ADVERTISEMENT

Over it. On to Purdue… biggest game for us since when!?!

This statement of who has been more consistent is wrong. lol

Here is the data:

PPG Smith Average 9.5 Std Dev 5.0 JHS Average 12.3 Std Dev 8.3
Reb Smith Average 4.6 Std Dev 2.7 JHS Average 4.2 Std Dev 1.8
Assists Smith Average 4.3 Std Dev 2.1 JHS Average 4.3 Std Dev 1.8
Steals Smith Average 1.1 Std Dev 1.5 JHS Average 1.0 Std Dev 1.0
Turnovers Smith Average 1.8 Std Dev 1.2 JHS Average 2.9 Std Dev 1.7

In Points per game, JHS scores more, but a larger standard deviation means that there is more inconsistency in his scoring versus Smith.

In Rebounds, Smith rebounds more, but has more variability. Of course, one does not usually rely upon a PG for rebounds, so this is likely a less critical metric for the position.

In Assists, they average the same. JHS has an advantage in consistency, but it is not large.

In Steals, Smith has a slight edge. In this case, the greater Standard Deviation is an advantage, as you cannot have a negative number in a game for this variable.

In Turnovers, Smith has a large advantage in both average and consistency.

The point is that in viewing who is more consistent over the season so far claiming, the claim that Smith has not been more consistent is not correct.
Go back to learning Portuguese, nerd

Go back to learning Portuguese, nerd
You make a statement that is proven to be wrong via simple mathematics. A normal person would acknowledge that they were incorrect. I note that you did not challenge the math calculations. Don't try, they are correct.

Instead, you just insult people. That is the mark of a small child who is losing a board game and just upends the game board because he can't handle losing. You can't handle being proven wrong when you mouth off.

You make a statement that is proven to be wrong via simple mathematics. A normal person would acknowledge that they were incorrect. I note that you did not challenge the math calculations. Don't try, they are correct.

Instead, you just insult people. That is the mark of a small child who is losing a board game and just upends the game board because he can't handle losing. You can't handle being proven wrong when you mouth off.
Go back to learning Portuguese, nerd.

Ugly game tonight and we got our stinker out of the way. JHS will get it going on Saturday and we blow the doors off the place. Purdue’s freshmen crumble under the pressure of playing at AH. IU by 12.
We need to win I'm tired of seeing purdue jerseys everywhere

This statement of who has been more consistent is wrong. lol

Here is the data:

PPG Smith Average 9.5 Std Dev 5.0 JHS Average 12.3 Std Dev 8.3
Reb Smith Average 4.6 Std Dev 2.7 JHS Average 4.2 Std Dev 1.8
Assists Smith Average 4.3 Std Dev 2.1 JHS Average 4.3 Std Dev 1.8
Steals Smith Average 1.1 Std Dev 1.5 JHS Average 1.0 Std Dev 1.0
Turnovers Smith Average 1.8 Std Dev 1.2 JHS Average 2.9 Std Dev 1.7

In Points per game, JHS scores more, but a larger standard deviation means that there is more inconsistency in his scoring versus Smith.

In Rebounds, Smith rebounds more, but has more variability. Of course, one does not usually rely upon a PG for rebounds, so this is likely a less critical metric for the position.

In Assists, they average the same. JHS has an advantage in consistency, but it is not large.

In Steals, Smith has a slight edge. In this case, the greater Standard Deviation is an advantage, as you cannot have a negative number in a game for this variable.

In Turnovers, Smith has a large advantage in both average and consistency.

The point is that in viewing who is more consistent over the season so, the claim that Smith has not been more consistent is not correct.
Seems the higher SD for PPG of JHS could be an advantage just like you point out for Smith's steals. Would be interesting to see distribution graphs. 😉

Seems the higher SD for PPG of JHS could be an advantage just like you point out for Smith's steals. Would be interesting to see distribution graphs. 😉
It is less clear in the case of Standard Deviation for PPG vs Steals. Remember, the bulk of the data points lies within +/- 1 Std Dev. So JHS has a much wider range of expectations in scoring. He could easily go off and score a bunch over average but also easily score a bunch below. Quite frankly, in this game I believe that his scoring will be one of the most important variables influencing the final outcome.

In the case of Smith's steals, since -1 Std Dev would result in a negative number. You can't have a number less than zero in a game, so that means his data points skew higher above the average in order to generate that number. But again, I do not expect his steals to be a significant influence on the game as the numbers are not large in any case.

My point in posting the data was that I did not believe B1G_FAN's declaration that JHS was more consistent. I looked up the data and it proves that is not the case as anyone can see. I chose the variables that I considered the most important for their respective positions.

I went to ESPN.com. If you look at conference standings, then click on the team you are interested in on the left you will see the schedule. Click on the game and you can get the box score. I put the info into a spreadsheet. If you do that you should also be able to graph and see the distribution of the data points. I hope that helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT