ADVERTISEMENT

Post Spring Game Observations

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Didn't get to see all of 2nd half, but from what I saw, some thoughts heading into wait until the OSU game to kick things off.

Offense:

Still think Lagow is the QB to go with to start, but like many, Ramsey shows promise and would seem to be the clear #2 now, which is probably good to have that pecking order settled. Lagow does throw some great balls, but still has some yips/happy feet it seems to me. Hope he keeps improving.

TE's - seem very good there with Thomas, Friend and now Bonner. Seems like Thomas wants shot at NFL and is going all in. He has the size and really looks good.

WR's - best position group on offense (if not the team). Appear to have about 6-7 legit talented guys they can rotate and keep fresh bodies going. Cobbs/Westbrook lead the way, but a lot of able bodies who will see time. Could be the serious passing game story next year and like the new coach too.

RB's - hard to judge off last night alone, but this area is "concerning" right now. Don't see the knockout punch, breakaway talent anywhere near the caliber of what we've had last 3 seasons (yes, even including Devine Redding, 2 yr 1000 yard seasons.) Hoping Patrick can be the real deal, and others step up.

OL - my biggest concern of entire offense. Last night did not show them creating great holes for run game, nor incredible protection for passing game. New coach, some new players stepping up. Like football at any level - sometimes as the OL goes, so goes the offense. This is a watch area of concern until we see them gel and show they are B10 level. (Spriggs/Feeney spoiled us!)

DEFENSE:
DLine - like the depth, aggressiveness and activity, especially from Def ends. I think there are players with lot of experience who are ready to step up and there is depth for fresh bodies.

LB - Tegray is going to be an all-american again. So who is going to step up as wing man and provide real depth. I think the crew we have now will. Not too worried here either at Tegray is poised for a great year.

DB - Think we have real talent here. Fant/Ball/Green are really good. Riggins back and improving. Lots of good play and some good freshmen coming in too with talent. Unlike many years in past, think the DBs have the athleticism and talent to be in top tier of B10, really do.

Overall the defense has a new swagger. Tom Allen has transformed the culture and they have good coaches here too.

Like what is happening overall. Love Coach and positive spirit throughout. I see this as a #breakthrough for at least the 7 game win season...believe it could be more if the offense can gel. And specifically the Oline/RB (running game) to then open up what could be an amazing passing game if have good protection and a running game they have to be concerned about.

Fun stuff...leaves us excited for the "Upset heard around the world" vs. Ohio State!

Didn't get to see all of 2nd half, but from what I saw, some thoughts heading into wait until the OSU game to kick things off.

Offense:

Still think Lagow is the QB to go with to start, but like many, Ramsey shows promise and would seem to be the clear #2 now, which is probably good to have that pecking order settled. Lagow does throw some great balls, but still has some yips/happy feet it seems to me. Hope he keeps improving.

TE's - seem very good there with Thomas, Friend and now Bonner. Seems like Thomas wants shot at NFL and is going all in. He has the size and really looks good.

WR's - best position group on offense (if not the team). Appear to have about 6-7 legit talented guys they can rotate and keep fresh bodies going. Cobbs/Westbrook lead the way, but a lot of able bodies who will see time. Could be the serious passing game story next year and like the new coach too.

RB's - hard to judge off last night alone, but this area is "concerning" right now. Don't see the knockout punch, breakaway talent anywhere near the caliber of what we've had last 3 seasons (yes, even including Devine Redding, 2 yr 1000 yard seasons.) Hoping Patrick can be the real deal, and others step up.

OL - my biggest concern of entire offense. Last night did not show them creating great holes for run game, nor incredible protection for passing game. New coach, some new players stepping up. Like football at any level - sometimes as the OL goes, so goes the offense. This is a watch area of concern until we see them gel and show they are B10 level. (Spriggs/Feeney spoiled us!)

DEFENSE:
DLine - like the depth, aggressiveness and activity, especially from Def ends. I think there are players with lot of experience who are ready to step up and there is depth for fresh bodies.

LB - Tegray is going to be an all-american again. So who is going to step up as wing man and provide real depth. I think the crew we have now will. Not too worried here either at Tegray is poised for a great year.

DB - Think we have real talent here. Fant/Ball/Green are really good. Riggins back and improving. Lots of good play and some good freshmen coming in too with talent. Unlike many years in past, think the DBs have the athleticism and talent to be in top tier of B10, really do.

Overall the defense has a new swagger. Tom Allen has transformed the culture and they have good coaches here too.

Like what is happening overall. Love Coach and positive spirit throughout. I see this as a #breakthrough for at least the 7 game win season...believe it could be more if the offense can gel. And specifically the Oline/RB (running game) to then open up what could be an amazing passing game if have good protection and a running game they have to be concerned about.

Fun stuff...leaves us excited for the "Upset heard around the world" vs. Ohio State!
Good thoughts, although with the RBs, we literally only dressed 2 guys, both walkons. So you can't really determine much from that.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
. . . with the RBs, we literally only dressed 2 guys, both walkons . . . .

Why is that?

Were the rest of the RBs hurt? Were they withheld because the coaching staff didn't want to tip their hand regarding the running game prior to the O$U game?

Why is that?

Were the rest of the RBs hurt? Were they withheld because the coaching staff didn't want to tip their hand regarding the running game prior to the O$U game?
Various states of injury. Camion is still only doing non contact drills.

Offense:

DEFENSE:

Not a bad breakdown...only disagree on a few areas. The RBs on both sides ran with power...not bad for walkons. The line needs work but was adaquate. We wont have the line weve had the last few years. That is a rebuild/reload area for certain . New coach too, but the potential looks to be there. Could be rough against the top teams.

As for the defense, thats the area that concerned me a bit. Lots of missed tackles, average pass coverage, mental mistakes. Lots of points scored..,with Allens help a bit vbg...But maybe the D was hurt more by the splitting up. Whole they should be fine.

7 wins? Sure, its possible, but 5-6 seems more realistic, based on our history.

Of course, its up to this staff to break out...we are close. Next season could be historic...we hope.

Difficult to assess any firm feel go the OL since the pieces of 1s and 2s on both teams. Did not see RB talent like we have had the last 4-5 yrs. Hopefully Patrick can get healthy & stay healthy in the fall.

Reactions: IUcolorado
Difficult to assess any firm feel go the OL since the pieces of 1s and 2s on both teams. Did not see RB talent like we have had the last 4-5 yrs. Hopefully Patrick can get healthy & stay healthy in the fall.
Ive been watching IU RBs for more than 40 years and Ive seen much much worse than we have now. A-Rod was a beast...played every down...caught passes. So did Bollinger (sp). Both backs were excellent. Cant count the tackles they broke. I think youre selling them a bit short. And look...if Patrick was going to be a factor, he would have before now. Bottom line...he cant stay healthy. No reason for that to change now. Hope different, but cant wait on him imo.

I don't get people worried about the backs based on this game...you do realize we were watching our #6 and #7 string backs right? With two more coming in the summer? Even at that, the guys acquitted themselves quite well I thought. Get Patrick, Williams, Majette, Gest, Natee, and two frosh back in the rotation and we will be fine back there. Throw in Ramsey running option and we gave a versatile backfield to work with. The running game will go as far as the OL takes it this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT