ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hoosiers the movie

The real Ollie (Oliver Jones) was the team manager & never got to play & shoot the underhand free throws.
For anyone who hasn’t been to Hoosier Gym in Knightstown and loved the movie, it’s a chilling experience. I talked to the proprietor & he had some great stories about the movie and cast. He really liked Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper; I won’t tell you who he didn’t like!
Btw, my lifetime shooting record there is 1 for 1.

Did Gallo make a ‘Hoosiers’ reference at his speech yesterday? ‘I don’t think I want to be done yet. One thing, coach goes I go, coach stays I play’. Haha, embellished a bit but I could help but think of this reference.

The real Ollie (Oliver Jones) was the team manager & never got to play & shoot the underhand free throws.
For anyone who hasn’t been to Hoosier Gym in Knightstown and loved the movie, it’s a chilling experience. I talked to the proprietor & he had some great stories about the movie and cast. He really liked Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper; I won’t tell you who he didn’t like!
Let me guess, Jimmy Chitwood.

When I was coaching , our head coach would always do something special for team building after the 1st week of practice . I heard that you could rent the Hoosier gym , and practice there with your team . When I mentioned it , his reply was” go for it “.So I set it up for a Saturday afternoon . The nite before the team met at coaches house for a team meal , and we watched the movie . The next day we journeyed to Knightstown for our practice . The kids were in awe as they looked around the gym , and talked about things there ,that were from the movie . On senior nite several of the kids talked about what a great experience that was . I still get emotional when I watch the movie , and I also think about our team getting to practice there . Finally when I was there they had framed pictures of the team with a piece of the old floor mounted on it . Needless to say I had to buy one , and it hangs on the wall of my IU room next to my one from Assembly Hall .

My aunt is the lady raking leaves in the beginning. Lots of teams inspired the movie. Milan and Unionville were 2. Angelo said the Milan team was too boring so he had to re-write the script. Angelo best buddy was Bobby Kent. Read this.
Pizzo confirmed, that “Unionville influenced his “Hoosiers” script more than Milan.”

Last edited:
Please don't say it was Barbara Hershey !?!

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Please don't say it was Barbara Hershey !?!
I knew a couple of the local guys who actually worked as part of the film crew and have their names credited at the end of the movie. I'm pretty sure he was speaking of Barbara Hershey. She basically just didn't want to be there and made it known. Another side note is that Gene Hackman feared that "Hoosiers" might end his career.

I knew a couple of the local guys who actually worked as part of the film crew and have their names credited at the end of the movie. I'm pretty sure he was speaking of Barbara Hershey. She basically just didn't want to be there and made it known. Another side note is that Gene Hackman feared that "Hoosiers" might end his career.
Yea. Gene was wrong on that — pretty funny.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Does anyone know if the extra film that was cut out of the movie and added a year or 2 ago at a local theatre is available to the public? I cant seem to find it anywhere online or anything!?

A friend of my family owns the property where they filmed Shooters home in the woods and where the found him passed out drunk with a gun. Kinda funny how some of us have some local sort of ties to the real team and movie.

Does anyone know if the extra film that was cut out of the movie and added a year or 2 ago at a local theatre is available to the public? I cant seem to find it anywhere online or anything!?
I don’t know what was shown at the local theater, but the 2-disc collector’s edition (under $15 online) includes 13 deleted scenes.
Edit: you can search for Hoosiers delete scenes to see clips.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Interesting! Angelo and Anspaugh were at a Heartland film festival years ago and had a lot of interesting tidbits. Jack Nicholson liked the script and read for the part of coach but they couldn't afford him. Brian Dennehy was their first "affordable" choice, but when they learned they could get Hackman for the same $$, he got it. Burt Reynolds asked to read for the part, they went to his house and when he did it he was really good, but when they told him he'd have to do it without winking at the camera and without the toupe he threw them out. And lastly, I can't remember if it was Anspaugh or Angelo that said it, he wrote the part of "Shooter" specifically for Harry Dean Stanton in mind, but they never heard back from his agent. Years later he was out for dinner with both Stanton and Dennis Hopper (who were friends) and when Dennis left them alone for a moment, he asked Stanton why he turned down the part. He said Harry blanched, and said he never saw the script, his agent never showed it to him. Hopper credited "Hoosiers" (which won him a best supporting actor Oscar) and "Blue Velvet" for restarting his career.

Last edited:
I bought the 25th anniversary of the film when it came out . It had many of the deleted scenes that they had to cut so the movie would be under 2 hrs . I’m sure it is out there somewhere .

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
I’m not saying it wasn’t! “Someone never left his/her trailer the whole time & never socialized like Hackman & Hopper. Maybe all the fans hanging around were toxic. Yeah, that’s the ticket.
well, I could see avoiding Hopper...he was nuts since the late 60s. But Hackman seems as down to earth as you can get. Maybe she just didn't like corn fields and the smell of manure.

A friend of my family owns the property where they filmed Shooters home in the woods and where the found him passed out drunk with a gun. Kinda funny how some of us have some local sort of ties to the real team and movie.
I'm another one. Barbara Hershey's character's home was directly across the street from my house when I was in high school, out in the country. Trucks and trailers parked all along the ditch for a week or two. It was pretty cool. Most of the kids in my high school were extras in one scene or another. Great time to be in high school in Indiana. Plus, there was still single-class basketball, with some of the more epic Final Fours (the Plymouth/Gary Roosevelt game was an all-time classic, Stacy Toran's 3/4 court heave for Ripple another). Excuse me, I've got to now go and yell at some kids to get off my lawn...

New Richmond, Indiana (near Crawfordsville) was where the town scenes were filmed. Some of the buildings still have the set decorations painted on the side. A few still have the vacant store fronts with the set pieces. The barber shop where Hackman met the town was a restaurant until a few years ago.

I know a guy whose job was to document the filming of the movie for the Montgomery County Historical Society. He videotaped a lot of the filming and I have the footage on a DVD. He said Hackman was a good guy, very approachable and liked to explain why the crew was doing things. He said Hopper was very conservative in his interactions. He was nice but was mindful of his image. He was struggling with addiction and in recovery. Barbara Hershey never spoke to anyone other than the actors she had scenes with or crew that was directly involved with her shot. She was always in her trailer.

I met Maris Vallanis at a wedding. He said Hackman was great but unless you had a scene with him, he really didn't offer much advice to any of the players. They were only on set for roughly 2 weeks and most only had a few lines. If you notice, all the players have really short lines. They were told to speak as if they were talking to their family... just be normal since they weren't actors. The one player (Dave Neidiorf), who played Shooter's son had long lines because he was an actor.

Just a great flick. But I am sure if you’re not of a certain age and from around here it would be hard to relate to…

Interesting! Angelo and Anspaugh were at a Heartland film festival years ago and had a lot of interesting tidbits. Jack Nicholson liked the script and read for the part of coach but they couldn't afford him. Brian Dennehy was their first "affordable" choice, but when they learned they could get Hackman for the same $$, he got it. Burt Reynolds asked to read for the part, they went to his house and when he did it he was really good, but when they told him he'd have to do it without winking at the camera and without the toupe he threw them out. And lastly, I can't remember if it was Anspaugh or Angelo that said it, he wrote the part of "Shooter" specifically for Harry Dean Stanton in mind, but they never heard back from his agent. Years later he was out for dinner with both Stanton and Dennis Hopper (who were friends) and when Dennis left them alone for a moment, he asked Stanton why he turned down the part. He said Harry blanched, and said he never saw the script, his agent never showed it to him. Hopper credited "Hoosiers" (which won him a best supporting actor Oscar) and "Blue Velvet" for restarting his career.
Hopper also had a good performance as a weirdo in The River's Edge in 1986: good year for Hopper.

Reactions: Tommaker
Now we don't know if it is true, why she didn't want to be there. Hopefully she isn't one of those snooty people who just think they can't be bothered to visit flyover country.

New Richmond, Indiana (near Crawfordsville) was where the town scenes were filmed. Some of the buildings still have the set decorations painted on the side. A few still have the vacant store fronts with the set pieces. The barber shop where Hackman met the town was a restaurant until a few years ago.

I know a guy whose job was to document the filming of the movie for the Montgomery County Historical Society. He videotaped a lot of the filming and I have the footage on a DVD. He said Hackman was a good guy, very approachable and liked to explain why the crew was doing things. He said Hopper was very conservative in his interactions. He was nice but was mindful of his image. He was struggling with addiction and in recovery. Barbara Hershey never spoke to anyone other than the actors she had scenes with or crew that was directly involved with her shot. She was always in her trailer.

I met Maris Vallanis at a wedding. He said Hackman was great but unless you had a scene with him, he really didn't offer much advice to any of the players. They were only on set for roughly 2 weeks and most only had a few lines. If you notice, all the players have really short lines. They were told to speak as if they were talking to their family... just be normal since they weren't actors. The one player (Dave Neidiorf), who played Shooter's son had long lines because he was an actor.
I live 10 miles from there. 40 years later, everything is still Hickory this and Hickory that.
One of my best friends was a really good player in HS and played NAIA ball. He wanted to try out as one of the player extras but the guy he worked for wouldn't give him time off. That's still a sore subject with him.

The man who played Rade Dr. Steve Hollar was or is a dentist in Warsaw. I pastored around the Fort and actually thought, "I could just drive over to Warsaw and get my dental work done there". But it wasn't really worth it.
no, going to a dentist when you don't have teeth is never worth it.

I'm another one. Barbara Hershey's character's home was directly across the street from my house when I was in high school, out in the country. Trucks and trailers parked all along the ditch for a week or two. It was pretty cool. Most of the kids in my high school were extras in one scene or another. Great time to be in high school in Indiana. Plus, there was still single-class basketball, with some of the more epic Final Fours (the Plymouth/Gary Roosevelt game was an all-time classic, Stacy Toran's 3/4 court heave for Ripple another). Excuse me, I've got to now go and yell at some kids to get off my lawn...
ahh...the old Lafayette semi-state in Mackey. When the Gary regional champs would face off in the morning against the local farm boy team. Always was a clash of two different worlds. Saw some great games there back in the early 80s. In the first (morning) game in 1984, Lake Central won the opening tip with 6 foot 9 Bo Cucuz (future NW Wildcat) winning the tip, curling around the perimeter in full stride and then going in for a booming alley oop slam, 5 seconds into the game. The lid almost popped off the arena.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ahh...the old Lafayette semi-state in Mackey. When the Gary regional champs would face off in the morning against the local farm boy team. Always was a clash of two different worlds. Saw some great games there back in the early 80s. In the first (morning) game in 1984, Lake Central won the opening tip with 6 foot 9 Bo Cucuz (future NW Wildcat) winning the tip, curling around the perimeter in full stride and then going in for a booming alley oop slam, 5 seconds into the game. The lid almost popped off the arena.
That Lake Central team was something else. Where did their shooting guard end up going to college? NW also?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT