ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

As near as I could tell, she played the Queen’s Gambit for the first and only time in the final game.
In watching the series the second time what stood out to me was Harry Beltik predicting Beth would end up just like Paul Morphy. Given the book goes no further than the series who knows but I thought it was a telling remark.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
In watching the series the second time what I stood out to me was Harry Beltik predicting Beth would end up just like Paul Morphy. Given the book goes no further than the series who knows but I thought it was a telling remark.

I thought her conversation with the kid Russian prodigy was telling. He wanted to be world campion as a young man. Then she asked him “What then?”

Reactions: Bill4411
I wish I was in your shoes. I have watched the series twice and will probably watch it again but the first time is always the best. Anya Taylor-Joy is going to be a major star. She is slated to play Furiosa in the new Mad Max movie.
Finished up tonight. Very enjoyable. Nice to have a good ending without a bunch of mind fvcks. I'm ready for plain ol' everyday entertainment.

Finished up tonight. Very enjoyable. Nice to have a good ending without a bunch of mind fvcks. I'm ready for plain ol' everyday entertainment.

You guys steered me to The Queen's Gambit, and it was great. SWMBO usually turns her nose up at my suggestions, but this one was a hit. Got any new suggestions? We usually watch "our current show" during or after dinner, then retire to our separate amusements.

You guys steered me to The Queen's Gambit, and it was great. SWMBO usually turns her nose up at my suggestions, but this one was a hit. Got any new suggestions? We usually watch "our current show" during or after dinner, then retire to our separate amusements.
started yellowstone. kind of cheesy but starting to enjoy it.

Reactions: glmiu11
Lol. I actually have a thing for little people. 1917 was innovative in the way it was shot and truly made you feel like you were there. But the storyline was not. Little Women added some different twists and I loved it, but wouldn’t have wanted it to win and I was fine that Greta wasn’t up for best Director ( see I’m not always a FemiNazi).

2020 (A 1917 Parody)

The Queen's Gambit is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Here's a fascinating interview with Gary Kasparov about his involvement with the series: https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/queens-gambit-garry-kasparov-interview-netflix-chess-adviser.html

And yes, I was taken by the Scholar's Gambit back in high school. I popped into the room where the chess team was practicing, sat down for a game against the best player, and left about 2 minutes later.
Best show I’ve seen in some time, and I know nothing about chess

Reactions: Bill4411
Just finished Escape Artist. An engaging, slick, and totally unrealistic story about lawyering and a perfect murder. David Tennant stars. This is the third series I've seen him in and he is one of the more intense actors today.

-99% Invisible (book form): don't know if it was just some of their podcasts made into the book, or if it was all of them. interesting stuff, nothing mind blowing
-Chaos: Making a new Science : this book is good, above my pay grade, but good. coincidentally Mandelbrot is google's animation today. Mandelbrot is well featured in this book.
-watched Letterman interviews on netflix. liked this season better than the last.

This thread has gotten so long I may have already mentioned this. Recently finished Beartown by Frederick Bachman. My favorite book of the year. It’s about a small town and its high school hockey team. In my head I substituted basketball. I know nothing about hockey but really loved the story.

This thread has gotten so long I may have already mentioned this. Recently finished Beartown by Frederick Bachman. My favorite book of the year. It’s about a small town and its high school hockey team. In my head I substituted basketball. I know nothing about hockey but really loved the story.

Thanks for posting. I'll check it out. My daughter is a hockey mom. Youth hockey is different from any other youth sport.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Ice time? What about equipment?!? I paid spent a small fortune on skates this past summer just to volunteer on the ice.

That too. Can't believe what a stick costs. Good thing my grandson doesn't play goalie. The kids would have to take out a second mortgage.

That too. Can't believe what a stick costs. Good thing my grandson doesn't play goalie. The kids would have to take out a second mortgage.
Yep. I need to get a stick myself, but I may go old school (aka cheap and wood) since I only really need it to fetch pucks and make easy passes. I did order a new jersey this week. It was between this one and an Ogio Oglethorpe jersey.

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Yep. I need to get a stick myself, but I may go old school (aka cheap and wood) since I only really need it to fetch pucks and make easy passes. I did order a new jersey this week. It was between this one and an Ogio Oglethorpe jersey.

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

I'm surprised you don't have this one.

Bot my grandson an IU club jersey a few years ago; he outgrew it in 6 months.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Noodle
I just started reading A Promised Land, Barack Obama’s first volume of memoirs. Whatever your political view of Obama, he is a thoughtful, talented writer, although a bit wordy and stagey at times.

A good, fresh, political memoir by our most recent President is soothing to read while we witness the current President’s attempt to delegitimize our democratic process, and the President-elect on his way out the door.

I just started reading A Promised Land, Barack Obama’s first volume of memoirs. Whatever your political view of Obama, he is a thoughtful, talented writer, although a bit wordy and stagey at times.

A good, fresh, political memoir by our most recent President is soothing to read while we witness the current President’s attempt to delegitimize our democratic process, and the President-elect on his way out the door.
Stagey? I am not familiar with this concept.

Stagey? I am not familiar with this concept.

Probably a wrong choice of words. Sometimes it feels like his recollection of events are too descriptive, or he goes to great lengths to let you know every single detail of every side of an argument, that drove him to make a decision. He is definitely a thorough thinker, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all. I just think he slips into not being altogether genuine in some passages, although he is a very genuine person.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is there’s a little bit of him being conscious of what he wants the reader to think he was thinking at certain moments, as opposed to what he was genuinely thinking in that moment. Don’t listen to me though, it’s an excellent read, by a good writer.

Reactions: Noodle
Probably a wrong choice of words. Sometimes it feels like his recollection of events are too descriptive, or he goes to great lengths to let you know every single detail of every side of an argument, that drove him to make a decision. He is definitely a thorough thinker, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all. I just think he slips into not being altogether genuine in some passages, although he is a very genuine person.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is there’s a little bit of him being conscious of what he wants the reader to think he was thinking at certain moments, as opposed to what he was genuinely thinking in that moment. Don’t listen to me though, it’s an excellent read, by a good writer.
Too stagey.

Hillbilly Elegy.

I hadn't read the book notwithstanding it's been on my todo list for a couple of years. I thought Ron Howard's movie (on Netflix) was very good. I love stories about human accomplishments in the face of headwinds. H.E. is certainly one of those. While I was mildly aware of the controversy around the story, I really had no idea what that was about. Some critics even mentioned that the story was pro Trump!? After watching it I asked my stoker what was controversial and we both kinda shrugged.

This review in The Atlantic makes me wonder if I even watched the same movie. The reviewer panned the movie calling it cartoonish. I didn't get the message the reviewer saw. The reviewer suggests that Vance became a success despite his dysfunctional and unstable upbringing. Just the opposite for me. The script clearly showed me that Vance became what he was because of family. The story doesn't say how he was admitted to Yale law. But we do know he wasn't a legacy and his family didn't buy his way in.

Amy Adams (Vance's mother) and Glenn Close (grandma) turned in Oscar worthy performances.

Well worth watching.

Hillbilly Elegy.

I hadn't read the book notwithstanding it's been on my todo list for a couple of years. I thought Ron Howard's movie (on Netflix) was very good. I love stories about human accomplishments in the face of headwinds. H.E. is certainly one of those. While I was mildly aware of the controversy around the story, I really had no idea what that was about. Some critics even mentioned that the story was pro Trump!? After watching it I asked my stoker what was controversial and we both kinda shrugged.

This review in The Atlantic makes me wonder if I even watched the same movie. The reviewer panned the movie calling it cartoonish. I didn't get the message the reviewer saw. The reviewer suggests that Vance became a success despite his dysfunctional and unstable upbringing. Just the opposite for me. The script clearly showed me that Vance became what he was because of family. The story doesn't say how he was admitted to Yale law. But we do know he wasn't a legacy and his family didn't buy his way in.

Amy Adams (Vance's mother) and Glenn Close (grandma) turned in Oscar worthy performances.

Well worth watching.
amy adams is good at playing rough characters

She cleans up pretty damn good too.
i saw a thing on her. she's got a real crazy background. she was born in italy to american military fam. then got back to the states and was raised Mormon. the dad was a lounge singer then divorced and she went with the mom who became a pro body builder

Hillbilly Elegy.

Well worth watching.
My sister thought the book was really good but I was not impressed with the movie. His mom was an addict which was my biggest takeaway. I don't know if it mattered whether they were originally from the hills of Kentucky or Paris, France in how it shaped his life.

I read and enjoyed both the book and movie. I have seen several reviews panning the movie, but wanted to watch myself before reading them.

Really excellent HBO series, The Undoing, with Hugh Grant, Nicole Kidman, and Donald Sutherland. I’ve heard people didn’t like the ending. I am on last episode. It’s a well done and acted murder mystery.

I’m too lazy to go all the way through this thread. Just finished Queens Gambit and really liked it. Any new suggestions to watch in the evenings with the wife?

I’m too lazy to go all the way through this thread. Just finished Queens Gambit and really liked it. Any new suggestions to watch in the evenings with the wife?
My bride likes The Crown, but then again she's a Brit wannabe. I'm finding it interesting myself.

Reactions: Cortez88
Watched the end of the Undoing. Won’t spoil anything. But I thought it was interesting that the attorney who preached stoicism snd acted the same totally melted down during Grace’s cross.
Interesting! We have two episodes left

Watched the end of the Undoing. Won’t spoil anything. But I thought it was interesting that the attorney who preached stoicism snd acted the same totally melted down during Grace’s cross.
I didn’t think about that, but definitely true. Was a bit disappointed in the ending, but don’t want to give spoilers. But all in all, really enjoyed it. I’m watching lots of stupid holiday shows now, which normally I detest, but somehow this year I’m enjoying them.

Watched it. Totally agree. Her jumping up and down screaming hearsay was completely out of character for her and probably a mistake in writing the show. My favorite movie lawyer will always be Newman in the verdict. Tho I did really enjoy civil action

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT