ADVERTISEMENT

Mullet Man Mayer to IL

I pastored in North Central Illinois for six years. I've always said they are the most excited fans who have not won much. They really do love their teams.
I've lived in Illinois for 30 years now. Same crap every year. Last year I worked with so many guys that thought the football team would be great. Then basketball was the same thing only to get bounced again first weekend. 2005 is a long time ago boys since your last sweet 16.

You should be grateful for our dusty banners. The conference has 10 NCAA titles and 5 of them have our name on them.

I've lived in Illinois for 30 years now. Same crap every year. Last year I worked with so many guys that thought the football team would be great. Then basketball was the same thing only to get bounced again first weekend. 2005 is a long time ago boys since your last sweet 16.

You should be grateful for our dusty banners. The conference has 10 NCAA titles and 5 of them have our name on them.
the B1G as a whole hasn’t carried their weight.

With the pickup of Matthew Mayer, Illinois now has the #1 transfer class and is also ranked 1st in overall transfer activity at http://EvanMiya.com. They have acquired:
Matthew Mayer (ranked #1)
Terrence Shannon (#4)
Dain Dainja (#121)

In addition to a 5-star point guard who decommited from Kentucky, the Illini have the #1 player from North Carolina, the #1 player from Ohio, and the # 1 player in 2021 in Michigan as a Junior who was the #1 ranked player in Illinois in 2022.

Reason to be optimistic?
247 has Mayer at #14, Shannon at #22, and Dainia at #27. Those rankings are, imo, much better than those you cite........unless you think Race Thompson would have been a #1-3 tr
ANY amount?
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

😂 How about $2.2 million mr anonymous internet poster?

Why don't you take him up on it rather than being a smartass? Some trusted poster on here can can get both of your names and #s, and the amount bet can be made public on here.

I'm sure $9999 will be enough for you. Stop talking out the ass and set the amount. Name some poster on this board to collect the contact information.
We already know Sean, and he isn't going anywhere. Illinisloppy needs to pm his info in confidence to one of us. or better yet, pm it to Sean and let the bet roll.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
the B1G as a whole hasn’t carried their weight.
I'm 66 and ever since I was 10 people spoke about Illinois as a "sleeping giant" in college basketball. Actually in football as well, but that stopped about 25 years ago for good.

Anyway, I see now that Jacob Grandison has taken his name out of the draft and presumably (?) will be returning to Illinois.

They'll have a very nice roster next year:

Vets:

Luke Goode 6'6"
Jacob Grandison 6'7"
Courtney Hawkins 6'10"
RJ Melendez 6'7"

Transfers:

Matt Mayer 6'9"
Terrance Shannon 6'6"
Dain Dainja 6'10"

Freshman:

Skyy Clark 6'2"
Ty Rogers 6'6"
Jayden Epps 6'2"
Sencire Harris 6'7"

Interesting to compare to IU's:

Vets:

TJD 6'9"
Race Thompson 6'8"
Xavier Johnson 6'3"
Trey Galloway 6'4"
Anthony Leal 6'5"
Jordan Geronimo 6'6"
Tamar Bates 6'4"
Miller Kopp 6'7"
Logan Duncomb 6'9"

Freshman:

Jalen Hood-Schifino 6'5"
Malik Reneau 6'8"
Kaleb Banks 6'8"
CJ Gunn 6'5"

Although both rosters are talented, IU has an edge in AA TJD at center and the very talented X at PG. Additionally, JHS is an exceptional freshman in terms of maturity/leadership and sheer size/strength.

With 7 new faces Illinois may struggle early in the year and be on the upswing late. Hopefully, by the time the tourney comes around IU will have a 1-3 seed. Illinois might have a 4-6 seed,

Hard to tell yet where both teams finish in the BT. To me, it looks like both will finish between 1st & 4th, with Purdue & Michigan being the other two. Purdue badly needs a transfer PG. Michigan's roster has not yet been finalized, so picking 1-4 now is premature.

I'm 66 and ever since I was 10 people spoke about Illinois as a "sleeping giant" in college basketball. Actually in football as well, but that stopped about 25 years ago for good.

Anyway, I see now that Jacob Grandison has taken his name out of the draft and presumably (?) will be returning to Illinois.

Vets:

Luke Goode 6'6"
Jacob Grandison 6'7"
Courtney Hawkins 6'10"
RJ Melendez 6'7"

Transfers:

Matt Mayer 6'9"
Terrance Shannon 6'6"
Dain Dainja 6'10"

Freshman:

Skyy Clark 6'2"
Ty Rogers 6'6"
Jayden Epps 6'2"
Sencire Harris 6'7"

Vets:

TJD 6'9"
Race Thompson 6'8"
Xavier Johnson 6'3"
Trey Galloway 6'4"
Anthony Leal 6'5"
Jordan Geronimo 6'6"
Tamar Bates 6'4"
Miller Kopp 6'7"
Logan Duncomb 6'9"

Freshman:

Jalen Hood-Schifino 6'5"
Malik Reneau 6'8"
Kaleb Banks 6'8"
CJ Gunn 6'5"

Although both rosters are talented, IU has an edge in AA TJD at center and the very talented X at PG. Additionally, JHS is an exceptional freshman in terms of maturity/leadership and sheer size/strength.

With 7 new faces Illinois may struggle early in the year and be on the upswing late. Hopefully, by the time the tourney comes around IU will have a 1-3 seed. Illinois might have a 4-6 seed,

Hard to tell yet where both teams finish in the BT. To me, it looks like both will finish between 1st & 4th, with Purdue & Michigan being the other two. Purdue badly needs a transfer PG. Michigan's roster has not yet been finalized, so picking 1-4 now is premature.
Grandinson is not going back to Illinois.

Vets:

Luke Goode 6'6"
Jacob Grandison 6'7"
Courtney Hawkins 6'10"
RJ Melendez 6'7"

Transfers:

Matt Mayer 6'9"
Terrance Shannon 6'6"
Dain Dainja 6'10"

Freshman:

Skyy Clark 6'2"
Ty Rogers 6'6"
Jayden Epps 6'2"
Sencire Harris 6'7"

Vets:

TJD 6'9"
Race Thompson 6'8"
Xavier Johnson 6'3"
Trey Galloway 6'4"
Anthony Leal 6'5"
Jordan Geronimo 6'6"
Tamar Bates 6'4"
Miller Kopp 6'7"
Logan Duncomb 6'9"

Freshman:

Jalen Hood-Schifino 6'5"
Malik Reneau 6'8"
Kaleb Banks 6'8"
CJ Gunn 6'5"

The top 5-6 could be interchangeable by season end. Michigan, IU, Michigan st, Ohio state, and PU will all be in the top 25 or just outside. Illinois has pieces but still unknown. Guards will be the difference. IU is situated pretty well in that department.

I pastored in North Central Illinois for six years. I've always said they are the most excited fans who have not won much. They really do love their teams.
lol We are definitely die hard fans. And have been a sleeping giant for the longest time . We just haven't made much stability but it seems we have that now with Coach Underwood which has us pretty excited.

Illinois has had a lot of success and have had some great teams. Kudos to them. However Illinois desperate need for someone to give them props is tiring.
I can only speak for myself but I'm definitely not "desperate" for anyone to give Illinois props lol just like talking hoops

247 has Mayer at #14, Shannon at #22, and Dainia at #27. Those rankings are, imo, much better than those you cite........unless you think Race Thompson would have been a #1-3 tr

Why don't you take him up on it rather than being a smartass? Some trusted poster on here can can get both of your names and #s, and the amount bet can be made public on here.
jfc I was just joking around. Also, I don't gamble. No need to try & attempt to doxx me and find my name and phone number. and hone address ****ing weirdo

jfc I was just joking around. Also, I don't gamble. No need to try & attempt to doxx me and find my name and phone number. and hone address ****ing weirdo
Are you willing to acknowledge that Mayer and Race Thompson are very similar?

We already know Sean, and he isn't going anywhere. Illinisloppy needs to pm his info in confidence to one of us. or better yet, pm it to Sean and let the bet roll.
Relax. When I said $2.2 million I was obviously kidding. I don't gamble ...ever. Good for whoever Sean is on being a compulsive gambling addict I guess? lol
Are you willing to acknowledge that Mayer and Race Thompson are very similar?
Absolutely . I never said they weren't.

Illinois has zero national championship banners (at the moment lol) but boy oh boy do I hope we finally win one sometime hopefully soon!

Just curious, did you actually graduate from IU? Because I actually graduated from Illinois in the mid 2000s and was lucky to witness a lot of good to great Illinois teams. What I'm trying to get across to you is how long ago the 2000s were. That is damn long ago to a lot of us Millennials born in the 80s and early 90s. Its damn near ancient history to kids born in the 2000s (whatever the **** they are called Gen Z or some shit lol) In short, IU's banners that happened before I was even born don't impress at all. But I'm happy that you still have fond memories of IU being elite 40 years ago
Proud 1993 IU grad. Saw 3 sweet 16’s, 2 elite 8’s, one FF my four years There. May be ancient history to you but when has Illinois EVER had that kind of run??

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You guys have not been to Sweet 16 since 2005. We have 3 trips since then. Even our down period is better than your down period.
lol no argument from me that Illinois basketball has been mismanaged for quite some time (that has been the point I've been trying to make to you IU fans from the beginning)
You would think you guys would know all about that considering you guys had so many bad years under Mike Davis, Crean and Archie Miller.

We know one thing about you.....you're a pussy. You're right that we don't need to know more.
I'm a pussy because I don't gamble on sports? lol thats cool that whoever Sean is makes his money gambling on sports. seems like a pretty risky/desperate habit to me but good for him I guess.
and lmao at someone that goes by the name "mushroomgod" calling anyone a pussy 😂

Relax. When I said $2.2 million I was obviously kidding. I don't gamble ...ever. Good for whoever Sean is on being a compulsive gambling addict I guess? lol

Absolutely . I never said they weren't.
So you lost basically all of your production from last year, and the best player you added is comparable to Race Thompson, yet you think you are the team to beat in the Big Ten still? Makes sense.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
The top 5-6 could be interchangeable by season end. Michigan, IU, Michigan st, Ohio state, and PU will all be in the top 25 or just outside. Illinois has pieces but still unknown. Guards will be the difference. IU is situated pretty well in that department.

I don't really see OSU hanging with the other 4 (absent injuries). Let's look at their roster:

Vets:

J. Sueing 6'7"
S. Towns 6'8"
Z. Key 6'9"
E. Brown 6'6"
K. Etzler 6'8"

Transfers:

I. Likekele 6'4"
S. McNeil 6'4"
T. Holden 6'6"

Freshman:

B. Sensabaugh 6'6" (#60)
F. Okpara 6'11" (#57)
B. Thornton (#42)
R. Gayle Jr. (#41)
B. Hardman (#301)

OSU is very similar to Illinois in that they mostly have only role players back, although Key is obviously capable. Illinois has the advantage there with Hawkins, Melendez, Goode, and Grandison, if he comes back.

They both had very nice recruiting classes. (For sake of comparison, Clark #30, Rogers #48, Epps #67, Sencire #106 at Ill) OSU also has capable transfers coming in, but not as good as Illinois. It's easier to project a starting 5 for Illinois than for OSU.

The key to them being as good as Illinois is if Sueing & Towns can bring more to the table than they have so far. Both have had pretty severe injuries.

Isn't it just like Purdue that they can't get a transfer PG? I believe right now they're down to Ramey as a transfer prospect, and there's no indication they're really in on him. If they get no one they're looking at 6'0" 165" lbs Braden Smith, Morton, or freshman Loyer as the starting pg. Ouch. And I really liked Smith...I was an advocate for him.......but not as a freshman starter. Loyer's damn good, but he's a 2 guard, right? PG by committee? Mitch D. just spoke out strongly against the NIL system, btw.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
So you lost basically all of your production from last year, and the best player you added is comparable to Race Thompson, yet you think you are the team to beat in the Big Ten still? Makes sense.
We reloaded with stud transfers ( G Terrance Shannon, stud transfers from Baylor in PF Dain Dainja AND Mayer and stud freshmen (it might be a bit rocky at the start but I am confident in them as the season goes on) and I look for returning players Coleman Hawkins and RJ Melendez to take the steps in improving their game to the next level. RJ Melendez didn't play much due to his injuries, watch out for him because he's a great shooter.

Also I like our 5 star stud PG Skyy Clark going up against your 5th year senior **** up Xavier Johnson. Isn't he also your guys' team captain? lol better hope he doesn't get arrested again.

We reloaded with stud transfers ( G Terrance Shannon, stud transfers from Baylor in PF Dain Dainja AND Mayer and stud freshmen (it might be a bit rocky at the start but I am confident in them as the season goes on) and I look for returning players Coleman Hawkins and RJ Melendez to take the steps in improving their game to the next level. RJ Melendez didn't play much due to his injuries, watch out for him because he's a great shooter.

Also I like our 5 star stud PG Skyy Clark going up against your 5th year senior **** up Xavier Johnson. Isn't he also your guys' team captain? lol better hope he doesn't get arrested again.
The arrest thing is overplayed and hyped. If you want to have a discussion then have it. My money is on a physical veteran over a newly minted 5*. How much? Won’t know until they play. I wouldn’t say you reloaded. They are nice players but let’s not act like they are ready to make a final 4 run. Hell I think the B1G overall ceiling is probably sweet 16 type seasons.

Stud transfers? You have already admitted your best player is comparable to Race Thompson. Shannon is essentially just a replacement for Grandinson (look at the stats). Dainja is just not very good. He will be Omar Payne 2.0. This will be his 3rd year in college basketball and he's played a total of 9 minutes.

You are expecting huge jumps from Melendez and Goode, yet you aren't expecting similar jumps from IU's returning players? Eventually you will get it through your head that you lost 87% of your scoring, 85% of your assists, 82% of your rebounding, 81% of your steals, and 76% of your blocked shots.

Sky Clark is your savior at guard? The same guy that backed up our incoming PG in high school? LOL makes sense.

BTW, Xavier Johnson is not a captain, but he is better than any guard you have.

The arrest thing is overplayed and hyped. If you want to have a discussion then have it. My money is on a physical veteran over a newly minted 5*. How much? Won’t know until they play. I wouldn’t say you reloaded. They are nice players but let’s not act like they are ready to make a final 4 run. Hell I think the B1G overall ceiling is probably sweet 16 type seasons.
Just a point of clarification, Clark is not ranked as a 5* on any recruiting service. He's just a 4*.

Proud 1993 IU grad. Saw 3 sweet 16’s, 2 elite 8’s, one FF my four years There. May be ancient history to you but when has Illinois EVER had that kind of run??

Illinois has 5 FFs in its history, and easily could have had 2-4 NCs.

The '42-43 "Whiz kids" were 17-1 and the best team in the country with the NP of the Y in Andy Phillip. The team was broken up by WW2 and didn't even end up playing in the ncaa. Interestingly, IU was the 2nd best team in the BT that year at 12-2 and 18-2 overall. Ralph Hamilton was IU's best player, The 2 teams did not play that year.

In 1988-89 the 'Flyin 'Illini' were rated #3 and lost the BT title to #8 IU with Jay Edwards, and the NC game to #10 Michigan with R. Robinson & Glen Rice. I loved watching that team--Battle/Anderson/Bardo/Gill.

The 1950-51 Illinois team was ranked #5 and lost to #1 UK 76-74 in the FF. #7 IU and Bill Garrett were 2nd in the BT that year at 12-2 and 19-3.

1951-52 Illinois was ranked #2 at 22-4 but lost to #10 St John's by 2 pts in the FF. Their best player was Red Kerr, one of the best BT players of the '50s.

The 1948-49 Illinois team was ranked #4 with a 21-4 record overall and 21-2 in the BT. They got crushed by #1 UK in the FF. The 2004-05 team was ranked #13 and lost to #1 Duke by 11 the final game.

You're a moron as well as a pussy.

X is a wild card, no doubt. But if he stays out of jail he'll have freshman Clark for lunch.

Hawkins is ok, but has a fairly low ceiling.

Illinois will have some nice talent, but I don't see a dominant player on the roster. Plenty of depth and talent, but no stud.

Illinois has 5 FFs in its history, and easily could have had 2-4 NCs.

The '42-43 "Whiz kids" were 17-1 and the best team in the country with the NP of the Y in Andy Phillip. The team was broken up by WW2 and didn't even end up playing in the ncaa. Interestingly, IU was the 2nd best team in the BT that year at 12-2 and 18-2 overall. Ralph Hamilton was IU's best player, The 2 teams did not play that year.

In 1988-89 the 'Flyin 'Illini' were rated #3 and lost the BT title to #8 IU with Jay Edwards, and the NC game to #10 Michigan with R. Robinson & Glen Rice. I loved watching that team--Battle/Anderson/Bardo/Gill.

The 1950-51 Illinois team was ranked #5 and lost to #1 UK 76-74 in the FF. #7 IU and Bill Garrett were 2nd in the BT that year at 12-2 and 19-3.

1951-52 Illinois was ranked #2 at 22-4 but lost to #10 St John's by 2 pts in the FF. Their best player was Red Kerr, one of the best BT players of the '50s.

The 1948-49 Illinois team was ranked #4 with a 21-4 record overall and 21-2 in the BT. They got crushed by #1 UK in the FF. The 2004-05 team was ranked #13 and lost to #1 Duke by 11 the final game.
coulda woulda shoulda... they have ZERO... Thanks for proving my point

coulda woulda shoulda... they have ZERO... Thanks for proving my point

Illinois & Purdue both have fine bball history, but have always been left at the alter. Although they've gotten 1, OSU should have had at least 2 with that Lucas/Havlecek team alone. Perhaps #s 1,2 & 3 all-time when looking at disappointed NC aspirations.

Illinois & Purdue both have fine bball history, but have always been left at the alter. Although they've gotten 1, OSU should have had at least 2 with that Lucas/Havlecek team alone. Perhaps #s 1,2 & 3 all-time when looking at disappointed NC aspirations.
Matta should’ve had 2.

Thing is.......Purdue's had the most embarrassing losses overall, but unlike Illinois & OSU it's hard to point to specific seasons and say they SHOULD have won the NC.....only that they COULD have won one by now.

The Oden & Conley year......what was the 2nd?

ok, I see the 2010-11 team with Sullinger, D. Thomas et al.....that was a loaded team, no doubt. And ranked #1 going into the tourney.

That '05 team with Oden & Conley was also ranked #1, but they were true freshmen, and the supporting cast in retrospect doesn't look that strong. But, they could/shouda won anyway.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Thing is.......Purdue's had the most embarrassing losses overall, but unlike Illinois & OSU it's hard to point to specific seasons and say they SHOULD have won the NC.....only that they COULD have won one by now.

Robinson's team his JR year got to #3 in the polls. Robinson and C. Martin were crazy good, but the rest of the roster was less than great.

I think Robinson that JR year might have been one of the 5 best BT bball plates ever. My question for the NBA guys on here......why wasn't he a dominant NBA player?

The sullenger years. Pick the year. They had 3 top 5 classes. 2010-2011 they had Craft, Sullenger and Thomas. They underperformed. Won the B1G ten and #1 I believe.
Looking at those years, they probably over-performed in '10-11, and under-performed in '11-12. I say that because Sullinger, Thomas & Craft were all freshmen on 2011-12, and the team went 34-3, although they lost to a #11 UK team in the tourney. Beford & Lighty were the other two starters--nice role players.

But in 2011-12, they went 31-8 still having Sullinger, Thomas, Bedford & Craft. Lenzelle Smith was the 5th starter. Maybe someone got hurt that year? Can't recall. By 2012-13 Sullinger & Buford were gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT