ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Do you think Tom will be back in '24?

Will Tom be IUFB HC in '24?

• Yes.

Votes: 71 49.3%
  • No.

Votes: 73 50.7%

• Total voters
You can immediately begin the search for the next coach and you don’t have to wait until end of the year. So I disagree….there is a benefit.
I don't know whether it is kosher these days to be contacting the agents of employed HCs during the season to gauge interest.......if so, there would be that benefit.

One reason to wait 2-3 weeks would be to try to negotiate a buyout. Give it the old college try and if that doesn't work pull the plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
You can immediately begin the search for the next coach and you don’t have to wait until end of the year. So I disagree….there is a benefit.
No one coaching anywhere will interview now. Wisconsin fired Paul Chryst in October last season. Do you think they had an opportunity with Fickell before the season ended?

Reactions: vesuvius13
No one coaching anywhere will interview now. Wisconsin fired Paul Chryst in October last season. Do you think they had an opportunity with Fickell before the season ended?
Agree no one would interview, nor should we ask. But, it would be beneficial to gauge interest by talking to agents to narrow the list and make the quickest hire possible at the end of the year. It might also signal our interest so that potential candidates would hear us out before they jump elsewhere...I'm talking about MAC level HCs or P5 coordinators.

I saw an SI dated 10/2/22 about this trend. By that date last year, HCs had been fired at Wisconsin, Colorado, GT, Nebraska, and ASU.

As someone suggested, make Carey the IHC.

There's a lot of nonsense in this thread ( and others similar) about the administration not caring about having a
I get your point about motives but IU has had a number of coaches that could win at IU but couldn't sustain that trend. The question becomes what is it at IU that winning coaches from sustaining the winning seasons. It is clear to me that you have to get past the coaches to find the answer and the next level is the administration.

We can't know administrators' motivations; we can look at their actions to see if they put pedal to the metal to have a winning football program that last.

Agree no one would interview, nor should we ask. But, it would be beneficial to gauge interest by talking to agents to narrow the list and make the quickest hire possible at the end of the year. It might also signal our interest so that potential candidates would hear us out before they jump elsewhere...I'm talking about MAC level HCs or P5 coordinators.

I saw an SI dated 10/2/22 about this trend. By that date last year, HCs had been fired at Wisconsin, Colorado, GT, Nebraska, and ASU.

Anyone worth considering will have options, or they aren’t worth considering. We’re going to have to work hard to get the right guy, and includes competing with other schools for him.

Yes, let's hire another coach from inside the Indiana "family" without any recruiting effort. What could go wrong.

It ultimately depends on how the season finishes. If it continues how it is now, and it most likely will, then id say even the most incompetent administration would have to make a move. Buyout be damned. IU has the money.

I see no reason to delay, other than as necessary to try to negotiate a buy-out; if that's not in the cards, keeping him around any longer serves no purpose, but sends the message that we're ok being the BT's garbage program.

This situation is similar to the Scott Frost situation at Nebraska in so far as the prospects for a last-second turnaround were nil.

I see no reason to delay, other than as necessary to try to negotiate a buy-out; if that's not in the cards, keeping him around any longer serves no purpose, but sends the message that we're ok being the BT's garbage program.

This situation is similar to the Scott Frost situation at Nebraska in so far as the prospects for a last-second turnaround wer9e nil.
I agree. Clean house now. Why wait. If Dolson does it now at least he's showing the fans he's actually interested in improving the program. There maybe hope for the future.

He has reached the point where He has used up any good will He built up from the two winning teams that went to bowl games, The drop off from where We were 3 Years ago has been quick and difficult to fully understand, Recruiting didn't take off as You would expect from that level of success, and the extra COVID Year that players were awarded, yhe transfer portal, and NIL Money all have an effect.

However when You see the same fundamental mistakes over and over that aren't corrected, bone headed plays that give free yardage and field position to our Opponents, and misuse and waste of time outs, all of that points to coaching, and the buck stops with the Head Coach.

At this level, Coaching is a " What Have You done for Me lately" proposition. Tom Allen has not done enough over the past 3 years to justify continuing as Coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT