ADVERTISEMENT

Never thought I’d be asking this question.

Maybe this was a good day?

Sorry guys, I just finished writing this, I know there’s typos and all kind of mistakes but I’m emotionally spent. Maybe tomorrow I can come back and clean it up. By the way it’s way to Long, but I own it all.

It seems a good or bad day really is determined by who you ask. In fact years ago I’m not really sure what I would have said but it certainly wouldn’t have been good. How bad, that I’m not sure. Today, I know it’s not all bad, because there was a beginning, middle and end sprinkled with a little bit of both. I woke up and took my 2nd dose of prednisone which is known to make some people nuts even if they’re completely normal by all accounts. I’m two weeks tomorrow removed from my neck surgery to fix my (I’m pausing here for a moment, how long I don’t know because I can’t remember what my surgery was fixing other than it was my neck). I’m sure it will come to me at some point but I don’t know when. More about that later if I don’t forget. So I wake up at my brothers house since I’m still separated from my wife, but that’s getting better! More about that later too. I take my prednisone for the pain I’ve only begun to have after maybe the 10th day after surgery. Even after day 2 I felt ready to jump around, I could talk maybe even sing (mind you I just had the front of my throat cut open, the vocal chords moved to the side so they could get to my C5/C6 and fuse it together, ahaha! That’s after they cleaned it up and pushed my disc back in place and plated it together. It was a pinched nerve in my neck that had been causing my right arm tingling mostly in the deltoid muscle. In fact if I layed on the floor with my trainer and he gave me a bar with 100+ lbs and I’m just using my biceps/triceps, no problems. If you give me a plate of spaghetti and ask me to twirl it, I’m tired after a few minutes. Seems *ucked up! I apologize in advance or maybe I should have done so that my memory is a little off right now and I’m a bit spacy. Yes, so the prednisone I’m on can make you feel kinda weird. Some of you may attest to this. I’m also on my bipolar med Depakote which of lately I’ve been questioning whether it’s helping/hurting or just needs redosing. So I get to my kids house and wish everyone including my wife a wonderful morning. The wife and I are getting along much better! That’s a great thing!! We’ve gone on 3 dates and went back to counseling at my request when I told her I was ready to start working on us again, not just me. This is and was the truth. I’ve been making French Toast for my kids for many years for breakfast so it’s a joy just to have a something in my life that feels so normal. Perhaps you should consider what that is in your life and take it away for just a moment. Don’t ever let that happen. I mean it. Some of you know this. So, after breakfast I stay at the house to work on some things that need to get done. I don’t always hang at their house because my oldest daughter who’s 17 and a senior has had a tough time being around me. We’re working on it, but it will take some time. Since she led freshman orientation today I took the chance to stick around with the other two girls. I think it was the prednisone because I was doing this and doing that, I was super efficient. Only once before had I taken it and I swear all the to do items we had been talking about for the past 10 years were almost completed in 4-5 days. And then I got a call from my accountant, in fact I had called him last Friday and left a message. I had to ask him embarrassingly what message I had left. I eventually remembered with a little help.

My next call was from my Psychiatrist office. She was calling me back from last Tuesday. I totally couldn’t recall what that was about. I started to remember a little as she led in….it was about my memory. I called her about my sucking memory wondering if this could be the psych meds, the narcs from the surgery (not Prednisone at this point) or something else? That call last Tuesday was very saddening for me. I was with my brother who is fine but has no clue when someone is upset or doesn’t give a *****. After leaving my message for Psych office, I had nobody else I felt comfortable calling. I didn’t want to bother my wife in the middle of clinic and all my other associates I speak to come from dark places based on 40 years of trauma I’ve lived and suffered through. Don’t worry, nothing illegal! Just lots of people that can empathize with your pain. You get stuck looking for these people because they too hold secrets and understand you without judgment. So with nobody to call at the moment I’m with my brother grabbing a cup of coffee at this cool new place in the Stutz Building bottom floor. Every cup is a pour over, dyor please, but trust me it’s nerdy good. So we’re having coffee, and I excuse myself to make a call outside because I had just started playing google doc and read that memory loss can be attributed to a number of things (duh) but highly mentioned were poor sleep (I have sleep apnea and am non compliant), mood disorders (no comment needed), and **** if I can remember what else I read but it applied to me. So I’m making my self help calls about my memory and have to leave a message and just start crying. Just a few tears but then you know how things can just take off. So I’m trying to figure out who I can call or text. I end of texting an ex girlfriend and start by saying “Please don’t write me back, I just need you to listen”. And that’s exactly what I did. I didn’t stop crying right away but it sure damn helped. I later told my wife about that and she believed me and I promised her I even saved the text for her to read. She just suggested I find some new positive people for my network of friend and or family when there’s a shit show or I just want a fun conversation. I totally agree. In fact after that Tuesday I came up with Three to do item: 1) Improve my sleep by being more complaint with my CPAP machine, 2) Improve my network of friends, 3) and hold **** I had forgotten this last one all day except for this morning when the Psych office called me and I told her these three items. I tried to recall #3 two other times and came up blank……ummm….I think it was find positive coping skills which sounds similar to finding positive people in my life but slightly different. When I can’t always rely on someone I need to rely on myself to find new skills. I gone 40 years also of having negative coping skills, that must all change. Some patients use cognitive therapy, which I use as well as most, but I’m actively looking for an adult DBT group that’s more skilled base. So those are my three items on me. I told those to my psych office today when she finally called me back. The issue with that call as you might recall or not is how spacy I mentioned I had been today. I was losing memory even starting last week, but today I spacy even on a morning when I was more productive than normal. She called me and then I just sat there and spaced out and kinda lost my momentum. There was more I wanted to say to the Doctor tomorrow for my visit but I was afraid I might forget so I got onto my computer and just started typing away. It felt very much like my own Momento moment. Some of you will understand.

So my kid who’s not liking me right now who tried to kill herself this past spring just graduated her own DBT program tonight. I began the sessions with her but it was clear I couldn’t contribute and I was too traumatized and dealing with my own shit. So my wife took over for me. She started leaving clinic on Tuesdays 1.5 hours earlier just to be at DBT with our daughter. There has to be a parent. I never doubted she would do it, but as the stay at home parent it was always my job. My wife along with becoming supermom from the separation had become so much more. I was really proud of her too. So I had a dessert made to congratulate both my wife and daughter. I wanted them to both know how proud I was of their accomplishment. My daughter seems to be doing much better and my wife is enjoying this extra time with her kids. Ironically this mostly happens because of the separation. I had a choice to make though. I chose not to be there for the dinner following therapy. I’ve been invited by the family more often lately but I usually don’t come after their Tuesday nights. I chose to leave the dessert because I knew if I was there I’d most likely have my own breakdown and didn’t want to steal the attention. I did let my wife know I wanted to be there but didn’t want to be a distraction. I would have loved to been there…..

In the end I was preparing myself for some serious sulking behavior. I think women refer to it as “self care”, I believe men call it “letting go”. I was prepared to try out King Dough. I had heard about the place and since I was eating reasonably healthy and working out despite all, it was time for a whole pizza. Not sure what size I was up to anymore, but a pizza was on the agenda. And beer, maybe just one. I had given it up mostly since starting monjorno, but I’m off it now and down to a slender 173. And then I get a call from home. They had just eaten dinner, (oh I did help prepare that with the help of my daughter since I can only lift up to 10 lbs because of my surgery…I think I told you about it, but I can’t recall what it was for. The dessert had my oldest daughter crying and she wanted to talk to me. She said she loved me, still pissed but loved me…..I told her I loved her too. So I’m getting ready to order and they all ask where I’m at, I tell them I’m about to order my first pizza in a long ass time and a beer. They guilt me and say I’m getting fat again and need to stick to something healthier….who am I to argue with? So after I hang up, I order my food and take a picture of the menu to show them I’m at the pizza joint and when the food comes I send them a picture of a Greek salad with grilled chicken. Some days your girls know how to lift you up.

I know this is gone on a bit long (yea I know) but a few of you muther****ers said I could use this as a journal). There’s a part I Ieft out that’s not exactly happy, but true. I have a way of dealing with stress to make it manageable. I basically stick my head down a rabbit hole so I see, hear and forget all. I’m not sure even the date this happened as my head is already down the hole or up my ass, but one of my crypto wallets was hacked to the tune of over 140k. I don’t keep all my assets in the same place in case something like this ever happened. I was actually phished by being careless. It can happy to any of us and probably has. I accepted an airdrop of a new coin to my wallet and didn’t check the address it originated from. It was a total scam. It was completely my fault but I knew better. Before I could stop it all my assets from that wallet had been emptied within 5 minutes. Do I think crypto is not safe. It def has its learning curves even for a savvy owner of assets who thought he knew what he was doing. The question now is what do I do? I wrote the company that manages the wallets. They’re very big but said coins won’t be returned but they would like for me to file a report and contact local authorities. I’m afraid this could **** me with my wife. I mean telling her and being totally transparent is what I’ve been wanting all throughout our marriage, but this topic would be new. I also need to investigate if I can prove I was phished/hacked can I get some type of tax credit. I’m afraid to ask my account. Oh **** I think that’s the other thing I was thinking of talking to him about….maybe it’s a good thing I forgot.

For those of you that may be concerned about my well being I will say I’m not great, but I’m safe and have never tried to hurt myself or anyone else. I have only ever met one person from this site in over the 22 years or whatever it’s been. This person is still a part of the site and is amazing and checks up periodically on me. I’m sure he will read this as he always does and will check in on me. Probably tomorrow, but he’ll have to wait until after my 10:00am Psych appointment. Got that Ricky? Eh, trust me on this one.
Good rant, Eppy. Lots there. Glad you got it all in. Definitely get some rest and let your psych read through it with you In the morning.

I take notes with me to the doctor too. Can’t remember all the important stuff. Also take Prednisone too - for Rheumatoid Arthritis flare ups. Makes me quivery, but RA pain sucks, so quiver is better! I’m also convinced - without medical backup of course - that it helped protect me from bad effects from Covid-related swelling.

G’night, bro.

Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

Sorry guys, I just finished writing this, I know there’s typos and all kind of mistakes but I’m emotionally spent. Maybe tomorrow I can come back and clean it up. By the way it’s way to Long, but I own it all.

It seems a good or bad day really is determined by who you ask. In fact years ago I’m not really sure what I would have said but it certainly wouldn’t have been good. How bad, that I’m not sure. Today, I know it’s not all bad, because there was a beginning, middle and end sprinkled with a little bit of both. I woke up and took my 2nd dose of prednisone which is known to make some people nuts even if they’re completely normal by all accounts. I’m two weeks tomorrow removed from my neck surgery to fix my (I’m pausing here for a moment, how long I don’t know because I can’t remember what my surgery was fixing other than it was my neck). I’m sure it will come to me at some point but I don’t know when. More about that later if I don’t forget. So I wake up at my brothers house since I’m still separated from my wife, but that’s getting better! More about that later too. I take my prednisone for the pain I’ve only begun to have after maybe the 10th day after surgery. Even after day 2 I felt ready to jump around, I could talk maybe even sing (mind you I just had the front of my throat cut open, the vocal chords moved to the side so they could get to my C5/C6 and fuse it together, ahaha! That’s after they cleaned it up and pushed my disc back in place and plated it together. It was a pinched nerve in my neck that had been causing my right arm tingling mostly in the deltoid muscle. In fact if I layed on the floor with my trainer and he gave me a bar with 100+ lbs and I’m just using my biceps/triceps, no problems. If you give me a plate of spaghetti and ask me to twirl it, I’m tired after a few minutes. Seems *ucked up! I apologize in advance or maybe I should have done so that my memory is a little off right now and I’m a bit spacy. Yes, so the prednisone I’m on can make you feel kinda weird. Some of you may attest to this. I’m also on my bipolar med Depakote which of lately I’ve been questioning whether it’s helping/hurting or just needs redosing. So I get to my kids house and wish everyone including my wife a wonderful morning. The wife and I are getting along much better! That’s a great thing!! We’ve gone on 3 dates and went back to counseling at my request when I told her I was ready to start working on us again, not just me. This is and was the truth. I’ve been making French Toast for my kids for many years for breakfast so it’s a joy just to have a something in my life that feels so normal. Perhaps you should consider what that is in your life and take it away for just a moment. Don’t ever let that happen. I mean it. Some of you know this. So, after breakfast I stay at the house to work on some things that need to get done. I don’t always hang at their house because my oldest daughter who’s 17 and a senior has had a tough time being around me. We’re working on it, but it will take some time. Since she led freshman orientation today I took the chance to stick around with the other two girls. I think it was the prednisone because I was doing this and doing that, I was super efficient. Only once before had I taken it and I swear all the to do items we had been talking about for the past 10 years were almost completed in 4-5 days. And then I got a call from my accountant, in fact I had called him last Friday and left a message. I had to ask him embarrassingly what message I had left. I eventually remembered with a little help.

My next call was from my Psychiatrist office. She was calling me back from last Tuesday. I totally couldn’t recall what that was about. I started to remember a little as she led in….it was about my memory. I called her about my sucking memory wondering if this could be the psych meds, the narcs from the surgery (not Prednisone at this point) or something else? That call last Tuesday was very saddening for me. I was with my brother who is fine but has no clue when someone is upset or doesn’t give a *****. After leaving my message for Psych office, I had nobody else I felt comfortable calling. I didn’t want to bother my wife in the middle of clinic and all my other associates I speak to come from dark places based on 40 years of trauma I’ve lived and suffered through. Don’t worry, nothing illegal! Just lots of people that can empathize with your pain. You get stuck looking for these people because they too hold secrets and understand you without judgment. So with nobody to call at the moment I’m with my brother grabbing a cup of coffee at this cool new place in the Stutz Building bottom floor. Every cup is a pour over, dyor please, but trust me it’s nerdy good. So we’re having coffee, and I excuse myself to make a call outside because I had just started playing google doc and read that memory loss can be attributed to a number of things (duh) but highly mentioned were poor sleep (I have sleep apnea and am non compliant), mood disorders (no comment needed), and **** if I can remember what else I read but it applied to me. So I’m making my self help calls about my memory and have to leave a message and just start crying. Just a few tears but then you know how things can just take off. So I’m trying to figure out who I can call or text. I end of texting an ex girlfriend and start by saying “Please don’t write me back, I just need you to listen”. And that’s exactly what I did. I didn’t stop crying right away but it sure damn helped. I later told my wife about that and she believed me and I promised her I even saved the text for her to read. She just suggested I find some new positive people for my network of friend and or family when there’s a shit show or I just want a fun conversation. I totally agree. In fact after that Tuesday I came up with Three to do item: 1) Improve my sleep by being more complaint with my CPAP machine, 2) Improve my network of friends, 3) and hold **** I had forgotten this last one all day except for this morning when the Psych office called me and I told her these three items. I tried to recall #3 two other times and came up blank……ummm….I think it was find positive coping skills which sounds similar to finding positive people in my life but slightly different. When I can’t always rely on someone I need to rely on myself to find new skills. I gone 40 years also of having negative coping skills, that must all change. Some patients use cognitive therapy, which I use as well as most, but I’m actively looking for an adult DBT group that’s more skilled base. So those are my three items on me. I told those to my psych office today when she finally called me back. The issue with that call as you might recall or not is how spacy I mentioned I had been today. I was losing memory even starting last week, but today I spacy even on a morning when I was more productive than normal. She called me and then I just sat there and spaced out and kinda lost my momentum. There was more I wanted to say to the Doctor tomorrow for my visit but I was afraid I might forget so I got onto my computer and just started typing away. It felt very much like my own Momento moment. Some of you will understand.

So my kid who’s not liking me right now who tried to kill herself this past spring just graduated her own DBT program tonight. I began the sessions with her but it was clear I couldn’t contribute and I was too traumatized and dealing with my own shit. So my wife took over for me. She started leaving clinic on Tuesdays 1.5 hours earlier just to be at DBT with our daughter. There has to be a parent. I never doubted she would do it, but as the stay at home parent it was always my job. My wife along with becoming supermom from the separation had become so much more. I was really proud of her too. So I had a dessert made to congratulate both my wife and daughter. I wanted them to both know how proud I was of their accomplishment. My daughter seems to be doing much better and my wife is enjoying this extra time with her kids. Ironically this mostly happens because of the separation. I had a choice to make though. I chose not to be there for the dinner following therapy. I’ve been invited by the family more often lately but I usually don’t come after their Tuesday nights. I chose to leave the dessert because I knew if I was there I’d most likely have my own breakdown and didn’t want to steal the attention. I did let my wife know I wanted to be there but didn’t want to be a distraction. I would have loved to been there…..

In the end I was preparing myself for some serious sulking behavior. I think women refer to it as “self care”, I believe men call it “letting go”. I was prepared to try out King Dough. I had heard about the place and since I was eating reasonably healthy and working out despite all, it was time for a whole pizza. Not sure what size I was up to anymore, but a pizza was on the agenda. And beer, maybe just one. I had given it up mostly since starting monjorno, but I’m off it now and down to a slender 173. And then I get a call from home. They had just eaten dinner, (oh I did help prepare that with the help of my daughter since I can only lift up to 10 lbs because of my surgery…I think I told you about it, but I can’t recall what it was for. The dessert had my oldest daughter crying and she wanted to talk to me. She said she loved me, still pissed but loved me…..I told her I loved her too. So I’m getting ready to order and they all ask where I’m at, I tell them I’m about to order my first pizza in a long ass time and a beer. They guilt me and say I’m getting fat again and need to stick to something healthier….who am I to argue with? So after I hang up, I order my food and take a picture of the menu to show them I’m at the pizza joint and when the food comes I send them a picture of a Greek salad with grilled chicken. Some days your girls know how to lift you up.

I know this is gone on a bit long (yea I know) but a few of you muther****ers said I could use this as a journal). There’s a part I Ieft out that’s not exactly happy, but true. I have a way of dealing with stress to make it manageable. I basically stick my head down a rabbit hole so I see, hear and forget all. I’m not sure even the date this happened as my head is already down the hole or up my ass, but one of my crypto wallets was hacked to the tune of over 140k. I don’t keep all my assets in the same place in case something like this ever happened. I was actually phished by being careless. It can happy to any of us and probably has. I accepted an airdrop of a new coin to my wallet and didn’t check the address it originated from. It was a total scam. It was completely my fault but I knew better. Before I could stop it all my assets from that wallet had been emptied within 5 minutes. Do I think crypto is not safe. It def has its learning curves even for a savvy owner of assets who thought he knew what he was doing. The question now is what do I do? I wrote the company that manages the wallets. They’re very big but said coins won’t be returned but they would like for me to file a report and contact local authorities. I’m afraid this could **** me with my wife. I mean telling her and being totally transparent is what I’ve been wanting all throughout our marriage, but this topic would be new. I also need to investigate if I can prove I was phished/hacked can I get some type of tax credit. I’m afraid to ask my account. Oh **** I think that’s the other thing I was thinking of talking to him about….maybe it’s a good thing I forgot.

For those of you that may be concerned about my well being I will say I’m not great, but I’m safe and have never tried to hurt myself or anyone else. I have only ever met one person from this site in over the 22 years or whatever it’s been. This person is still a part of the site and is amazing and checks up periodically on me. I’m sure he will read this as he always does and will check in on me. Probably tomorrow, but he’ll have to wait until after my 10:00am Psych appointment. Got that Ricky? Eh, trust me on this one.
Sending you hugs, Eppy. Hope you have a whole bunch of good days.

Keep soldiering on Eppy!!!!

You've said a lot here.

And I read all of it in the voice of Hunter Thompson. Good luck and keep up the healing Eppy.

Good rant, Eppy. Lots there. Glad you got it all in. Definitely get some rest and let your psych read through it with you In the morning.

I take notes with me to the doctor too. Can’t remember all the important stuff. Also take Prednisone too - for Rheumatoid Arthritis flare ups. Makes me quivery, but RA pain sucks, so quiver is better! I’m also convinced - without medical backup of course - that it helped protect me from bad effects from Covid-related swelling.

G’night, bro.

Let us know how it goes!
How often can you take that Prednisone without having permanent affects? I feel there was some recent news on this. Then again which is worse?

Never feel guilty about treating yourself to pizza and a beer.

Never feel guilty about treating yourself to pizza and a beer.
I had to chuckle at pizza and beer tho. A friend of mine was found dead in his house last night. Not a good friend but a lawyer I have known for 20 years and was a gem. Sweetest man alive. Weighed 500 pounds. His car would list the second he got in it. He was a criminal and traffic lawyer. He didn’t have clients. He had “guys.” Id run into him getting a pizza and I’d say what are you doing all dressed up. And he’d go: I’m goin out to warrnton to see if I can get ten bucks knocked off my guy’s rec. I’d say Dude that’s a 45 minute drive!! I know I know. But my guy’s broke.

I guess all the pizza finally caught up to him. So enjoy the pie. Just not too many. And enjoy your time. It isn’t guaranteed

I had to chuckle at pizza and beer tho. A friend of mine was found dead in his house last night. Not a good friend but a lawyer I have known for 20 years and was a gem. Sweetest man alive. Weighed 500 pounds. His car would list the second he got in it. He was a criminal and traffic lawyer. He didn’t have clients. He had “guys.” Id run into him getting a pizza and I’d say what are you doing all dressed up. And he’d go: I’m goin out to warrnton to see if I can get ten bucks knocked off my guy’s rec. I’d say Dude that’s a 45 minute drive!! I know I know. But my guy’s broke.

I guess all the pizza finally caught up to him. So enjoy the pie. Just not too many. And enjoy your time. It isn’t guaranteed

The two best ways to die in my mind would be right after eating a good pizza or after sex.

If I could get both in before death, then I know that there really is a God 😄.

You need to get all your stories in a book…seriously.

The two best ways to die in my mind would be right after eating a good pizza or after sex.

If I could get both in before death, then I know that there really is a God 😄.
I had a medic run years ago, heart attack. Dude was laying naked in bead, sheets all messed up, dead. The woman was smoking like a freight train in the old west and begging that we get him out of there ASAP, NOW ! and can we get a wrecker to haul his car off. We are all like WTF?
Finally she owned up, "his wife will be getting off work soon and will be driving by". We were all "OHHHH, that makes sense now". :)

How often can you take that Prednisone without having permanent affects? I feel there was some recent news on this. Then again which is worse?
Short version - I dont know. Most I ever used it was a couple of weeks for RA - see below. Now a day or 2 occasionally.

Long TMI version - with no medical support:

Over the years, I would occasionally suffer what doctors called “frozen shoulder“ and what I now think were flareups of undiagnosed rheumatoid arthritis. One of my elbows would just get pinned to my side, and I couldn’t move it without using the other arm to raise it. Sometimes I’d have to wear a sling for a few days. Other times steroids or NSAIDS would eventually loosen it back up.

I was also lucky enough to have diverticulosis, which would occasionally flare up into diverticulitis. Gut pain. Unfun double plus bad. So anytime I had gut pain I’d head for the doctor to prevent “osis” from turning into “itis”. Sometimes I was right, and strong antibiotics would fix me up. Other times I was wrong, and it would just be a virus, and I would get to puke my guts out.

In 2014, I started feeling gut pain and it got bad enough in the middle of the night I headed for the ER. And they tested me for everything my insurance would pay for and sent me home saying “you probably just have a virus.“ That was after I threw up all over the ER, and the bathroom in both the waiting room and in the treating area.

What I didn’t know then, but know now, is that viruses can trigger my immune system into a flareup of rheumatoid arthritis. And in 2014, I got a really bad one. As in worst ever. The day after I came back from the ER, I started to feel like a frozen shoulder episode was starting. Within a week, I couldn’t move any of my joints without severe pain. Went on for months while my doctors tested me for everything my insurance would pay for again, but nothing they prescribed helped the pain. I was basically immobile.

Eventually, my doctor said he was going to check into “auto immune issues.“ called me at home on a Sunday afternoon to tell me that I had rheumatoid arthritis. Some test he gave me was supposed to have numbers below 30, and mine was 471.

While I waited to get into a RA doctor, I was given prednisone and told to take five the first day, four the next day, three the next day, two, then one, then a half each day for a week. It worked better than a revival miracle. But they told me not to keep taking it after seeing the RA guy unless the RA guy said otherwise. It took away the pain in a week.

My RA doctor ran me through step therapy again until he stuck me on a biologic TNFa inhibitor. That brought the numbers down. He told me I could take prednisone “for a few days at a time“ if I had flareups, but if it went more than a week to get in touch. They give me 30 at a time. I once went nine months without needing them. But if I feel pain in my finger, joints, knees or shoulders, I’ll get the bottle back out.

Have not had frozen shoulder since 2014. Have not had debilitating pain since then either. The biologic and prednisone combo have kept me mostly human.

Apparently they use prednisone for many things, from cancer to reducing inflammation. I didn’t ask any questions. I just got off the couch and went back to work.

Reactions: Eppy99
Books are dead

Unrelated here.

We had back to school night last Monday for my youngest who is going into 5th grade. We meet her teacher who gives us a paper of instructions on where to put things in the classroom and such. We do that and get to the part where it says everything else, put in your locker. We go and find her locker, open it and she looks at the top shelf and sees THREE text books.

I almost fainted.

"Dad, someone forgot their books," she said.

"No, babe. Those are your books for the year."

"Oh god, what am I gonna do?" was her reply.

It took until 5th grade, but she finally got a couple text books. It melted my heart to see good old fashioned text books and not everything on a computer screen.

She looked defeated.

Short version - I dont know. Most I ever used it was a couple of weeks for RA - see below. Now a day or 2 occasionally.

Long TMI version - with no medical support:

Over the years, I would occasionally suffer what doctors called “frozen shoulder“ and what I now think were flareups of undiagnosed rheumatoid arthritis. One of my elbows would just get pinned to my side, and I couldn’t move it without using the other arm to raise it. Sometimes I’d have to wear a sling for a few days. Other times steroids or NSAIDS would eventually loosen it back up.

I was also lucky enough to have diverticulosis, which would occasionally flare up into diverticulitis. Gut pain. Unfun double plus bad. So anytime I had gut pain I’d head for the doctor to prevent “osis” from turning into “itis”. Sometimes I was right, and strong antibiotics would fix me up. Other times I was wrong, and it would just be a virus, and I would get to puke my guts out.

In 2014, I started feeling gut pain and it got bad enough in the middle of the night I headed for the ER. And they tested me for everything my insurance would pay for and sent me home saying “you probably just have a virus.“ That was after I threw up all over the ER, and the bathroom in both the waiting room and in the treating area.

What I didn’t know then, but know now, is that viruses can trigger my immune system into a flareup of rheumatoid arthritis. And in 2014, I got a really bad one. As in worst ever. The day after I came back from the ER, I started to feel like a frozen shoulder episode was starting. Within a week, I couldn’t move any of my joints without severe pain. Went on for months while my doctors tested me for everything my insurance would pay for again, but nothing they prescribed helped the pain. I was basically immobile.

Eventually, my doctor said he was going to check into “auto immune issues.“ called me at home on a Sunday afternoon to tell me that I had rheumatoid arthritis. Some test he gave me was supposed to have numbers below 30, and mine was 471.

While I waited to get into a RA doctor, I was given prednisone and told to take five the first day, four the next day, three the next day, two, then one, then a half each day for a week. It worked better than a revival miracle. But they told me not to keep taking it after seeing the RA guy unless the RA guy said otherwise. It took away the pain in a week.

My RA doctor ran me through step therapy again until he stuck me on a biologic TNFa inhibitor. That brought the numbers down. He told me I could take prednisone “for a few days at a time“ if I had flareups, but if it went more than a week to get in touch. They give me 30 at a time. I once went nine months without needing them. But if I feel pain in my finger, joints, knees or shoulders, I’ll get the bottle back out.

Have not had frozen shoulder since 2014. Have not had debilitating pain since then either. The biologic and prednisone combo have kept me mostly human.

Apparently they use prednisone for many things, from cancer to reducing inflammation. I didn’t ask any questions. I just got off the couch and went back to work.
I can feel myself coming down off the high. I have three more days I think but much less space today. My trainer said to me he does worry about gaining weight with the steroids but obviously this isn’t a normal use of the roid.

I can feel myself coming down off the high. I have three more days I think but much less space today. My trainer said to me he does worry about gaining weight with the steroids but obviously this isn’t a normal use of the roid.
Wait - I'm supposed to be getting high on this stuff? I got ripped off.

Reactions: Eppy99
@Eppy99 - Thank you for sharing so much. You are giving me info on some personal issues that I have been wondering about. I saw the best ADHD meme the other day that made me feel whole. ... "I just spent 10 minutes, completing a task that I have been putting off for 4 months". This is me, post 48yrs old, to a freaking T !

Damn, I think two winning days in a row!

I’m beginning to understand good days aren’t the same as they used to be. I took one less prednisone pill again and again feel no pain. I sound like my grandfather. I made French toast for the girls which has never been more fun. Pro tip, Brioche or Challah makes the best. (Eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon) cut it thick and cook in butter. Butter gives it that extra flavor you’re looking for.....I digress, girls were happy to see me, I took first day pictures of my junior and senior driving off to school. That’s always scary as ****! Hit my 10:00am appointment time with the good doctor, and just as MTIOTF suggested I printed off my journal entry from last night and shared. It was good stuff he said. It actually gave him insight that sometimes patients have a hard time expressing. We’re dropping one of the meds and starting a new one. Nice assist! Here’s where things get a bit cloudy, he thinks I need to start a 12 step program like pretty soon. Like the wheels aren’t falling off, it’s just that I’m powerless. That’s a concept I hadn’t really accepted which I guess is sort of the point. I wouldn’t call myself an intellectual, but I’ve been trying to find intellectual answers to explain the last 49 years of my life and most the last 40 that were painful. Somehow this is still feeling like a good day. I had questioned this before but my therapist didn’t give me an adequate answer as to what an addiction really is, and I guess I just accepted this answer. This Dr. Is good. Btw, did I mention the first 20 minutes we talked about his Jewish heritage? I wonder if he will charge me for that part. We went over by about 30 minutes. I’ve seen lot of Psychiatrists for myself of with my kids. He’s more like a therapist/Dr. So I’m now an addict, this is good. Explains some but doesn’t negate the intellectual part either. Oh I told him about getting my crypto wallet cleaned out. I figured something out about this. My surgery was on the 26th. I looked into my emails to see when I started writing the Metamask wallet people, it was the morning of the 27th. I was probably ****ing around on my bed still drugged up let these mother****ers right into my wallet. I know better. I guess when you know someone having surgery take away their phone too until they’re coherent. So I told the good doc, I’ve seen fluctuations like this before on good and bad days I’ve just never had someone clean my clock out. He asked me did I tell my wife every time my balance went up or down 100k or more in a day. I said hells no, he gave me permission to no say a thing. Said he couldn’t speak for what my therapist will say tomorrow, but he sees no harm on this one. He’s a keeper. Left my appointment and was on my way to pick up my daughter and just like clockwork, one of our very best called me to check up like minutes after my appointment. Ya’ll are good people except for @Mas-sa-suta, I’m pretty sure he hates my people and would toss me into an oven. Nah, I even got love for you Mas. So I see nothing wrong with my day so far. I mean being called an addict is kinda new, but as they say new experiences can lead to enightenment. I think that’s right. I was wondering to myself, if it took so much pain to learn this much about myself would I do it all over again. I mean the trauma wasn’t my choice, but the messages I now have learned have taught me so much. I think before my life became this open for all to see, I was free from some emotions and unfeeling of the pain that I had yet to acknowledge all along. I’m so much more aware, but those who know me the best just kinda figured I went bat shit. I decided at that point they might be right, but at least I know who I am and I’m not afraid anymore.

So, I’ve got to find my Addicts group, a real paying job after 16 years, and that’s about it for tonight. Thanks to each and every one of you that have supported me and encouraged me. It means more than you could know. I’m tired again and never got. Around to editing yesterday’s entry.

Question: Do men avoid going to doctors of any kind because we want to avoid what the doctor might say? Do we think they’re full of shit, or do we think we know more? Or something entirely else?

Question: Do men avoid going to doctors of any kind because we want to avoid what the doctor might say? Do we think they’re full of shit, or do we think we know more? Or something entirely else?
330px-Schrodingers_cat.svg.png

Seriously though, I hate going because I don't want to know, even if knowing would expediate healing the reason for the trip.

So tomorrow I have surgery. The doctors say this is the best chance to reverse my arm paralysis. Honestly I can’t even recall if I wrote about my latest issues post surgery on 7/26. Basically the arm was fine and then two weeks later total paralysis of the deltoid and muscles attached to the scapula.

Whatever happens happens, if I’m paralyzed I’ll deal with it. If not I’ll work my ass off in PT to gain my strength back. I’ve missed being able to workout. No more more pity party.

Feel free to say a prayer if that’s your thing, drink a beer, even keep me in your thoughts for healing. I’ll take whatever homies.

So tomorrow I have surgery. The doctors say this is the best chance to reverse my arm paralysis. Honestly I can’t even recall if I wrote about my latest issues post surgery on 7/26. Basically the arm was fine and then two weeks later total paralysis of the deltoid and muscles attached to the scapula.

Whatever happens happens, if I’m paralyzed I’ll deal with it. If not I’ll work my ass off in PT to gain my strength back. I’ve missed being able to workout. No more more pity party.

Feel free to say a prayer if that’s your thing, drink a beer, even keep me in your thoughts for healing. I’ll take whatever homies.
Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.
You've got this.

Well I didn’t die on the operating table, but the nurses weren’t all that hot either. I’m told It may be another 3-4 months before I know if my arm is still paralyzed. Have a great weekend

On the plus side, you are living and breathing and hopefully on a road to recovery. Not all are as lucky. Too many sad stories around me lately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT