ADVERTISEMENT

Only three conferences?

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
I was listening to sports radio yesterday as I had to drive 4 hrs. They interviewed Warren and then the big ten coaches, then finished with their own commentary
1. Warren came across as articulate. None of the speech errors as prior.
2. He did not give any real info. “Coach speak” through out. But, what would we expect.
3. PUs coach sounded as if he does not expect a high win season.
4. The finishing comments by the hosts were that they expected conferencing expansion to the point there would be three super conferences.
5. Right now as it stands, the SEC with the add of Texas and Ok, will be able to demand/control tv contracts.

Anybody else hear this?

I haven't heard the three conferences idea but it wouldn't surprise me if the power 5 schools don't evolve into three conferences. It looks like the B12 will be defunct soon leaving SEC, B1G, ACC, and P12 so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch to make it just three conferences. Four conferences have a nice balance to it and would play into the play-off system nicely if it goes to 12 teams.

Reactions: CC Mac
I was listening to sports radio yesterday as I had to drive 4 hrs. They interviewed Warren and then the big ten coaches, then finished with their own commentary
1. Warren came across as articulate. None of the speech errors as prior.
2. He did not give any real info. “Coach speak” through out. But, what would we expect.
3. PUs coach sounded as if he does not expect a high win season.
4. The finishing comments by the hosts were that they expected conferencing expansion to the point there would be three super conferences.
5. Right now as it stands, the SEC with the add of Texas and Ok, will be able to demand/control tv contracts.

Anybody else hear this?
Barry controls the future of the conference. Warren is simply a mouthpiece. Completely in over his head. But…..great to be here. Getting run over by a car was truly a blessing.

GIF-Chloe-Moretz-WTF-GIF.gif

Reactions: hookyIU1990
This is starting to feel like its going to be 3 conferences. The reason why it will be tough to have 4 conferences is because no matter what, the ACC, the B1G and the Pac-12 will need to add prominent football schools to stay relevant. The SEC will be raking in a lot of money and standing still will collectively hurt all of the other conferences. The Big 12 is absolutely done for because no big school will leave where they currently are to go to that hot mess of a conference.

So, if we know the other 3 conferences outside of the SEC need to add prominent teams and those 3 conferences are the only place those types of teams exist, then you're left with just one option here. In the end I think the PAC-12 schools will be the ones on the move and at that point we are likely to see USC, Washington, Oregon type schools joining the B1G. I also envision all 3 of the conference names changing, collectively forming a unique committee outside of the NCAA jurisdiction and those 3 conferences only playing each other. It'll be around 64 schools in those leagues and instead of paying off small schools to be their opponent, they will want to keep the money in their institutions.

It will be interesting to see what eventually takes place but as we all likely grasp at this point, there will be monumental change between now and the kick-off of the 2025 season.

This is starting to feel like its going to be 3 conferences. The reason why it will be tough to have 4 conferences is because no matter what, the ACC, the B1G and the Pac-12 will need to add prominent football schools to stay relevant. The SEC will be raking in a lot of money and standing still will collectively hurt all of the other conferences. The Big 12 is absolutely done for because no big school will leave where they currently are to go to that hot mess of a conference.

So, if we know the other 3 conferences outside of the SEC need to add prominent teams and those 3 conferences are the only place those types of teams exist, then you're left with just one option here. In the end I think the PAC-12 schools will be the ones on the move and at that point we are likely to see USC, Washington, Oregon type schools joining the B1G. I also envision all 3 of the conference names changing, collectively forming a unique committee outside of the NCAA jurisdiction and those 3 conferences only playing each other. It'll be around 64 schools in those leagues and instead of paying off small schools to be their opponent, they will want to keep the money in their institutions.

It will be interesting to see what eventually takes place but as we all likely grasp at this point, there will be monumental change between now and the kick-off of the 2025 season.
The Big 12 is for all intents and purposes defunct now with Texas and OU, so the question is, whose next PAC 12, B1G or ACC if one more has to go. And what happens to the schools left in the dust. It's going to be musical chairs and no one will want to be left out when the music stops. It could really end up being two super conferences (SEC/ACC, B1G/PAC 12) with some other schools just left on the outside. In any event, unwinding schools from existing conferences takes time, many years in many cases, so while the change may be in process in 2025, I think it will take much longer before the new reality becomes clear.

The Big 12 is for all intents and purposes defunct now with Texas and OU, so the question is, whose next PAC 12, B1G or ACC if one more has to go. And what happens to the schools left in the dust. It's going to be musical chairs and no one will want to be left out when the music stops. It could really end up being two super conferences (SEC/ACC, B1G/PAC 12) with some other schools just left on the outside. In any event, unwinding schools from existing conferences takes time, many years in many cases, so while the change may be in process in 2025, I think it will take much longer before the new reality becomes clear.

The environment is ever changing but it doesn't take 3 years to expand. The B1G renews its television rights again in 2023. The increase in television revenue by adding teams is a large multiplier when adding prominent schools so the B1G will be acting with relative haste here.

Although the changes won't suddenly stop in 2025, I think the vast majority of the upheaval will have taken place and the conference alignments as we know them will likely be decided. Is it possible other schools who land outside the major conferences make it back in later on down the line? Sure, its possible but if those schools are going to be receiving second rate revenue and their ability to recruit better talent is diminished, than it will be harder and harder to stay remotely relevant. I can't fathom a scenario where anyone outside of those major conferences will be eligible to compete in their playoffs.

The other conversation to which I find to be considerably more difficult is all of the conferences merging together to form one 32 team league, similar to the NFL. I feel like you would need to have a major merger of SEC and ACC. If that happens, then even merging the B1G and PAC-12 wouldn't be enough to overcome the ACC/SEC +Texas & Oklahoma. In that circumstance, maybe the prominent B1G and PAC-12 schools find their way into this super league. Who knows....it's all pure conjecture at this point but we know massive change is forthcoming sooner rather than later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT