ADVERTISEMENT

2 Basketball Questions

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
So, help me out ...

Question 1
I go through the mental exercise of calculating how Zach Edey will do in the NBA, a league in which he will match up against some players who are as big (almost), strong and talented as he is. He certainly is a load for TJD. Has anybody watched Purdue against Michigan or Purdue against Rutgers? How did Edey match up against Dickinson or Omoruyi?

Question 2
Both the IU men and women incorporate multiple screens in the area between the free throw line and the circle. The screens set by both teams are ineffective because there is room between the screener and the cutter and because the screener slips the screen early. When Thad Matta coached at OSU, he emphasized setting the screen on the front leg of the defender. If the IU men and women used this technique, a lot more defenders would be scraped off or forced under the screen.

Coach Woodson and coach Moren can thank me with tickets to the final 4.

Oooops: Dick Matta changed to Thad Matta

Last edited:
So, help me out ...

Question 1
I go through the mental exercise of calculating how Zach Edey will do in the NBA, a league in which he will match up against some players who are as big (almost), strong and talented as he is. He certainly is a load for TJD. Has anybody watched Purdue against Michigan or Purdue against Rutgers? How did Edey match up against Dickinson or Omoruyi?

Question 2
Both the IU men and women incorporate multiple screens in the area between the free throw line and the circle. The screens set by both teams are ineffective because there is room between the screener and the cutter and because the screener slips the screen early. When Dick Matta coached at OSU, he emphasized setting the screen on the front leg of the defender. If the IU men and women used this technique, a lot more defenders would be scraped off or forced under the screen.

Dick Matta the former coach of the Chicago Bulls back in the 70's?

So, help me out ...

Question 1

Question 2
Both the IU men and women incorporate multiple screens in the area between the free throw line and the circle. The screens set by both teams are ineffective because there is room between the screener and the cutter and because the screener slips the screen early. When Thad Matta coached at OSU, he emphasized setting the screen on the front leg of the defender. If the IU men and women used this technique, a lot more defenders would be scraped off or forced under the screen.

Can't answer the part of your first question about how he matched up with MI or Rutgers, but I expect he'll have a pretty long and relatively successful pro career. To me the pro game is about matchups and mismatches and with his size, he can protect the paint, rebound and would be a solid offensive threat around the basket. I'd guess he'd probably come off the bench, but he will be a mismatch problem for many teams and centers, as they have migrated to smaller more mobile 5s. I'm thinking a modern day Mark Eaton type.

#1: See Tacko Fall, Isaac Haas, or any other PUke big that didn't stick in the league. Edey can't guard much other than the basket, which is a big part of the reason why JHS had a career day against the PUkes. They have defensive 3 seconds in the NBA and a shorter shot clock. I don't think Edey is fast, skilled, or athletic enough for the NBA game. Chief Bromden ball can work in college: NBA is a different story. I'm guessing Edey ends up overseas after 2-3 years.

So, help me out ...

Question 1

Question 2

I don't think Edey will be able to guard anyone at the next level. His defense is what will hold him back. Offensively I think he would do fine in the NBA.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
A good comparison is 7’4 Boban Marjonovic(or however his name is spelled) barely sees any minutes at all in the NBA, switched to doing commercials).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT