ADVERTISEMENT

One and Done Recuriting

Well maybe if your five star darling was playing well then you'd have something, but the kid can't hit a thing from more than ten feet away and he plays defense like he knows he only has 60 days left to go.

Yup this is the kind of defensive effort we need to be champions again!

Smith (the other low energy guy) also shines in his help d. He sure looks like he wants to take a charge there (he might of had 3 or 4 fouls then tho).

Of course Romeo hustles over to cover the shooter. Oh wait, nah he just stands and watches.

Actually the last four games...yeah we have been.

Kid is something like 3 for 21 beyond the arc.

Yup we need more 18 year old, one year mercenaries. Dey gotz mad skillz!!!

Yeah they aren't going to play defense, or hustle unless they are naturally wired that way (like Zion or Zeller) but da gooroos say they have mad skillz.
Good call man. We’d win this game if we just didn’t have Romeo. He’s the problem here.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
You didn't give Archie a chance. Nonsense. The rest of it is just funny. You basically readily admit that you make shit up because you hate glass.

You get credit. You were finally kinda honest. Kinda...you're still full of shit about us being at the bottom in basketball the last 10 years. But at least we know why. By the way...no one cares about your stupid "bring down the AD" agenda.
If you care about IU sports you should definitely care that Fred Glass is our AD.

If you care about IU sports you should definitely care that Fred Glass is our AD.
Specific IU sports. Men's soccer is doing well again. Baseball has had more success under Glass than it did before him. Women's basketball is consistently improving. While his choice for football coach was not met with enthusiasm, football recruiting has turned a corner and there is hope that will translate into more success on the field. Archie was considered by many to be a home-run hire at the time. And while you have now admitted that you've already given up on Archie after a year and a half, most people understand that it's a mistake to judge the success of turning around a program in such a short amount of time. Mr. Negativity strikes again.

Specific IU sports. Men's soccer is doing well again. Baseball has had more success under Glass than it did before him. Women's basketball is consistently improving. While his choice for football coach was not met with enthusiasm, football recruiting has turned a corner and there is hope that will translate into more success on the field. Archie was considered by many to be a home-run hire at the time. And while you have now admitted that you've already given up on Archie after a year and a half, most people understand that it's a mistake to judge the success of turning around a program in such a short amount of time. Mr. Negativity strikes again.

In the days of my old friend Bill Orwig as IU Athletic Director, Purdue would never have agreed to any all sports competition trophy. So far this year the Boilermakers have won football, women’s soccer, volleyball, cross country, women’s basketball game # 1, men’s basketball game # 1, wrestling. Indiana has won men’s and women’s swimming. I have been following Big Ten sports more than 50 years and Purdue has never dominated all sports competition between the two schools like this.

Soccer has always done well. And he inherited a great baseball coach and let him leave. They’ve gone downhill ever since.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Good call man. We’d win this game if we just didn’t have Romeo. He’s the problem here.

We'll never know until he sits. Maybe his dad will shut him down.

Had a good offensive game tonight, kindof. Still didn't go hard and a 2 star recruit (Harper) ran over and bullied him while he half assed guarded.

And we lost again so there's that.

But I'll leave Romeo alone. Tonight was Phinesse and his ah hem passing that killed us and fueled their 22-0 run.

Soccer has always done well. And he inherited a great baseball coach and let him leave. They’ve gone downhill ever since.
That's some revisionist history...

Yeah, IU Soccer was great under Jerry Yeagley, but Mike Freitag was coach when Glass was hired. The soccer program languished during Freitag's final years. Glass did not renew Freitag's contract and brought in Todd Yeagley who was the perfect hire.

IU Baseball? You want to get rid of Miller now because the basketball team isn't doing well after a year and a half. By those standards, Glass should have gotten rid of Tracy Smith well before he took the baseball team to the College World Series. IU Baseball barely won over half their games in the first four seasons that Glass was AD. He kept Tracy and they thrived. You don't give him credit for that, obviously.

And you didn't have a rebuttal for hiring Teri Moren for women's basketball coach. And for good reason. She's turned that program around in a major way.

IU's football recruiting class is rated 42nd in the country - last year's was 49th. When was the last time IU had two top 50 classes back-to-back? Now's the time to start seeing results on the field.

And when Archie was hired, national media declared it a home-run hire. He's only been coach for a season and a half... let's see how that plays out, Mr. Negativity.

That's some revisionist history...

Yeah, IU Soccer was great under Jerry Yeagley, but Mike Freitag was coach when Glass was hired. The soccer program languished during Freitag's final years. Glass did not renew Freitag's contract and brought in Todd Yeagley who was the perfect hire.

IU Baseball? You want to get rid of Miller now because the basketball team isn't doing well after a year and a half. By those standards, Glass should have gotten rid of Tracy Smith well before he took the baseball team to the College World Series. IU Baseball barely won over half their games in the first four seasons that Glass was AD. He kept Tracy and they thrived. You don't give him credit for that, obviously.

And you didn't have a rebuttal for hiring Teri Moren for women's basketball coach. And for good reason. She's turned that program around in a major way.

IU's football recruiting class is rated 42nd in the country - last year's was 49th. When was the last time IU had two top 50 classes back-to-back? Now's the time to start seeing results on the field.

And when Archie was hired, national media declared it a home-run hire. He's only been coach for a season and a half... let's see how that plays out, Mr. Negativity.
Look...you can’t rewrite the facts. Our basketball team has made the NCAAT 4 times in the 10 years he’s been AD. That alone should get him fired.

Football has been to 2 bowl games in 10 years. By the coach he hired, extended, then fired the next year. And his HS coach experiment is failing.

No other sports matter if you’re an AD. Those are your two big money makers. AD’s don’t get hired or fired for baseball, women’s basketball, or field hockey.

Look...you can’t rewrite the facts. Our basketball team has made the NCAAT 4 times in the 10 years he’s been AD. That alone should get him fired.

Football has been to 2 bowl games in 10 years. By the coach he hired, extended, then fired the next year. And his HS coach experiment is failing.

No other sports matter if you’re an AD. Those are your two big money makers. AD’s don’t get hired or fired for baseball, women’s basketball, or field hockey.
Got it. You try to refute the facts as I presented about the other sports and failed, so you ignore that and changed the argument. Well done. You also conveniently ignore my point about giving a coach enough time to succeed - which applies to both the head football coach (two years and is now beginning to get top 50 recruiting classes) and the head basketball coach (only one and a half seasons and successfully recruiting the best in-state basketball players). Congrats, Mr. Negativity!

The KY fans I know (all over 40) like the wins and the rankings but are not happy with the way the program has been outsourced to a series of mercenaries with very little connection to the university or fans.
I’m a ky fan (over 40) and I’m extremely happy with the wins and rankings........period. I don’t give a crap about any else. It’s freakin sweet

I’m a ky fan (over 40) and I’m extremely happy with the wins and rankings........period. I don’t give a crap about any else. It’s freakin sweet

This is perfect. I agree that this describes a Kentucky fan perfectly. A number of fans on this board who seem to call themselves IU fans want this as well, which is not the same as what traditional IU fans want.

If you have 10 RSCI top 100 kids on your team then you have more talent than basically anyone, and that means you should win 30 games and get to the final four. Anything less is a bad season. And you can hardly compare that to what Wichita State did in getting their Final Four, for example. Or Loyola, or whoever.

This is perfect. I agree that this describes a Kentucky fan perfectly. A number of fans on this board who seem to call themselves IU fans want this as well, which is not the same as what traditional IU fans want.

If you have 10 RSCI top 100 kids on your team then you have more talent than basically anyone, and that means you should win 30 games and get to the final four. Anything less is a bad season. And you can hardly compare that to what Wichita State did in getting their Final Four, for example. Or Loyola, or whoever.

I used to consider myself a traditional Kentucky fan. Then Cal showed up and we started making final fours on the reg. Turns out it’s pretty rad.

Let me ask you this. Kentucky or Indiana, the last 10 years. Who’s results you want? That’s pretty much the end of story.

I used to consider myself a traditional Kentucky fan. Then Cal showed up and we started making final fours on the reg. Turns out it’s pretty rad.

Let me ask you this. Kentucky or Indiana, the last 10 years. Who’s results you want? That’s pretty much the end of story.

yes, we want your results but no one wants to be Kentucky. see the diff? everyone wants to be duke. they at least have a air of respectability, whether it's real or not. again, other schools want to win like UK but they don't want to root for the cheatingest program in the history of an already shady sport. who's got time for that, son? well, i guess kentuckians do. lol

PS this is your 4th post in 8 years and it's on an IU board. and your handle is a poison. gotcha.

But, but, but posters on this board don’t want to be UK. You guys should have won more titles! Your strategy and coach are terrible!

We have it all figured out. We make the tournament on average twice every five years and max our at the Sweet 16 but we don’t want your Final Fours!

We have some very smart people around here as you can see.

Reactions: cyanide_78
But, but, but posters on this board don’t want to be UK. You guys should have won more titles! Your strategy and coach are terrible!

We have it all figured out. We make the tournament on average twice every five years and max our at the Sweet 16 but we don’t want your Final Fours!

We have some very smart people around here as you can see.
You dislike IU's program, and admire UK's. You disparage IU fans who don't agree with you. I think you'd be much happier with your own kin in Rupp's Rafters. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

You dislike IU's program, and admire UK's. You disparage IU fans who don't agree with you. I think you'd be much happier with your own kin in Rupp's Rafters. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
No one here is more invested in IU basketball than I am. I had season tickets for over 40 years. I saw 2 of the 3 titles in person. I was very close to the admin, Bobby, and the staff. No one bleeds IU more than me. You youngsters just have no idea what we’re capable of with this new age IU. I feel bad that you just don’t know what you don’t know. It’s sad. I hope you can be a part of it one day.

Reactions: hoosier8760
No one here is more invested in IU basketball than I am. I had season tickets for over 40 years. I saw 2 of the 3 titles in person. I was very close to the admin, Bobby, and the staff. No one bleeds IU more than me. You youngsters just have no idea what we’re capable of with this new age IU. I feel bad that you just don’t know what you don’t know. It’s sad. I hope you can be a part of it one day.
Youngster? Thank you. I haven't been called a youngster in many decades. I was at IU when Bobby coached. I was there during his heyday - not the end where he couldn't get past the first round. As a freshman, I was honored to interview RMK at Assembly Hall and found him generous with his time and I appreciated his devotion to academics. Interesting how your assumptions are so often incorrect.

But as you like to say, facts are facts. You admire UK's program and constantly disparage IU's. It seem like Rupp's Rafters would welcome you with open arms and you can cheer on the program you admire. Go for it. Maybe you'll be able to become Mr. Positivity as a UK fan.

now you are in Becauseiknow territory. funny that's he's gone and you're here.

and yes, some people here are more invested in IU hoops than even the great Feepsy. that you think otherwise makes sense considering that odd world view of yours.

and we get it...you were close to bobby...you went stand up paddle boarding with him once...or he motorboated your tummy when you were a baby...something nautical like that. very impressive!

I have no idea how, a Knight dude, admires the way Cal runs his program and would want to emulate it.

It's basically everything that Knight stood against.

Oh remember last year when Bryce Drew was kicking our ass in recruiting? How is his lottery pick (Shittu) along with his all conference mention player (Lee) doing this year after he killed it like you said.

Looks like they are 0-9 in the SEC right now. How in the F is that? They have a lottery pick along with Lee and Nesmith. They should be top 25.

I have no idea how, a Knight dude, admires the way Cal runs his program and would want to emulate it.

Oh remember last year when Bryce Drew was kicking our ass in recruiting? How is his lottery pick (Shittu) along with his all conference mention player (Lee) doing this year after he killed it like you said.

Looks like they are 0-9 in the SEC right now. How in the F is that? They have a lottery pick along with Lee and Nesmith. They should be top 25.
Cal and Bobby are actually more alike than different. Both care deeply about their players and they win consistently. Different coaching styles but similar results.

And I haven’t watched one minute of Vandy. I know they lost their best player but I really don’t care how they do.

I agree he sucks with four star players

Signed
Willy cauley Stein
Devin booker
Tyler ulis
Eric bledsoe(most had him as a 4 star)
Josh Harrelson was a 2 star player cal got drafted
Darius Miller another 4 cal got drafted
He didn’t recruit the last 2 but he did coach them up to the nba

You'll be able to add Tyler Herro to that list within the next year or so, the kid's development has been mind boggling. And he's a high character kid with great parents.

And you forgot Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who's the starting PG for the Clippers in his rookie season.

Cal doesn't just get 4-star players into the NBA, he wins over 80% of his college games with them, molds them, and puts them in a position to not just exist in the NBA, but succeed in the NBA.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
We'll never know until he sits. Maybe his dad will shut him down.

Had a good offensive game tonight, kindof. Still didn't go hard and a 2 star recruit (Harper) ran over and bullied him while he half assed guarded.

And we lost again so there's that.

But I'll leave Romeo alone. Tonight was Phinesse and his ah hem passing that killed us and fueled their 22-0 run.
What about Smith, and his 30472 turnovers? You can add his terrible shot selection as well. What about our bench? Guys like Fitzner and Mcroberts who I'm not even sure they've scored a point in Big10 play. The team has quit around Romeo and Juwan (who's playing tired right now). That's the issue.

Don't blame one of the few guys on the team that actually has a high bb IQ and knows how to play basketball. Some of you that scapegoat Romeo as the issue, I find funny.

Drew is a joke. He likely wont ever get a 5 star again.

Miller’s chops as a recruiter have the Hoosiers primed to contend in the Big Ten this year and beyond. Indiana’s 2018–19 ceiling shot through the roof when five-star Romeo Langford stayed in state and committed to IU. Langfo

Lol and sad.

What about Smith, and his 30472 turnovers? You can add his terrible shot selection as well. What about our bench? Guys like Fitzner and Mcroberts who I'm not even sure they've scored a point in Big10 play. The team has quit around Romeo and Juwan (who's playing tired right now). That's the issue.

Don't blame one of the few guys on the team that actually has a high bb IQ and knows how to play basketball. Some of you that scapegoat Romeo as the issue, I find funny.

Smith's motor is a giant major concern of mine...but he gets flayed everyday on the boards for it.

Romeo has the same issues but he gets excused by everyone. The fans and I believe Archie himself which I also believe is part of the chemistry issues we're having...just like we did with Bracey.

It's very similar to the Davonte vs Rob bias. Rob has been atrocious during this losing streak. Just 9 assists in 5 games from the point guard. 7 turnovers for a bad Green TO rate. While shooting 10-40, an awful 25% from the field.

Yet many will say we need Green to slink off and die because we are better with Rob right now...which isn't true.

Ya see, I believe everyone needs to be praised and ripped equally. If you coast you should be ripped...both Romeo and Justin.

If our point guards can't initiate the offense effectively they should be ripped...both Devonte and Rob.

Romeo is on Pace to be, by a wide margin, our worst three point shooter in history with 60 attempts. He's had multiple air balls including another one last night.

But not a peep.

Justin however gets gutted on these boards and would be ridiculed if he threw up as many air balls that Romeo has this year.

Smith's motor is a giant major concern of mine...but he gets flayed everyday on the boards for it.

Romeo has the same issues but he gets excused by everyone. The fans and I believe Archie himself which I also believe is part of the chemistry issues we're having...just like we did with Bracey.

It's very similar to the Davonte vs Rob bias. Rob has been atrocious during this losing streak. Just 9 assists in 5 games from the point guard. 7 turnovers for a bad Green TO rate. While shooting 10-40, an awful 25% from the field.

Yet many will say we need Green to slink off and die because we are better with Rob right now...which isn't true.

Ya see, I believe everyone needs to be praised and ripped equally. If you coast you should be ripped...both Romeo and Justin.

If our point guards can't initiate the offense effectively they should be ripped...both Devonte and Rob.

Romeo is on Pace to be, by a wide margin, our worst three point shooter in history with 60 attempts. He's had multiple air balls including another one last night.

But not a peep.

Justin however gets gutted on these boards and would be ridiculed if he threw up as many air balls that Romeo has this year.
Think you’re spot on here.

Was curious so I just looked something up - minutes played during conference play.

Juwan averages 32.9 in Big 10 games - compared to 30.2 overall. And that 32.9 includes games where he’s been in foul trouble - otherwise, his total would be closer to 35.5, roughly 5 minutes more per game, guarding post guys and banging down low. We don’t have a healthy Deron to sub him out, and it’s taking a toll.

Same with Romeo - kid is averaging 32.2 in conf, 32.3 overall. That’s a lot of minutes on a freshman, especially one being asked to carry the load he is.

Does Archie take that into account when deciding who to rip? Idk - but I’d hate to have to make the decisions with this group given what he has available. He’s got two really good players and a bunch of young, average guys.

Frustrating to watch, but it is what it is.

Villanova or UNC because they build most of their roster with 3 and 4 year kids and win championships

I don't blame Romeo for this season playing out the way it has because he has played pretty well except for the last few games. I am very glad he chose IU but if this season does not turn around was it worth getting him over a kid who could be here for 3 or 4 years. I know talent wise Aaron henry is not as good as Romeo but he will be in college 4 years so was a freshman Romeo better for the program than a senior in Henry in 4 years.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Wow lumping cal into Pitino and Sandusky wow that’s a stretch. We respect what Pitino did at us, but when he became Benedict Arnold he lost the respect he once had. You’re really stretching with the comparisons, That are not even comparable. Sutton was fired as he should of been. Agree to disagree. I don’t come here to bicker and fight about stupid shit. I’m sorry your program isn’t doing so well lately, I’m just here to talk basketball. Most know I’m not here to gloat or talk shit. I don’t start fights nor do I troll. If you don’t like ky or cal that’s fine but to hate on me for being a uk fan is childish. Agree to disagree
Why even come over here to argue with IU fans? You think you're gonna convince them to stop hating Cal? They haven't won a title since the 80's. What else can they say besides Cal is sleezy or whatever? UK and Kansas are the only fanbases that just give credit where credit is due. The rest hate us cause they ain't us. Stop arguing with them.

Think you’re spot on here.

Was curious so I just looked something up - minutes played during conference play.

Juwan averages 32.9 in Big 10 games - compared to 30.2 overall. And that 32.9 includes games where he’s been in foul trouble - otherwise, his total would be closer to 35.5, roughly 5 minutes more per game, guarding post guys and banging down low. We don’t have a healthy Deron to sub him out, and it’s taking a toll.

Same with Romeo - kid is averaging 32.2 in conf, 32.3 overall. That’s a lot of minutes on a freshman, especially one being asked to carry the load he is.

Does Archie take that into account when deciding who to rip? Idk - but I’d hate to have to make the decisions with this group given what he has available. He’s got two really good players and a bunch of young, average guys.

Frustrating to watch, but it is what it is.

To be honest there is no way in hell even Justin would be playing as many minutes as he has, when he goes into one of his funks during the game, if we had anyone that could spell him.

Like at the beginning of of season.

This season has been nothing but a giant fist f#$k.

You bring in a recruit that as a coach you absolutely can't mess up or it will cripple you for years to come. You can't be the one that ruined Romeo.

Which means as much as you try, you coach him differently.

When you coach someone differently the rest of the team notices. Hell as a fan I got tired of everyone telling me how he was the greatest player to ever come out of the state in the past 30 years. I can't imagine the players when they are constantly asked what it's like to play with a special talent like Romeo.

Then add the adversity on top of it and now the chemistry starts to crumble instead of pulling together.

Think back to Troy, Stan, Noah and Luke F.

Think Oklahoma last year.

Think Ellis, Bassett, Crawford and Thomas right after Sampson was fired.

It's a delicate thing and if it's not managed correctly it can kill teams.

I'm starting to believe the Romeo pressure with the injury availability has led to adversity that has capsized the chemistry.

And it sucks.

And it's another reason why Calipari gets his biggest praise of coaching one and dones because his personality is even larger than the so called phenoms. As is K's. As would have been Knight.

Hell Knight would rip on his stars to make sure they knew who was in charge.

Anyway, in retrospect I beginning to think that Romeo was probably best for all parties had he gone to Kansas until we we're ready for the pressure of coaching a kid with his popularity.

Not year two.

Regardless, as TMP said, Archie gets a tough F for this season if it continues to be this dumpster fire.

I get that it's a tough spot with all the injuries along with getting nothing from your upperclassmen except Morgan (seriously our senior and junior classes are complete busts).

But you can't lose the team and I think he has.

I believe it's Romeo related in a round about way but I'm just speculating.

Villanova or UNC because they build most of their roster with 3 and 4 year kids and win championships
I didn’t ask about nova or unc (fake classes lol). I asked who’s results you’d take between uk and Indiana. Wanna try again?

To be honest there is no way in hell even Justin would be playing as many minutes as he has, when he goes into one of his funks during the game, if we had anyone that could spell him.

Like at the beginning of of season.

This season has been nothing but a giant fist f#$k.

You bring in a recruit that as a coach you absolutely can't mess up or it will cripple you for years to come. You can't be the one that ruined Romeo.

Which means as much as you try, you coach him differently.

When you coach someone differently the rest of the team notices. Hell as a fan I got tired of everyone telling me how he was the greatest player to ever come out of the state in the past 30 years. I can't imagine the players when they are constantly asked what it's like to play with a special talent like Romeo.

Then add the adversity on top of it and now the chemistry starts to crumble instead of pulling together.

Think back to Troy, Stan, Noah and Luke F.

Think Oklahoma last year.

Think Ellis, Bassett, Crawford and Thomas right after Sampson was fired.

It's a delicate thing and if it's not managed correctly it can kill teams.

I'm starting to believe the Romeo pressure with the injury availability has led to adversity that has capsized the chemistry.

And it sucks.

And it's another reason why Calipari gets his biggest praise of coaching one and dones because his personality is even larger than the so called phenoms. As is K's. As would have been Knight.

Hell Knight would rip on his stars to make sure they knew who was in charge.

Anyway, in retrospect I beginning to think that Romeo was probably best for all parties had he gone to Kansas until we we're ready for the pressure of coaching a kid with his popularity.

Not year two.

Regardless, as TMP said, Archie gets a tough F for this season if it continues to be this dumpster fire.

I get that it's a tough spot with all the injuries along with getting nothing from your upperclassmen except Morgan (seriously our senior and junior classes are complete busts).

But you can't lose the team and I think he has.

I believe it's Romeo related in a round about way but I'm just speculating.
Again, spot on.

At some point you've got to draw the line. Archie's real name is Ryan but he got the moniker by being a gruff SOB - like Archie Bunker. He's not doing himself - or romeo - any favors by not holding him accountable.

But let's be real honest here: it's a LOT easier to hold someone accountable when you have a real threat of the bench. And Miller doesn't have that. I'd have no issues with him sitting Romeo and Justin and playing Anderson and Moore instead to send a message - but you and I both know we're losing the game. Would people be OK with losing by sitting Romeo/Justin for inferior players? I truly wonder . . .

Reactions: TommyCracker
I didn’t ask about nova or unc (fake classes lol). I asked who’s results you’d take between uk and Indiana. Wanna try again?
IU because I would never want to build our program like UK or have Cal anywhere close to IU as a coach. I have said many times that I would lose every game than have Cal as the coach of IU.

Why even come over here to argue with IU fans? You think you're gonna convince them to stop hating Cal? They haven't won a title since the 80's. What else can they say besides Cal is sleezy or whatever? UK and Kansas are the only fanbases that just give credit where credit is due. The rest hate us cause they ain't us. Stop arguing with them.
Who’s arguing? I’m just talking shop

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT