ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

DHoosier

Senior
May 22, 2002
Morgan goes pro and we won’t win with a bunch of Freshmen. At least 2 years before we become good again. This season isn’t on Miller, it’s on the players. I’m still behind Archie.

Reactions: bigmac76
I cant see Morgan leaving. He would be a middle 2nd round draft pick at best. The last 4 games he has just looked tired and wasnt playing the same as he was earlier in the year. I know next season we will be young and rebuilding again but man Im tired of not at least making the tournament. Seasons like this are getting old and I know its not Archies fault.

Morgan might test the waters and get some great input from the NBA, about what he needs to improve on. Free throws, outside shot, are the two biggest area's of improvement I see.

People have to get a grip.. Name one team in the big who would lose their top three underclassmen to the pros and be great? Archie is doing a very good job. To finish sixth in the big for the season was beyond what was expected. We have a good class coming in next year. Even Knight said he was a good hire and it wouldn't be a one year turn around..

Reactions: papawboog
Morgan goes pro and we won’t win with a bunch of Freshmen. At least 2 years before we become good again. This season isn’t on Miller, it’s on the players. I’m still behind Archie.
Morgan would be making a big mistake going pro because he's not ready. Another season with Archie and even half as much improvement as this year and Morgan will be ready.

Reactions: IUgradman
People have to get a grip.. Name one team in the big who would lose their top three underclassmen to the pros and be great? Archie is doing a very good job. To finish sixth in the big for the season was beyond what was expected. We have a good class coming in next year. Even Knight said he was a good hire and it wouldn't be a one year turn around..
With IU fans like some here who needs Purdue fans? ;)

JM could bolt, but the NBA seems like a reach right now. What position can he play at that level? He's not a guard. Hard to see him at SF unless he really boosts his ball handling and shooting. PF is out of the question. Go test the waters and then come back for a strong Sr. season.

The BIG was very bad. Did I mention that the BIG is very bad this year?

The BIG was very bad. Did I mention that the BIG is very bad this year?
I hear ya but name one play maker IU have that could consistently break down a defense? IU played without anybody over 6'8" through most of the big ten season. Plus installing a new system.. Holtman was blessed with some good talent and size. Miller wasn't.

Morgan goes pro at what? Basketball? No way.

I'd be more concerned with a graduate transfer. The freshman will help. Deron returning will help. Hopefully Moore and Race Thompson will help. We were playing a one legged former Small Forward in the post in the second half yesterday.

Things will be better. This year was crazy. Some really really good and some really really awful. Overall I like Archie but I don't think that him winning big is any sort of guarantee.

Last edited:
That would be the worst case, but not what I expect. Morgan will test the NBA and return. I can see Morgan, Smith and hopefully Davis being a pretty good front line. I expect another guard recruit and a juco transfer (Vincennes) or graduate transfer to add experience and depth at the guard spot. I prefer a proven grad transfer, but I'll take the best player available.

We will have a lot of questions next year with a lot of new players, but what senior will we be missing next year? This may be the most disappointing class to exhaust their eligibility I can ever remember. We need one or two of the new players to play well. I'm really happier relying on players that we have never seen than the seniors we knew.

Except for the box checked Final 4, Archie has checked all the boxes this year, IMO, for getting this team turned around. The culture has changed and will be there through the off season and from day 1 next year. Without Deron as an anchor in the middle, IMO, this team overachieved. To bad Archie didn't have Freddie Mac for 2 years.

Going into next year, Morgan will be established as one of the best players in the league. Deron will be back and Smith looks like a player. That's a nice starting frontcourt with a lot depth coming to the group with the incoming Frosh. inconso

My biggest concern next year will be the youth of the guards and the depth at the those positions. If they get the VU kid and romeo a lot of those concerns go away. If they add the PG from Vincennes this will help Archie address backcourt depth. Has anyone seen him play? I hope he can contribute because they need to get Green playing off the ball as a scorer especially if Romeo doesn't come. This year's senior guards produced inconsistent play which was really frustrating. So can it be really much worse even if romeo doesn't come. Durham looked like the best guard last night. IMO, he has a really good feel for the game and a nice skillset to work with. Add some strength and he will be much better finishing those drives to the basket. Get consistent hitting from the arc and he won't be easy to guard.

What's the Vincennes kids' name?

Just looked up VU's statistics the past 2 years and Tisdale is 26 of 126 on 3's for 20% in conference play in his career. This season he's 9 of 56 on 3's for 16% in conference play.

In all games he's hit 65 of 227 3's for 28%

Just looked up VU's statistics the past 2 years and Tisdale is 26 of 126 on 3's for 20% in conference play in his career. This season he's 9 of 56 on 3's for 16% in conference play.

In all games he's hit 65 of 227 3's for 28%

I watched a few short clips and would be shocked if he was someone Archie liked.

Reactions: ericrossiu
... but what senior will we be missing next year?

That's the million dollar question.

The optimist would say that we won't be missing any of our departing Seniors.
The pessimist might worry that we will sorely miss a lot of the things that Johnson did for us this year. I know that it was pretty trendy to lay a lot of blame on his shoulders, but he did a lot of things beyond just shooting the basketball (defense, rebounding), and there was a reason that he was playing 35 or so MPG.

Hopefully our guard play will be improved next season, but I think there is a possibility that we will be looking back on this years SR's and realizing that they were better than we gave them credit for.

I am not in any way implying that Archie isn't a good coach, or won't succeed at IU.

However, he absolutely deserves some responsibility for this season. There were multiple games this year we lost to teams with less talent. I understand that there's a shift with a new coach.

Without a doubt we had more talent than Indiana State, Ft. Wayne, and Rutger. I think we had enough talent to say that @Wisconsin and @Illinois should have been wins. The only win over a more talented team was Notre Dame.

9-9 in a very bad BIG isn't good enough.

I do think we will improve quickly, but I think year 1 with Archie was a bit of a disappointment.

The big ten was awful and we beat none of the top teams.

I am not in any way implying that Archie isn't a good coach, or won't succeed at IU.

However, he absolutely deserves some responsibility for this season. There were multiple games this year we lost to teams with less talent. I understand that there's a shift with a new coach.

Without a doubt we had more talent than Indiana State, Ft. Wayne, and Rutger. I think we had enough talent to say that @Wisconsin and @Illinois should have been wins. The only win over a more talented team was Notre Dame.

I do think we will improve quickly, but I think year 1 with Archie was a bit of a disappointment.
I agree. I expected more out of his first season.

That's the million dollar question.

The optimist would say that we won't be missing any of our departing Seniors.
The pessimist might worry that we will sorely miss a lot of the things that Johnson did for us this year. I know that it was pretty trendy to lay a lot of blame on his shoulders, but he did a lot of things beyond just shooting the basketball (defense, rebounding), and there was a reason that he was playing 35 or so MPG.

Hopefully our guard play will be improved next season, but I think there is a possibility that we will be looking back on this years SR's and realizing that they were better than we gave them credit for.
It is hard to imagine we would miss any of them. There were some good games mixed in with some really bad games.

1. Priller, of course was a complete waste of a scholarship.His situation was worse than the other Crean mistakes because he wasted 4 years.
2. Hartman never matched the level of his earlier years.
3. Newkirk had maybe 5 good games in his two years and some really costly turnovers and bad games.
4. McSwain had a better year and rebounded well for the time he played. If he had another 2 years, he might have become a valuable bench player on a better team.
5. Rojo has too much movement in his shot to ever be consistent with it. He could catch the ball on a stationary jump shot and land anywhere within a 4' diameter circle. His career was marked with injuries and shooting slumps. I actually think the games he shot well might have been the exception rather the rule. He was a good 3rd guard when you already had a good PG and SG .

Did we really have less talent? I would have taken anyone's back court in place of ours. It was hard to determine if our lack of length in the front court caused us to be weak offensively or if it was more of a talent deficit. I doubt Hartman, Freddie, and McBob kept coaches up worrying how they would defend them In the B1G, only Morgan was a real threat.

Only when we get a better roster will some appreciate how bad this team really was.

It was also the top 3 players off of a team that went 18-16. I saw great improvement, but the lack of leadership and toughness was still there til the bitter end. Those things can be brought out, improved or covered with smoke and mirrors by a coach, but not taught. End the end, the team was what it was "flawed."

On another note, for the first time in a really long time, I liked what a saw from the Indiana staff. Coach Miller held players accountable as much as allowed. The expectation to "compete your nuts off," was there. In-game coaching and adjustments where there. For the first time, IMHO It's headed in the right direction for what is expected of Indiana basketball, and that is to win every f'ing game.

Reactions: MrBing
Four teams in the top 14 is bad? Maybe top-heavy is a better term.

It's yet to be seen if it was "top-heavy" or "bad." I mean, 4 teams padding wins against 10 other teams get you into the top 14 of rankings. What was the B1G's record against Top 50 OOC opponents? What was the record in the ACC/B1G Challenge?

I’m at the big ten tournament now and have watched all the games played so far. I would rate our team talent about 9th, with Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois and Northwestern behind us and that’s being very optimist.
Let’s face it, Miller needs time to upgrade the roster and install his system. 4 years I’m guessing till he has it clicking on all cylinders, hopefully NCAA tourney in 2 years

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Morgan will be back. No chance he gets drafted. He is not on any top 100 list. I guess he could go play in the D - League and buy his own shoes and call himself a pro and play in Des Moines or Birmingham. But doubtful. He will come back with a better roster and try to win player of the year and will have a shot - but I hope Romeo comes in and wins player of the year.

I’m at the big ten tournament now and have watched all the games played so far. I would rate our team talent about 9th, with Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois and Northwestern behind us and that’s being very optimist.
Let’s face it, Miller needs time to upgrade the roster and install his system. 4 years I’m guessing till he has it clicking on all cylinders, hopefully NCAA tourney in 2 years

That’s too long. NCAA or bust next year.

Juwan Morgan played most of this year like Daryl Thomas did in ‘87. Daryl was a 6’8” post player on a NC team. Couldn’t make the show. Morgan is the same.
As for talent, we have been looking at this team through crimson colored glasses. Can’t remember a poorer shooting team, both from the floor and free throw line. No 3-point shooting.
Nobody could handle the rock, really poor decision-making, inconsistent effort and results on defense.
Let’s face it - we have overrated these players. DeRon Davis? Really? Nice kid, but...
Until we get some real talent, we should expect similar results.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT