ADVERTISEMENT

Next QB?

They’ll bring in at least one more. Pracrice alone dictates that you have more guys, and that’s before anyone gets hurt.
One more freshman won't help.

One more transfer no one wants will just take much needed reps away.

It is what it is.

Best case scenario a veteran QB with starting experience enters the portal after spring practice and transfers to IU right before camp, wins the job and starts day 1.

Reactions: CC Mac
I can just tell you factually, at this moment, there is no plan to add to the QB room. Could things change after spring practice ? Sure, underperformance and/or injuries “could“ certainly change the thinking.
yeah, I don't see things changing from now to then. Nobody worth a darn is going to be available at that time and they will be too far behind in order to help the team. We have a youth movement at the qb spot and I'm excited to see how it plays out. We have a handful of talented young qbs. Hopefully they don't try to throw with them 40 plus times per game.

yeah, I don't see things changing from now to then. Nobody worth a darn is going to be available at that time and they will be too far behind in order to help the team. We have a youth movement at the qb spot and I'm excited to see how it plays out. We have a handful of talented young qbs. Hopefully they don't try to throw with them 40 plus times per game.
yeah lets let the young guys fight it out. i think we have some talent there. may the best man win.

Reactions: midwolfe
I can just tell you factually, at this moment, there is no plan to add to the QB room. Could things change after spring practice ? Sure, underperformance and/or injuries “could“ certainly change the thinking.
Allen confirmed this in the presser posted this morning…no more QBs.

Reactions: vesuvius13
One more freshman won't help.

One more transfer no one wants will just take much needed reps away.

It is what it is.

Best case scenario a veteran QB with starting experience enters the portal after spring practice and transfers to IU right before camp, wins the job and starts day 1.
They want a veteran with playing experience. They aren’t done. As I said, practice / prep needs alone require at least one more quarterback, and that’s before the injuries that ALWAYS occur.

They want a veteran with playing experience. They aren’t done. As I said, practice / prep needs alone require at least one more quarterback, and that’s before the injuries that ALWAYS occur.
They do need one for scout team for camp. One good enough to challenge the defense some.

But it's too late to get a quality QB for Spring.

They do need one for scout team for camp. One good enough to challenge the defense some.

But it's too late to get a quality QB for Spring.
The scout guy doesn’t really even get much into the weekly O game planning, since their role is to prep the D by mimicking the opposing O. We always travel with at least three game ready quarterback, at minimum, and that would be tested if we don’t get anyone else (assuming DW can’t go). After that, it’s a matter of experience and ability, and we would be well behind the curve on both of those criteria if we start the season with just the current group of QBs. Hope not being able to get someone for Spring doesn’t come back to haunt us.

The scout guy doesn’t really even get much into the weekly O game planning, since their role is to prep the D by mimicking the opposing O. We always travel with at least three game ready quarterback, at minimum, and that would be tested if we don’t get anyone else (assuming DW can’t go). After that, it’s a matter of experience and ability, and we would be well behind the curve on both of those criteria if we start the season with just the current group of QBs. Hope not being able to get someone for Spring doesn’t come back to haunt us.
It's all about Bell, his system, and player development. If he doesn't set up the QB for success then it doesn't matter who is on the roster.

Last spring we had two 4-star veteran QBs with extended game experience. How did that turn out? Where are they now?

Staying with the QB room the way it is all season is too big a gamble to me. The QB injuries, in most cases have been noncontact injuries and with a new OL coach that is much better thinking the OL will be better doesn't eliminate the noncontact injuries. I would feel much better if IU were investigating their field and shoes to see what role they play in those injuries. I would hope the S&C staff is looking at the workouts to see if there is a physical problem that is causing the problems which can be fixed.

It's all about Bell, his system, and player development. If he doesn't set up the QB for success then it doesn't matter who is on the roster.

Last spring we had two 4-star veteran QBs with extended game experience. How did that turn out? Where are they now?
They may have been four star high schoolers, but they obviously weren’t able to compete effectively at the P5 level. There’s a reason both transferred out of their original schools, and it wasn’t because they were “4 star veterans”. Neither Tuttle nor Bazelak were going to thrive in Bell’s offense, and both showed why. One was already here, but we went after the other, even though he was a poor fit. It will always be a head scratcher.

They may have been four star high schoolers, but they obviously weren’t able to compete effectively at the P5 level. There’s a reason both transferred out of their original schools, and it wasn’t because they were “4 star veterans”. Neither Tuttle nor Bazelak were going to thrive in Bell’s offense, and both showed why. One was already here, but we went after the other, even though he was a poor fit. It will always be a head scratcher.
Well maybe the OC should install an offense that actually fits his personnel instead of forcing his QBs to do things they can't.

Otherwise it will be the same thing with Tayven, a 4 star high schooler who transfered out of his previous school.

Tuttle hasn't thrived in any college offense period. And he has been in quite a few.

Reactions: boston jamie
Well maybe the OC should install an offense that actually fits his personnel instead of forcing his QBs to do things they can't.

Otherwise it will be the same thing with Tayven, a 4 star high schooler who transfered out of his previous school.
Or maybe we should’ve hired an OC who fit the capabilities of our players. We tried to go off roading in a mini van and keep wondering why it didn’t work out so well. It was yet another head scratching hire by Coach Allen.

Reactions: bang63 and midwolfe
Tuttle hasn't thrived in any college offense period. And he has been in quite a few.
Well 2 years with Sheridan and 1 with Debord doesn't exactly scream "QUARTERBACK DEVELOPMENT"

I wonder what Michigan saw in him. Must be something there.

Exactly. We knew what he was when he left Utah halfway through his frosh year, having been passed on the depth chart by a walk on. Bit CB was also a known quantity, yet we went after him and asked him to run an offense for which he was ill-suited. It never made sense.

Well 2 years with Sheridan and 1 with Debord doesn't exactly scream "QUARTERBACK DEVELOPMENT"

I wonder what Michigan saw in him. Must be something there.
They saw a guy who help get their young, much more accomplished guys ready while not clamoring for playing time.

If we need another QB, Sam West played QB for Greensburg HS the last 2 seasons. He is projected to be a TE but he had decent numbers for his 2 seasons at QB, iirc. Not saying he will get moved there but it is nice to have a versatile guy like that on your roster.
I still cannot believe we weren't able to utilize DM with some Wildcat in the Purdue game. I know he wants to be a WR but it is a shame he couldn't fill in and help the team out in an emergency situation. It was very clear Bazelak was not going to win that game for us. Our mobile QB was giving Purdue lots of trouble in the first half.
I know.... if if's and buts were candy and nuts.. oh what a Christmas it would be! LOL

Reactions: DANC
Tuttle did well on IU drives but got injured by the OL. He did do a good job while beating Wisconsin and the bowl game until separating his shoulder, Sheridan was bad OC throwing passes in the second half with a QB with a bad passing shoulder when the running game was gaining yards and getting away from the running game.

I am more confused about stopping at 3 healthy QBs. I can see needing a QB now but seems like we needed to add more than 1 so could have done both now and later.
It looks like they will wait until Spring practice will be over to know if they need to go for a QB better or a QB that will be a backup. Waiting isn't bad since they don't know exactly what they have right now. Both Jackson and Lowry are unknown to play B1G. I hope coach Bell is a better evaluator than last season on QBs.

It looks like they will wait until Spring practice will be over to know if they need to go for a QB better or a QB that will be a backup. Waiting isn't bad since they don't know exactly what they have right now. Both Jackson and Lowry are unknown to play B1G. I hope coach Bell is a better evaluator than last season on QBs.
The QB situation is scary and could derail any chance we have of a decent season. I hope Jackson will be better by the end of spring practice than I expect him to be. I like him for the long-term, but there's no reason to believe he's ready now. Like IUCX9, I hope for a post spring break transfer; otherwise that OSU game could be brutal.

One thing about OSU being our first game......that will get everyone's attention in the spring and summer.

I am more confused about stopping at 3 healthy QBs. I can see needing a QB now but seems like we needed to add more than 1 so could have done both now and later.

We can want to bring in another one, which we absolutely did, but we then need another player that A) fits the criteria that we want in another qb to want to come here and B) get that player to want to come here.

When we got Jackson, it made B much more difficult. We'll see how attractive we are after the spring.

We can want to bring in another one, which we absolutely did, but we then need another player that A) fits the criteria that we want in another qb to want to come here and B) get that player to want to come here.

When we got Jackson, it made B much more difficult. We'll see how attractive we are after the spring.

Yea, getting the 4th would be more difficult...although I would think any experienced QB would see a good path to being a starter in the Big Ten.

Just for depth purposes, Blaze McKibbin from California has been added as a walkon QB. He is on campus and enrolled. Started his career at Fresno State. For a 4th string/5th string guy, seems like a nice addition.

Just for depth purposes, Blaze McKibbin from California has been added as a walkon QB. He is on campus and enrolled. Started his career at Fresno State. For a 4th string/5th string guy, seems like a nice addition.

Maybe will keep us from having to use a LB as QB in a worst case scenario.

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT