ADVERTISEMENT

Not going to be popular opinion…

Icefan

Junior
Oct 7, 2002
I watched the PSU/NW game last night and thought both of those teams are better than us, AND more exciting. Their offenses were faster, and less predictable. I know this will seem like sacrilege, but I think our offense is defined by TJD’s weaknesses. In order to have any success at all, we must play through him (understandable), but because of that we can’t have the free/flowing offenses of these other teams. I think Woodson wants to employ a more wide open, 5-out, type of game but can’t right now. I know it’s been popular to say “when he gets ‘his’ players things will be different, and I agree. When I watch us, even in the PU game, it was quite easy to predict what we were going to do. I’m looking forward to a new approach next year.
Alright, slam away!

I watched the PSU/NW game last night and thought both of those teams are better than us, AND more exciting. Their offenses were faster, and less predictable. I know this will seem like sacrilege, but I think our offense is defined by TJD’s weaknesses. In order to have any success at all, we must play through him (understandable), but because of that we can’t have the free/flowing offenses of these other teams. I think Woodson wants to employ a more wide open, 5-out, type of game but can’t right now. I know it’s been popular to say “when he gets ‘his’ players things will be different, and I agree. When I watch us, even in the PU game, it was quite easy to predict what we were going to do. I’m looking forward to a new approach next year.
Alright, slam away!
On certain nights no question they are better. You never know what IU team will show up is the issue. IU could make the sweet sixeteen or they could lose by 20 is the first round.

Alright, slam away!
False argument. We don't HAVE to play slow, predictable, post ISO through TJD offensively. In fact, we've changed it up more this year and been more varied, even in where and how we use TJD. That has paid big dividends, at times.

But I do agree with you...coming down the stretch last night, and in overtime, both those teams were very fun to watch, and were defending AND running offense, at a very high level. We'd have struggled to beat either of them last night, even if we had played well.

Reactions: UnkaUwe
As long as we don’t dump to right block and watch…. Our offense can be pretty good. But we go through stretches where we seem to run that 3-4 times in a row and things just stagnate. When you have a game like Illinois #1 when their defense never adjusted and TJD scored at will then no reason to change. But teams have learned that adjusting doubles/etc.. can make TJD less effective and that’s when we need to change our approach quickly

I think our offense is defined by TJD’s weaknesses. In order to have any success at all, we must play through him (understandable), but because of that we can’t have the free/flowing offenses of these other teams.
I think it really boils down to the weakness and inconsistency of the other player more than TJD.

Nobody respects IU's 3pt shooting and guard scoring. When they have good games, IU wins. But, more times than not they have games like they did vs. Iowa... 2 for 11 from 3 and a collective 23 points from 5 wing players shooting 9 for 30.

I mean seriously, what is free flowing about 18% on 3s and 30% overall???

Reactions: BB Hoosier
Alright, slam away!

How good would they be without Buie or Pickett?

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
Alright, slam away!
Maybe you can predict what IU is doing because you've watched them for every game and are very familiar with them? Less so than the other two teams.

Or quite possibly you may be one of those people who think the grass is always greener in the yard full of dogshit?

Or it's also possible you are suffering from overly biased shit colored perception syndrome induced by the butthurt of getting ran by Iowa?

Hmmm ..

On certain nights no question they are better. You never know what IU team will show up is the issue. IU could make the sweet sixeteen or they could lose by 20 is the first round.
I agree, who shows up? Good IU or bad?
I do not see us putting anymore than two goods in a row.

Alright, slam away!
Your play of game is dictated by your strengths...
He'll have to get real players in the portal to spread the floor .And play even more of NBA game.
I'm all for it..But it's a wait and see who's leaving ? Who's staying ? And who is interested in coming..

Reactions: Spartans9312
Your play of game is dictated by your strengths...
He'll have to get real players in the portal to spread the floor .And play even more of NBA game.
I'm all for it..But it's a wait and see who's leaving ? Who's staying ? And who is interested in coming..
Yes, I’m all for it too.

Alright, slam away!
Your statements don’t align with Woody’s recruiting. We lose an entire starting lineup and entire front court and we don’t have any coming in. Looks like he going for some free agent rentals

Alright, slam away!
You speak of TJD's weaknesses. Two of those are, lack of an outside shot, and no real use of his right hand. Defenders know he is not going to shoot from beyond 6ft, and he almost always goes his right to shoot with his left hand. His shot selection is either a layup or jump hook from inside 6ft. I thought that was one reason he didn't go pro, because they told he he needed to add those skills to his repertoire. Obviously, he hasn't done that. When he moves out, they know he's just looking to pass off, or, possibly try to drive to the basket. Either way, they just sit back and wait for him to drive, and/or to defend the inside pass or another driver. Another weakness is lack of determination to rebound every missed shop, on both ends. But that's a weakness of the whole team.

Alright, slam away!
The game at Purdue says hold my beer.

You speak of TJD's weaknesses. Two of those are, lack of an outside shot, and no real use of his right hand. Defenders know he is not going to shoot from beyond 6ft, and he almost always goes his right to shoot with his left hand. His shot selection is either a layup or jump hook from inside 6ft. I thought that was one reason he didn't go pro, because they told he he needed to add those skills to his repertoire. Obviously, he hasn't done that. When he moves out, they know he's just looking to pass off, or, possibly try to drive to the basket. Either way, they just sit back and wait for him to drive, and/or to defend the inside pass or another driver. Another weakness is lack of determination to rebound every missed shop, on both ends. But that's a weakness of the whole team.
Why does he need to do that? He shoots 57% now from 5 feet in, gets 6+ FT attempts per game, and it allows him to stay close to the basket to rebound his own misses. Pulling him away would cause him to shoot a lower %, draw less fouls, and get less put backs.

And your solution to an 11/gm rebounder, who is usually doubled, is to pull him away from the basket so he can shoot a lower percentage, and increase his chances for fouls. Mmmm....ok.

I apologize if I am off topic, but weren't we supposed to have a more talented and deep bench this year, compared to the last few seasons? Again, I have not dug into the digits, but don't we have one of the shortest benches in the B1G? Where is the player development? It's probably unfair to criticize Kaleb Banks and CJ Gunn, but have they been given the opportunity? I admit that I am only now watching the entire B1G as we approach March Madness, and acknowledge the great contribution that JHS has provided, but Malik doesn't appear to have "developed" during the year, nor Banks or Gunn. It seems every other B1G team I watch, there are multiple freshman making significant contributions. Am I wrong? What about Bates? Geronimo? Leal?

Malik still fouls too much but has improved and contributed on offense IMO.

That is true of any BIG team

I apologize if I am off topic, but weren't we supposed to have a more talented and deep bench this year, compared to the last few seasons? Again, I have not dug into the digits, but don't we have one of the shortest benches in the B1G? Where is the player development? It's probably unfair to criticize Kaleb Banks and CJ Gunn, but have they been given the opportunity? I admit that I am only now watching the entire B1G as we approach March Madness, and acknowledge the great contribution that JHS has provided, but Malik doesn't appear to have "developed" during the year, nor Banks or Gunn. It seems every other B1G team I watch, there are multiple freshman making significant contributions. Am I wrong? What about Bates? Geronimo? Leal?
Yes, you are missing some obvious player development. 3pt shooting has gotten better for several guys, better free throw shooting. Better passing and awareness by Trayce. JHS has gotten better through the season. Gallo, Kopp, TJD are all a lot better. Geronimo is better in some areas. Bates' ball defense is better.

Alright, slam away!
I've been saying this for like 2 years now, and if you think about it, it completely explains the inconsistencies.

Alright, slam away!
I think you are correct about our offense.
It's sad that honest posts like this are so often accompanied by derision.

Maybe you can predict what IU is doing because you've watched them for every game and are very familiar with them? Less so than the other two teams.

Or quite possibly you may be one of those people who think the grass is always greener in the yard full of dogshit?

Or it's also possible you are suffering from overly biased shit colored perception syndrome induced by the butthurt of getting ran by Iowa?

Hmmm ..
No more steroids for you. Seek an alternate alternative.

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT