ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sparks discusses portal interest incl IU

Bailey I wish you could read what Bloom posted on the premium board about Sparks!
Yeah me too but I am will too but i am not paying for information I can mostly get for free. I remember paying for premium peegs back in the day. What a waste of money. The question is has he passed on his insight to Woodson to tell him to stay away from Sparks???

Is Payton Sparks better now and in the future than LDuncomb? Anyone knowledgeable on this subject? TIA

Physically he's more ready to go than Duncomb. He's a TJD-lite player but has nowhere near the athleticism, but can bull his way to the basket. Undersized center and plays below the rim. Doesn't have a jumpshot.
Maybe coach Woodson sees something in him you don’t.

Physically he's more ready to go than Duncomb. He's a TJD-lite player but has nowhere near the athleticism, but can bull his way to the basket. Undersized center and plays below the rim. Doesn't have a jumpshot.
He did hit 70% on FTs as a freshman....does that translate into a 10-15 ft shot? Don't know, as I've never seen him play. People who have have said he's slimmed down and gotten stronger since HS.

Reactions: Lucy01
Well if he can get off the bench at IU he is better than Duncomb. Duncomb could not even sniff the floor and given his size that is not good.
Don't think he transfers to sit on the bench, but who knows. Anxious to see who is going and coming for IU.

He's 6'7 235? Feels more like an undersized PF rather than a C. He has some talent and could play into the depth of a team but I have to believe we would need a larger body. Can't fathom he would keep up those numbers in the B1G. Feels more like a player you add for depth.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Well if he can get off the bench at IU he is better than Duncomb. Duncomb could not even sniff the floor and given his size that is not good.

I think the bigger issue with Dunbcomb's lack of playing time was the front court rotation that stayed healthy the entire year and lack of talent elsewhere. TJD/Race/Geronimo were a really good rotation, with Durr mostly coming in situationally against bigger/true centers. And we couldn't sacrifice time from the primary frontcourt rotation because they were holding the team together by a thread due to a lack of production from the guards

He did hit 70% on FTs as a freshman....does that translate into a 10-15 ft shot? Don't know, as I've never seen him play. People who have have said he's slimmed down and gotten stronger since HS.
Definitely a strong kid. From the limited Ball State games I watched this year (2-3 tops) he was a very good player for them. But his skill-set was limited and about 90% of his points come right at the rim. He's listed at 6'9 but also plays like he's 6'9. Doesn't have the vert or lift that a player like TJD does.

He's 6'7 235? Feels more like an undersized PF rather than a C. He has some talent and could play into the depth of a team but I have to believe we would need a larger body. Can't fathom he would keep up those numbers in the B1G. Feels more like a player you add for depth.
I think he's taller than 6'7 but his skill set is that of a traditional center. Doesn't play out on the perimeter and hasn't shown a consistency to hit jump shots.

Getting off the bench next year if there's no RT/TJD and maybe MD, and with a year of practice and strength training is vastly different than getting off the bench this past year. Folks need to relax in LD... he may not pan out, but there's nothing to suggest he's a bust at this point.

I think the bigger issue with Dunbcomb's lack of playing time was the front court rotation that stayed healthy the entire year and lack of talent elsewhere. TJD/Race/Geronimo were a really good rotation, with Durr mostly coming in situationally against bigger/true centers. And we couldn't sacrifice time from the primary frontcourt rotation because they were holding the team together by a thread due to a lack of production from the guards
This is correct. TJD was healthy all year and played 30 minutes at the 5. Durr being an upperclassmen was physically more capable of playing than Duncomb, Duncomb just wasn't there yet. I like Logan's skill-set but needs to add a lot more muscle to be able to play extended minutes in the B10. His time is coming though.

6'9" 260 lbs now, allegedly.

I think he's taller than 6'7 but his skill set is that of a traditional center. Doesn't play out on the perimeter and hasn't shown a consistency to hit jump shots.
I wouldn't especially expect a kid who went from 6'7" to 6'9" and added 30 lbs in a year or two to be a jump shooter coming out of HS. Hell Leal is two years in and still isn't. I think 70% as a freshman shows some potetial for growth is that area.

He looks more like a Traveon Williams than a TJD.
He moves a lot better than Williams, not sure I see the passing ability there though. Here's a small highlight tape I found of him. Strong-bodied kid who shields himself well from defenders, but as you can see doesn't play above the rim. Pretty limited skill-set but again it's only about a minute long.

Reactions: kkott
He moves a lot better than Williams, not sure I see the passing ability there though. Here's a small highlight tape I found of him. Strong-bodied kid who shields himself well from defenders, but as you can see doesn't play above the rim. Pretty limited skill-set but again it's only about a minute long.

I like the skill where he's knocking people out of the way and slamming the ball through the net.

Looking at his highlights, I see a big strong body that is bullying people around as a freshman. Someone mentioned that he plays below the rim. I saw a lot of dunks with ease. How many dunks did Durr have? Zero?
And are we still acting like the Big 10 talent is far and away above mid major conferences? I think the last 2 NCAA tournaments have buried that myth. And no, he isn’t TJD. We aren’t getting another TJD any time soon.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
I like the skill where he's knocking people out of the way and slamming the ball through the net.
Right, but again, how well does that translate to the B10? Not knocking the kid and there obviously has to be some potential if Woodson is reaching out to him, but do we need another undersized center without a jump shot?

Reactions: YOTHN

ha Well yeah, he's listed at 6'7 and Trevion is 6'10. I would hope he moved better. He isn't a starting C in the B1G.

Looking at his highlights, I see a big strong body that is bullying people around as a freshman. Someone mentioned that he plays below the rim. I saw a lot of dunks with ease. How many dunks did Durr have? Zero?
And are we still acting like the Big 10 talent is far and away above mid major conferences? I think the last 2 NCAA tournaments have buried that myth. And no, he isn’t TJD. We aren’t getting another TJD any time soon.
Most 6'9 basketball players should be able to dunk with ease. That's not what playing above the rim means either. Look at his layup attempts. There's no lift and his release is below the rim. That stuff flies in the MAC, not sure it does in the B10.

Most 6'9 basketball players should be able to dunk with ease. That's not what playing above the rim means either. Look at his layup attempts. There's no lift and his release is below the rim. That stuff flies in the MAC, not sure it does in the B10.
Not true that most 6’9” players can easily dunk off of 2 feet with bodies surrounding them. I think you are the one who doesn’t understand what playing below the rim means. He isn’t TJD. But he also isn’t Durr - who does play below the rim.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1

He is a big strong body against MAC players. In the B1G he would not do the same thing. He is the type of a post player a team like VCU would've had back in the day. He fits an undersized system and lord knows we've tried that before. No thanks.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I'm with you. Especially the last sentence.

The main thing this kid doesn't have that TJD did is SB ability. While that is very important, TJD wasn't an especially good defender one on one. Don't know about this kid in that regard. He was also TO prone this year, but the 1.8 assists shows some passing awareness.

This kid's #s per 40 minutes played in conference v. TJD's:

PS: 20.2 pts, 12.8 rebs, 1.8 assists, 3.4 TOs, .8 BS, ,549 FGs, .715 FTs
TJD: 19.8 pts, 9.8 rebs, 2.3 assists, 2.0 TOs, 2.5 BSs, .537, .661

And before people go crazy, I'm not saying he's as good as TJD or the MAC is as good as the BT. But....don't lose the very good holding out for the perfect.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
He is a big strong body against MAC players. In the B1G he would not do the same thing. He is the type of a post player a team like VCU would've had back in the day. He fits an undersized system and lord knows we've tried that before. No thanks.
If he's a Marco Killingsworth with a better attitude, I'd take that and say thank you very much.

Remember that our alternatives are Durr & LD, not Kareem A.J.

I get it but if he could not play in front of Durr that means he has a very long ways to go before he could play legit minutes on a good team. With Geronimo coming back and maybe Race along with likely a grad transfer I wonder if he would even see much time next year. I had forgotten DunComb and Stewart were Archie recruits and Archie did not exactly have the best eye for talent.

Our current alternatives are Durr and Logan so we will need to find someone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT