ADVERTISEMENT

Nike polling results are in

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
https://morningconsult.com/form/nike-kaepernick-report/

Real-time brand tracking data reveals a sharp drop in favorability and purchasing consideration, including among key demographic groups

Fave-1.png

Christian-Bale-Laughing-at-Awards-Show.gif

giphy.gif

It’s a broken record. Now Kavanaugh is racist...it is their go to slam which has lost its effect already. It’s what losers have left....name calling.

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
It’s what these idiots do and later today he will deny calling anyone a racists. I think a post like his should get you a vacation from here.

Meh. It's Hoops. He's got a massive hard on for Jaime. These two of feuded for years and have gotten much more personal than that.

The post isn't racist, the gifs are stupid, but you know you can't win them all.

I think the long run is going to be more important to watch. Their stock has been up every day this week, after the first day. The ad is fabulous. I imagine they are thinking in the long term, and their base and demographics. My guess is they did extensive studies on this and knew exactly what they’d be getting into. I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t work out well for them.

My guess is they did extensive studies on this and knew exactly what they’d be getting into. I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t work out well for them.

I think you are right and that is not good for us in the long term. Nike is just being mercenary with and exploiting the cop and black oppression issue. CK is a role model for conspicuous protests, not s role model for behavioral or social change. I think all of us would be better if Nike celebrated athletes who are nominated for and win the Roberto Clemente award.

Reactions: stollcpa
I think you are right and that is not good for us in the long term. Nike is just being mercenary with and exploiting the cop and black oppression issue. CK is a role model for conspicuous protests, not s role model for behavioral or social change. I think all of us would be better if Nike celebrated athletes who are nominated for and win the Roberto Clemente award.
You must not have seen the ad yet and some of the athletes they celebrate. And of course it’s a business decision. Should we expect anything else?

Reactions: baileyiu
I think the long run is going to be more important to watch. Their stock has been up every day this week, after the first day. The ad is fabulous. I imagine they are thinking in the long term, and their base and demographics. My guess is they did extensive studies on this and knew exactly what they’d be getting into. I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t work out well for them.
It would be shocking if they didn’t think this will boost sales in the long run.

I would hope they’re not just virtue signaling, especially when one considers their less than savory overseas employment record. Because it makes them look pretty dumb.

It would be shocking if they didn’t think this will boost sales in the long run.

I would hope they’re not just virtue signaling, especially when one considers their less than savory overseas employment record. Because it makes them look pretty dumb.

If they it came out that they were virtue signaling at the expense of shareholders, they would be sued six ways from Sunday. They conducted research, even if it ends up being wrong/flawed.

The emporer with no clothes is being joined by his throngs with no thongs.

You must not have seen the ad yet and some of the athletes they celebrate. And of course it’s a business decision. Should we expect anything else?
This entire thread reads like no one actually watched the ad. The comments being made only make sense in some alternative universe in which the ad campaign is something other than it is. People are both praising and condemning a company for celebrating Colin Kaepernick, even though that's not even remotely close to what Nike is actually doing in this ad campaign.

It was a strong spot. Market analytics showed it resonated across all demographics. The most genius part of it, however, is probably how Nike announced and rolled out their contract with Kap. This ad campaign could have been narrated by anyone. It has nothing to do with Kap. But by announcing the deal a few days before the ad debuted, Nike ensured people would be talking about it, and when they were watching the game, and the ad came on, and viewers realized what they were watching, they sat still and paid attention.

Today, Smart People are still talking about Nike going political, because they decided that was the narrative at the outset, and Smart People never change the narrative. But Nike didn't go political. They went inspirational. This ad campaign is only political to people who are incapable of separating Kap from politics, which is their flaw, not his. Nike simply manipulated this flaw to make sure people were paying attention when the campaign debuted.

Heah ya go . . . I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

https://help-us.nikeinc.com/app/forms/patent

I agree. If they didn't understand marketing they wouldn't be so damn big.

It's all about image. If old white people don't wear their stuff, that makes it all the more attractive to everyone else. I suspect that when all the smoke clears this will go down in history as a brilliant piece of market differentiation.

He's not bright enough to grasp the irony.
Everybody's waaaay too out in front of this thing by pointing at short-term results . . . those are just snapshots. Heck, zeke in this thread said "let's see what the long-term holds" and then cited online sales being up 31% overnight . . . make up your mind.

Let's look at Nike's results 6 months, 12 months and 2 years from now, including which new endorsement deals they get with high level professional athletes. This may be nothing more than protecting their access to future endorsers by signaling that Nike will have their backs . . .

. . . and I suspect they have studied this to see what short-term, medium-term and long-term effects the Kaepernick ads will have on their sales. No matter what you think about the politics behind the Kaepernick ad, Nike has very smart business management. Laugh at your peril . . . .

I agree. If they didn't understand marketing they wouldn't be so damn big.

It's all about image. If old white people don't wear their stuff, that makes it all the more attractive to everyone else. I suspect that when all the smoke clears this will go down in history as a brilliant piece of market differentiation.
I'm an old white dude. Nike doesn't make stuff to fit me . . . when I've tried on their stuff all the style stitching sticks out at odd angles and looks funny . . . and I don't need to look any funnier than I already do.

They also don't make shoes wide enough for my feet.

My lack of Nike gear has nothing to do with politics, and neither does my ownership of of at least 4 pairs of New Balance shoes. It's pure, misplaced vanity and comfort - not necessarily in that order.

I'm an old white dude. Nike doesn't make stuff to fit me . . . when I've tried on their stuff all the style stitching sticks out at odd angles and looks funny . . . and I don't need to look any funnier than I already do.

They also don't make shoes wide enough for my feet.

My lack of Nike gear has nothing to do with politics, and neither does my ownership of of at least 4 pairs of New Balance shoes. It's pure, misplaced vanity and comfort - not necessarily in that order.
I just finished running in my New Balance running shoes and my Nike running socks. Nike has some very good running socks, but I don’t believe I currently own any other Nike stuff. The NB shoes are perfect for me for running outside or on the treadmill. No need to switch.

I just finished running in my New Balance running shoes and my Nike running socks. Nike has some very good running socks, but I don’t believe I currently own any other Nike stuff. The NB shoes are perfect for me for running outside or on the treadmill. No need to switch.
I have 2 pairs of NB M1080s. I like them because (a) I can get them wide enough that they fit, (b) they're neutral between pronation and supination, (c) they have a wide toe box, and (d) they have a short drop of 8 mm.

What are you running in?

I have 2 pairs of NB M1080s. I like them because (a) I can get them wide enough that they fit, (b) they're neutral between pronation and supination, (c) they have a wide toe box, and (d) they have a short drop of 8 mm.

What are you running in?
460v2. They stopped making the model I used for about 15 years, and this is second model I’ve tried since. They work well and they cost a lot less than the ones I used to use. Got a win win out of them. :)

Reactions: Sope Creek
This entire thread reads like no one actually watched the ad. The comments being made only make sense in some alternative universe in which the ad campaign is something other than it is. People are both praising and condemning a company for celebrating Colin Kaepernick, even though that's not even remotely close to what Nike is actually doing in this ad campaign.

It was a strong spot. Market analytics showed it resonated across all demographics. The most genius part of it, however, is probably how Nike announced and rolled out their contract with Kap. This ad campaign could have been narrated by anyone. It has nothing to do with Kap. But by announcing the deal a few days before the ad debuted, Nike ensured people would be talking about it, and when they were watching the game, and the ad came on, and viewers realized what they were watching, they sat still and paid attention.

Today, Smart People are still talking about Nike going political, because they decided that was the narrative at the outset, and Smart People never change the narrative. But Nike didn't go political. They went inspirational. This ad campaign is only political to people who are incapable of separating Kap from politics, which is their flaw, not his. Nike simply manipulated this flaw to make sure people were paying attention when the campaign debuted.
They also timed it with the start of the NFL season, in addition to everything you said.

Besides, MAGA alongside swoosh looks absolutely ugly, just like Trump. Thank God Trumplettes are burning, just like Trump'll be burning in hell one day soon.

https://morningconsult.com/form/nike-kaepernick-report/

Real-time brand tracking data reveals a sharp drop in favorability and purchasing consideration, including among key demographic groups

Fave-1.png

Christian-Bale-Laughing-at-Awards-Show.gif

giphy.gif
Article today reports Nike on-line sales have spiked 31% since Sunday. I don’t really give a rats ass about the bogus controversy the coward in chief started ...anthem before every sporting event is stupid and I don’t wear much Nike to begin with, but this won’t hurt them one bit, and it shouldn’t. Maybe the orange menace can bring treason charges?

Reactions: DrHoops

I agree, it is a good ad. Featuring CK seems like a forced contrivance. He had a mediocre NFL career and his statement about believing in something and sacrificing everything seems inapposite of the sentiment of the ad. CK is exploiting a stunt and Nike his exploiting CK. If there is a lesson here, it's that the Nike marketing gurus believe they can sell shoes with simple-minded divisive demonstrations about serious matters. Well, they know their youthful target audience.

I have a real problem with the skateboarder segment. I hope those were professional adult stuntmen. If they were underage kids, the producers have a legal problem if anybody cares.

I agree, it is a good ad. Featuring CK seems like a forced contrivance. He had a mediocre NFL career and his statement about believing in something and sacrificing everything seems inapposite of the sentiment of the ad. CK is exploiting a stunt and Nike his exploiting CK. If there is a lesson here, it's that the Nike marketing gurus believe they can sell shoes with simple-minded divisive demonstrations about serious matters. Well, they know their youthful target audience.

I have a real problem with the skateboarder segment. I hope those were professional adult stuntmen. If they were underage kids, the producers have a legal problem if anybody cares.
The ad was clearly meant to be divisive. What’s next, George Zimmerman in a car commercial?

Regardless of the merits of the division, my point was that Nike knew there would be division when they put Kap in the ad.
You dispute this?
No, in fact I already explained why it was brilliant. They made sure everyone was talking about the campaign in the days leading up to its launch, and then when it finally debuted, it was an immediate success. The only people still bothered by it are people who are simply incapable of not being viscerally hateful toward Kap, for whatever reasons.

No, in fact I already explained why it was brilliant. They made sure everyone was talking about the campaign in the days leading up to its launch, and then when it finally debuted, it was an immediate success. The only people still bothered by it are people who are simply incapable of not being viscerally hateful toward Kap, for whatever reasons.
None of this disputes my point that Nike knew there would be division.

None of this disputes my point that Nike knew there would be division.
Your shift in terminology from "the ad was meant to be divisive" to "Nike knew there would be division" is important. There was nothing divisive about the ad. It was an uplifting, inspirational spot. Obviously, because Nike isn't run by stupid people, they knew that there would be controversy going into it, which would attract eyeballs. But normal people who saw that ad should be capable of realizing that there is no good reason to criticize the ad itself, or Kap's role in it. If the ad bothers you (generic "you" here, not "you" specifically), then there is something wrong with you, not Nike.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT