ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Basketball Press Conference 2PM

Capiche

Newcomer
Jul 28, 2011
I live in Columbus. Thad Matta and Gene Smith will hold a joint press conference at 2PM. OSU websites are reporting this will be Thad's last year as coach. Physical issues have really taken its toll on Thad in the last few years. I expect Gene will make the standard statement that it will be an extensive search to find a new coach and to thank Thad for his service to the university.

I live in Columbus. Thad Matta and Gene Smith will hold a joint press conference at 2PM. OSU websites are reporting this will be Thad's last year as coach. Physical issues have really taken its toll on Thad in the last few years. I expect Gene will make the standard statement that it will be an extensive search to find a new coach and to thank Thad for his service to the university.
I haven't kept up with their recruiting,, but they have lost so many people over the last two years that they must have a pretty big class of 2017. I have never heard why Lyle left the program, but could a change of coaching bring him back?

I think Lyle liked Tom Crean. Maybe tOSU could hire him? He really was a great coac!;)

I haven't kept up with their recruiting,, but they have lost so many people over the last two years that they must have a pretty big class of 2017. I have never heard why Lyle left the program, but could a change of coaching bring him back?

I think Lyle liked Tom Crean. Maybe tOSU could hire him? He really was a great coac!;)
Has Lyle told anyone what his future plans are?

Will be interesting to see who they get to replace Thad. Likely that Archie would have ended up there if the timing was better. Let the comparisons of OSU's new coach and Archie begin! Without knowing their hire, I like our chances.

Rumors flying of people seeing Billy D's wife attending a donkey show in Dublin, OH this weekend....coincidence?
I heard Tom and Joni were spotted in a Columbus hotel this morning. Be interesting how see if he inks for the long term!

Football is only weeks away at Horseshoe U. Basketball is not a high priority in Columbus.

Football is only weeks away at Horseshoe U. Basketball is not a high priority in Columbus.
Actually, at some schools, and I know this sounds crazy, the fans take pride in succeeding in all sports! Especially the big two in basketball and football! Crazy, right?

Ohio State fans are not as rabid about basketball as football, but they certainly invest in basketball too.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
At my high school in Indiana we had more kids go out for wrestling than football. And basketball far out drew football. I know there are pockets of football interest in Indiana but as a whole football is just something to do until Basketball season starts for a lot of Indiana.

Indiana is not and never will be a football state. Ohio is not and never will be a basketball state. Just the way it is.
Cool. Never said otherwise. A lot of our fans, you in particular, seem hellbent and obsessed on splitting everything up. It's annoying. We're on the same team. More than one sport can be good.

Ohio State may be able to draw in a MAC coach looking for a bump in salary.

Cool. Never said otherwise. A lot of our fans, you in particular, seem hellbent and obsessed on splitting everything up. It's annoying. We're on the same team. More than one sport can be good.
I have been pleasantly surprised by the improvement in IU Football under Coach Wilson. Going to back to back bowls may have only happened once or twice in my lifetime. It is much harder to change the football program than basketball program due to the number of premium athletes needed in football to compete. IU needs a Superstar football coach to leap levels of competiton to compete at the highest level. I would love for IU to be great in two sports, and IU historically has been great in Soccer and Basketball. I go to football games but realistically after 50 years of historically losing I don't expect competing for a National Title in football as I do in Basketball and Soccer. I am just realistic. I am optimistic with another new Football coach. But the team talent level is still not there to compete with the football schools that stockpile talent and hire Multi-million Dollar celebrity head coaches like Harbaugh and Urb. When IU hires a football coach in the caliber of either of these two star head coaches then I will be excited for IU football. If IU does not hire a superstar head football coach, then they are happy with a .500 record and being bowl eligible once or twice every decade.

Reactions: bang63
I doubt it this late in the game. If they do they got lucky. Ohio State basketball players know they are forever in the shadow of the football team at Ohio State.
Still an enormous athletic department with tremendous resources, financial and otherwise. A great job that will attract plenty of interest from top tier candidates.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the improvement in IU Football under Coach Wilson. Going to back to back bowls may have only happened once or twice in my lifetime. It is much harder to change the football program than basketball program due to the number of premium athletes needed in football to compete. IU needs a Superstar football coach to leap levels of competiton to compete at the highest level. I would love for IU to be great in two sports, and IU historically has been great in Soccer and Basketball. I go to football games but realistically after 50 years of historically losing I don't expect competing for a National Title in football as I do in Basketball and Soccer. I am just realistic. I am optimistic with another new Football coach. But the team talent level is still not there to compete with the football schools that stockpile talent and hire Multi-million Dollar celebrity head coaches like Harbaugh and Urb. When IU hires a football coach in the caliber of either of these two star head coaches then I will be excited for IU football. If IU does not hire a superstar head football coach, then they are happy with a .500 record and being bowl eligible once or twice every decade.

I'll go over this like I have with recruiting. Hiring is a two way street. No matter how much interest IU may have in "Urb" or Harbaugh, they would not be able to throw enough money at the to get them to come to this program. Those "celebrity" coaches will only go to already established elite programs. If you think it is just IU not investing enough or wanting to be a better program than that, you just don't have any idea. When we have a stadium about half the size of the two programs you mention and only fill it up when OSU comes to town (and even then most of our fans are out tailgating most of the game), you start to see the root of the problem. That said, I think Allen has tons of potential to be a great coach, but with this program, results will be what works to turn it around. We couldn't throw enough money out there to get s coach to instantly turn it around (and even if that was possible, which I'm not saying we don't have enough money to raise some of those coaches salaries by a lot), they would still have to get the results before getting the recruits....unless they were doing things to put the program in jeopardy. So, stop with the IU doesn't want the program to be successful because they don't go after coaches that wouldn't come here anyway bs. The programs has become more competitive, and it is going to be a slow process (especially if you want that success to be sustained....our program would essentially be shut down by the NCAA for some of the crap OSU and Bama have gotten away with, because we don't make them enough money to not be made an example of).

Like i said when we were dreaming of Stevens and Donovan....give me one example of a current NBA coach leaving because of a college situation.

I'm pretty sure all the ex NBA coaches were fired first.

OSU is a slight step up from Illinois. Matta was their most successful coach in history and he did it on the back of recruiting Indiana while we were down and during a golden age of Ohio high school.

OSU was never a national player for recruiting. Once the state dried up so did recruiting.

Mack and Cronin are more realistic.

Like i said when we were dreaming of Stevens and Donovan....give me one example of a current NBA coach leaving because of a college situation.

I'm pretty sure all the ex NBA coaches were fired first.

OSU is a slight step up from Illinois. Matta was their most successful coach in history and he did it on the back of recruiting Indiana while we were down and during a golden age of Ohio high school.

OSU was never a national player for recruiting. Once the state dried up so did recruiting.

Mack and Cronin are more realistic.

Cronin seems to make the most sense to me, but who knows.

Matta has the best win percentage of B10 games of any coach with 10 or more years, or so I heard on PTI.

Illinois has more upside in basketball than OSU with Chicago and Peoria in-state recruiting grounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT