ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

We tried watching the first season but couldn't deal with it. Just too ponderous.
Me Too Samesies GIF

Shogun is good.
Based on a combination of your post and me being sick of seeing so many commercials for it during Futurama reruns, I started watching. It's...good, I guess? I mean, I don't guess, it's genuinely good. But I'm not quite sure how it gets a 99% rating and "universal acclaim."

The cinematography is exquisite. And some of the acting (esp. Hiroyuki Sanada, Tadanobu Asano, and Nestor Carbonell) is particularly notable, but so far, it's overall just a very good show, not necessarily an exceptional one.

I'm three episodes in.

Oh yeah, and the opening credits sequence: just another reminder that GoT changed television forever.

One of the best RPG game series ever...
So, surprisingly, I'm not very well versed in Role Playing Game games, ( ;) ) and I was not even aware this series was based on one until I read about it. In my research, I have discovered that this particular RPG is very intricate, and seems to have a whole background universe, not unlike LOTR.
Am I correct in that assessment?

Based on a combination of your post and me being sick of seeing so many commercials for it during Futurama reruns, I started watching. It's...good, I guess? I mean, I don't guess, it's genuinely good. But I'm not quite sure how it gets a 99% rating and "universal acclaim."

The cinematography is exquisite. And some of the acting (esp. Hiroyuki Sanada, Tadanobu Asano, and Nestor Carbonell) is particularly notable, but so far, it's overall just a very good show, not necessarily an exceptional one.

I'm three episodes in.

Oh yeah, and the opening credits sequence: just another reminder that GoT changed television forever.
I agree with this.

So, surprisingly, I'm not very well versed in Role Playing Game games, ( ;) ) and I was not even aware this series was based on one until I read about it. In my research, I have discovered that this particular RPG is very intricate, and seems to have a whole background universe, not unlike LOTR.
Am I correct in that assessment?
Basically yes and it along with Baldur's Gate pushed the boundaries of video based RPGs. I didn't play the last few but the first 2 - at the time of their release 94/95? 1997/98- were exceptional games..

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I'm going to watch it. Mabye this week since I'm trapped in a giant cabin with my wife's whole family and I'm going to need some alone time.
I'm usually not much of a science fiction guy, but it's not over the top with it. Storyline is intriguing and there have been enough twists to hold my attention.

Reactions: BradStevens
It’s an awful time of year for movies. Dead period until summer movies start. But I’m watching an OLD series that’s been in my list for ages. Anyone see Damages with Glen Close and Rose Byrne? I’m in the last season ( 5) and it’s pretty good. On Hulu

Ben Franklin bioseries is out. I thought the John Adams series was highly overrated. Could just be that he wasn't a very interesting founding father.

Hopefully this one is better.

Ben Franklin bioseries is out. I thought the John Adams series was highly overrated. Could just be that he wasn't a very interesting founding father.

Hopefully this one is better.
I loved the John Adams series. I thought Laura Linney made Abigail an incredibly interesting character and Giamatti made John out to be somewhat interesting.

Has anyone seen The Sympathizer on Max? It is based on a book that sounds very interesting. It is about a North Vietnamese spy who was forced to flee South Vietnam for the US with the South Vietnamese General he works for.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Looking forward to this one. Sports particularly the determination and hard wok aspects of sports can indeed be transformative. Any bicycle rider can relate to the hard miles.

Looking forward to this one. Sports particularly the determination and hard wok aspects of sports can indeed be transformative. Any bicycle rider can relate to the hard miles.
I saw this at Heartland film festival and met Matthew Modine. It’s excellent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT