ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Realized I never came back after Napoleon. Also saw Maestro yesterday. Napoleon was long but interesting. Joaquin is excellent and the battle scenes are beautifully and poetically shot. I don’t know enough about the history beyond the basics to speak to accuracy. It was much about his relationship with Josephine , but I would have preferred seeing more about what made him the leader he was. I’d give it a B

As for Maestro, it was excellent. Bradley Cooper is phenomenal , once you get beyond his nose. The music was beautiful and Carey Mulligan, as Bernstein’s wife, is also very good. Much of the movie is black and white, and also beautifully filmed. This one was an A for me.

Ww2 on Netflix has been really good
Binged Squid Games the last couple days. I’ve never seen so many tears in a reality competition!! The cliffhangers sure made you want to keep going. The winner was pretty bad ass and cut throat. And smart.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Binged Squid Games the last couple days. I’ve never seen so many tears in a reality competition!! The cliffhangers sure made you want to keep going. The winner was pretty bad ass and cut throat. And smart.
definitely! my daughter and i had fun watching it. i will say too many games were decided by pure luck/chance. zeke, i watched the teaser for vpr and WOW WOW WOW. i'll tell ya what. that tom schwartz is no good. it's an act. he's a wolf in sheep's clothing. and racquel isn't going to be on this year. guess she had mental problems

definitely! my daughter and i had fun watching it. i will say too many games were decided by pure luck/chance. zeke, i watched the teaser for vpr and WOW WOW WOW. i'll tell ya what. that tom schwartz is no good. it's an act. he's a wolf in sheep's clothing. and racquel isn't going to be on this year. guess she had mental problems
Yeah I think it was much more luck than skill. I mean rock, paper, scissors? And they all talked about alliances so much but I don’t think they mattered much except for that one challenge where you picked an ally. I am way behind on VPR. Have to catch up this winter

Yeah I think it was much more luck than skill. I mean rock, paper, scissors? And they all talked about alliances so much but I don’t think they mattered much except for that one challenge where you picked an ally. I am way behind on VPR. Have to catch up this winter
okay well what you are behind on IS THE VERY BEST of what that show has to offer. scandoval has been unreal. the last season is by far the best ever. the new season starts jan 30 so you need to catch up. oh they are so dirty that tom and racquel. EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh do I have a book for you! This had been on my list for awhile but didn’t remember what it was about until I started. It’s called Why Fish Don’t Exist and it’s about David Jordan!! Has a couple thousand positive reviews on Amazon, so not just a small little book. I’m listening and probably would have been bored had I read first part. Did you know that he identified hundreds of species of fish? About a fifth of all those identified. We all know about the eugenics, but I only knew he believed, not that he was a leader in the movement. Indiana and CA were the two first places in the world to practice it. Finally he possibly murdered Jane Stanford, after he became their president. If he didn’t murder her, he at least tried to cover it up. He’s a pretty bad guy. But a really interesting read/ listen. Highly recommend. It’s short, just under 5 hours. Listened to most in the way to and back to that heartbreaking game.

let us know. she's on the list to read if i ever get back to it. she's apparently fantastic
I listened to her on that podcast and looked up a pic and I am now smitten. It doesn't hurt that she says stuff like this, either:

I listened to her on that podcast and looked up a pic and I am now smitten. It doesn't hurt that she says stuff like this, either:

Definitely. I need to get back into reading. She’s high on the list if I do.

I realize this came out in 2021 and I’m sure it’s been brought up here, but right now the History Channel is airing “The Titans that Built America - United We Stand” about the WWII war effort buy business titans of the day and it’s fantastic! Certainly one of the better documentaries I’ve seen on the war effort.

I like all of the “that built America” series, although I must say this one is by far the best I’ve seen.

I realize this came out in 2021 and I’m sure it’s been brought up here, but right now the History Channel is airing “The Titans that Built America - United We Stand” about the WWII war effort buy business titans of the day and it’s fantastic! Certainly one of the better documentaries I’ve seen on the war effort.

I like all of the “that built America” series, although I must say this one is by far the best I’ve seen.
Those are good series. A bit cheesy, but at least they are actual history.

Anybody watching Silo on Apple? It’s an adaption of the Wool book series. Good sci-fi. Great premise. I’m two episodes in and it is delivering so far.

Anybody watching Silo on Apple? It’s an adaption of the Wool book series. Good sci-fi. Great premise. I’m two episodes in and it is delivering so far.
Yeah, watched season 1, it was good & kept me engaged. I’d watch Rebecca Ferguson do anything though…

Reactions: BradStevens
Saltburn anyone? Holy weird movie, Batman. It’s sick, but I kinda liked it.

Pachinko
Severance
Station 11
Are all great. The Last Days of Ptolemy Gray has been pretty good too. Slow Horses is only one episode in but very promising…
I am finally starting Slow Horses, 2 episodes and I really like it. It is interesting to see the "cast of misfits" used seriously.

@Marvin the Martian clarkson’s farm season 3 finished shooting. Woot woot!!
I just found the Roku Channel has an all Top Gear channel. I have seen a couple I never remembered (best driving song, which was an early season fan vote and went to Radar Love after the hosts kept making fun of Bat Out of Hell which led early. Silly Brits, Born to be Wild is clearly #1).

I just found the Roku Channel has an all Top Gear channel. I have seen a couple I never remembered (best driving song, which was an early season fan vote and went to Radar Love after the hosts kept making fun of Bat Out of Hell which led early. Silly Brits, Born to be Wild is clearly #1).
I will say Marv. But for getting up early and if you had unlimited funds that farm life clarkson has is very appealing. He signed on for a 4th season. I’ll say it is one of my favorite shows. Novel. Interesting. Hilarious characters. And clarkson is an evil genius in humor

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I will say Marv. But for getting up early and if you had unlimited funds that farm life clarkson has is very appealing. He signed on for a 4th season. I’ll say it is one of my favorite shows. Novel. Interesting. Hilarious characters. And clarkson is an evil genius in humor

Clarkson's humor is brilliant. He pushes the envelope too far sometimes, but not so far as to be ridiculous. I know there was a fan movement to get Richard and James on the farm, I don't know that would work. It would be hard to be better, and easy to be worse.

Clarkson's humor is brilliant. He pushes the envelope too far sometimes, but not so far as to be ridiculous. I know there was a fan movement to get Richard and James on the farm, I don't know that would work. It would be hard to be better, and easy to be worse.
Absolutely.

I am watching the MASH retrospective on Fox. Damn, MASH is still powerful today and I have seen every episode 5 times (at least). If you didn't catch it, see if you can find it.

Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT