ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

2020 definitely needs this movie...
Mario-Lopez-Is-Playing-Colonel-Sanders-In-A-KFC-Lifetime-Romantic-Movie-Entertainment-Humor-Weird-Nope-WTF-6.jpg

Yes, it's real.

So what’s everybody reading or watching? My new favorite tv show is Killing Eve. It’s about a female assassin, on BBC , starring Sandra Oh as the detective trying to catch her. Creepy good. I’m reading Killers of the Flower Moon, about the murders of Native Americans in Oseage County and the beginnings of the FBI. Just saw RBG, and was surprised at how gorgeous she was. Also had no idea she was involved in women’s issues since college and tried 6 cases at Supreme Court, winning 5 of them. What’s everyone else enjoying?

Book - The Splendid and the Vile, Erik Larson. Highly recommend. In depth about Churchill the German air war.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Book - The Splendid and the Vile, Erik Larson. Highly recommend. In depth about Churchill the German air war.

Interesting. I read Devil in the White City and In The Garden of Beasts. Made it halfway through Dead Wake, didn't necessarily hate it, but never completely caught me.

How would you compare Splendid & The Vile to other Erik Larsson?

Interesting. I read Devil in the White City and In The Garden of Beasts. Made it halfway through Dead Wake, didn't necessarily hate it, but never completely caught me.

How would you compare Splendid & The Vile to other Erik Larsson?

Devil in the White City is the only other Larson book I’ve read. It was great. Splendid and the Vile is very good. He does an excellent job using diaries, letters, and verified source material for accuracy but keeps it moving and interesting. Churchill was a fascinating guy, absolutely unique.

They're pulling out all the stops - at noon on a Sunday, and it's 15 minutes long.
It's obviously a 15 minute KFC commercial. Clever. I like their marketing, if not their food so much. When they had all the different actors playing Sanders in commercials (Jim Gaffigan, Sean Astin, Jason Alexander, etc), I thought it was a great idea. The one with Astin with a Rudy-like plot was fun.

Patton Oswalt does a great bit on the KFC Famous Bowl, which he refers to as a "failure pile in a sadness bowl", and later, another bit on the sandwich that substituted chicken breasts for slices of bread.

Last edited:
Probably a wrong choice of words. Sometimes it feels like his recollection of events are too descriptive, or he goes to great lengths to let you know every single detail of every side of an argument, that drove him to make a decision. He is definitely a thorough thinker, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all. I just think he slips into not being altogether genuine in some passages, although he is a very genuine person.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is there’s a little bit of him being conscious of what he wants the reader to think he was thinking at certain moments, as opposed to what he was genuinely thinking in that moment. Don’t listen to me though, it’s an excellent read, by a good writer.
New to me too, but I took it to mean theatrical. Too stagey meaning taking liberties in setting the stage.

Reactions: Morrison
Whoever wrote "Prom" now showing on Netflix really, really hates Indiana. It stars James Corden, Meryl Strepp, Kerry Washington and Nicole Kidman. The premise is a group of broadway stars become disturbed when they learn that a small town school in Indiana is going to cancel prom if they allow a gay girl to bring her girlfriend to the prom they then come to her aid. I don't really care for musicals but given how close it hits home I am rather enjoying it. Libtards will probably enjoy it conservatives not so much.

Whoever wrote "Prom" now showing on Netflix really, really hates Indiana. It stars James Corden, Meryl Strepp, Kerry Washington and Nicole Kidman. The premise is a group of broadway stars become disturbed when they learn that a small town school in Indiana is going to cancel prom if they allow a gay girl to bring her girlfriend to the prom they then come to her aid. I don't really care for musicals but given how close it hits home I am rather enjoying it. Libtards will probably enjoy it conservatives not so much.
Article in today's paper on it said it was directly inspired by RFRA and Mike Pence.

Reactions: Bill4411
Article in today's paper on it said it was directly inspired by RFRA and Mike Pence.
I picked that up after watching it for a few minutes. After I posted I guess the author was Ryan Murphy who wrote Glee, Nip/Tuck, Ratched and American Horror story. He's from Indy and an IU grad. There's quit a lot of pent up anger that is evident in the show.

Ryan Murphy (writer) - Wikipedia

I picked that up after watching it for a few minutes. After I posted I guess the author was Ryan Murphy who wrote Glee, Nip/Tuck, Ratched and American Horror story. He's from Indy and an IU grad. There's quit a lot of pent up anger that is evident in the show.

Ryan Murphy (writer) - Wikipedia

Well it sounds like a light, lovely, agenda free show from everything I’m hearing.

Started on this little number recently:

Amazon product ASIN 1538733307
I generally hate books written by self important politicians, of which Crenshaw is definitely one. I also hate self help books, which this book definitely is in some respects. There is a lot “cancel culture sucks and micro aggressions are dumb” typical GOP clap trap, but Crenshaw does have a good story and there are some lessons to be learned.

Highly recommended for some of the more hysterical leftists on this board.

Last edited:
We watched an older Christmas movie called The Bishop's Wife. It is kind of similar to It's a Wonderful Life in plot, but my wife hated Wonderful Life and loved this one. I find both very good. So if you are looking for a Christmas movie, try Cary Grant in The Bishop's Wife.

Has anyone seen the series Watchmen? Apologize if it’s been discussed on this thread before. After it won so many Emmys decided I needed to watch it. I know nothing about the comic, but I enjoyed it. Pretty strange, but well done.

The Pete Sousa documentary The Way I See It is on MSNBC right now and repeats at 10:00 pm. It's really worth watching.

Has anyone seen the series Watchmen? Apologize if it’s been discussed on this thread before. After it won so many Emmys decided I needed to watch it. I know nothing about the comic, but I enjoyed it. Pretty strange, but well done.
Ya. It’s really good. I watched it when it first came out, so I was in “can’t wait till’ next week” mode.
I recommend “The Outsider” on HBO and “Black Monday” and “The Good Lord Bird” on Showtime.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke4ahs
Ya. It’s really good. I watched it when it first came out, so I was in “can’t wait till’ next week” mode.
I recommend “The Outsider” on HBO and “Black Monday” and “The Good Lord Bird” on Showtime.
After today, I think we all should watch Seven Days In May.

After 50+ years, it still remains valid to show how creeping, incremental abuse of democracy threatens to become absolute end of democracy.

Reactions: UncleMark
Must Watch Alert

Pete Sousa doc The Way I See It on MSNBC tonight (Jan 16) at 10:00 pm ET.

You seriously want to watch this.

Th Tiger Woods documentary on HBO is phenomenal.

Eh. No Tiger, no Elin, in fact outside of Stevie Williams, very few people who were ever in his inner circle. All we got were High School girlfriends and bottle service girls from Vegas. Plus the guys career isn't even over yet, it'd be like making a documentary about Tom Brady.

Couldn't shake the feeling that it was just a cash grab trying to capitalize on the success of the "The Last Dance".

Not to mention Bryant Gumbel appearing on screen every 10 minutes to let us all know that we're racists' was a bit exhausting.

Eh. No Tiger, no Elin, in fact outside of Stevie Williams, very few people who were ever in his inner circle. All we got were High School girlfriends and bottle service girls from Vegas. Plus the guys career isn't even over yet, it'd be like making a documentary about Tom Brady.

Couldn't shake the feeling that it was just a cash grab trying to capitalize on the success of the "The Last Dance".

Not to mention Bryant Gumbel appearing on screen every 10 minutes to let us all know that we're racists' was a bit exhausting.
I had no idea about bottle service girls until I watched that documentary. I found little uplifting about Tiger's life but still his fan boys continue to idolize him.

Of course Tiger and Elin aren’t going to take part. Long term family friends, high school girlfriends help explain what happened to him, players who played with him, and hearing from the women he was involved with seems pretty close to me.

Of course Tiger and Elin aren’t going to take part. Long term family friends, high school girlfriends help explain what happened to him, players who played with him, and hearing from the women he was involved with seems pretty close to me.

Maybe they could get Tiger. MJ was immensely private about his personal life as well, but age can make people do some funny things. We'll never know because like I said, they jumped the gun.

A lot thought that "The Last Dance" was just a Jordan fluff piece. A Tiger doc with a Tiger interview would likely be in a similar vein.

But I'd like to watch a documentary about the greatest golfer of all time and his golf career. The salacious details of his personal life I suppose are appealing to women, but they can always pick up a magazine in the check out line at the super market.

But I'd like to watch a documentary about the greatest golfer of all time and his golf career. The salacious details of his personal life I suppose are appealing to women, but they can always pick up a magazine in the check out line at the super market.

Jack Nicklaus had a scandalous personal life?

Reactions: Bill4411 and jet812
ADVERTISEMENT