ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sparks discusses portal interest incl IU

I'm not sold on Sparks as the answer to some potential front court issues next but it's silly to dismiss a players ability based on their previous stop. Recruiting isn't an exact science and there are kids who get overlooked for whatever reason that can seriously play.

Another poster in a different thread just illustrated the amount of transfers on the rosters of teams still in the tournament and some of these guys went to schools I've never even heard of. Think we as a fan base have to get rid of this mindset that players in the lower conferences can't be of service down the road.
Agreed.

I'm sure Woody is doing this as we speak. So I probably don't need to say this...but ehh, don't care... He needs to firmly establish what he wants IU basketball to be. And go hard after kids that fit what he sees as our culture, playing style, etc...

Maybe he did that with Kopp, Johnson, Bates, and Durr? Maybe he was kind of scrambling to fill holes last year, and didn't care as much if they were fits? But whatever it was, outside of Xavier, it didn't really work out all that well.

There will be a TON of talent in the portal. Texas Tech is a prime example of a team that was essentially completely built via the portal last offseason, and they had a strong year, and are in the sweet 16.

If Peyton Sparks ends up as one of our bigs next year, I'm going to trust that he fits what Woody is looking for. Same goes for any HS seniors we might get in on at this point. AND the same goes for kids that return. I get the sense that Woody isn't going to be of a mind to just allow anyone that wants to come back, to come back. Whether its coaches or players, they're going to need to be whatever Woody sees as "IU basketball material".

I’m a life long diehard IU bball fan. And a BSU grad. If TJD leaves (the more days that pass, the less chance of that I think) - Sparks can’t be our center because he doesn’t provide enough rim protection. I doubt Woody is looking at him as a center. He does have some jump shot range that will continue to develop and shot over 70% FTs. And he is only a freshman. He is a bull now and will only get stronger. He will score and rebound wherever he goes. As JG continues to develop, JG can play more mins at 3. So there would be lots of potential minutes at PF assuming Race leaves. So I doubt he is being looked at as a center. I agree that we need to be selective in the portal and take some time. But Sparks could be a big time PF somewhere.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I’m a life long diehard IU bball fan. And a BSU grad. If TJD leaves (the more days that pass, the less chance of that I think) - Sparks can’t be our center because he doesn’t provide enough rim protection. I doubt Woody is looking at him as a center. He does have some jump shot range that will continue to develop and shot over 70% FTs. And he is only a freshman. He is a bull now and will only get stronger. He will score and rebound wherever he goes. As JG continues to develop, JG can play more mins at 3. So there would be lots of potential minutes at PF assuming Race leaves. So I doubt he is being looked at as a center. I agree that we need to be selective in the portal and take some time. But Sparks could be a big time PF somewhere.
Based on this alone, why wouldn't he replace Race if RT is gone? If you think of it as a swap for Lander, seems pretty reasonable although I know it's early for portal declarations.

I think we're all stuck in the mud, so to speak, with how TJD has been used thus far at IU. Two different coaches, very different in their styles and philosophies, have both used TJD in essentially the exact same way.

Its actually warming me up to TJD even more than I already was. Its completely obvious, has been since after his freshman season, that anchoring him on the block, dumping it down to him, and watching him back people down and make spin moves...that approach allowed TJD to get stats, make a name for himself, and it made us competitive despite not being able to shoot the ball or make plays from the perimeter...but it did not maximize our potential as a team. And it certainly hasn't helped his value to NBA GMs. And I have to assume TJD knows this as much as anyone. Yet he's still here. He's still playing his ass off for IU. And he hasn't complained about it at all.

I don't think TJD coming back is a thing. It doesn't make sense. But IF he does, I really, really, hope his role is changed completely on our team. There's A LOT of gravity pulling him down into the post. I get it. He can be dominant down there.

But for our program to grow, for him to grow, if he's back, he needs to be a high ball screen and dive guy. We saw how effective that can be between he and Xavier. I imagine he and JHS would be effective with that as well. He needs to expand his game and play more of a "point forward" type of roll. He can be a pinch post guy. And obviously every now and then, we run something that ends up with him getting the ball on the block.

And if we end up getting a guy like Sparks...or maybe a Reneau type PF. Then figure out how to utilize their abilities without anchoring THEM in the post either. We don't HAVE to have a traditional back to the basket big man. We can play a "5 out", ball and player movement style offense, with TJD and a Sparks type kid. It won't be any worse than what we played this past year, ESPECIALLY if we replace all of Kopp's and Stewarts minutes with guys that are more capable of making plays and shots.

Crazy to think we’ve reached the point where the prospect of landing a Ball State transfer is exciting. Perhaps there’s a solid shooting guard out there from a Div 2 school??? A point from a JC….
I would have wanted Bonzi Wells from Ball State to transfer to IU! Even back in mid 1990’s. There, there is someone wanted from Ball State.

Anyone know for sure whether Joey left on his own accord, or was gently pushed out?

Crazy thing is he only got 1/3 the minutes at OSU that he did at IU......and that he hit 63% on FGs and 77% on FTs v. 52% and 45% at IU....must be the rims in AH.
Coming back off a back injury was main reason for the 1/3 of minutes at OSU.

Really dumb (and incorrect) statement on Brunk. 7mpg 2ppg at Ohio State.

You might be the one that needs a prescription.
He played fewer minutes clown. For the time he played he was much more efficient. He shot 63% on FGs at OSU, 52% at IU. And 77% on FTs v. 45% at OSU.

He played fewer minutes clown. For the time he played he was much more efficient. He shot 63% on FGs at OSU, 52% at IU. And 77% on FTs v. 45% at OSU.
His 5 minute stretch in Bloomington where he dominated us and flexed and yelled are really skewing those stats. Of course, our bigs didn't take kindly to it, and humiliated him the rest of that game.

He played mop up time, and the occassional breather for Liddell or Key. He took 46 shots all year long...he took 13 free throws all year long... He could hit 3 shots in a row and change his percentages dramatically.

He was best at Butler...because he was healthiest there.

He was solid at IU when healthy.

He wasn't a factor, at all, at an average Ohio State team, that needed better post depth.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
His 5 minute stretch in Bloomington where he dominated us and flexed and yelled are really skewing those stats. Of course, our bigs didn't take kindly to it, and humiliated him the rest of that game.

He played mop up time, and the occassional breather for Liddell or Key. He took 46 shots all year long...he took 13 free throws all year long... He could hit 3 shots in a row and change his percentages dramatically.

He was best at Butler...because he was healthiest there.

He was solid at IU when healthy.

He wasn't a factor, at all, at an average Ohio State team, that needed better post depth.
Dude played double digit minutes 6 times all year and 3 of them came at the end of the year with Kyle Young and Zedd Key out bc of injury.

"He was better at Ohio State than at Indiana"

Lol.

Dude played double digit minutes 6 times all year and 3 of them came at the end of the year with Kyle Young and Zedd Key out bc of injury.

"He was better at Ohio State than at Indiana"

Lol.
He was pretty solid for IU before he got hurt.

An argument, or question maybe, could be had on why he was seemingly healthy at Butler and OSU, and not IU? Obviously many of us have questioned our program in that regard with many other players.

But how effective he was on the court?...He wasn't on the court enough at OSU for the Buckeye Brunk to even be considered.

In a Crimson Cast episode, Zach Osterman spoke a little bit about Sparks. In a recent interview with Sparks, Osterman got the feeling that Payton grew up an IU fan and that the IU staff has told Payton to "keep us in your plans" as they wait to hear who is staying/going from our roster.

Ep 840 - Bad Luck Streak in Fleld Goal School

Reactions: bkiefer7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT