ADVERTISEMENT

Potential RB coaches?

lUCX9

Benchwarmer
Nov 30, 2018
So... Hiller is still here and we replaced Sheridan with Bell.

Now, McCullough could be replaced with...

I've been looking to pick up a side hustle since I gave up my paper route.

Lesson 1: Hold on to the football
Lesson 2: It's a N/S game
Lesson 3: Keep moving your feet

I'll let you know how the interview pans out.

I've been looking to pick up a side hustle since I gave up my paper route.

Lesson 1: Hold on to the football
Lesson 2: It's a N/S game
Lesson 3: Keep moving your feet

I'll let you know how the interview pans out.
You missed step number One, the one Vince Lombardi used to open every Summer Training Camp as head Coach,
1. "Gentlemen, this is a Football".

We can make any list of top 8 or 10 RB coaches out there we want but I highly doubt any of them will consider coming here after the best RB coach on the planet just left because he couldn't envision his personal upward mobility being enhanced here...

All the best ones are, or at least hope they are, on a career track to become an OC and eventually, an HC... If Mc didn't think that being here this year could help make that happen for him do you think these other established guys are going to chance it...? They're not coming...

Our best move right now (in my opinion) is to find a talented young guy who's looking to step up a level and is a good fit with Bell's approach...

Find a guy who enjoys coaching, knows techniques and is proven to be a hard worker and a team player and we'll be fine at that position...

Here’s one: Antwan Randle-El!

Currently WR coach in Tampa Bay right? Ex-IU legend, playmaker, NFL pedigree too. Been around enough of offensive rooms on NFL and gifted runner himself, I’d be comfortable with him as RB coach.
I’d love to see ARE pull a Jim Leonhard and come home to end up being OC some day. Lord knows he was around some creative offenses in Pittsburgh with him, Ward, and Roethlisberger (and Stewart early in ARE’s tenure there).

Why would any RB coach want to come to IU with the OL performance the last five years? How could he hope to succeed and potentially progress in his career with the understanding that he can do the absolute best job humanly possible in coach RB skills and techniques and be destined for failure because the OLs will be horrible and won't open any holes ever?

Reactions: ulrey and 82hoosier
We can make any list of top 8 or 10 RB coaches out there we want but I highly doubt any of them will consider coming here after the best RB coach on the planet just left because he couldn't envision his personal upward mobility being enhanced here...

All the best ones are, or at least hope they are, on a career track to become an OC and eventually, an HC... If Mc didn't think that being here this year could help make that happen for him do you think these other established guys are going to chance it...? They're not coming...

Our best move right now (in my opinion) is to find a talented young guy who's looking to step up a level and is a good fit with Bell's approach...

Find a guy who enjoys coaching, knows techniques and is proven to be a hard worker and a team player and we'll be fine at that position...
Hardly. Not enough ND's needing a RB coach for all the other 'good 1's' to be hired at.

Why would any RB coach want to come to IU with the OL performance the last five years? How could he hope to succeed and potentially progress in his career with the understanding that he can do the absolute best job humanly possible in coach RB skills and techniques and be destined for failure because the OLs will be horrible and won't open any holes ever?
Well our last two RB coaches have been poached by UM and ND respectively. Not exactly like we are firing them left and right for poor production. The idea that a successful G5 RB coach (like Johnson of Liberty who I mentioned above) wouldn't want a promotion and raise to come to IU just because of Hiller seems silly.

Here’s one: Antwan Randle-El!

Currently WR coach in Tampa Bay right? Ex-IU legend, playmaker, NFL pedigree too. Been around enough of offensive rooms on NFL and gifted runner himself, I’d be comfortable with him as RB coach.
why the **** would he come here as a running back coach, especially with the talent of the OC coaches around him?

Here is a weird thought. Harbaugh is leaving Michigan and they will be going through Coach and probably Assistant Coaching Changes. What if Mike Hart becomes available and looks like the most Qualified Candidate. Do you consider Him, or do the lyrics to the Song "Once Bitten, Twice Shy Babe" start playing in Your head.

Here is a weird thought. Harbaugh is leaving Michigan and they will be going through Coach and probably Assistant Coaching Changes. What if Mike Hart becomes available and looks like the most Qualified Candidate. Do you consider Him, or do the lyrics to the Song "Once Bitten, Twice Shy Babe" start playing in Your head.
Hart was a good recruiter and could pick talent. But he also ran his horse (Stevie) pretty hard and didn't give a lot of opportunity to others. I'd take him if he wanted to come back but he wouldn't be long for IU. He clearly wants to be an OC or HC.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Great running backs are great because they are physically gifted. I don’t thing that gives them a leg up as a coach.

Hardly. Not enough ND's needing a RB coach for all the other 'good 1's' to be hired at.
If they already have an equal or better job why would they make a lateral move, at best, after seeing McCollough walk?

There are plenty of good up and comers that can handle the RB position while falling into a more comfortable fit with the actual HC and the actual OC...

Here's a slightly "out of the box" approach to solving this hiring issue:

Move Coach Wright from TE's to RB's..., and... bring in This guy as TE's coach:

He's worked with Bell and has a background of coaching the OL (so he could teach our TE's to actually make their blocks and perhaps help Hiller out with technique in some manner)... The $ numbers should be easily workable too...

Another option (as TE coach along with OL technique skills):

Yes..., that's "our own" D. Friend... Bring him back from the deep freeze... Have mercy on him.....😉😎💨❄️❄️❄️☃️

Last edited:
$$$ should not be an issue - DMc was 5th highest paid RB coach in the country! I believe Bell was payed less than Sheridan. Not sure about DC & DL comparable pay.
If Hiller underperforms this yr, we should have plenty of $$ to go get a top OL coach

Harbaugh is staying at Michigan.

$$$ should not be an issue - DMc was 5th highest paid RB coach in the country! I believe Bell was payed less than Sheridan. Not sure about DC & DL comparable pay.
If Hiller underperforms this yr, we should have plenty of $$ to go get a top OL coach
The fact that Allen thought Sheridan was worth that type of money shows his lack of understanding on the offensive side of the ball. It was right for him to take that paycut for paying Sheridan in the first place.

Makes me even more interested if he actually sees anything in Bell, or if Bell was just so nice and interviewed so well.

I posted that last night when the rumor was that He was leaving.
Yeah..., he even fooled Football Scoop (who's reporting I was going by when I posted him gone)...

Typical Harbaugh... Nobody knows what's going on in that head of his but him...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT