ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

I’ll say it again - if you’re not watching World On Fire on PBS you are missing out on incredible TV.

Killer was great.
Thought how he set up the killer as a perfectionist but then he just kept fvcking up was hilarious. Sound design was awesome, like how you were brought from outside to “inside” the earbuds when it goes to his POV on How Soon Is Now. Really fun movie…as Fincher movies always are…

Reactions: larsIU and Cortez88
Any other Fincher fans here? Watched The Killer last night. I’m still processing it.
Watched last night. Ditto what everyone else said. Fassbender’s voice is so creepy on the narrative. He is one of those really good actors I could pass on the street and still not recognize him.

For Zeke: for a really well written book with deep themes relevant to some of these guilt/appeasement issues between tribes of people (white/black, Israeli/Palestinians), check out Disgrace by JM Coetzee.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Tonight’s season finale of Wold on Fire is one of the finest hours of television I have ever seen. Absolutely brilliant. Just extraordinary.

That was a helluva fist fight
I watched it last night. Enjoyed it. I can watch really obsessive killers for hours and find it interesting how they plan stuff out, etc.

I think I missed some of the irony of his character's inner dialogue and his actions. I didn't find anything very amusing, just interesting. Maybe I should rewatch with that in mind.

From the beginning, though, I kinda wanted to see the whole movie filmed just from that Parisian WeWork space with him spying on the neighborhood--a hitman version of Rear Window, if you will--where a mystery is baked in. That was a gorgeous setting and that movie could have been very interesting, especially with the overlay of the assassin's inner dialogue.

I watched on Netflix on my laptop with headphones on. That movie was made to be listened to with headphones, I think (even if Fincher might not realize that) but probably should have been watched on a big screen. Movie theaters should add that as an option, by the way. Some movies are so much better, more intimate, when listened to with headphones.

Reactions: larsIU
I watched it last night. Enjoyed it. I can watch really obsessive killers for hours and find it interesting how they plan stuff out, etc.

I think I missed some of the irony of his character's inner dialogue and his actions. I didn't find anything very amusing, just interesting. Maybe I should rewatch with that in mind.

From the beginning, though, I kinda wanted to see the whole movie filmed just from that Parisian WeWork space with him spying on the neighborhood--a hitman version of Rear Window, if you will--where a mystery is baked in. That was a gorgeous setting and that movie could have been very interesting, especially with the overlay of the assassin's inner dialogue.

I watched on Netflix on my laptop with headphones on. That movie was made to be listened to with headphones, I think (even if Fincher might not realize that) but probably should have been watched on a big screen. Movie theaters should add that as an option, by the way. Some movies are so much better, more intimate, when listened to with headphones.
I've never done the headphones but willing to try. I couldn't go with a small screen like a laptop though, I think it hurts the visual experience. Loved the setting as he waited for his prey in the hollowed out condo but I thought it needed a little more action after a period of time and we got it with that bike escape through Paris. Planning his unique comings and goings was the best part for me.

Reactions: BradStevens
Has anyone seen Napoleon yet? A couple people in a military history group said they walked out because of mistakes (Napoleon leading the attack at Austerlitz being one). I get why they hate it, I just care less about such absurdities as long as the jest is accurate.

Has anyone seen Napoleon yet? A couple people in a military history group said they walked out because of mistakes (Napoleon leading the attack at Austerlitz being one). I get why they hate it, I just care less about such absurdities as long as the jest is accurate.
I want to see it, mostly because of the casting. If I were writing a Napoleon screenplay, I'd definitely do it with Phoenix in mind.

Too short.
Sarcastic Not Funny GIF by CBS

Just finished the 8-episode Fall of the Aztecs on The Rest is History podcast, and it's really, really good (so much so that I also just bought the book Fifth Sun by Camilla Townsend). I was amazed at how little I knew about the Aztecs and Cortes. The Rest is History is a great podcast, including their episodes on American history, even though they are Brits. I especially liked their recent 3-parter on the American Revolution, as some of it was from the British perspective. And, if you're into WWII, their sort of counterpart podcast We Have Ways of Making You Talk is also great. (Tom Holland is on TRH and is brother James Holland is on WHW.)

Amazon product ASIN 0197577660

Just finished the 8-episode Fall of the Aztecs on The Rest is History podcast, and it's really, really good (so much so that I also just bought the book Fifth Sun by Camilla Townsend). I was amazed at how little I knew about the Aztecs and Cortes. The Rest is History is a great podcast, including their episodes on American history, even though they are Brits. I especially liked their recent 3-parter on the American Revolution, as some of it was from the British perspective. And, if you're into WWII, their sort of counterpart podcast We Have Ways of Making You Talk is also great. (Tom Holland is on TRH and is brother James Holland is on WHW.)

I just finished it too. It's great. I think I might like the Rest is History more than Hardcore History now, although I still love Carlin.

I've now purchased two Tom Holland books and nearly all the Sandbrook books for kids so my son can actually learn some history that his school refuses to teach him.

@Noodle , are you a club member? I got mentioned on one of the bonus episodes!

Reactions: Noodle
I just finished it too. It's great. I think I might like the Rest is History more than Hardcore History now, although I still love Carlin.

I've now purchased two Tom Holland books and nearly all the Sandbrook books for kids so my son can actually learn some history that his school refuses to teach him.

@Noodle , are you a club member? I got mentioned on one of the bonus episodes!
I am not, but I bought my sister a membership last year for Christmas. She ended up becoming such a fan that she went to one of their shows.

Reactions: BradStevens
I just finished "A City on Mars" detailing the difficulties in humans moving out to space (be in the moon, space stations, Mars). I love Zach Weinersmith's SMBC Comic, and the book contains some of his humor in he book (one lunar settlement is called Muskow).

Bottom line, the Weinersmiths believe in a future space program that develops settlements but they posit that we aren't nearly as close as Musk and others believe. Aside from the numerous technical challenges, they suggest space settler fans just pay no attention to the social and legal issues. The Weinersmiths believe that the space settlement community is big in assuming space will make humans behave. This is interesting given they see most of the people behind pushing space settlement are libertarians who want to create an American Wild West which they believe is what made America great.

They raise a lot of interesting points on the research we should be doing but aren't (can humans have kids in space? Can said kids ever come back to earth? These are two huge questions of many that need to be answered but there is almost no research ongoing). Also, as they often point out, the other planets and space itself really wants humans dead. They briefly touch on things like terrorism, but think about it in the context of a space dome where an EMP guarantees everyone's death. If you have an interest in space, it is worth a read.

I just finished "A City on Mars" detailing the difficulties in humans moving out to space (be in the moon, space stations, Mars). I love Zach Weinersmith's SMBC Comic, and the book contains some of his humor in he book (one lunar settlement is called Muskow).

Bottom line, the Weinersmiths believe in a future space program that develops settlements but they posit that we aren't nearly as close as Musk and others believe. Aside from the numerous technical challenges, they suggest space settler fans just pay no attention to the social and legal issues. The Weinersmiths believe that the space settlement community is big in assuming space will make humans behave. This is interesting given they see most of the people behind pushing space settlement are libertarians who want to create an American Wild West which they believe is what made America great.

They raise a lot of interesting points on the research we should be doing but aren't (can humans have kids in space? Can said kids ever come back to earth? These are two huge questions of many that need to be answered but there is almost no research ongoing). Also, as they often point out, the other planets and space itself really wants humans dead. They briefly touch on things like terrorism, but think about it in the context of a space dome where an EMP guarantees everyone's death. If you have an interest in space, it is worth a read.
Heard an interview of him by Russ Roberts. Depressing for this former aspiring astronaut.

The facts about the dangerous nature of Martian and moon dust was eye opening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT