ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sparks discusses portal interest incl IU

Obviously the key between finishing 11th and finishing in the top 5 if keep ing X and TJD. With the NIL it is possible they stay. But if we have to rely on Durr and Logan we will likely be 11th and anyone who thinks we will be a top half team is delusional with those two as main guys.

I think we’re going to have the same concerns if Sparks is your go to big next year as well. He’s likely an upgrade from Durr or Duncomb, but only incremental.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Looks like a nice player, but this board went nuts many times last year having an undersized center without a modern day skill set. Don’t see much difference in Sparks. As others have pointed out, looks like an ok athlete without much explosiveness. Probably more ready to contribute than Ld or Durr but that’s even a bigger indictment. Not sure Sparks solves the bigger problem.
Others have an interest
Texas Tech, West Virginia, Illinois, Ole Miss, Indiana, Loyola-Chicago, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Wichita State, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Central Michigan, Miami (OH), Liberty, Cornell, Hofstra, College of Charleston. The beginning of a list.

He's got offers and interest from some national powers.
Not sure I'd consider any of these schools national powers. Do think he fits the mold of a traditional Bob Huggins big man.

“So far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.”

Not sure I'd consider any of these schools national powers. Do think he fits the mold of a traditional Bob Huggins big man.

“So far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.”
Troll

I think we’re going to have the same concerns if Sparks is your go to big next year as well. He’s likely an upgrade from Durr or Duncomb, but only incremental.
I am not saying to take sparks the portal just started and there will be dozens of better big coming in probably in the next few weeks we can look at. I think there will be chances for us to get in on some legit bigs from bigger schools. Besides Bloom already put this recruitment to bed it sounds like. Woodson probably got the memo.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
I'm not in the least worried about his accolades prior to this year. Here are my worries:

-6'9 undersized center
-not an explosive let alone even a good athlete in my honest assessment
-doesn't have a modern-day skill set

We had issues 1 and 3 this year with TJD, but TJD is such an explosive and elite athlete he masked those other deficiencies quite well. I think Sparks struggles to score double-digits against bigger and more athletic centers next year and defense takes a massive hit.
Look at the teams left in the tournament. It’s not like they have trees. I’m not sure it’s as big of a deal anymore. What skill set for a 5 do we need? If he can defend the pick n roll then he will be just fine. I’m not sure he’s a starter anyway.

Which of those schools are national powers? Asking for all of us.
The purpose of the post was to shine a light on Bloom's opinion regarding the kid. Bloom wouldn't know serious contribution to good major teams from good canned fruit

All those schools have players from across their region and in many cases across the country. Texas Tech is a national power now, Sweet 16 3 of last 4 years, top defense in the nation year after year. Look at the guys they brought in this year. They know how to use the portal. If the kid can play, TT will offer him, if they need him. The rest of that list has some pretty good programs. Iowa State has the biggest turn around in the country. They were 2-22 last year and now they're in the 16.

Last edited:
Look at the teams left in the tournament. It’s not like they have trees. I’m not sure it’s as big of a deal anymore. What skill set for a 5 do we need? If he can defend the pick n roll then he will be just fine. I’m not sure he’s a starter anyway.
Sparks has a very good work ethic!

-Purdue
-Duke
-Gonzaga
-Arizona
-North Carolina
-UCLA
-Kansas

He's not transferring to IU to sit the bench I can tell you that much. He's a band-aid replacement for TJD/Race if both were to leave assuming you think Durr and Duncomb are nowhere ready.

The purpose of the post was to shine a light on Bloom's opinion regarding the kid. Bloom wouldn't know serious contribution to good major teams from good canned fruit

All those schools have players from across their region and in many cases across the country. Texas Tech is a national power now, Sweet 16 3 of last 4 years, top defense in the nation year after year. Look at the guys they brought in this year. They know how to use the portal. If the kid can play, TT will offer him, if they need him. The rest of that list has some pretty good teams.
Texas Tech has interest in tons of kids in the portal. It's how they operate. Doesn't means he's going there or going to contribute big things. I don't doubt his ability. Not sure he's the answer either. Much more worried about getting consistent perimeter scoring.

I'm with you. Especially the last sentence.

The main thing this kid doesn't have that TJD did is SB ability. While that is very important, TJD wasn't an especially good defender one on one. Don't know about this kid in that regard. He was also TO prone this year, but the 1.8 assists shows some passing awareness.

This kid's #s per 40 minutes played in conference v. TJD's:

PS: 20.2 pts, 12.8 rebs, 1.8 assists, 3.4 TOs, .8 BS, ,549 FGs, .715 FTs
TJD: 19.8 pts, 9.8 rebs, 2.3 assists, 2.0 TOs, 2.5 BSs, .537, .661

And before people go crazy, I'm not saying he's as good as TJD or the MAC is as good as the BT. But....don't lose the very good holding out for the perfect.
Size is one of the things that can’t be coached. I thought our front court rotation was a weakness this past year. Geronimo has the size and quickness to play defensively v. 2s & 3s. (But maybe not the experience). He could be overpowered on the block v. 4s.

Payton sounds like a good pickup to me. IU could have three new front court starters next year. Finding someone with major college experience would be a plus over trying to find an incoming freshman now.

Texas Tech has interest in tons of kids in the portal. It's how they operate. Doesn't means he's going there or going to contribute big things. I don't doubt his ability. Not sure he's the answer either. Much more worried about getting consistent perimeter scoring.
Yohan Traore decommitted from LSU. He was not recruited by IU before and may stay south or TT. If he has the academics Woody should at least get in his ear.

Whether I'm wrong or right about national powers, if Bloom has anything to say about approval/disapproval of potential IU players, this program is busted.

Get out of here with your BS. Don't you have another board to bother?
Come on we discussed this last year under the Lander vs. Ivey thread where you stated Edey would never be very good. No outrage about it just a long memory.

-Purdue
-Duke
-Gonzaga
-Arizona
-North Carolina
-UCLA
-Kansas

He's not transferring to IU to sit the bench I can tell you that much. He's a band-aid replacement for TJD/Race if both were to leave assuming you think Durr and Duncomb are nowhere ready.
I give you PUrdue, Gonzaga, Arizona Duke but the rest are not much bigger. A 6’10” isn’t crazy different. Athleticism is more of a problem. IU was kind of undersized to begin with. I’d take him if you have to. Won’t be much out there. I’m not arguing that we are any of those teams mentioned next year either. Going to be a tough road with any post players we get. That’s assuming TJD leaves. So many unknowns.

Come on we discussed this last year under the Lander vs. Ivey thread where you stated Edey would never be very good. No outrage about it just a long memory.
Where on Earth are you getting that? I was actually pretty complimentary of Edey in the same thread you're talking about. Never once said he wasn't going to be any good. You're totally making shit up and now caught in the act. My post on Edey:

"I don't disagree at all that he's been a pleasant surprise this year but don't agree with the premise that has rapidly progressing. He started out hot as could be but then teams finally had film on him and he's totally regressed to the mean. He's playing fine for a raw big, but he's hit a massive wall playing in the B10 and a good game against an undersized Northwestern team doesn't really change that. He's big and aggressive for a freshman and that is promising but absolutely terrible in defensive rotations and cannot handle quicker, more athletic players.

I think when all said and done he'll be in-between Haas and Haarms. I think he's more agile on his feet than Haas and more explosive towards the rim but doesn't have the lateral quickness of Haarms to get out and really hedge and recover on ball screens"

Where in that post does that equate to Edey "never being good". Run back to the Purdue board.

I am not saying to take sparks the portal just started and there will be dozens of better big coming in probably in the next few weeks we can look at. I think there will be chances for us to get in on some legit bigs from bigger schools. Besides Bloom already put this recruitment to bed it sounds like. Woodson probably got the memo.
Take a look at the top center portal prospects last year....#1 will be very familiar to you. There are far fewer legit big men each year in the TP than any other position.

You haven’t on the free board.

All those schools have players from across their region and in many cases across the country. Texas Tech is a national power now, Sweet 16 3 of last 4 years, top defense in the nation year after year. Look at the guys they brought in this year. They know how to use the portal. If the kid can play, TT will offer him, if they need him. The rest of that list has some pretty good programs. Iowa State has the biggest turn around in the country. They were 2-22 last year and now they're in the 16.
This goes back a long ways but was Bloom the guy who coached Armon Bassett? Also, whatever happened to Bassett he was a pretty decent player.

Is Payton Sparks the only big in the portal?

At 6'10" or over I see Aimaq, who we won't get, and these 3:

Alex Tchikou....Bama...6'11" 200 lbs...avg 0 points and 1.3 rebounds
Gabe Wiznitzer...UofL....6'11" 240 lbs....avg .4 & .8 and
Duran Mahorcic...Utah...6'10" 240 lbs...avg 5.5 & 4.1

Which one you want?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ok, I guess Haarms was '20, but you get the point.

The top 3 from '21 appeared to be Wahab, who went to MD and struggled, for the most part; Robbins, formerly of MN, and Walker Kessler.

Point being......don't look for TJD in the transfer portal!!!

At 6'10" or over I see Aimaq, who we won't get, and these 3:

Alex Tchikou....Bama...6'11" 200 lbs...avg 0 points and 1.3 rebounds
Gabe Wiznitzer...UofL....6'11" 240 lbs....avg .4 & .8 and
Duran Mahorcic...Utah...6'10" 240 lbs...avg 5.5 & 4.1

Which one you want?
So those are going to be the only 4 players in the portal 6'10 or over? There's two weeks left in the season and there will be another 5-10 coaches fired in the coming weeks.

Slow down buddy.

ok, I guess Haarms was '20, but you get the point.

The top 3 from '21 appeared to be Wahab, who went to MD and struggled, for the most part; Robbins, formerly of MN, and Walker Kessler.

Point being......don't look for TJD in the transfer portal!!!
Will we better do all we can to keep Race and or TJD. Get hired and the friends of the programe lined up with the NIL money. Happy can hit the cash machine.

Physically he's more ready to go than Duncomb. He's a TJD-lite player but has nowhere near the athleticism, but can bull his way to the basket. Undersized center and plays below the rim. Doesn't have a jumpshot.
He has fine spin moves around the bucket and is very strong and will get stronger. But, we have time to see what Race and Trayce do and also look around

This is actually a dude worth pursuing. High school teammates with JHS and IU actually recruited him pretty hard.
Rabby is dropping hints and smoke around this already. This is a possibility and one to watch closely. He’s projected as a 4/5. Great fit imho.

Reactions: brianiu
Where on Earth are you getting that? I was actually pretty complimentary of Edey in the same thread you're talking about. Never once said he wasn't going to be any good. You're totally making shit up and now caught in the act. My post on Edey:

"I don't disagree at all that he's been a pleasant surprise this year but don't agree with the premise that has rapidly progressing. He started out hot as could be but then teams finally had film on him and he's totally regressed to the mean. He's playing fine for a raw big, but he's hit a massive wall playing in the B10 and a good game against an undersized Northwestern team doesn't really change that. He's big and aggressive for a freshman and that is promising but absolutely terrible in defensive rotations and cannot handle quicker, more athletic players.

I think when all said and done he'll be in-between Haas and Haarms. I think he's more agile on his feet than Haas and more explosive towards the rim but doesn't have the lateral quickness of Haarms to get out and really hedge and recover on ball screens"

Where in that post does that equate to Edey "never being good". Run back to the Purdue board.
He is as explosive a player as I have seen in a long time. He already has the NBA five stride then flop down so he is ready.

• Wow
Reactions: Simply wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT