ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Basketball Press Conference 2PM

I doubt it this late in the game. If they do they got lucky. Ohio State basketball players know they are forever in the shadow of the football team at Ohio State.

They can always appoint an interim for this next season, or for as long they need to find their coach of the future.

No rule that says they need to find that guy now.

IU is a much better Basketball job than OSU.
I doubt Miller would've seen it that way had they both been open at the same time. Some who know nothing about Miller will claim otherwise, but that's their ignorance on display.

I doubt Miller would've seen it that way had they both been open at the same time. Some who know nothing about Miller will claim otherwise, but that's their ignorance on display.

Sure he would. OSU is a dumpster fire. And he said that when he was at OSU he loved to play at Indiana because the atmosphere reminded him of home.

He was TOSU's to lose. Good thing they weren't hiring a couple months ago.

And lose him, they did.

You have to wonder about their timing here. Maybe it really does have a lot to do with Thad's health. I knew it was bad -- but it sounds awful.

Anyway, I'm glad we got Archie sewn up when we did.

Reactions: ufo33
They can always appoint an interim for this next season, or for as long they need to find their coach of the future.

No rule that says they need to find that guy now.
The new coach will take some lumps next year, but the right coach will get recruiting fired back up for 2018. It would be a huge mistake to lose another year of recruiting. Th timing is rough, but there is a good coach out there that will want to coach at tOSU.

Just be glad IU didn't have to compete with TOSU for Miller.
Just be glad Calipari is allowed to coach NCAA basketball and UK never got the death penalty like it should have.

OSU was never an issue with Archie, lolz. Try harder.

Lol...Archie isn't stupid, he's not picking OSU over IU if both jobs were open. That's like Calipari picking Tennessee over the Kentucky job.

Besides the fact the Archie is a Matta guy...and if there's any whiff that Matta was pressured to step down then every Matta guy would avoid OSU like the plague. Hell Archie said the one thing about the IU job he didn't like was because he liked Tom Crean as a person from when he recruited him.

Try again.

Lol...Archie isn't stupid, he's not picking OSU over IU if both jobs were open. That's like Calipari picking Tennessee over the Kentucky job.

Besides the fact the Archie is a Matta guy...and if there's any whiff that Matta was pressured to step down then every Matta guy would avoid OSU like the plague. Hell Archie said the one thing about the IU job he didn't like was because he liked Tom Crean as a person from when he recruited him.

Try again.

The only fact here is that no one here knows what Archie would have done if he had his choice of jobs.

While logic dictates that IU is the better job for a variety of reasons, perhaps some draw or tie to the place would make him choose Ohio.

Anything else is empty conjecture.

The only fact here is that no one here knows what Archie would have done if he had his choice of jobs.

While logic dictates that IU is the better job for a variety of reasons, perhaps some draw or tie to the place would make him choose Ohio.

Anything else is empty conjecture.
I did not hear what Jake Queery on 1430am had to say yesterday but I guess he said the OSU job is better than the IU job. I can't believe anyone who is in the sports profession would say something so stupid as this. OSU basketball job is not in the same category as the IU basketball job.

I did not hear what Jake Queery on 1430am had to say yesterday but I guess he said the OSU job is better than the IU job. I can't believe anyone who is in the sports profession would say something so stupid as this. OSU basketball job is not in the same category as the IU basketball job.

If you are a radio host on a second tier station in Indy, that is what you say to get listeners to come call in.

The Ohio Football job is better than the IU FB job, but that is about as far as it goes.

If you are a radio host on a second tier station in Indy, that is what you say to get listeners to come call in.

The Ohio Football job is better than the IU FB job, but that is about as far as it goes.
I'm not a fan of his but since Matta's has been at OSU hadn't their program been better? I heard on one of the espn shows that he had the highest winning percentage in the BIG during his tenure in the conference. Not flaming here but he was a much better coach than Crean or Painter.

And lose him, they did.

You have to wonder about their timing here. Maybe it really does have a lot to do with Thad's health. I knew it was bad -- but it sounds awful.

Anyway, I'm glad we got Archie sewn up when we did.
Exactly correct. He was their's had they acted in March. Their loss is IU's gain. I think his health was a huge contributor to this, and that the decision to go was based on his inability to no longer fully do the job. Smith wasn't willing to limp akin with something that was never going to get better, so they agreed to part.

Try again.
He'd have picked them in a heart beat. I know that hurts people's feelings here, but it's true.

I'm not a fan of his but since Matta's has been at OSU hadn't their program been better? I heard on one of the espn shows that he had the highest winning percentage in the BIG during his tenure in the conference. Not flaming here but he was a much better coach than Crean or Painter.

Thad leads Bo, Bobby and Izo for all time BIG winning Percentage. Make no mistake, ask any coach in the BIG and they will say IU is where you want to be. Don't forget Thad said IU was his dream job. The resources IU devotes to Hoops programs is only matched by UK, UL, KU and UNC. Just look at Basketball budgets, recruiting resources and facilities, throw in a crazed fan base and recruiting hot bed, it's a gold mine. The only advantage OSU has, is its ability to dip into their FB budget to pay big dollars for a coach. For all those asking about Archie, in 2 different interviews this summer, reporters asked if he was waiting on the OSU job. He said no and had no idea where that rumor started other than being an assistant for a couple years and then coaching at Dayton. Said he prob would not had picked up the phone for OSU. As bad as IU has been under Crean, Sampson and Davis, coaches would kill to have IU's resources and why lots of people said IU can't fire the prior BIG COY and Champion this year... well, they did.

Easily as good facility wise and able to pay more money. Archie would've jumped on that job, and I'm sure he and his wife are doing a "what if" over it. Their loss is IU's gain.

That does not mean it is a better overall job

Thad leads Bo, Bobby and Izo for all time BIG winning Percentage. Make no mistake, ask any coach in the BIG and they will say IU is where you want to be. Don't forget Thad said IU was his dream job. The resources IU devotes to Hoops programs is only matched by UK, UL, KU and UNC. Just look at Basketball budgets, recruiting resources and facilities, throw in a crazed fan base and recruiting hot bed, it's a gold mine. The only advantage OSU has, is its ability to dip into their FB budget to pay big dollars for a coach. For all those asking about Archie, in 2 different interviews this summer, reporters asked if he was waiting on the OSU job. He said no and had no idea where that rumor started other than being an assistant for a couple years and then coaching at Dayton. Said he prob would not had picked up the phone for OSU. As bad as IU has been under Crean, Sampson and Davis, coaches would kill to have IU's resources and why lots of people said IU can't fire the prior BIG COY and Champion this year... well, they did.
Of course he said that. Do you honestly think he would've expressed interest in a job held by Thad? Coaches don't do that. Ask Steve Alford what happens when they do.

That does not mean it is a better overall job

These people are funny, that's why In 008, it is well known that Izzo called IU and IU did not return his call. Once Izzo learned Crean was involved, he said he was no longer interested and we should pursue Crean. Bob Kravitz has been very open about it on local Indy radio.

Last edited:
Of course he said that. Do you honestly think he would've expressed interest in a job held by Thad? Coaches don't do that. Ask Steve Alford what happens when they do.
No kidding and not denying that, but where did he say he desperately wanted the OSU job. His only ties to OSU is him and his brother serving a few years as Assistants. Sure, if you are looking only for a paycheck, then you pick OSU. If you do not want an empty arena vs a rival in early march, you don't go to OSU. Thad was hell of a coach and he made the place look attractive back in early 2000s. Ask Gary Williams, O,Brian, Aires and the countless coaches they've shuffled through.

No kidding and not denying that, but where did he say he desperately wanted the OSU job. His only ties to OSU is him and his brother serving a few years as Assistants. Sure, if you are looking only for a paycheck, then you pick OSU. If you do not want an empty arena vs a rival in early march, you don't go to OSU. Thad was hell of a coach and he made the place look attractive back in early 2000s. Ask Gary Williams, O,Brian, Aires and the countless coaches they've shuffled through.
I didn't claim he "desperately" wanted the OSU job, only that he'd have gone there instead of IU had they both been open. And crowds are dictated by performance. There plenty of empty seats in AH last year, too.

I didn't claim he "desperately" wanted the OSU job, only that he'd have gone there instead of IU had they both been open. And crowds are dictated by performance. There plenty of empty seats in AH last year, too.
You must not watch much BIG hoops. OSU arena is ONLY filled when ranked in top 10. If you don't know this, I can't go any further in this discussion. IU's empty seats were a message to our AD to fire Crean and if you don't understand that, you have no clue about IU hoops. Comparing IU hoop fans with OSU hoop fans is laughable.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
You must not watch much BIG hoops. OSU arena is ONLY filled when ranked in top 10. If you don't know this, I can't go any further in this discussion. IU's empty seats were a message to our AD to fire Crean and if you don't understand that, you have no clue about IU hoops. Comparing IU hoop fans with OSU hoop fans is laughable.
You must not watch much Big Ten hoops either if that's your view of OSU attendance. Sorry your feelings are hurt but Miller goes to OSU if that job is open. Their loss, even if you don't understand.

You must not watch much Big Ten hoops either if that's your view of OSU attendance. Sorry your feelings are hurt but Miller goes to OSU if that job is open. Their loss, even if you don't understand.
On que, just like others have posted about you. You are challenged and you have to revert by saying I'm upset. Reality, I'm sitting here in my office laughing at you with a PU and OSU grad reading your responses. My OSU coworker would like to know where were these fans this year. Typically they are ranked 7th or 8th in the big for attendance each year.

On que, just like others have posted about you. You are challenged and you have to revert by saying I'm upset. Reality, I'm sitting here in my downtown office laughing at you with a PU and OSU grad reading your responses. My OSU coworker would like to know where were these fans this year. Typically they are ranked 7th or 8th in the big for attendance each year.

You got a downtown office? You must be loaded!

On que, just like others have posted about you. You are challenged and you have to revert by saying I'm upset. Reality, I'm sitting here in my downtown office laughing at you with a PU and OSU grad reading your responses. My OSU coworker would like to know where were these fans this year. Typically they are ranked 7th or 8th in the big for attendance each year.
And I'm laughing that your only option here was to change the subject since you know nothing about Miller. Sorry your feelings are so hurt. Your downtown office? Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT