ADVERTISEMENT

need tech advice, streaming video recorders.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
thinking about renting a property that only is served by Smithville Fiber, and neither cable nor satellite are an option.

Smithville only does internet, but does have a streaming service for just the local channels.

all the cord cutter streaming "cable services" seem to each have some deal killer as well

Playstation Vue i read has limited "DVR" functionality.

according to the reviews, even though it advertises great dvr features, in practice once a VOD of the show you "recorded" is available, (which i read often happens quickly), you then have access to only the VOD version of the show/game, and no longer are able to access your "dvr'd" version.

point being, you can't ffwd or skip through commercials once that happens, which is deal killer since zillions of commercials now make "commercial" tv literally unwatchable.

Directv Now doesn't have rights to the local CBS station, so no NFL, PGA Golf, NCAA Bball, etc.

am wondering if there is a stand alone recording device i can record/download the video streams from when i wish, which would allow me to use Playstation Vue and "record" the shows myself, or record CBS from the ISP's streaming service if i went with Directv Now.

if so, how well do these devices work, how easy are they to use, and how much storage do you need to say keep 60 hrs of HD quality video?

on a side note, looks to me like streaming services like Playstation Vue, DTV Now, even Comcast, that do advertise DVRs, don't really record anyway. (unbelievable how much chittier Comcast's cable service is today, to what they offered 10 yrs ago).

looks like they only access a file, regardless of whether you are allowed to ffwd commercials or not.

a downside to this, is you still have no slow motion or frame by frame capabilities, which are also must haves, and which i've enjoyed since my first vcr in 1980.

so what's the scoop?

is there something i can buy to record/download streaming video that's easy to use, works well, and has great picture quality?

inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
thinking about renting a property that only is served by Smithville Fiber, and neither cable nor satellite are an option.

Smithville only does internet, but does have a streaming service for just the local channels.

all the cord cutter streaming "cable services" seem to each have some deal killer as well

according to the reviews, even though it advertises great dvr features, in practice once a VOD of the show you "recorded" is available, (which i read often happens quickly), you then have access to only the VOD version of the show/game, and no longer are able to access your "dvr'd" version.

point being, you can't ffwd or skip through commercials once that happens, which is deal killer since zillions of commercials now make "commercial" tv literally unwatchable.

Directv Now doesn't have rights to the local CBS station, so no NFL, PGA Golf, NCAA Bball, etc.

am wondering if there is a stand alone recording device i can record/download the video streams from when i wish, which would allow me to use Playstation Vue and "record" the shows myself, or record CBS from the ISP's streaming service if i went with Directv Now.

if so, how well do these devices work, how easy are they to use, and how much storage do you need to say keep 60 hrs of HD quality video?

on a side note, looks to me like streaming services like Playstation Vue, DTV Now, even Comcast, that do advertise DVRs, don't really record anyway. (unbelievable how much chittier Comcast's cable service is today, to what they offered 10 yrs ago).

looks like they only access a file, regardless of whether you are allowed to ffwd commercials or not.

a downside to this, is you still have no slow motion or frame by frame capabilities, which are also must haves, and which i've enjoyed since my first vcr in 1980.

so what's the scoop?

is there something i can buy to record/download streaming video that's easy to use, works well, and has great picture quality?

Check out YouTube TV. I have no idea what, if any, DVR capability they have, but we like the selection of channels and the picture is just as good as that provided by the HD antenna we have.

Hulu is my favorite as it has every channel I want except for AMC but I only need that when Better Call Saul is on.

Check out YouTube TV. I have no idea what, if any, DVR capability they have, but we like the selection of channels and the picture is just as good as that provided by the HD antenna we have.
Hey Sope, do they carry the local sports games that normal TV would carry? For example, the Colts games are shown where I live and I wonder if they would carry those games.

Hey Sope, do they carry the local sports games that normal TV would carry? For example, the Colts games are shown where I live and I wonder if they would carry those games.

Hulu Live does carry local channels as well. I believe YouTube TV is the same.

YouTube TV provides local channels, yes, but if you have an issue with your internet connectivity you won't have those channels unless you have the HD antenna.

so what's the scoop?

Ps vue. By a mile.

You can access your recorded show, and the on demand show. You can’t fast forward the on demand version, but you can FF the recorded version. Unless something changed.

You get to record whatever you want, but it goes away in 30 days. Which is usually fine.

We tried out sling tv, but the UI sucked. YouTube tv is limited.

Between kodi, YouTube, Netflix and ps vue, we’re well covered. We use either an nvidia shield, or in the case of a living room, a Sony tv that has an android system built in to it.

Just make sure you have a decent Wi-Fi/internet signal. We’ve got gigabyte service, so we can run streams on everything and we’ve got plenty of bandwidth left over.

My advice is do the free trials of everything, and see what works best for you. For us, it was ps vue.

Ps vue. By a mile.

You can access your recorded show, and the on demand show. You can’t fast forward the on demand version, but you can FF the recorded version. Unless something changed.

You get to record whatever you want, but it goes away in 30 days. Which is usually fine.

We tried out sling tv, but the UI sucked. YouTube tv is limited.

Between kodi, YouTube, Netflix and ps vue, we’re well covered. We use either an nvidia shield, or in the case of a living room, a Sony tv that has an android system built in to it.

Just make sure you have a decent Wi-Fi/internet signal. We’ve got gigabyte service, so we can run streams on everything and we’ve got plenty of bandwidth left over.

My advice is do the free trials of everything, and see what works best for you. For us, it was ps vue.

Found another one, called Philo. A little cheaper than slingtv, offers around 40 channels. We’re going to pick it up just for Viceland. Ps vue doesn’t have Viceland.

Also, slingtv and Philo don’t have the Big ten network. Ps vue has it. That was consideration number one for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT