ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Maybe we did, can you remind me how either Trump and or the deep state killed him so I can recall the context?
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Maybe we did, can you remind me how either Trump and or the deep state killed him so I can recall the context?
Can you imagine if that had been the actual intent? Like the director did a whole hidden Stanley Kubrick film inside a modern day blockbuster? That would be a masterpiece.

What is the last film that you would call a true masterpiece? I'd have to say No Country for Old Men in 2007. Been a long time.

Here are some lists where people try to compile the best movies of the 21st Century. I have some work to do this winter catching up. I haven't seen many of them:

Last edited:
Can you imagine if that had been the actual intent? Like the director did a whole hidden Stanley Kubrick film inside a modern day blockbuster? That would be a masterpiece.

What is the last film that you would call a true masterpiece? I'd have to say No Country for Old Men in 2007. Been a long time.

Here are some lists where people try to compile the best movies of the 21st Century. I have some work to do this winter catching up. I haven't seen many of them:

Mulholland Drive #1?

I can see it but, like most of Lynch’s stuff, you gotta be in a certain mood for it.

Mulholland Drive #1?

I can see it but, like most of Lynch’s stuff, you gotta be in a certain mood for it.
I’d have No Country. Can’t believe some of these lists don’t even have it as the best Coen bros movie of this century.

Reactions: larsIU

If he had done that he would have won an Oscar and been blackballed for killing off a franchise.

I think I would go with Lincoln as the last masterpiece. One of the best acting performances of our time gives it a start to it, then add in it is both entertaining and educational.

I almost have Dune on the list. I found the 1st book to be very hard to get through and kept wondering why it was a classic. The movie flowed far better, but wasn't quite good enough. A movie better than what is called a classic novel deserves consideration though. I think most lists undervalue sci fi both in movies (and books). It seems people stop at 2001 when it comes to "masterpiece".

Those lists both have some crazy things. One has No Country in the 80s. I don't know I love it as much as you, but it is well above that.

The other list has Spring Breakers #19. There is no bigger fan of watching Gomez then me, but even that cannot raise such a bad movie. Though she now gets to play Ronstadt, two of my most beautiful list people. Linda just had a much better voice

It’s got to be There Will be Blood right? I love No Country but There Will be Blood is an epic.
I think No Country is better. There Will Be Blood is awesome, but it is uneven. I don't think there is a bad scene or acting job in NCFOM.

I would like to see Tarantino take a shot at something like Blood Meridian, with limited dialogue. It would be fascinating to see him just focus on the structure of the scenes and the cinematography, etc.
It’s been so long since I’ve read those but cormac’s books were very heavy then. Stilted language etc. epic. Some of my all time favorites. But maybe they don’t lend themselves to movies. I don’t know

It’s been so long since I’ve read those but cormac’s books were very heavy then. Stilted language etc. epic. Some of my all time favorites. But maybe they don’t lend themselves to movies. I don’t know
I agree re his language. They make them tough reads.

But if you make a movie of it, you don’t include all the paragraphs of description of rock formations and deserts. Instead, you focus on the brutality of the plot and characters, and try to capture the mood of McCarthy’s language with the cinematography.

I think the Breaking Bad guy could make an interesting mini series of it, too. Best question: who plays the Judge?

I agree re his language. They make them tough reads.

But if you make a movie of it, you don’t include all the paragraphs of description of rock formations and deserts. Instead, you focus on the brutality of the plot and characters, and try to capture the mood of McCarthy’s language with the cinematography.

I think the Breaking Bad guy could make an interesting mini series of it, too. Best question: who plays the Judge?
Hilarious re rock formations. You need a dictionary as you go. That would be amazing!!! You know lonesome dove series is my favorite of all time. And when I saw it was going to be a mini series with Ricky Schroeder I thought oh god this is pure evil. Readers should file an injunction. But honestly it was pretty damn good!

Reactions: BradStevens
I would like to see Tarantino take a shot at something like Blood Meridian, with limited dialogue. It would be fascinating to see him just focus on the structure of the scenes and the cinematography, etc.
Tarantino only has one movie left. He said he'd do 10. He's done 9.

And Once Upon a Time was supposed to be his love letter to hollywood. So the 10th......anybody's guess what direction he goes.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Hat tip to @jet812

There is a podcast called The Big Picture from which I get this kind of stuff . QT is a friend of the program & has been on a couple of times. He does a movie draft that is really fun, but if you’re going to listen, do a few of the other drafts first so you get the format & get to know the hosts a little bit.

There is a podcast called The Big Picture from which I get this kind of stuff . QT is a friend of the program & has been on a couple of times. He does a movie draft that is really fun, but if you’re going to listen, do a few of the other drafts first so you get the format & get to know the hosts a little bit.
You a Sean or Chris guy?

Time for my year end movie reviews. This is when the best ones come out and I generally see the Oscar nominated ones ( or likely to be) in a few weeks. I know not many of you go to the theater often, but they come so quickly to streaming now. Here is what I’ve seen in the last two weeks, in order from best to not as good. Everything was well done, and I continue to think this was a very strong year in movies. Whether anything will be considered a masterpiece? Not sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
Tier 1 Poor Things ( my fav but some people will hate it. Emma Stone is masterful .
Tier 2. Boys in Boat , American Fiction Iron Claw, Maestron
Tier 3 but still really good Color Purple, Strangers Like Us, Anatomy of a Fall, Saltburn. ( last two streaming now)
After seeing all these my favorites of the year:
Holdovers Oppenheimer , Killers of the Flower Moon ( on Apple) Poor Things
Tier below : Barbie
I remember a couple years ago, every single movie was a biography or a remake. This year, there are tons of extremely creative movies. Warning: Saltburn and Poor Things not for everyone. I enjoyed watching Holdovers more than any of the others.

The TV Academy listed the 75bmost impactful TV events. It is a very good list, moon landing, 2001, Beatles and Elvis on Sullivan.

Most of the shoes chosen are iconic, MASH and Newhart finales, Chuckles the Clown, Archie kisses Sammy.

If you look at the list, #46 is genius.

The TV Academy listed the 75bmost impactful TV events. It is a very good list, moon landing, 2001, Beatles and Elvis on Sullivan.

Most of the shoes chosen are iconic, MASH and Newhart finales, Chuckles the Clown, Archie kisses Sammy.

Pretty good list

Love that list. I’d switch Obama’s speech to the one at the convention 4 years before. No one knew who he was before that. It launched his presidency.

Reactions: UncleMark
Love that list. I’d switch Obama’s speech to the one at the convention 4 years before. No one knew who he was before that. It launched his presidency.
A close e-friend of mine emailed me that night with "I've seen the future."

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Anyone see the first episode of the new True Detective? I love the Alaskan setting, super spooky. The Louisiana backdrop is part of what made the first season so great, also spooky.

Two female leads, because of course there is in the state with by far the largest male: female ratio in the country. However, Jodie Foster is a power house. I was wondering why her character felt so familiar and then I remembered, she starred in one of the best detective/ investigator roles of all time, Silence of the Lambs.

First episode was good.

Last edited:
Anyone see the first episode of the new True Detective? I love the Alaskan setting, super spooky. The Louisiana backdrop is part of what made the first season so great, also spooky.

Two female leads, because of course there is in the state with by far the largest male: female ratio in the country. However, Jodie Foster is a power house. I was wondering why her character felt so familiar and then I remembered, she starred in one of the best detective/ investigator roles of all time, Silence of the Lambs.

First episode was good.
Agreed. Only concern is they go wayyyy too far into the supernatural. Some of the conspiracy theories online already are pretty good, including one about Rust Cohle's daddy.

First episode was good.
I will watch. Might wait for them to all drop so I can binge them.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Goddammit. I just learned they are doing a BSG reboot. Why can't anyone ever leave well enough alone?

@T.M.P.
I'll give it a chance .. it has to be better than what's currently out there for sci-fi or fantasy. lol I'm so naïve sometimes. It will undoubtedly suck.

Expanse started slow, picked up a bit and then just bored everyone into apathy. I refuse to watch anything LotR related that was Fran Walsh involved, and especially hate the Adventures of Elvish Presley by Amazon.. that show is a complete POS.

When BSG first came out I hated it. The sets looked cheesy and I just couldn't get into it. Gave it a second chance when I could binge watch it, instead going week by week and I just got it ..

fwiw - to me, it's one of the best submarine, aircraft carrier, fighter pilot, exploration shows ever made.. plus Baltar is such a unique character.

Agreed. Only concern is they go wayyyy too far into the supernatural. Some of the conspiracy theories online already are pretty good, including one about Rust Cohle's daddy.
You nailed it with the supernatural. "Ghosts everywhere". 2nd ep was meh. This show is in danger of veering woke. Lesbians everywhere, the indigenous people are not treated well enough, who runs the world? Girls. No depictions of healthy nuclear families.

Just realized they have a new show runner, Pizzolatto out, some lady named Issa Lopez in.

You nailed it with the supernatural. "Ghosts everywhere". 2nd ep was meh. This show is in danger of veering woke. Lesbians everywhere, the indigenous people are not treated well enough, who runs the world? Girls. No depictions of healthy nuclear families.

Just realized they have a new show runner, Pizzolatto out, some lady named Issa Lopez in.
Issa Lopez isn't bad per se, but I think that considering the direction they're going Pizzolatto should have done it.

Diaglogue is wooden. We'll see how they tie this whole thing together. Still has potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT