ADVERTISEMENT

Phinesee and Romeo

Who recruited Cody and Vic?
Who recruited Kyle Taber, Tijan Jobe, Bobby Capobianco, Bawa Muniru, Jeremiah Rivers, Hanner Mosquera-Perea, Peter Jurkin, Jeremy Hollowell, Devin Davis, Stanford Robinson, Emmitt Holt, Jeremiah April, Tim Priller, and Freddie McSwain? I'm sure there were more bad recruits during his tenure than what I listed here

Reactions: hoosierstateII
IU has a significant presence in Southern Indiana. Most of the IU fans are lifelong generational fans. The kids that get to choose, choose UK or UofL and sometimes Duke or UNC. Austin has a lot of UK fans because when Morgan foods moved from Hazard, KY, they brought many families with them. "Lifelong generational." IU just doesn't have much of a brand right now. We need that swagger.
I have lived in Scottsburg for most of my 68 years with the exception of 4 years at Hanover College and a couple of years with Uncle Sam. Morgan Foods (for whom my father worked for 44 years) was never in Hazard KY. They started in Austin in 1899 and their headquarters have been there since. Most of the people of Austin migrated from eastern Kentucky during and after the depression to find employment there and farther north to Ohio and Detroit. There is still a natural tie and affinity to UK and I get it. I have always been an IU fan and have agonized during the Crean years. My belief is that Miller will get our fair share of in-state talent. I have seen Romeo play and he is an exceptional talent. My thought is that he will be a one and done, but that's OK if he sets a new precedent for Indiana kids to want to come to IU. I'm delighted with the Miller hire.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
Who recruited Kyle Taber, Tijan Jobe, Bobby Capobianco, Bawa Muniru, Jeremiah Rivers, Hanner Mosquera-Perea, Peter Jurkin, Jeremy Hollowell, Devin Davis, Stanford Robinson, Emmitt Holt, Jeremiah April, Tim Priller, and Freddie McSwain? I'm sure there were more bad recruits during his tenure than what I listed here
That doesn't answer my original question. Care to take a crack at it while we await a response from the OP?

I also grew up in New Albany and
How wrong you are there are an abundance of IU fans in the Louisville area i would venture to say more IU fans than Louisville fans. I to was a kid in the 90's and everyone i new friends ,family ,teachers were all Indiana fans. My wife is from Scottsburg she is an IU fan all of her family and friends are IU fans. I only know a couple friends that are UofL fans and a couple that are Kentucky fans. My place of employment is almost all IU fans
Considering crossing the river would mean paying out-of-state tuition, there should be more IU alums....

IU has a significant presence in Southern Indiana. Most of the IU fans are lifelong generational fans. The kids that get to choose, choose UK or UofL and sometimes Duke or UNC. Austin has a lot of UK fans because when Morgan foods moved from Hazard, KY, they brought many families with them. "Lifelong generational." IU just doesn't have much of a brand right now. We need that swagger.

Morgan Foods was never located in Hazard KY. Their headquarters have been in Austin since 1899. Most of the early employees migrated from eastern KY during and after the depression to find employment and settled there and have always had a tie to UK and I get that. I have lived in Scottsburg for most of my 68 years and my father retired from Morgan after 44 years of service. Scott County has always been a better place because of the Morgan family. There has always been a natural rivalry between Scottsburg and Austin (sort of like NA and Jeff). And you will find for the most part that the IU fans are in Scottsburg and the UK fans in Austin.

Reactions: RBB89
I live in New Albany and there are plenty of IU fans here. His father loves IU, so we still have a good shot. I believe that he will be attending an Adidas school for college. Coach Miller knows about New Albany and he has been here before recruiting Donnie Hale. He will be down here soon :)
Yes I live inNew Albany and there are as many IU fans as there is of any other school in the area. IU hasn't been great in a long time but the influence is still there.

Glad that we settled that you was wrong and there are a lot of IU fans in New Albany.
Calm down your insecurities.
Like I said, from my perspective I see few and far between, and that's now a days, I seen none in the 90s. So saying I'm wrong is as ignorant as saying everyone whom comes thru here is guaranteed to see iu fans... They're not
Calm down

I'm guessing we have little to no shot at Romeo. Not enough time and New Albany is basically Louisville country.

We'll see but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

It will suck for the one year he plays for Duke or Kentucky.
as someone who is a life long New Albany resident this is not anymore Louisville country than IU. If anything you will find UK fans which I can never understand.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
I doubt he goes to Iu unless someone can vouch for his own personal reasonings of favoring Iu/Miller really does have boss swag as the new coach recruiting for Iu.
I have grew up,lived and went to southern Indiana schools, including Scribner middle in New Albany. And unfortunately once your down on the state line,atleast in the counties surrounding new Albany, Iu fans are extremely few and far between. Its either Uk fans, and/or since Louisville's success since hiring pitino ,there's almost if not as many uofl fans there as well.
Even when I was a kid in the 90s I knew no iu fans at any if the surrounding schools/county schools. Not one.
Point being it surely has only gotten worse. There's just no stock put in Iu as a brand/potential for someone tryin to play basketball, comparatively speaking atleast...
Now,even if you go 30 miles north on I65 to places like Scottsburg,you'll run into older* iu fans,(dont know about the kids). But they just don't exist on the state line.

Anyway, I slow to learn about him on here but since I learned hes so close to home and still a junior im gunna go check him out on some of his senior games next year.
you must be sheltered because there is a large IU contingent in

as someone who is a life long New Albany resident this is not anymore Louisville country than IU. If anything you will find UK fans which I can never understand.
Why is it hard to understand? Lexington is like 85 minutes away.

Mike Davis called Kyle Taber late in his senior year and offered him a walk-on slot.

Yes IU has a lot of fans in New Albany. Biggest problem is UK fans. Back in the 60's and 70's they migrated up here. Of course the 3 classes they had were reading, writing, and I-65 North...

Reactions: boiler1987
I also grew up in New Albany and
How wrong you are there are an abundance of IU fans in the Louisville area i would venture to say more IU fans than Louisville fans. I to was a kid in the 90's and everyone i new friends ,family ,teachers were all Indiana fans. My wife is from Scottsburg she is an IU fan all of her family and friends are IU fans. I only know a couple friends that are UofL fans and a couple that are Kentucky fans. My place of employment is almost all IU fans
We must have literally somehow miraculously walked two different lines then BC it wasnt even up for debate. Hands down was a UK DOMINATED fan base. Ive lived/ran the streets of Clark and Floyd county my entire life. Even to this day half the year im in Sou. In. . I think ive known two Iu fans here of all time off the top.my head, one was a classmate in elementary back around 1994-95(?) And the other is a good friends father I known today whose like sixty something.... Anyway stupid argument but sure is mind boggling, atleast to me
Agree there are a lot of U.K. And UofL fans in So. Ind. many Kentuckians have immigrated to Ind. after they bought shoes, they continue to root for the team of their choice. OTH, most fans are IU fans by far. It seems though that while we have been down some the others have been more vocal.

I'm guessing we have little to no shot at Romeo. Not enough time and New Albany is basically Louisville country.

We'll see but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

It will suck for the one year he plays for Duke or Kentucky.
Chuck Franz, Sherron Wilkerson and Steve Green are all from that 15 mile area.

Phinesee and Romeo Would be great players at IU under Coach Archie Miller.

I like them French fried potaters. And I could use me another couple cans'o that potted meat if ya got any extree.

745687542-58aeb2693bbdfe6fbdf30f6e8be8351c.jpg

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
I'm holding out that McSwain going to keep improving with a defensive minded coach. I could be wrong but no way he's down there with Jurkin and Muniru.

And I think Sampson or Davis recruited Capobianco.

I'm holding out that McSwain going to keep improving with a defensive minded coach. I could be wrong but no way he's down there with Jurkin and Muniru.

And I think Sampson or Davis recruited Capobianco.
Capo was Crean's.

He will likely go to a 1&done school UK,KU,or DUKE.

I would be surprised that he does not go to an adidas school. They just created an aau team centered around him for this summer. I hate how big shoe companies influence high school kids, but it might work out in our favor.

I doubt he goes to Iu unless someone can vouch for his own personal reasonings of favoring Iu/Miller really does have boss swag as the new coach recruiting for Iu.
I have grew up,lived and went to southern Indiana schools, including Scribner middle in New Albany. And unfortunately once your down on the state line,atleast in the counties surrounding new Albany, Iu fans are extremely few and far between. Its either Uk fans, and/or since Louisville's success since hiring pitino ,there's almost if not as many uofl fans there as well.
Even when I was a kid in the 90s I knew no iu fans at any if the surrounding schools/county schools. Not one.
Point being it surely has only gotten worse. There's just no stock put in Iu as a brand/potential for someone tryin to play basketball, comparatively speaking atleast...
Now,even if you go 30 miles north on I65 to places like Scottsburg,you'll run into older* iu fans,(dont know about the kids). But they just don't exist on the state line.

Anyway, I slow to learn about him on here but since I learned hes so close to home and still a junior im gunna go check him out on some of his senior games next year.
I hate disagree but you must not get out much. Drive down Valley view road right next to Scribner and you will daily see an IU flag flying on a tall pole. And those folks are far from the only Hoosier fans around. I am a lot older than you but my kids are (assuming the 84 elects your birth age) just older and just younger than you. They and virtually all of their friends at FC are Indiana fans. Yes UL is a close second and a lot of UK folks moved over the river in the middle 70s when busing started, but IU is still the dominant fanbase. Even the next generation (including a great nephew who played with Romeo) are IU fans. Will Romeo go to IU ? No they are too late getting to the table as Crean was not a favorite but don't discount the whole Sunnyside because one guy wasn't interested in playing for Crean.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT