ADVERTISEMENT

One and Done Recuriting

IU because I would never want to build our program like UK or have Cal anywhere close to IU as a coach. I have said many times that I would lose every game than have Cal as the coach of IU.
Right on. To each their own I suppose.

Again, spot on.

At some point you've got to draw the line. Archie's real name is Ryan but he got the moniker by being a gruff SOB - like Archie Bunker. He's not doing himself - or romeo - any favors by not holding him accountable.

But let's be real honest here: it's a LOT easier to hold someone accountable when you have a real threat of the bench. And Miller doesn't have that. I'd have no issues with him sitting Romeo and Justin and playing Anderson and Moore instead to send a message - but you and I both know we're losing the game. Would people be OK with losing by sitting Romeo/Justin for inferior players? I truly wonder . . .

I remember when Knight did it with Alford during his losing streak and don't kid yourself, it's lore now, but in Bedford (I was a kid with an afternoon paper route who would stop in a coffeehouse/store for candy during my route) people we're PISSED that he threw that game for being an ''asshole tyrant'.

And that was Knight in 1985 at the height of his power.

But we loved Stevie. And we loved Damon. And we love Romeo.

I know for a fact that Knight lost a big chunk of southern Indiana with how Damon's career was going into his senior year. Especially when Kansas kept knocking us out in the tournament.

The fan base is fickle.

Anyway I would love to see a pissed off starting lineup and then afterwards say that he was going to play the kids that want to fight....but we'd lose, probably badly, and he doesn't have the goodwill built to be able to pull a coach Norman Dale my team is on the floor move.

IU because I would never want to build our program like UK or have Cal anywhere close to IU as a coach. I have said many times that I would lose every game than have Cal as the coach of IU.
You mentioned you’d like to emulate UNC’s program. You cool with having fake courses created for the sole purpose of getting your players eligible? Just curious.

To be honest there is no way in hell even Justin would be playing as many minutes as he has, when he goes into one of his funks during the game, if we had anyone that could spell him.

Like at the beginning of of season.

This season has been nothing but a giant fist f#$k.

You bring in a recruit that as a coach you absolutely can't mess up or it will cripple you for years to come. You can't be the one that ruined Romeo.

Which means as much as you try, you coach him differently.

When you coach someone differently the rest of the team notices. Hell as a fan I got tired of everyone telling me how he was the greatest player to ever come out of the state in the past 30 years. I can't imagine the players when they are constantly asked what it's like to play with a special talent like Romeo.

Then add the adversity on top of it and now the chemistry starts to crumble instead of pulling together.

Think back to Troy, Stan, Noah and Luke F.

Think Oklahoma last year.

Think Ellis, Bassett, Crawford and Thomas right after Sampson was fired.

It's a delicate thing and if it's not managed correctly it can kill teams.

I'm starting to believe the Romeo pressure with the injury availability has led to adversity that has capsized the chemistry.

And it sucks.

And it's another reason why Calipari gets his biggest praise of coaching one and dones because his personality is even larger than the so called phenoms. As is K's. As would have been Knight.

Hell Knight would rip on his stars to make sure they knew who was in charge.

Anyway, in retrospect I beginning to think that Romeo was probably best for all parties had he gone to Kansas until we we're ready for the pressure of coaching a kid with his popularity.

Not year two.

Regardless, as TMP said, Archie gets a tough F for this season if it continues to be this dumpster fire.

I get that it's a tough spot with all the injuries along with getting nothing from your upperclassmen except Morgan (seriously our senior and junior classes are complete busts).

But you can't lose the team and I think he has.

I believe it's Romeo related in a round about way but I'm just speculating.

You realize Archie made the comment that Romeo is one of the most coachable players he has ever had? So a kid who stayed after high school basketball games is now the cancer of his team? That is a lot of mental gymnastics to shift the blame away from Archie.

The answer is they're poorly coached and Archie is to blame. Archie is in over his head and hasn't done shit to earn the benefit of the doubt. We just lost our 7th game in a row to Rutgers and your still pontificating about Romeo being the issue. F##king Tom Crean has a better winning percentage than Archie when he was at IU.

You realize Archie made the comment that Romeo is one of the most coachable players he has ever had? So a kid who stayed after high school basketball games is now the cancer of his team? That is a lot of mental gymnastics to shift the blame away from Archie.

The answer is they're poorly coached and Archie is to blame. Archie is in over his head and hasn't done shit to earn the benefit of the doubt. We just lost our 7th game in a row to Rutgers and your still pontificating about Romeo being the issue. F##king Tom Crean has a better winning percentage than Archie when he was at IU.

well, he did make 4 tourneys in a row at Dayton, so it's not like he hasn't done shit to earn the benefit of the doubt. lol

i honestly don't think the two camps here are too far off. one side is pissed and depressed, the other pissed and a bit more hopeful. i'm all for one sharing his opinion but the hot seat for Archie doesn't get turned up unless we look like shit next year and you guys know that. or you should.

all that said, bitch away. it became therapy for me during the last half of crean's career at IU. i would never deny another man his chosen medicine other than the couple true douche bags lurking among us.

You mentioned you’d like to emulate UNC’s program. You cool with having fake courses created for the sole purpose of getting your players eligible? Just curious.
Never said that but the way they build their roster with 4 and low 5 star players who stay at least 3 years on the most part. I would also not want any of my assistant coaches putting $1000 in a FED EX bag

Never said that but the way they build their roster with 4 and low 5 star players who stay at least 3 years on the most part. I would also not want any of my assistant coaches putting $1000 in a FED EX bag
Who’s assistant coach put cash in a fedex bag?

well, he did make 4 tourneys in a row at Dayton, so it's not like he hasn't done shit to earn the benefit of the doubt. lol

i honestly don't think the two camps here are too far off. one side is pissed and depressed, the other pissed and a bit more hopeful. i'm all for one sharing his opinion but the hot seat for Archie doesn't get turned up unless we look like shit next year and you guys know that. or you should.

all that said, bitch away. it became therapy for me during the last half of crean's career at IU. i would never deny another man his chosen medicine other than the couple true douche bags lurking among us.

I don't consider winning some games in the A-10 a major accomplishment. I do tend to bitch more at coaches (they are also the ones getting paid millions) than players until the coach has earn the benefit of the doubt. I'm also more loyal (bias) to the players because of the alum connection.

On a positive note. Come next year, I will have already worked through the 5 stages of grief, when you are still in the anger phase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upset Alert
I don't consider winning some games in the A-10 a major accomplishment. I do tend to bitch more at coaches (they are also the ones getting paid millions) than players until the coach has earn the benefit of the doubt. I'm also more loyal (bias) to the players because of the alum connection.

On a positive note. Come next year, I will have already worked through the 5 stages of grief, when you are still in the anger phase.
When things go wrong I think the majority of the blame should go to the players because they are the ones not executing the plays. They are the ones missing wide open shots, they are the ones missing free throws. I would probably put the blame at 70-30 players.

lol -- you are not really trying to be objective here. 52-18 conf record, 2 conference titles, 4 ncaa tourneys with a G8 appearance is a little diff than winning "some games." that's a very hireable resume. on par with plenty of other mid-major coaches hired by big time programs in the last few years.

you may be right about Archie, but i gotta call foul on this premise. it's prisoner-of-the-moment talk. i get it but i've just decided not to lose my mind and will hold judgement for the next 10 to 12 months.

lol -- you are not really trying to be objective here. 52-18 conf record, 2 conference titles, 4 ncaa tourneys with a G8 appearance is a little diff than winning "some games." that's a very hireable resume. on par with plenty of other mid-major coaches hired by big time programs in the last few years.

you may be right about Archie, but i gotta call foul on this premise. it's prisoner-of-the-moment talk. i get it but i've just decided not to lose my mind and will hold judgement for the next 10 to 12 months.

I’ll phrase it differently. Dayton’s all time winning percentage is 60%. Archie won roughly 68% of his games there. Coaches with that type of success at a mid major have a low probability of being successful when they move up to Power 5 schools. Especially, at IU, where the expectation is to be at least a top 10 program. So, the premise that Archie was some great hire or great coach, is not true in my opinion. Thus, my statements he won some games at Dayton.

You add in the disaster he has been so far at IU and I’ve come to the conclusion he is a dead man walking. Welcome to stage one, denial:). I’m working through stage four, depression.

When things go wrong I think the majority of the blame should go to the players because they are the ones not executing the plays. They are the ones missing wide open shots, they are the ones missing free throws. I would probably put the blame at 70-30 players.

I think that’s more the norm. I’m definitely in the minority.

Not once did I infer that Romeo is a cancer.

Not once.

Put it this way, Damon Bailey is one of the greatest team players you could imagine ..but there is a tremendous amount of pressure to coach Damon Bailey.

I'm a Bedford guy and trust me, Knight lost some of his luster with how Damon's career turned out. We were all pissed that he played him as a shooting guard instead of a point guard. Shooting was his worst skill. His vision was otherworldly.

Anyway, and that was Bob effing Knight. Not a dude in his second year.

There is a tremendous pressure to coach Romeo Langford. What if you rip him apart and his posse turns on you like they did Calipari in the world games (Calipari didn't play him much because of his motor. His posse took Kentucky off their list and questioned Cal's coaching. Don't believe me then why does Rupp Rafters hate Tim Langford and Romeo).

Dennis Green one year lost the Vikings because players complained that Randy Moss and Chris Carter was getting away with stuff that others weren't. Green's answer was you have rules, Moss has guidelines.

Not saying that's the case here but...as a coach you absolutely need Langford to succeed and be a lottery pick or you're pretty f'd. Vonleh was from the East coast, who cares. Langford is an Indiana HS icon, just like Damon was.

Coaching a kid like that is different than others. You can't go Norman Dale on Jimmy. Everyone around Romeo will murder you.

That has nothing to do with Romeo the kid. It's Romeo the phenomena.

He's a 19 kid with a low motor going through adversity on the court for probably the first time in his life.

I'm bitching at Archie for how I believe he's made Romeo is Bracey Wright. Bracey was a good kid too but Davis coached him differently and you could see how our chemistry was crap on those Bracey teams. Luckily for Davis Wright was from Texas and not Paoli so we didn't love Bracey.

What's the right way? On one hand you've got Dakich screaming that he's tired of Archie being so soft on Romeo while he plays clips of Knight ripping Alford in the press conference. That's what some people want.

There's only one outcome that works. You win big. Everyone then wins. Unfortunately that rarely happens and it's obviously not this year and the boat had capsized.

His Ken Pom numbers were not good, he made tourney cause literally the Atlantic is terrible. I mean terrible.

I’ll phrase it differently. Dayton’s all time winning percentage is 60%. Archie won roughly 68% of his games there. Coaches with that type of success at a mid major have a low probability of being successful when they move up to Power 5 schools. Especially, at IU, where the expectation is to be at least a top 10 program. So, the premise that Archie was some great hire or great coach, is not true in my opinion. Thus, my statements he won some games at Dayton.

You add in the disaster he has been so far at IU and I’ve come to the conclusion he is a dead man walking. Welcome to stage one, denial:). I’m working through stage four, depression.
RMK winning percentage at Army was 67% and he turned out fine
Coach K winning percentage at Army was 55% nd he turned out fine

a shockingly similar win % to chris mack at xavier (leagues are relative but so are the players they get) and sitting pretty next to holtman's at butler.

and can you give me more data on your low-probability-of-success-at-your-next-p5 job-if-you-only-move-a-mid-major-program-8%-up-from-it's-historical-average theory? lol

man, i think most of you guys are good dudes. your just pulling this shit our of your asses because it sucks to lose like this. we pulled similar data with crean but only when we had sufficient proof. why go to this dark, dark place you guy are in until you have real evidence?

RMK winning percentage at Army was 67% and he turned out fine
Coach K winning percentage at Army was 55% nd he turned out fine

The next number you need to post is Army’s all time winning percentages overall. Also, look up the definition of probability while your at it.

a shockingly similar win % to chris mack at xavier (leagues are relative but so are the players they get) and sitting pretty next to holtman's at butler.

and can you give me more data on your low-probability-of-success-at-your-next-p5 job-if-you-only-move-a-mid-major-program-8%-up-from-it's-historical-average theory? lol

man, i think most of you guys are good dudes. your just pulling this shit our of your asses because it sucks to lose like this. we pulled similar data with crean but only when we had sufficient proof. why go to this dark, dark place you guy are in until you have real evidence?

The Chris Mack example isn’t apples to apples. It’s more difficult to win in the Big East than A-10. Especially, the 6 years that Mack coached in the Big East. Xavier’s long term average is based on them playing in a easier conference. I don’t care if you think it’s bullshit, I was just explaining my reasoning.

You are correct on not having to go to a dark place to gather evidence. All I need to do is turn on the T.V. Saturday and watch us get our ass kicked for the 8th game in a row. According to Paterfamilies it will be our 3rd longest losing streak in the Big Ten. Right behind Creans 9 and 11 game streaks.

No worries man. I enjoy your posts and will end up posting less about Archie. I’ve already made it painfully obvious what I think about him.

Not once did I infer that Romeo is a cancer.

Not once.

Put it this way, Damon Bailey is one of the greatest team players you could imagine ..but there is a tremendous amount of pressure to coach Damon Bailey.

I'm a Bedford guy and trust me, Knight lost some of his luster with how Damon's career turned out. We were all pissed that he played him as a shooting guard instead of a point guard. Shooting was his worst skill. His vision was otherworldly.

Anyway, and that was Bob effing Knight. Not a dude in his second year.

There is a tremendous pressure to coach Romeo Langford. What if you rip him apart and his posse turns on you like they did Calipari in the world games (Calipari didn't play him much because of his motor. His posse took Kentucky off their list and questioned Cal's coaching. Don't believe me then why does Rupp Rafters hate Tim Langford and Romeo).

Dennis Green one year lost the Vikings because players complained that Randy Moss and Chris Carter was getting away with stuff that others weren't. Green's answer was you have rules, Moss has guidelines.

Not saying that's the case here but...as a coach you absolutely need Langford to succeed and be a lottery pick or you're pretty f'd. Vonleh was from the East coast, who cares. Langford is an Indiana HS icon, just like Damon was.

Coaching a kid like that is different than others. You can't go Norman Dale on Jimmy. Everyone around Romeo will murder you.

That has nothing to do with Romeo the kid. It's Romeo the phenomena.

He's a 19 kid with a low motor going through adversity on the court for probably the first time in his life.

I'm bitching at Archie for how I believe he's made Romeo is Bracey Wright. Bracey was a good kid too but Davis coached him differently and you could see how our chemistry was crap on those Bracey teams. Luckily for Davis Wright was from Texas and not Paoli so we didn't love Bracey.

What's the right way? On one hand you've got Dakich screaming that he's tired of Archie being so soft on Romeo while he plays clips of Knight ripping Alford in the press conference. That's what some people want.

There's only one outcome that works. You win big. Everyone then wins. Unfortunately that rarely happens and it's obviously not this year and the boat had capsized.

Mea culpa on the cancer comment. I thought you were inferring it. If I have time, I’ll address the rest of your post.

Reactions: TommyCracker
[QUOTE="snarlcakes, post: 2593386, According to Paterfamilies it will be our 3rd longest losing streak in the Big Ten. Right behind Creans 9 and 11 game streaks.

[/QUOTE]

Crean lost 8 and 10 in a row in his first season, both in conference games. The next year he lost 11 in a row, and then he lost 9. That is 4 streaks. He also lost 8 of 10 in his last Big Ten season.

In 1913, IU was 0-10. (Yes, I had to look that up).

Reactions: snarlcakes
Actually the last four games...yeah we have been.

Kid is something like 3 for 21 beyond the arc.

Yup we need more 18 year old, one year mercenaries. Dey gotz mad skillz!!!

Yeah they aren't going to play defense, or hustle unless they are naturally wired that way (like Zion or Zeller) but da gooroos say they have mad skillz.
You still think we’d be better off without Romeo?

Well maybe if your five star darling was playing well then you'd have something, but the kid can't hit a thing from more than ten feet away and he plays defense like he knows he only has 60 days left to go.

Yup this is the kind of defensive effort we need to be champions again!

Smith (the other low energy guy) also shines in his help d. He sure looks like he wants to take a charge there (he might of had 3 or 4 fouls then tho).

Of course Romeo hustles over to cover the shooter. Oh wait, nah he just stands and watches.

Bump

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT