ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread: Indiana vs Michigan State

They were on fire from 3. Seemed like they made every free throw. TJD couldn’t make a free throw. Offensive boards were a problem.
When he started hitting from deep it was over. When a guy is that hot it’s hard to overcome that.

Reactions: .Gerdis
And yet, we fought back to cut it to 5. I felt good at that point. But, it went right back to double digits.
I didn’t feel good about it. They were on fire still. Would get them late in the clock and couldn’t get the rebound. TJD looked tired. Not sure why as minutes shouldn’t be an excuse. He may still be hurt. Who knows. Reason I say that is no other player looked tired. That 2nd foul on JHS hurt.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Our only hope to make any noise in the tournament is for X to come back and be ready to contribute fast.

Can't win with two great players, a bunch of role players, mixed in with some truly bad players.
We only have one great player. And he's only great when he wants to be.

3 pretty mediocre performances in a row.

This team has shown they can rally and play their way out of slumps. They’ll need to do that Saturday or Purdue will blow us out.

Losing Saturday won’t be a big issue. Playing poorly again and getting blown out, that’d be a big problem at this point in the season, coming off the last 3 performances.
Last night's performance did not rise to the level of mediocrity.

Yikes! Team wasn’t ready to play. One of the more inconsistent efforts this year. Way too sloppy in so many areas and didn’t have TJD A game or anyone else to save us.

Wasn’t all a disaster, but hope we do better this weekend or it’s gonna be an absolute ass stomping.
Wasn't all a disaster? If you were on the Titanic you'd say everything was fine until we hit the berg.

The stretch where they hit circus three after circus three was astonishing.
Not astonishing at all. In fact it happened just a few days ago at home v. a player of lesser abilities. And twice v. NW. And at Rutgers. And several other times this year. When you leave a skilled shooter open for easy 3s, their confidence is going to be sky high. They're going to hit some hard shots after that.

We're #72 in DE this year nationally, with one of the top SBs in college basketball, behind MD at 39, Purdue at 32, Illinois at 17, NW at 16, and Rutgers at 4. Bad coaching, bad execution.

They looked ready to a point. Nobody in the country was beating sparty last night. Especially hitting 3s from the logo. Hard to guard that.
Nonsense. Their crowd and their team were both way down emotionally, until we let them off the mat. Plenty of other teams would not have been as nice as us.

Reactions: Crayfish57
We only have one great player. And he's only great when he wants to be.
I'm sure TJD enters some games thinking, "I want to be average today." Give me a f****** break. He's been called upon to do EVERYTHING for this team, and he's delivered.

Given that Trayce is having an All-American season, 19-9 (10-7) is not all that impressive ... even with the injuries. Obviously, your best player has to be the focal point, but he can't be nearly everything. If TJD isn't all-world, IU is in trouble.

As for other players' subpar performances, that's primarily on Woodson. Let me count the ways...

Very little is done to get Kopp, one of the B1G's best 3FG shooters, good looks. Other coaches actually find shots for their, ya know, shooters. With some screening and movement, it wouldn't be that difficult to get MK several good looks each game.​

Ditto for Bates.​

Development. I've not clamoring for guys like Banks and Gunn to get 15 minutes a night, but you're telling me they're SO unreliable that they can't spell the starters for a few minutes?​

There's (much) more, but I'll end with this: Armchair coaches and experts alike have been worried about the players' workload, especially TJD's. Well, now we know why. From my vantage point, the effort was there last night ... but the legs were not. So yeah, Woody, keep trotting him out there for 39-40 minutes every game.​

Reactions: stollcpa and T.M.P.
I'm sure TJD enters some games thinking, "I want to be average today." Give me a f****** break. He's been called upon to do EVERYTHING for this team, and he's delivered.

Given that Trayce is having an All-American season, 19-9 (10-7) is not all that impressive ... even with the injuries. Obviously, your best player has to be the focal point, but he can't be nearly everything. If TJD isn't all-world, IU is in trouble.

As for other players' subpar performances, that's primarily on Woodson. Let me count the ways...

Very little is done to get Kopp, one of the B1G's best 3FG shooters, good looks. Other coaches actually find shots for their, ya know, shooters. With some screening and movement, it wouldn't be that difficult to get MK several good looks each game.​

Ditto for Bates.​

Development. I've not clamoring for guys like Banks and Gunn to get 15 minutes a night, but you're telling me they're SO unreliable that they can't spell the starters for a few minutes?​

There's (much) more, but I'll end with this: Armchair coaches and experts alike have been worried about the players' workload, especially TJD's. Well, now we know why. From my vantage point, the effort was there last night ... but the legs were not. So yeah, Woody, keep trotting him out there for 39-40 minutes every game.​

Agree about Trayce.....he's really given a lot this year. Let's face it. You look around and JG's wondering around aimlessly, Bates is missing lay-ups and 3 footers, Race can't jump, Duncomb can't breathe, you have to say wtf at some point.

Disagree about Kopp. IMO, he's not one of the BTs best 3 point shooters if he needs 10 feet of space to get his shot off. He's never been a volume 3 point shooter (or scorer for that matter). For every 40 minutes he played at NW he averaged 5.9 attempts. Its 5.2 at IU. And he's way too soft for a game like last night. 2 rebounds in 29 minutes.....par for the course. Once I looked at his NW stats, I didn't like him for our team. Great guy, not much of a player.....and in a crucial role.

But you do wonder if Woody and his staff have screwed things up with Bates and Gunn. They both have/had potential.

Not astonishing at all. In fact it happened just a few days ago at home v. a player of lesser abilities. And twice v. NW. And at Rutgers. And several other times this year. When you leave a skilled shooter open for easy 3s, their confidence is going to be sky high. They're going to hit some hard shots after that.

We're #72 in DE this year nationally, with one of the top SBs in college basketball, behind MD at 39, Purdue at 32, Illinois at 17, NW at 16, and Rutgers at 4. Bad coaching, bad execution.
Most of these were not "easy" threes and most were contested. Several of these were circus shots.

Most of these were not "easy" threes and most were contested. Several of these were circus shots.
As a Coach, I can tell you this is incorrect. I’m watching the game right now. Most of the threes have been open and some contested but many a good distance beyond the arc.

As a coach I can tell you it is not
As a Coach, I can tell you if you think those were “contested” or “circus” shots, you have different definitions of those terms than coaches. Some were from long distance, but those were neither contested nor circus in nature, just good looks from long distance.

As a Coach, I can tell you if you think those were “contested” or “circus” shots, you have different definitions of those terms than coaches. Some were from long distance, but those were neither contested nor circus in nature, just good looks from long distance.
As a coach I can tell you to think whatever the hell makes you happy

Nonsense. Their crowd and their team were both way down emotionally, until we let them off the mat. Plenty of other teams would not have been as nice as us.
Did you read their facial expressions or are you Sigmund Fraud?

We have a crowd and team emotion expert y'all .. His ability to gauge the emotions of 1000s of people just by sitting on his ass and watching TV is uncanny ... or more likely pure bullshit.

*eyeroll*

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT