ADVERTISEMENT

Next QB?

You almost have to wonder if Tayven’s commitment will make other QBs reconsider coming to Bloomington. To me, the first guy was a much easier recruitment than the next guy. Whatever the case, it’s a good day for IU football.
His commitment was big but the way it stands right now the QB room has a total of 10 attempted college passes.
Have got to get a QB with some significant college experience.
If not Nolan then they need to move on to the next guy.

You almost have to wonder if Tayven’s commitment will make other QBs reconsider coming to Bloomington. To me, the first guy was a much easier recruitment than the next guy. Whatever the case, it’s a good day for IU football.
We need at least one other quarterback, and that player needs to have experience so he can be the presumptive starter next Fall. TJ has loads of potential, but if he’s our starter, that’s going to be a challenge for us.

His commitment was big but the way it stands right now the QB room has a total of 10 attempted college passes.
Great talent with huge upsidr. But do you feel comfortable handing him the reins of Bell's offense.... Right Now? Because that is what we would be doing.

If we are going to throw the ball 45 times a game we need a quarterback with about ten years of NFL experience, but if the offense can shift to a run first (Bostad) offense where the QB is only throwing it 20-25 games the requirements you need a lot less from the QB in terms of experience.

Kellen Lewis says "hold my freshman beer."

If a kid can play - he can play

If he can't - we need to stop making our decision in the Spring and riding it to the bottom halfway through a season, or riding it all season

I'm for platooning if we don't have a dominant guy, and sending in plays using RB's and WR's too.

If he can't - we need to stop making our decision in the Spring and riding it to the bottom halfway through a season, or riding it all season

I'm for platooning if we don't have a dominant guy, and sending in plays using RB's and WR's too.
What is going to bother me the most is that we are going to go through the spring and camp and not get any information about the QB. We won't know who is practicing, performing, leading, what offense were running, etc. And any info we do get( I. E. Tuttle is a true leader an "has the edge" over Baz) we come to find out was meaningless and both QBs transfer out at the end of the year.

Not that the staff is supposed to tell us, it's just frustrating to have to wait until we find out while watching how badly OSU is trouncing us and our freshman QB on opening day.

Longest possible time until more football is rough.

Great talent with huge upsidr. But do you feel comfortable handing him the reins of Bell's offense.... Right Now? Because that is what we would be doing.
Not sure there is any comfort with any guy, including a veteran QB in the portal right now. The vast majority of those guys are leaving schools, just like Jackson, because they got replaced and don’t see any assurance they will start at their current school. Nolan played 5 games and was injured and never returned. Didn’t help that the backup had good success. Nolan was probably the best QB they had but was also turnover prone too.

another kellen lewis would be beyond great. but i don't expect to catch lightning in a bottle twice. 3 times if you count ARE. if dexter can't make it .i think we need a veteran QB to start the season. what's the latest on the kid from vandy? he might be an ideal transition QB.

Reactions: mk30
If we are going to throw the ball 45 times a game we need a quarterback with about ten years of NFL experience, but if the offense can shift to a run first (Bostad) offense where the QB is only throwing it 20-25 games the requirements you need a lot less from the QB in terms of experience.
It’s already intended to be a run first offense. That was always what Bell wanted to do.

Reactions: red hornet
Chance Nolan seems like he would be the perfect final addition to the QB room. It appears he has one year of eligibility left and we need someone who can be a bridge to Tayven for hopefully the next two-three years after that. Nolan has the experience needed to be successful here and he if he only has one year of eligibility left, it can put Tayven at ease knowing the job is wide open after this season.

Idk what kind of deals(if any) were made with Jackson to get him to commit, but I really hope he wasn't promised the starting job. I'm excited to see what he can develop into long term. You don't get recruited to play QB in Josh Heupel's offense if you don't have a strong arm, but he definitely needs more time before he's ready for the chaos of being starting QB at IU. In his practice/elite 11 videos he seemed to frequently put too much zip on his throws. Another worry that has already been brought up is that he wasn't heavily relied on in HS because w or w/o him, CG was the best team in Indiana. While I'm someone who is not opposed to talented QBs starting as RS freshman, I really think they'd need to be playing in a pass centric HS offense, and preferably be playing in FL/TX/CA against D-I athletes.

If Jackson took one more year to develop under a veteran and be the first man up for garbage time minutes during blowout games this season, then took the reigns next year, I think that'd be far better for his development.

Chance Nolan seems like he would be the perfect final addition to the QB room. It appears he has one year of eligibility left and we need someone who can be a bridge to Tayven for hopefully the next two-three years after that. Nolan has the experience needed to be successful here and he if he only has one year of eligibility left, it can put Tayven at ease knowing the job is wide open after this season.

Idk what kind of deals(if any) were made with Jackson to get him to commit, but I really hope he wasn't promised the starting job. I'm excited to see what he can develop into long term. You don't get recruited to play QB in Josh Heupel's offense if you don't have a strong arm, but he definitely needs more time before he's ready for the chaos of being starting QB at IU. In his practice/elite 11 videos he seemed to frequently put too much zip on his throws. Another worry that has already been brought up is that he wasn't heavily relied on in HS because w or w/o him, CG was the best team in Indiana. While I'm someone who is not opposed to talented QBs starting as RS freshman, I really think they'd need to be playing in a pass centric HS offense, and preferably be playing in FL/TX/CA against D-I athletes.

If Jackson took one more year to develop under a veteran and be the first man up for garbage time minutes during blowout games this season, then took the reigns next year, I think that'd be far better for his development.
The Portal called. Left a message. “Planning for the future is folly. Win now - nobody waits.”

The Portal called. Left a message. “Planning for the future is folly. Win now - nobody waits.”
Fair, except one small detail to the portal that people often overlook, players are only granted immediate eligibility once as an undergraduate. Meaning once Jackson enrolls signs his letter of intent, he's locked in to be at Indiana for at least two full seasons(or sit out 2022/2023 and transfer AGAIN). Ironically, some cfb analysts have pointed out it's a bigger deal when guys kids who are still early on in their undergrad commit out of the TP than out of HS, because they only have one "free transfer" until grad school.

Reactions: mk30 and vesuvius13
Fair, except one small detail to the portal that people often overlook, players are only granted immediate eligibility once as an undergraduate. Meaning once Jackson enrolls signs his letter of intent, he's locked in to be at Indiana for at least two full seasons(or sit out 2022/2023 and transfer AGAIN). Ironically, some cfb analysts have pointed out it's a bigger deal when guys kids who are still early on in their undergrad commit out of the TP than out of HS, because they only have one "free transfer" until grad school.
So the example of this would be that Baz now has to sit out a yr or is he a grad transfer and can play right away?

Reactions: vesuvius13
So the example of this would be that Baz now has to sit out a yr or is he a grad transfer and can play right away?
He is c/o 2019 so he is definitely a grad transfer, though it's very common for athletes get their degrees in three years anyway because they have to be there in the summer and they frequently aren't working toward very strenuous degrees.

One thing we have always told our kids that are being recruited . Be leery of coaches that promise that you are going to start as a true freshman they are either lying to you or they are really really bad.

One thing we have always told our kids that are being recruited . Be leery of coaches that promise that you are going to start as a true freshman they are either lying to you or they are really really bad.
Well, I mean, the last 2 years have, at times, been "really really bad" haven't they?

That, and we've had Freshman starters for years and they've held up, for the most part.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
experience is important, but overvalued in my opinion. Preparation is worth more to me. Example, Spencer Petras from Iowa...... no thank you.
Practice / prep requires more than three guys. Unless DW experiences miracle healing, we’ll have to find another guy.

Reactions: red hornet
Done until after spring practice, they reserve the right to change their minds ! As it stands right now, you are absolutely correct, rolling with what we have.
Allen has decided to roll the dice on a Freshman and a redshirt Freshman in a make or break season.
I think Jackson and Lowry have a chance to be good but to expect them to be ready this year seems to be asking a lot,I hope I’m wrong.

Allen has decided to roll the dice on a Freshman and a redshirt Freshman in a make or break season.
I think Jackson and Lowry have a chance to be good but to expect them to be ready this year seems to be asking a lot,I hope I’m wrong.
They’ll bring in at least one more. Pracrice alone dictates that you have more guys, and that’s before anyone gets hurt.

IU is done recruiting quarterbacks.
I'm starting to think Dexter may be ahead of schedule. Not saying he will be ready for the opener. But maybe at some point next year. Also they love Sorsby. Remember he was ahead of Dexter.

I can just tell you factually, at this moment, there is no plan to add to the QB room. Could things change after spring practice ? Sure, underperformance and/or injuries “could“ certainly change the thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT