ADVERTISEMENT

Only 20% of the public says it's very confident in the country's elections

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

Dan Carlin said this was a possibility in 2016 on his Common Sense podcast and that people he had talked to in the intelligence communities were worried that the Russians were trying to accomplish this via social media bots, etc. at that time.

Regardless of who caused this, though, it's very troublesome.

Dan Carlin said this was a possibility in 2016 on his Common Sense podcast and that people he had talked to in the intelligence communities were worried that the Russians were trying to accomplish this via social media bots, etc. at that time.

Correct and Big Data ( Baris ) polling shows an overwhelming majority support voter id laws. Even a good percentage of dems. In Georgia it was like 70% support voter id. Do not let the dems sell the lie that that voter id is not popular.

I've long argued that this is a problem. Whether there was or wasn't fraud is a separate issue from perception, and as long as people perceive that elections aren't fair, irrespective how absurd their beliefs may be, it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Voter Id's mandatory.
No mail ins unless disabled, military, out of the country, etc.
Two national holidays to vote
Equitable locations.

Greater uniformity. Shouldn't be hard

Heartbeat vs. brainwave, there exists a strong practical argument that one side should join the other.

• Haha
Reactions: dr.jb
Many Biden voters didn't even have a heartbeat.
It has been proven over and over and over again that such shenanigans, though very rare, were much more commonly attempted by Trump voters.

Trumpers trying to vote twice, trying to vote for a dead spouse or dead parent, etc. Several have been proscecuted.

Several publicized cases have also been debunked, such as an allegation of a >100 year old dead person voting, when a vote was instead legally cast by a registered voter having the same name. So... made up crap,

But don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

• Haha
Reactions: Bill4411 and DANC
I've long argued that this is a problem. Whether there was or wasn't fraud is a separate issue from perception, and as long as people perceive that elections aren't fair, irrespective how absurd their beliefs may be, it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Voter Id's mandatory.
Equitable locations.

Just about spit my drink out at "shouldn't be hard". Wtf country do you live in?

Need more mail in balloting and drop boxes. That will fix it!
What will fix it, in one easy step:
1.a. Don't nominate a crybaby grifter as the candidate
b. Don't believe him when crybaby grifter starts saying, months before the election that if he gets beat, it will only be because of voter fraud
c. Don't believe him that it's voter fraud when he is destroyed in a landslide
d. Don't believe him when he trots out Attorneys Kraken and HairPaint to release a statement at the landscaping company
e. Don't believe him when he continues to cry

That was easy, right?

b. Don't believe him when crybaby grifter starts saying, months before the election that if he gets beat, it will only be because of voter fraud
d. Don't believe him when he trots out Attorneys Kraken and HairPaint to release a statement at the landscaping company

That was easy, right?
Not when the stat is only 20%. That is a staggering figure that transcends what you write. I personally am not VERY CONFIDENT and I don't believe any of the Trump stuff. I think it's time to be federalized

Many Biden voters didn't even have a heartbeat.
That is why they want to mail a ballot to anyone. The voter rolls in many states are so outdated many a dead voters would receive a ballot. You need a photo id to enter a bar or restaurant in Chicago now but not an id to vote. LOL.

Reactions: DANC

That was easy, right?
Or you could go with a candidate who doesn't come out of his basement, promises to stop Covid and then depend on mass mail ins, harvesting and a stoppage in counting @ 2:00 am... That was easy right?

Reactions: DANC

That was easy, right?
This message, although partly in humor, gets at a fundamental problem with how we are thinking about these issues. First, it ignores the notion that we have to take people as they are when talking about grand scale things like this, vaccination hesitancy, etc. We do it when designing retirement accounts, social security, etc.

Second, it puts the blame on one party, instead of grappling with this notion that we now live in an era where it seems plausible that a foreign power can generate discord in a democracy such that only 20% of people are confident (I know the poll said "highly" confident, but I'm using the qualifier plausible so bumping this up a notch) in their elections.

McM is right: in a democracy, as a policy matter, I'm not sure you can just ignore the perception of tens-of-millions of people on something so fundamental to our system, even if those perceptions are wrong.

That was easy, right?
f. Don’t hide behind a pandemic to lure people into mail in voting which has all sorts of bad optics and will lead to distrust in the process

Or you could go with a candidate who doesn't come out of his basement, promises to stop Covid and then depend on mass mail ins, harvesting and a stoppage in counting @ 2:00 am... That was easy right?
Can someone come take this kid back to their turf? We’ve got a sheep separated from the flock.

f. Don’t hide behind a pandemic to lure people into mail in voting which has all sorts of bad optics and will lead to distrust in the process
Both parties have shot holes in the reliability of elections. Hillary was claiming the prior election was stolen by the Russians. That is why the faith numbers are abysmal. I'm surprised 20% still believe in it given we have had 5 years of both parties claiming fraud when they lost.

I think it's time to be federalized

Hawaiians will tell Hoosiers how to run an election over my dead body.....or something like that. But yes, all national elections should be federalized. I know COH will tell us it's up the states to run elections and the president isn't elected nationally, but we should change/update that.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Both parties have shot holes in the reliability of elections. Hillary was claiming the prior election was stolen by the Russians. That is why the faith numbers are abysmal. I'm surprised 20% still believe in it given we have had 5 years of both parties claiming fraud when they lost.
So we need some type of grand compromise taking into account the concerns of both sides:

Bipartisan commission to figure out secure election standards nationwide (which computer systems, chads, etc. are best); ID required to vote but we'll set aside a Friday-Sunday weekend, National Election Holiday, to vote; all who vote get a free beer. Let's celebrate our democracy!

Edit: you're an unknown freshman representative, you go to the beer lobby and tell them to get behind you, present this idea on the floor, have the beer lobby advertise and support the hell out of it, don't be a loon (toughest part), and you win the presidency in 2024.

Last edited by a moderator:

That was easy, right?
That’s just ignoring the real issue. There were plenty of concerns with the 2016 election. This problem is not exclusive to Trump sympathizers. Many of you have poisoned the well on any honest discussion about election security with incessant whining about his ridiculous claims. If Trump came out & said we need a discussion about anything half the country shuts down, and that’s not on Trump’s folks, but the other half…

That’s just ignoring the real issue. There were plenty of concerns with the 2016 election. This problem is not exclusive to Trump sympathizers. Many of you have poisoned the well on any honest discussion about election security with incessant whining about his ridiculous claims. If Trump came out & said we need a discussion about anything half the country shuts down, and that’s not on Trump’s folks, but the other half…
Admittedly, I did ignore half the issue...but that's half the fun on here, as well as the SOP. ;)

Go on…. What have I earned pinocchios on?
well, most recently for arguing that mail-in voting destroyed confidence in the vote.

No, LYING about non-existent irregularities in mail-in voting, totally ignoring the fact that mail-in voting was established practice in so many states for so long, and of course THE BIG LIE destroyed confidence in the vote.

Reactions: bawlmer
well, most recently for arguing that mail-in voting destroyed confidence in the vote.

No, LYING about non-existent irregularities in mail-in voting, totally ignoring the fact that mail-in voting was established practice in so many states for so long, and of course THE BIG LIE destroyed confidence in the vote.
Adding mail in voting at scale to places that are unaccustomed to it did hurt voting confidence. This isn’t hard, doctor. I’m sorry it is for you.

So we need some type of grand compromise taking into account the concerns of both sides:

Bipartisan commission to figure out secure election standards nationwide (which computer systems, chads, etc. are best); ID required to vote but we'll set aside a Friday-Sunday weekend, National Election Holiday, to vote; all who vote get a free beer. Let's celebrate our democracy!

Edit: you're an unknown freshman representative, you go to the beer lobby and tell them to get behind you, present this idea on the floor, have the beer lobby advertise and support the hell out of it, don't be a loon (toughest part), and you win the presidency in 2024.
If it is a federal holiday, why do we need 3 days? If everyone is getting the day off it should be one day, vote in person, with a valid ID. I believe that would put us on par with just about any country running an election. You could have a small set aside for absentee ballots that are requested in advance by the voter.

I did not get far down the list but every country I scrolled through had an election day. The Czech Republic had a 24 hour period that spanned 2 days but it was still technically a day.

Edit: The more time it takes to complete an election, the more you will have people complain about any irregularities that occur.

If it is a federal holiday, why do we need 3 days? If everyone is getting the day off it should be one day, vote in person, with a valid ID. I believe that would put us on par with just about any country running an election. You could have a small set aside for absentee ballots that are requested in advance by the voter.

I did not get far down the list but every country I scrolled through had an election day. The Czech Republic had a 24 hour period that spanned 2 days but it was still technically a day.

Edit: The more time it takes to complete an election, the more you will have people complain about any irregularities that occur.
1. Because everyone likes three-day weekends
2. Because it will also turn into a national bacchanal in celebration of our democracy
3. Because people complain about how hard it is to vote, stand in lines, etc. If you have 72 hours, those complaints will be trivial (most are now).

Reactions: Cortez88 and larsIU
I’m pretty sure people still work on national holidays so we should expand that mail-in voting idea. Works great in Colorado and there’s even an online tracking system to check your voting status/registration.

Sound good? Good.

Reactions: Cortez88

Voter Id's mandatory.
Equitable locations.

It shouldn’t be hard. Why are the democrats against it?

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
It shouldn’t be hard. Why are the democrats against it?
They think it'll inure to the benefit of Republicans. In the meantime Republicans want to redraw as many lines as necessary and make voting as difficult as possible. They know old people will stand in line. Both just trying to game the system. Both shitty. And no room for a third party.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortez88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT