ADVERTISEMENT

Politico reporting Trump is ending DACA

Even though business leaders report that it will be bad for the economy. All about that base.,,,
The six month delay gives Congress a chance to act. But with the Tea Party and Freedom Caucus factions in the House, I'm not confident of any humane legislation being passed.

Make America White Again!

I wonder what Native Americans are thinking now... mirrors for sale? Its disgusting what this country is turning into.

tumblr_inline_orekae8QzG1sz9gyq_400.gif

''Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I wonder if Trump has ever visited the Statue despite being on a few miles from that temple of doom that is known as Trump Tower.

Last edited:
The six month delay gives Congress a chance to act. But with the Tea Party and Freedom Caucus factions in the House, I'm not confident of any humane legislation being passed.

Technically, isn't Sessions correct when he claims that immigration law should be written by Congress and not the Executive branch? One wonders if he would consider all laws to be manifested in the same way, considering each branches supposed roles and responsibilities.

I agree though, Congressional Pubs will certainly not demonstrate any humanity, let alone sanity on this one. I'd be shocked if those morons even pass any legislation at all before the deadline, given their incompetence.

Technically, isn't Sessions correct when he claims that immigration law should be written by Congress and not the Executive branch? One wonders if he would consider all laws to be manifested in the same way, considering each branches supposed roles and responsibilities.

I agree though, Congressional Pubs will certainly not demonstrate any humanity, let alone sanity on this one. I'd be shocked if those morons even pass any legislation at all before the deadline, given their incompetence.
This could be an opportunity for a genuine bipartisan response. Even though I think DACA was good policy, Congress was always going to need to step up and formalize it. If they actually do so within the six months, maybe Trump's action here will accidentally turn into something positive.

This could be an opportunity for a genuine bipartisan response. Even though I think DACA was good policy, Congress was always going to need to step up and formalize it. If they actually do so within the six months, maybe Trump's action here will accidentally turn into something positive.

don't hold your breath

Reactions: Bill4411

That's my hope as well.

Not holding my breath, but it'd be nice if Trump actually pushed Republicans to pass one of the bipartisan bills out there on this issue.

Even though business leaders report that it will be bad for the economy. All about that base.,,,

While DACA is a policy that I agree with....Congress must be responsible for this, and do their job. I think the 6 month delay is the appropriate action. There are way too many items where Congress has given up their responsibilities to the executive branch and become impotent in actual policy making.

Marijuana is another similar issue where federal law is having to be ignored via executive fiat, even though it's bipartisan that it should be a state determination.

While DACA is a policy that I agree with....Congress must be responsible for this, and do their job. I think the 6 month delay is the appropriate action.

And what happens when Congress doesn't act? 800k people are thrown under the bus and deported to places they have never been? Many probably aren't even citizens of those countries lol. We are talking about stateless people.

And what happens when Congress doesn't act? 800k people are thrown under the bus and deported to places they have never been? Many probably aren't even citizens of those countries lol. We are talking about stateless people.
FWIW, deportation is not a one-way street. If a country doesn't think the person is a citizen or otherwise has a right to enter, they will refuse to accept them. So regardless of DACA, truly stateless people in most cases probably can't be expelled, anyway. (For this very reason, most countries have specific immigration laws dealing with stateless people, usually including a special process for obtaining citizenship.)

FWIW, deportation is not a one-way street. If a country doesn't think the person is a citizen or otherwise has a right to enter, they will refuse to accept them. So regardless of DACA, truly stateless people in most cases probably can't be expelled, anyway. (For this very reason, most countries have specific immigration laws dealing with stateless people, usually including a special process for obtaining citizenship.)

Yea, it's a complete ****ing mess. When Congress doesn't act it will be a cluster**** of epic proportions.

Marijuana is another similar issue where federal law is having to be ignored via executive fiat, even though it's bipartisan that it should be a state determination.

Is that true (re: bipartisan support for state determinations)? To me, that is a poor idea because of the implications it has around employment, drug testing, etc. (though I acknowledge that even though an action may be legal, an employer may still refuse to allow its employees to conduct such an action).

Yeah, precisely what my thread was about.

And, as I said, Trump should tell Congress he'll sign the dreamer bill and the border bill simultaneously. He's got a lot of leverage here and he should use it. He's going to have to in order to get his border measures through. If Congress fails to do that, that's on them not him.

Reactions: Lucy01
If Trump could he would stop anti-Cancer research because some moron told him that it was wasteful.

And, as I said, Trump should tell Congress he'll sign the dreamer bill and the border bill simultaneously. He's got a lot of leverage here and he should use it. He's going to have to in order to get his border measures through. If Congress fails to do that, that's on them not him.
I find it hard to understand how you can gloss over such a key difference. What I posted isn't at all what your thread was about, because I'm not saying this should be tied to the border.

If Trump terminates DACA that's 100 percent on him, and it's sociopathic to treat the lives of 800,000 innocents as leverage.

If Trump terminates DACA that's 100 percent on him, and it's sociopathic to treat the lives of 800,000 innocents as leverage.

Nope. DACA was unlawful. If Congress wants to extend it, that's on them, Trump has offered them an opening that he didn't have to offer. If they fail to take it, that's on them.

As for leverage, that's politics. Take it or lose it.

Nope. DACA was unlawful. If Congress wants to extend it, that's on them, Trump has offered them an opening that he didn't have to offer. If they fail to take it, that's on them.

Ayup. The law's the law. Can't be makin' no 'ceptions for no innocent people.

I love it when people who know nothing of the law pretend to be constitutional lawyers. But whatever the courts might ultimately decide about DACA, it is the law right now, and it will remain the law unless Trump terminates it. His decision to terminate it wouldn't give Congress any opening it doesn't already have, so your bizarre suggestion that Trump is doing dreamers a favor is nonsense.

About 800,000 people were brought to America as children. They've done all that we could have asked of them, and when offered an opportunity to legalize their status, they embraced it -- revealing their names, addresses, employers, and biometric information to the government. They grew up here and have nothing in the countries of their birth -- no family, no friends, no ties, no nothing. How'd you like to have the life you've lived since you were a child ripped away from you and be kicked off to some foreign country where you'll be lost and adrift, cut off from all you know and love?

I shouldn't be surprised by your callous disregard for people who aren't you. You voted for the most obviously unfit presidential candidate in history because you wanted a tax cut. Olympic detachment from anything unrelated to your narrow interest is par for the course.
To this sociopathic response I can only suggest that you perform an anatomically impossible act.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
If Obama cured cancer, he would reverse the cure. Everything Trump overturns is Obama's worst deal.

Nah, the Iran deal is the worst deal ever. Republicans here were shitting themselves daily over that deal. That deal places the US in imminent danger and gives Iran everything. Now? Silence. Can't imagine why.

Ayup. The law's the law. Can't be makin' no 'ceptions for no innocent people.

Well, yeah....the law is the law.

Hell, even DACA doesn't change their legal status. It only gives them a delay.

Trump doesn't owe these people anything. They voted against him and lost. That being the case, he's offered them a workaround. Will they take it or not?

I don't know -- but the ball's in their court...and, like it or not, that gives POTUS a lot of leverage.

Last edited:

What border bill are you talking about? The wall funding?

I love it when people who know nothing of the law pretend to be constitutional lawyers. But whatever the courts might ultimately decide about DACA, it is the law right now, and it will remain the law unless Trump terminates it. His decision to terminate it wouldn't give Congress any opening it doesn't already have, so your bizarre suggestion that Trump is doing dreamers a favor is nonsense.

About 800,000 people were brought to America as children. They've done all that we could have asked of them, and when offered an opportunity to legalize their status, they embraced it -- revealing their names, addresses, employers, and biometric information to the government. They grew up here and have nothing in the countries of their birth -- no family, no friends, no ties, no nothing. How'd you like to have the life you've lived since you were a child ripped away from you and be kicked off to some foreign country where you'll be lost and adrift, cut off from all you know and love?

I shouldn't be surprised by your callous disregard for people who aren't you. You voted for the most obviously unfit presidential candidate in history because you wanted a tax cut. Olympic detachment from anything unrelated to your narrow interest is par for the course.

To this sociopathic response I can only suggest that you perform an anatomically impossible act.

Suggest what you want, Rock. I don't care....and I'm not wrong.

If Congress does nothing, they lose their chance at legal status. Or they could play ball.

Trump is holding all the cards here...whatever you think about it.

much of the immigration debate stems from a "who's ox is being gored" pov.

anyone not hurt or benefiting from mass importation of surplus labor thinks cracking down is horrible.

Joe Workingman who has lost wages and benefits, or his job, insurance, and ability to make ends meet, sees them as making his life miserable, which they absolutely are, even if that isn't their intent..

as long as there is a large chunk of the population who's economic existence and very way of life is threatened by mass immigration, there will be push back.

only way to mitigate said push back, is to take all the hit from immigration from falling on the shoulders of Joe Workingman, while every employer in the country, and many others as well, benefit greatly or at least aren't hurt by it.

What border bill are you talking about? The wall funding?

Could be. Doesn't have to be -- but it could be.

Bottom line is: this move bought Trump a whole helluva lot of political leverage (assuming he chooses to use it...which I guess he will).

I get the sense that he doesn't mind if it expires with nothing to take its place. That was a concession he agreed to....which places him in the driver's seat.

Could be. Doesn't have to be -- but it could be.

Bottom line is: this move bought Trump a whole helluva lot of political leverage (assuming he chooses to use it...which I guess he will).

I get the sense that he doesn't mind if it expires with nothing to take its place. That was a concession he agreed to....which places him in the driver's seat.

Are you suggesting that he will refuse to sign a DACA Congressional fix unless it is accompanied by a wall funding measure?

I guess Trump is retarded enough to attempt that move.

Are you suggesting that he will refuse to sign a DACA Congressional fix unless it is accompanied by a wall funding measure?

I'm suggesting that's what he should do.

And I think it might be what he will do. That way, if they fail to do such a thing, it's on them....not him.

If Congress does nothing, they lose their chance at legal status. Or they could play ball.

So Trump is holding all the cards, but if he terminates DACA, that's on Congress. That's incoherent.

You aren't merely wrong on the dreamers. You're worse than that.

So Trump is holding all the cards, but if he terminates DACA, that's on Congress. That's incoherent.

How could anyone possibly expect Trump to sign a DACA bill?

Of course he's holding all the cards.

What's he lose if 6 months goes by and Congress fails to do anything?

Are you even the least bit familiar with the concept of leverage?

How could anyone possibly expect Trump to sign a DACA bill?
I think he could -- but he gave the 6 months and really didn't have to.

If the time lapses and there's no bill to sign, that sucks for Congress...but not for Trump. He gave a concession he didn't have to give.

immigration of surplus labor, skilled or unskilled, is a literal economic windfall for "business leaders".

and a disaster for Joe Workingman.

again, it's all about who's ox is being gored by it, and who's is being feed by it, which is a driving dynamic in all this that is being ignored in the discussion by everyone.

Of course he's holding all the cards.

What's he lose if 6 months goes by and Congress fails to do anything?

Are you even the least bit familiar with the concept of leverage?
Once again, I seem to have difficulty making myself understood to Trump supporters.

Trump has the power to devastate 800,000 innocents who were brought here as children by ripping away their lives and kicking them into some foreign country where they have nothing and no one. This is the sort of abject cruelty that only sociopaths would regard as leverage. ("Give the money, or I'll shoot the hostage.")

Your Olympic detachment from the suffering of people who aren't you is once again duly noted.

I think he could -- but he gave the 6 months and really didn't have to.

If the time lapses and there's no bill to sign, that sucks for Congress...but not for Trump. He gave a concession he didn't have to give.

Trump reverses DACA, Congress passes DACA legislation the next day. Trump immediately vetoes. That cool with you?

I expect Trump to act like the malignant little man he is. But he isn't the real problem. The real problem is that millions of Americans are perfectly happy with him being a malignant little man.

You can't fix stupid. The woman in line behind me to vote was a immigrant from a Latin american country, speaking heavily accented English, who was voting for Trump because "Hillary". She's exactly the kind of person who Trump supporters would deport if given the chance.

Reactions: Morrison

I don't think you have a clear sense of leverage here. Does the GOP-controlled Congress have some affinity for DACA that the rest of the world is unaware of? Would DACA suddenly become constitutional if President Trump were to keep it in place and extend? That's a no on both counts, so there's not really much incentive here for Congress to change the course it would have already taken. And without that incentive, there's no leverage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT