ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Anyone else watch Masters of the Air last night (or today)? I saw the first episode last night and it's really great. A little hard to believe HBO passed on it, supposedly due to the expected cost. Then again, this series had to have cost a fortune.

Anyone else watch Masters of the Air last night (or today)? I saw the first episode last night and it's really great. A little hard to believe HBO passed on it, supposedly due to the expected cost. Then again, this series had to have cost a fortune.
Nope. But saw The Boys in the Boat yesterday. Excellent movie. Highly recommend. I think that almost everything that comes out of Hollywood these days is unadulterated crap. This is the exception that proves the rule.

• Love
Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed
I worry Noodle. I worry deeply. Has HBO lost its ambition? This series is tailor made for them. Ridiculous that they didn’t pick it up.

Where is their next flagship show? Where is The Wire? The Sopranos? Game of Thrones?

A GOT spin off and a season of Curb every 3-4 years is just not going to cut it. Barry was really good. It’s an appetizer though. Where is the epic drama that they cut their teeth on?

I worry that streaming is diluting the quality of everything. What’s the next great show that Americans of all shapes and colors rallied behind? Probably GOT and that ended four years ago.

So sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: BradStevens
I worry Noodle. I worry deeply. Has HBO lost its ambition? This series is tailor made for them. Ridiculous that they didn’t pick it up.

Where is their next flagship show? Where is The Wire? The Sopranos? Game of Thrones?

A GOT spin off and a season of Curb every 3-4 years is just not going to cut it. Barry was really good. It’s an appetizer though. Where is the epic drama that they cut their teeth on?

I worry that streaming is diluting the quality of everything. What’s the last great show that Americans of all shapes and colors rallied behind? Probably GOT and that ended four years ago.

So sad.
I don't care who makes the shows as long as they get made.

The Golden Era of TV couldn't last forever, though.

Nope. But saw The Boys in the Boat yesterday. Excellent movie. Highly recommend. I think that almost everything that comes out of Hollywood these days is unadulterated crap. This is the exception that proves the rule.
Boys in the Boat was excellent , as were many movies this year. Best year in a long time, IMO.

Belushi was in Ghostbusters?
f5b3cb29-d121-4d4a-8d21-0100c20369c2_text.gif

Thanks to something Joe said in another thread, I decided to binge some Sherlock Holmes. I've read almost the entire Canon, but not quite, and I'm no longer sure which ones I'm still missing, so I decided to just start with A Study in Scarlet, and work my way up. Anyway, I came across this gem from 1892, and it honestly blew my mind. I had to stop reading and research it:

"What's up, then?" asked Holmes, with a twinkle in his eye. "You look dissatisfied."​

Apparently, the phrase "What's up?" dates back to at least the middle of the 19th century. I never would have guessed.

Just watched “The Holdovers” on Peacock. Won’t win AA because of Oppenheimer but Giamatti is awesome yet again
We watched that last night. It is slower than most modern movies but really well done. The interplay between the 3 main characters was fascinating. I would give it a B+.

Just watched “The Holdovers” on Peacock. Won’t win AA because of Oppenheimer but Giamatti is awesome yet again
It was one of the most enjoyable movies of the year. He plays a great curmudgeon. Giametti May win and I think DaVine is the favorite. Young kid was good too. Loved it.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Lars, so I’ve watched the full Road House trailer on Prime. I’M F*CKING IN!!!

Does this mean that Saint Patrick is being replaced? Of course not. That luxurious hair never ever could be. However, the remake looks incredibly stupid which greatly appeals to me.
Look. Of course I'll watch it. But I remain ****ing chapped b/c they refuse to remake Escape from NY which is CRYING out for modern filmmaking.

If i ever win a billiion dollars, I'm going to produce it.

Lars, so I’ve watched the full Road House trailer on Prime. I’M F*CKING IN!!!

Does this mean that Saint Patrick is being replaced? Of course not. That luxurious hair never ever could be. However, the remake looks incredibly stupid which greatly appeals to me.
The remake might be cool. But without the 560 SEC, it will never be that cool.

I have the same question Bulk.
I thought Tom Hiddleston in Skull Island was a template for the foundation of Snake Plissken. Needs more cynicism but it’s a start.

There’s Tom Hardy of course. Probably too urbane. Hiddleston too.

So then I’m thinking Ryan Gosling. He’s of a certain age now.

The real tragedy is that is should have been Keanu. But now that time has passed.

Paying homage to Kurt Russell isn’t easy. A singular personality to be sure.

Actually Keanu might have one left in him. Let’s get this done.

Reactions: Cortez88
I thought Tom Hiddleston in Skull Island was a template for the foundation of Snake Plissken. Needs more cynicism but it’s a start.

The real tragedy is that is should have been Keanu. But now that time has passed.

Snake is supposed to be that guy whose time has passed, but still kicks ass.

How about...

pedro-pascal.png

No.

Hardy. Crowe at a certain time would have been good. Pitt kinda needs a vehicle.

Reactions: larsIU
The last of us really fell off at the end. They both had much better roles and much better characters in Game of Thrones.

Ellie get behind me.

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a really good, classic Nick Cage comedy out called 'Dream Scenario'.

Set up is Cage is a 60 some year old small college professor who has a benign life and struggles with being an average professor who has never had anything published.

Similar to 'About Schmidt' but really captures the current moment.

What happens is he starts appearing in everyone's dreams....and typically does nothing in them, he's just there (which further frustrates him because even in dreams, he's insignificant).

But he gets popular for being the 'dream guy' and goes viral.

Anyway what makes this movie great to me is it's one of the first movies that I can think of that is making great social commentary on our current 'going viral' culture. It's also pretty biting on gen z's attitudes and personality which is part of the funny, and it's something I haven't seen done as well.

Basically it's a funny movie, but if you like Cage it's a super funny movie. It's a movie that if it was made twenty or thirty years ago would be confusing, which highlights just out how much technology has changed us pretty quickly.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a really good, classic Nick Cage comedy out called 'Dream Scenario'.

Set up is Cage is a 60 some year old small college professor who has a benign life and struggles with being an average professor who has never had anything published.

What happens is he starts appearing in everyone's dreams....and typically does nothing in them, he's just there (which further frustrates him because even in dreams, he's insignificant).

Anyway what makes this movie great to me is it's one of the first movies that I can think of that is making great social commentary on our current 'going viral' culture. It's also pretty biting on gen z's attitudes and personality which is part of the funny, and it's something I haven't seen done as well.

Basically it's a funny movie, but if you like Cage it's a super funny movie. It's a movie that if it was made twenty or thirty years ago would be confusing, which highlights just out how much technology has changed us pretty quickly.
Is it streaming?

I’m in.

Sounds like a Kauffman premise

1. Episode 3 of Masters of the Air is incredible. Don't know how those planes could fly with the extra weight of the balls of the flight crew.

2. Finally watched The Greatest Beer Run Ever, and it's surprisingly good. Amazing that it's a true story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT