ADVERTISEMENT

Local tv stations vs streaming/cable blackouts

yes...YouTube TV carries local TV stations. Thank you for confirming what we already knew.

The more serious answer is, most streaming services that offer linear network content offer local channels, no different than cable TV offerings. Today, thanks to streaming services, the monopolies you keep beating us over the head with are far less substantial than they used to be.

Right now I have access to seven (or more) different services that I can get linear programming which included local channels. Kind of hard to pound your chest repeatedly about monopoly as the market offerings have more than tripled in the last five years.

Spectrum - cable
ATT - cable
Direct TV - dish
Direct TV - stream
Dish Network(?)

YouTubeTV
Hulu Live
Fubu

The process of which service offers what is like a shell game. Once the NBA season rolls around I'll likely switch over to Fubu, since they have Bally's for Pacer games.

Of course in this instance, the ESPN/Disney/ABC spat with Spectrum has ZERO to do with local ABC networks not owned by Disney. Not all ABC affiliates are owned by Disney. The ABC affiliate in Indianapolis isn't.

The debate over what TV platform you use is rather irrelevant. I think we all agree there is competition there

This is more a debate about ISPs. I have two choices. ATT or Comcast.

Charter and Disney got their stuff together in time for tonight's Manningcast.

The debate over what TV platform you use is rather irrelevant. I think we all agree there is competition there

This is more a debate about ISPs. I have two choices. ATT or Comcast.

but according to your own beyond idiotic non logic, since there are many places you can buy Comcast and ATT, there is obviously plenty of "competition" there.

lot's of outlets selling the same monopolistic service doesn't make for a competitive environment in the slightest.

'the bundle" itself is the monopolistic entity, regardless of if you have one or 100 outlets selling that monopoly bundle.

every one of those 1 to 100 sellers are all bound by effectively the same monopoly contractual agreement, so it's really just a matter of which marketing company is billing you for the monopoly bundle.

facepalm-head-768x432.jpg

streaming services are just a conglomeration of networks, or a network themselves..

and other than where the streaming service is a network itself, streaming services are beholden to and part of the same monopolistic practices that cable and satellite are.

let us know when you or i can buy just WTTV 4 or WXIN 59 or ESPN or TNT, or any combination of those you chose without having to pay for an entire bundle not of your choosing, and including many thing things you don't want to pay for, on any streaming service.

and if you think that day is coming soon, it isn't, and won't/can't happen absent a govt gun to the head of the services and the networks.

the second one can buy NEXSTAR's WTTV 4 and WXIN 59 as stand alones on any streaming service, the extortion of satellite and cable and You Tube TV customers that's going on now between NEXSTAR, (owner of WTTV/CBS and WXIN/Fox), and Directv/UVerse, ends that instant.
WTTV and WXIN are free with an antenna. You don't have to buy them all you gotta do is get something as cheap as $19.99 (one time payment) to pick up their broadcast.

WTTV and WXIN are free with an antenna. You don't have to buy them all you gotta do is get something as cheap as $19.99 (one time payment) to pick up their broadcast.

good luck picking them up on a $19.95 antenna outside metro Indy.

plus you would have to buy a stand alone DVR to record them.

if WTTV and WXIN wish to sell their channel, i have no problem with that.

but neither i nor anyone else should have to buy 100 other channels i don't want in order to buy WTTV and WXIN.

you literally can't have any more of an abusive monopolistic practice than that.

good luck picking them up on a $19.95 antenna outside metro Indy.

plus you would have to buy a stand alone DVR to record them.

if WTTV and WXIN wish to sell their channel, i have no problem with that.

but neither i nor anyone else should have to buy 100 other channels i don't want in order to buy WTTV and WXIN.

you can't have any more of an abusive monopolistic practice than that.
You don't get it. You don't have to buy any other channels to get WXIN or WTTV. All you have to do is a one time purchase of one (or two) pieces of equipment and then you are ready to go. Just like in the 1950's and 60's when TV took off. Can someone in metro Indy get those channels for as low as $19.99 and a the cost of their TV? Yes. You can get a 200 mile range, outdoor mounted TV antenna for $90 on Amazon.

The stand alone DVR would indicate that the cable companies are including a service that is more than what you can get for free....which you gotta pay for.

You don't get it. You don't have to buy any other channels to get WXIN or WTTV. All you have to do is a one time purchase of one (or two) pieces of equipment and then you are ready to go. Just like in the 1950's and 60's when TV took off. Can someone in metro Indy get those channels for as low as $19.99 and a the cost of their TV? Yes. You can get a 200 mile range, outdoor mounted TV antenna for $90 on Amazon.

The stand alone DVR would indicate that the cable companies are including a service that is more than what you can get for free....which you gotta pay for.
Anyone else have one of these in the house growing up?

20190125_122959-416x365-1.jpg

digital signals don't travel as well as analog signals did, and broadcasters have auctioned off a lot of their bandwidth.

you're not getting Indy stations in Btown with a $20 or a $90 antenna.

and the second you buy that $90 antenna, WTTV and WXIN do a deal with the provider that forces you to pay more for each than what you used to pay for HBO, which want to or not you will be forced to pay to get anything else, even if you put up a $15,000 tower with amplifiers.

the total idiocracy in this discussion is beyond belief.

there is nothing in the monopoly pay tv bundle that should ever be legal, nor is legal anywhere else in any other industry.

this is simply a case of the pay tv industry paying off the politicians and regulators to literally screw the American household out of an extra $100 mo, every month of their life going forward.

or totally do without a utility, that use to cost $6.95 mo.

and the politicians and regulators letting them.

digital signals don't travel as well as analog signals did, and broadcasters have auctioned off a lot of their bandwidth.
So the cable companies have improved on what is available for free and that comes at a cost. You don't like the quality of the "free" but you don't want to pay for the upgraded service either.
you're not getting Indy stations in Btown with a $20 or a $90 antenna.
Anybody with a long range antenna in B-Town that can shed light on that? The $90 ones on Amazon say 200 miles. Noblesville to Bloomington is less than 100 miles. Noblesville tends to be one of the more northernmost Indy suburbs and I know there is a small local channel in town. That area should encompass all the TV stations that broadcast out of Indianapolis.
and the second you buy that $90 antenna, WTTV and WXIN do a deal with the provider that forces you to pay more for each than what you used to pay for HBO, which want to or not you will be forced to pay to get anything else, even if you put up a $15,000 tower with amplifiers.
If you want those channels and don't want to pay the provider, you have them with the antenna. You don't need the provider at that point. Where you do need the provider is in all of the other channels you want but don't necessarily need. You aren't forced to buy, you choose to.
the total idiocracy in this discussion is beyond belief.
I agree.
there is nothing in the monopoly pay tv bundle that should ever be legal, nor is legal anywhere else in any other industry.
Disagree on both points.
this is simply a case of the pay tv industry paying off the politicians and regulators to literally screw the American household out of an extra $100 mo, every month of their life going forward.
Again, you choose to be screwed because you buy a product you don't have to have but want to have. When I have something people wamt, they have to give up something (money) to get it. Welcome to commerce. It has been this way since people learned how to trade.
or totally do without a utility, that use to cost $6.95 mo.
You are getting there. When you have the hardware you have options outside of cable. You can do without if you don't like paying them.
and the politicians and regulators letting them.
Many of your favorite channels would likely not exist in your world. We would be back to NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, and PBS. You would get less content directed at a larger audience.

So the cable companies have improved on what is available for free and that comes at a cost. You don't like the quality of the "free" but you don't want to pay for the upgraded service either.

Anybody with a long range antenna in B-Town that can shed light on that? The $90 ones on Amazon say 200 miles. Noblesville to Bloomington is less than 100 miles. Noblesville tends to be one of the more northernmost Indy suburbs and I know there is a small local channel in town. That area should encompass all the TV stations that broadcast out of Indianapolis.

If you want those channels and don't want to pay the provider, you have them with the antenna. You don't need the provider at that point. Where you do need the provider is in all of the other channels you want but don't necessarily need. You aren't forced to buy, you choose to.

I agree.

Disagree on both points.

Again, you choose to be screwed because you buy a product you don't have to have but want to have. When I have something people wamt, they have to give up something (money) to get it. Welcome to commerce. It has been this way since people learned how to trade.

You are getting there. When you have the hardware you have options outside of cable. You can do without if you don't like paying them.

Many of your favorite channels would likely not exist in your world. We would be back to NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, and PBS. You would get less content directed at a larger audience.

posting must be so much easier when you can comfortably lie your ass off about everything you say.

when cable was $7-$10 mo you got pretty much everything you do now other than BTN.

for some reason your post wouldn't quote in full.

i stated that the monopoly bundle should not be legal, and isn't legal anywhere else.

you said you disagreed on both accounts.

so in what other industry is it legal? (good luck with that).

why should it be legal in the pay tv industry? (good luck with that).

in no situation should someone have to buy 50 things they don't want in order to purchase 1 thing they want or even need to buy.

let alone in what's basically a utility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT