ADVERTISEMENT

Painter got out-coached by Hurley

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Hurley with the Master Class in how to beat the pu 7 footer planted in the paint game.

PU couldn't match up out front. Same problem we had last year. We swept them two years ago when we had Jalen i.e., a big 5-star point.
PU never had the elite supporting staff for Edy.
They were good so I tip my hat, but they were not great.
Go Hoosiers!

UConn & Hurley had 1 week to prepare for the FF weekend.
I wonder how much time he spent prepping his team for the likely PU matchup?
They executed very well vs PU.

Hurley with the Master Class in how to beat the pu 7 footer planted in the paint game.
Yes, but like IU last year he had the personnel to do it. Keep Edey occupied while surrendering 25 meaningful points (while the outcome was still in question) and just shut down their back court.

Not rocket science if you have the right matchups.

Reactions: h20pls
UConn & Hurley had 1 week to prepare for the FF weekend.
I wonder how much time he spent prepping his team for the likely PU matchup?
They executed very well vs PU.
Most coaches say they only focus on the next game. He may have had assistants tasked with scouting both possible matchups?

To be fair, I have said for 2 years the best way to play PU would be to just let Edey get his and stay connected to everyone else, which is exactly what UCONN did, let Edey have his and take away everything else and you have a shot. Running a double at him and giving the guards wide open looks or letting them move the ball freely and getting you into rotation will not work. Give Edey 40 and slow the rest and you have a shot. Try to keep him at 25 at the expense of others getting theirs and you lose.

UConn just a much better team
My wife and I always do brackets...and early in the year, November...I caught 20 minutes or so of UConn and some Big East team (whose name I cannot recall but they, UConn, were missing someone from the ,lineup due to injury)...and I turned to my wife and said "UConn will win the championship this year."

They were just so good on the defensive end and offensively they were a hornet's nest of movement, team play, excellent shooting...just an exceptional team. I really enjoyed watching them and tuned in to all their games during the tournament.

To be fair, I have said for 2 years the best way to play PU would be to just let Edey get his and stay connected to everyone else, which is exactly what UCONN did, let Edey have his and take away everything else and you have a shot. Running a double at him and giving the guards wide open looks or letting them move the ball freely and getting you into rotation will not work. Give Edey 40 and slow the rest and you have a shot. Try to keep him at 25 at the expense of others getting theirs and you lose.

Doesn't work without a really good defensive center. Look at the TENN game.....

UCONN guarded the 3 line with more athletic guards and didn’t foul Edey to keep their best bigs in the game.

Hurley had recruited better guards than Painter.

Painter was out recruited more than he was out coached, I’d say.

UCONN’s excellent ball movement broke down the Purdue defense late in the shot clock … they just kept playing until they got a shot … that was a fine example of coaching excellence.

Also, you can’t judge Clingan on this game. The plan was always to just bother Edey and make him work. He did exactly what was asked.

Hurley was playing chess and Painter checkers. Painter is a good coach, but made no adjustments in the 2nd half to get 3pt shots. Talent discrepancy, but a great coach would find a way to work with what you have. Purdue had good enough players to hang close and try to make a game out it.

In 1987, Knight was able to out coach Tark and beat a more talented UNLV team (at their own game, nonetheless) in the FF.

Hurley was playing chess and Painter checkers. Painter is a good coach, but made no adjustments in the 2nd half to get 3pt shots. Talent discrepancy, but a great coach would find a way to work with what you have. Purdue had good enough players to hang close and try to make a game out it.

In 1987, Knight was able to out coach Tark and beat a more talented UNLV team (at their own game, nonetheless) in the FF.
He did run stuff but you have 6’0” going against 3-4 inch taller guys who switch with the best of them. He put Gillis and Colvin out there but they couldn’t hit either. Big talent and experience gap when he was forced to put heide and Colvin in.

He did run stuff but you have 6’0” going against 3-4 inch taller guys who switch with the best of them. He put Gillis and Colvin out there but they couldn’t hit either. Big talent and experience gap when he was forced to put heide and Colvin in.
Shows how good UConn was/is.
Purdue is by far the next best team in the country and UConn ability to run PU off the three pt line and guard Edey one on one while staying out of foul trouble won them the game easily

Shows how good UConn was/is.
Purdue is by far the next best team in the country and UConn ability to run PU off the three pt line and guard Edey one on one while staying out of foul trouble won them the game easily
UConn didn’t even shoot it well. This game wasn’t ever close imho.

Not really he just ran into a far better team just like everyone else who played uconn. Nobody was going to beat uconn. I bet if woodson played uconn right now he would lose by 30.
Painter made no adjustments to try to free up 3 point shooters. He stuck with a game plan that wasn’t working and he played Edey too much, who was gassed down the stretch. Poor player time management. Hurley had better pieces, but by sticking with his game plan, it showed that Painter didn’t foresee the problems UConn would present or he didn’t even try to counter if he did see them. You got the 2 time POY and the best 3pt shooting team in college basketball and you can’t keep it close, at least?

Doesn't work without a really good defensive center. Look at the TENN game.....
Just need a defensive center that will not foul. UT cut down on what they rest of the team was able to do (32 points from non Edey guys), but they bailed them out sending them to the line 3 times more than they got there.

The UT game and the UCONN games proved the same thing, if UT does nto give them 33 FTs, they win the game

Painter made no adjustments to try to free up 3 point shooters. He stuck with a game plan that wasn’t working and he played Edey too much, who was gassed down the stretch. Poor player time management. Hurley had better pieces, but by sticking with his game plan, it showed that Painter didn’t foresee the problems UConn would present or he didn’t even try to counter if he did see them. You got the 2 time POY and the best 3pt shooting team in college basketball and you can’t keep it close, at least?
I think the bigger issue was no changes to the defense (or if there were, they were ineffective). You can say that they didn't make changes to get their 3-pt shooters open, but the bigger problem was that they couldn't prevent the UConn guards from driving into the lane.
The first half was pretty competitve with both teams just punching and counter-punching.

PU also gets a ton of pts from the FT line. UConn was able to stay out of foul trouble unlike everyone else in the country against PU

Idk about out coached. UConn had the personnel to guard Edey one on one and run PU off the 3 pt line. UConn’s length on the perimeter took the 3 pt line away from PU and made them one dimensional
Purdue has had a great run with Edey but UConn beat Purdue in about every facet of the game.

Reactions: indiana ed
I seem to remember IU getting smashed by 20 earlier this season. When a team commits to being a great defensive team, great things happen. Woodson should be taking notes... but likely isn't.

Smith and Loyer were 4-17. Hurley certainly didn't stop Edey.

Uconn has way more talent than Purdue and talented guys tend to be motivated in the NCAA tourney.

I thought there were several teams that could have beaten Purdue. Bama and Houston possibly, for example. Duke or UNC perhaps.
It's all match ups in the tourney and having the pieces to beat different types of teams. Purdue has Edey, who was unstoppable all year, and a PG who plays to the best of his ability. Plus a large cast of believers who play their role.

As an IU fan, I have no problem at all with Painter's style of play or basketball philosophy. He builds teams and they compete at a high level.

Idk about out coached. UConn had the personnel to guard Edey one on one and run PU off the 3 pt line. UConn’s length on the perimeter took the 3 pt line away from PU and made them one dimensional
And at the other end of the court, when UConn would set up its offense, most of the time there was nobody in the paint. And that would lead to a lot of layups and assists..

How did Underwood handle UCONN, did not ILLINOIS get run off the floor before halftime with BIG guards Damask and Shannon(PRO)! Did anybody from IU actually watch the games? Painter knew what he was facing, knew he was facing a machine! Do you understand why most media is predicting Purdue to be good again next year, not for having 5*, but because of the guy on the bench! IU needs 5*, because the guy on their bench, is a 3 star at best!

How did Underwood handle UCONN, did not ILLINOIS get run off the floor before halftime with BIG guards Damask and Shannon(PRO)! Did anybody from IU actually watch the games? Painter knew what he was facing, knew he was facing a machine! Do you understand why most media is predicting Purdue to be good again next year, not for having 5*, but because of the guy on the bench! IU needs 5*, because the guy on their bench, is a 3 star at best!
Triggered or what?

Just funny how IU fans talk about Purdue and Painter being out coached, yet not a peep about Illinois and Underwood being blitzed bye UConn even with their tall guards!
That’s because Illinois isn’t our rival. For one, only one or two posters said he was out coached. You need to chill out.

And yet it's 3 and 3 with Woody on the bench and you had 2 time player of the year .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT