ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty interesting in-depth IndyStar article on the offseason with Tom Allen

If we look only at last season the prospects for this season aren't good. There are a number of new coaches but overall, I think the staff has improved.

If we look at the players, then this season has real promise to make 2021 an anomaly. IU has players that can be stand outs in the B1G and if the attitude and injuries stay under control the 2022 season could be a good one.

If we look only at last season the prospects for this season aren't good. There are a number of new coaches but overall, I think the staff has improved.

If we look at the players, then this season has real promise to make 2021 an anomaly. IU has players that can be stand outs in the B1G and if the attitude and injuries stay under control the 2022 season could be a good one.
The two things that will dictate how the defense does are (1) injuries and (2) the offense. If key guys are out for extended periods of time, that speaks for itself. As for the offense, if they can't put points on the board, can't stay on the field at all, and/or can't stop turning the ball over, then the defense could be outstanding and still not win games.

The two things that will dictate how the defense does are (1) injuries and (2) the offense. If key guys are out for extended periods of time, that speaks for itself. As for the offense, if they can't put points on the board, can't stay on the field at all, and/or can't stop turning the ball over, then the defense could be outstanding and still not win games.
I don't think there is much doubt the offense will be better than last season. How much better is the question but I bet it will be much better.

The biggest issue and problem of last year all relates back to a poorly prepared and performing offensive line. That was a domino effect that led to no rushing game, QBs with no time to throw and getting injured, no offense which led to a tired defense.
The first normal move would have been to let the O Line coach go. Especially because it was a pattern.
Because that didn't happen we have to hold out hope that somebody is helping get that area straightened out. I hope Bell, TA, and Rod Carey can oversee and improve that area. I would think Bell would take the bull by the horns and make sure changes are made because his success depends on it.

In addition it sounds like TA is trying to get his staff to get along better. Or work together better than last year.

I all comes down to how prepared we are to take the field against Illinois. Did players commit this offseason? I hope these guys get better in the weight room and playbook this offseason.

The biggest issue and problem of last year all relates back to a poorly prepared and performing offensive line. That was a domino effect that led to no rushing game, QBs with no time to throw and getting injured, no offense which led to a tired defense.
The first normal move would have been to let the O Line coach go. Especially because it was a pattern.
Because that didn't happen we have to hold out hope that somebody is helping get that area straightened out. I hope Bell, TA, and Rod Carey can oversee and improve that area. I would think Bell would take the bull by the horns and make sure changes are made because his success depends on it.

In addition it sounds like TA is trying to get his staff to get along better. Or work together better than last year.

I all comes down to how prepared we are to take the field against Illinois. Did players commit this offseason? I hope these guys get better in the weight room and playbook this offseason.
I did not realize there was inter-staff bickering. Was one guy the problem or 2 or 3?

Reactions: mk30
The D better ready to stop the run vs Illinois. It’s a secret to no one that BB will look to run the ball 50 times or more every game, especially vs IU.

That’s why it will be so important for the IU O to have some sustained drives early and score. Having to play catch-up vs a running team like this will not bode well.

If there’s a coach out there that I want IU to beat more than this guy, I don’t know who that is.

This is the thing that stuck out most to me.

Allen said he brought in an outside group to evaluate strength and conditioning practices and anything else that could explain why the Hoosiers had so many injuries after they had very few in 2020.

The study confirmed something Allen suspected, much of it was simply a product of bad luck. The Hoosiers didn't have many soft-tissue injuries, which generally are a sign of players being over- or under-trained. Instead, most of the injuries were ligaments or bones along with some Achilles tendon injuries.

T
he way our lines played and all the injuries usually points to S&C. Lets see how this season plays out from an injury standpoint, last year was horrible.

Also, liked the fact that 6 players came in after the Purdue loss to discuss 2022. The new groups being developed to hold people accountable sounds like its getting back to basics. Allen simplifying the defense which is also refreshing. I can't count the times we were standing in our shoes last year which means guys were having to think too much instead of playing fast and instinctive.

Its preseason and were undefeated :). I just hope IU football is fun again. Last year was gut wrenching.

Yes OL was a problem but the genesis of the low offensive output was a soft and inept OC. He was inept in that he didn't have the wherewithal to fix the dilemma he created. He was soft in that he didn't have the O staff organized under his control enough to demand position coaches with under performing units to reposture their efforts aided by his own experiences. His personality, experience and drive to succeed were all a few levels below what's needed for an OC in the B1G. He was a DeBord clone. History proved both needed high level talent to attain success. Any less talent and we saw in person the final results.

Last edited:
Just read the first 1/3 of the article. Honestly, the guy worries me.
Not sure you are referring to CTA but I have to say that CTA worries me. In that article he sounds like some newby coach still trying to figure things out about running a football program. He's been coaching for 30 years and this is his 6th season yet he sounds like a guy who doesn't understand how to build or establish the right culture or prepare a team. Last season was a total failure and he did a horrible job preparing the team after the success of our covid season. Sure we had a few injuries but the team looked horrible from the first snap of the Iowa game. Very very ill prepared. If we had some bad apples in there as far as coaches or kids feeling like they were better than they were then that is totally on him. It's hard to see things getting much better this season. Let's just say that I don't jump on the off season hype wagon like many people do.

He's made in my estimation near all the neccessary changes earmarked by a horrible season. But the biggest change is we'll not be penciling in at QB a perpetually injured albeit talented player. That is a big rock in the road removed. As far as I'm concerned all the #1 priority snaps MP handled in off season and preseason camp were wasted and handicapped the offense just as if they played 10 on 11. Under Bell QB's will be much better prepared.

He's made in my estimation near all the neccessary changes earmarked by a horrible season. But the biggest change is we'll not be penciling in at QB a perpetually injured albeit talented player. That is a big rock in the road removed. As far as I'm concerned all the #1 priority snaps MP handled in off season and preseason camp were wasted and handicapped the offense just as if they played 10 on 11. Under Bell QB's will be much better prepared.
How can you possible know if QBs will be better prepared under Bell? It's not like the guy has this incredible resume as an offensive guru. He has some experience as an OC which is good but nothing about him screams success. Let's hope he isn't just another old time CTA connection.

Not sure you are referring to CTA but I have to say that CTA worries me. In that article he sounds like some newby coach still trying to figure things out about running a football program. He's been coaching for 30 years and this is his 6th season yet he sounds like a guy who doesn't understand how to build or establish the right culture or prepare a team. Last season was a total failure and he did a horrible job preparing the team after the success of our covid season. Sure we had a few injuries but the team looked horrible from the first snap of the Iowa game. Very very ill prepared. If we had some bad apples in there as far as coaches or kids feeling like they were better than they were then that is totally on him. It's hard to see things getting much better this season. Let's just say that I don't jump on the off season hype wagon like many people do.
I can't agree with he sounds like a guy who doesn't understand how to build or establish. We went to back to back bowl games. Who does that at IU football? Yea we were overconfident and it bit us in the ass. A couple games though for instance the Cincinnati game. Costly mistake on the goal line end of game. I wonder if that would have given us some momentum. Injuries blah blah. It's the Big10. We had a target because of the prior 2 seasons. Suddenly we were not the auto W we used to be and teams came in wanting to punch us in the mouth. That was us the prior seasons we had the chip and attitude.

There's a lot of schools out there that made good decisions regarding coaches and it paid dividends.

I'm not giving up on Allen he knows what he's up against and owns his crap.

Sure the jury is still out, but I have to believe we are coming out game 1 with a fire this year.

I'm not nearly as worried about the defense as I am the offense. We have 3 capable guys back there at QB, and a couple of speed backs which we have not seen in a long time in Shivers and Lucas.

Bell has proven himself in the past and he either puts up or he goes all the way back to position coaching.

Without getting down this is a time for optimism. I can't help myself sorry it's May and these next couple months are always filled with anxious anticipation.

Last edited:
I find it remarkable that a guy who led a horrid program to two of its best seasons ever can suddenly forget how to put his pants on after one season.

/s

TA is not a concern. I just want to see the offense throw a damn TD pass.

We’re really starting over on offense which, after last season, is the only real choice. New OC / QB coach, new RB coach, new Receivers coach, almost entirely new at the skill positions, and several new OL and TE. Not exactly comforting as you enter a coach’s 6th season, but that’s where we are. Lots of questions that we won’t know the answer to until the Fall. The defense should be a better unit, especially the back 7.

Go Hoosiers.

We’re really starting over on offense which, after last season, is the only real choice. New OC / QB coach, new RB coach, new Receivers coach, almost entirely new at the skill positions, and several new OL and TE. Not exactly comforting as you enter a coach’s 6th season, but that’s where we are. Lots of questions that we won’t know the answer to until the Fall. The defense should be a better unit, especially the back 7.

Go Hoosiers.
Also new coaches on the defense too. I guess this is the new norm in college football now. Everything seems to be a revolving door not only with players in the portal, but coaches as well.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I can't agree with he sounds like a guy who doesn't understand how to build or establish. We went to back to back bowl games. Who does that at IU football? Yea we were overconfident and it bit us in the ass. A couple games though for instance the Cincinnati game. Costly mistake on the goal line end of game. I wonder if that would have given us some momentum. Injuries blah blah. It's the Big10. We had a target because of the prior 2 seasons. Suddenly we were not the auto W we used to be and teams came in wanting to punch us in the mouth. That was us the prior seasons we had the chip and attitude.

There's a lot of schools out there that made good decisions regarding coaches and it paid dividends.

I'm not giving up on Allen he knows what he's up against and owns his crap.

Sure the jury is still out, but I have to believe we are coming out game 1 without a fire this year.

I'm not nearly as worried about the defense as I am the offense. We have 3 capable guys back there at QB, and a couple of speed backs which we have not seen in a long time in Shivers and Lucas.

Bell has proven himself in the past and he either puts up or he goes all the way back to position coaching.

Without getting down this is a time for optimism. I can't help myself sorry it's May and these next couple months are always filled with anxious anticipation.

Under Allen, IU has always been able to put a respectable offense on the field with the exception of 2021. Not necessarily lighting it up, but enough offense to have a chance to win most games before this past year. The big story this past year was QB injuries (4 different starters including a freshman and a walkon) and Penix not being close to 100% to start the year, which would hurt any team, but I think it exposed a lot of weaknesses of Sheridan.

I'm beginning to think that it was Sheridan's call to start a highly limited Penix at the beginning of the year. Then when QB's went down, Tuttle and then McCulley didn't look prepared to play. Together I think this is the major reason why Allen fired Sheridan.

How can you possible know if QBs will be better prepared under Bell? It's not like the guy has this incredible resume as an offensive guru. He has some experience as an OC which is good but nothing about him screams success. Let's hope he isn't just another old time CTA connection.
Because the QB situation has changed. No longer reliant on the chronically injured #1 signal caller. Also if you believe NS is an equal QB coach to Bell then nothing I post will change your opinion. Bell in trying to figure his top 3 QB's by focusing on knowing their capabilities vs. Sheridan working near exclusively with QB1 and to a lesser extent with QB2. Also if events change QB seating arrangement he does have some experience from that very instance happening at Maryland. He is just more rounded in doing his job as he holds more experience, like working eyeball to eyeball with Hiller installing his offense to the OL during Spring camp. He appears to me to be a detail observer.

I still wonder what last year would've been if we didn't start off with that immediate gut-punch against Iowa.

Like, even if we still lost. I think if that first half goes even a little different and they aren't staring at 31-3 going into the halftime break, the team's mentality isn't so fragile. You come into the year with so much hope and confidence, and then just about every possible negative possibility smacks you in the face not even thirty minutes into your season.

Then you eat your two cupcakes and have a top 5 team on the ropes a few weeks later, only to lose it all by having your heart and soul taken from you in one half, and are kicked while you are down by an absolutely back-breaking clutch red-zone turnover right on the doorstep after you had recovered and were in position to retake control of the game.

Like, there were a lot of things early in the season that were more circumstantial than performance-based that it is easy look at and see how they could throw a team's mentality off-kilter. Even if you'd hope they would have been able to bounce back.

I still wonder what last year would've been if we didn't start off with that immediate gut-punch against Iowa.

Like, even if we still lost. I think if that first half goes even a little different and they aren't staring at 31-3 going into the halftime break, the team's mentality isn't so fragile. You come into the year with so much hope and confidence, and then just about every possible negative possibility smacks you in the face not even thirty minutes into your season.

Then you eat your two cupcakes and have a top 5 team on the ropes a few weeks later, only to lose it all by having your heart and soul taken from you in one half, and are kicked while you are down by an absolutely back-breaking clutch red-zone turnover right on the doorstep after you had recovered and were in position to retake control of the game.

Like, there were a lot of things early in the season that were more circumstantial than performance-based that it is easy look at and see how they could throw a team's mentality off-kilter. Even if you'd hope they would have been able to bounce back.
Handling adversity and prime opportunities are a reflection of the head coach. It’s not just that we had some “bad luck.” The coaching, across the board, was horrific. And, they couldn’t motivate or regroup the team. That’s on Allen.

Under Allen, IU has always been able to put a respectable offense on the field with the exception of 2021. Not necessarily lighting it up, but enough offense to have a chance to win most games before this past year. The big story this past year was QB injuries (4 different starters including a freshman and a walkon) and Penix not being close to 100% to start the year, which would hurt any team, but I think it exposed a lot of weaknesses of Sheridan.

I'm beginning to think that it was Sheridan's call to start a highly limited Penix at the beginning of the year. Then when QB's went down, Tuttle and then McCulley didn't look prepared to play. Together I think this is the major reason why Allen fired Sheridan.
I’m sure Sheridan had a big role, but Coach Allen couldnt,have been more clear that Penix was ready to go when the season started. That was CTA’s call, and it should’ve been.

“So very encouraged by his progress and he's right where we hoped he would be and he's a hundred percent ready to be the starter on Saturday and so that's great.”

Go Hoosiers.

• Sad
Reactions: mk30

"Fragile" is the operative word for this team last year. Penix was not ready to go mentally and that hurt, and then the meltdown after the bad call on Micah spelled game set and season for this team.

Obviously this rests at TA's feet and hopefully they have a better result this year.

Reactions: mk30 and Indianaftw

Nothing screams success? Maybe not a huge wins, certainly not at UMass (a bad career choice in my opinion) but you don’t get three D1 OC jobs in low 30’s if haven’t shown some chops.

I sure wish Allen would have let go Sheridan and Hiller and let Bell hire his own OL coach. But by all accounts he seems to be more hands on and have more leadership than Sheridan, who was not ready! Hiller has to know he’s on double secret probation this season which I hope OL does better so offense can step it up!

Are you referring to CTA? He is the least of my worries!
Well, yeah. We've all got worries about this program. For one, how does the OL coach still have a locker in the building? But honestly, I just don't know if Tom is the mega-leader he needs to be to get this program back to a respectable place. Then to keep it there. Might be just me, but I kinda cringe when he speaks. Seems too fast and often too emotional. Pretty much the opposite of an accomplished coach like Nick Saban.

Well, yeah. We've all got worries about this program. For one, how does the OL coach still have a locker in the building? But honestly, I just don't know if Tom is the mega-leader he needs to be to get this program back to a respectable place. Then to keep it there. Might be just me, but I kinda cringe when he speaks. Seems too fast and often too emotional. Pretty much the opposite of an accomplished coach like Nick Saban.
Are you really comparing CTA to Nick Saban (probably the greatest college FB coach of all-time)?

I know you said near. Hiller was retained so that is an issue to overcome

Reactions: mk30 and vesuvius13
Nothing screams success? Maybe not a huge wins, certainly not at UMass (a bad career choice in my opinion) but you don’t get three D1 OC jobs in low 30’s if haven’t shown some chops.

I sure wish Allen would have let go Sheridan and Hiller and let Bell hire his own OL coach. But by all accounts he seems to be more hands on and have more leadership than Sheridan, who was not ready! Hiller has to know he’s on double secret probation this season which I hope OL does better so offense can step it up!
Lol I feel like Hiller putting together an offensive line that's above average in the B1G feels like a miracle. I'm truly amazed Carter Smith chose Indiana over NW and Tennessee given the O-line track record of the three respective schools. If that miracle does occur and our O-line bounces back to what it was in the KW days I'll be thrilled, but I think we can all agree that Hiller being retained was a questionable decision and that he would have certainly been canned at the big boy programs. Fingers crossed Indiana's offense is at least watchable next year.

I know you said near. Hiller was retained so that is an issue to overcome
...and undoubtedly solid parameters have been installed that Hiller must recognize will be used to judge results of his '22' coaching performance...he may be getting so much attention he can't fail...he'll certainly wield Allen's brand to motivate his charges...

Reactions: vesuvius13
Handling adversity and prime opportunities are a reflection of the head coach. It’s not just that we had some “bad luck.” The coaching, across the board, was horrific. And, they couldn’t motivate or regroup the team. That’s on Allen.
Exactly. We failed to show up against Iowa and stunk from the first snap of that game right through November.

Reactions: Hoosier009
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT