ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Watched it. Totally agree. Her jumping up and down screaming hearsay was completely out of character for her and probably a mistake in writing the show. My favorite movie lawyer will always be Newman in the verdict. Tho I did really enjoy civil action

Have you read the book Civil Action.? My very favorite legal book fiction or nonfiction. Of course Prosser on Torts will always be one of the best ever.

Have you read the book Civil Action.? My very favorite legal book fiction or nonfiction. Of course Prosser on Torts will always be one of the best ever.
We actually read it in civ pro at IU. loved it. My old civ pro prof is the provost now. Strange.

Last edited:
I didn’t think about that, but definitely true. Was a bit disappointed in the ending, but don’t want to give spoilers. But all in all, really enjoyed it. I’m watching lots of stupid holiday shows now, which normally I detest, but somehow this year I’m enjoying them.

I think Nicole Kidman is a helluva an actress. She pulled off Grace really well.

Watched Just Getting Started last night with Tommy Lee Jones and Morgan Freeman. Your basic Hallmark Christmas story with a little guns, sex, and bad guys.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Really liked that book also. Kidman was amazing in Undoing and I don’t know if it was lighting or what, but she looked absolutely gorgeous in every single shot. The kid did a good job too. I wish Donald Sutherland had a little more to do.

I think Nicole Kidman is a helluva an actress. She pulled off Grace really well.

Watched Just Getting Started last night with Tommy Lee Jones and Morgan Freeman. Your basic Hallmark Christmas story with a little guns, sex, and bad guys.
I’m not quite to Hallmark yet, but I may get there. The plot to every single one of those is the same.

Really liked that book also. Kidman was amazing in Undoing and I don’t know if it was lighting or what, but she looked absolutely gorgeous in every single shot. The kid did a good job too. I wish Donald Sutherland had a little more to do.
she doesn't age. donald sutherland needs an eye brow trim desperately. hard to look at

name dropping coh i've had lunch with tommy lee a few times. my old boss represented him on some stuff and they played on the same polo team

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
That would be a a pretty good book for civ pro. Learning the tactics of procedure is vital and not well understood.
Yep. it’s everything. we had a neat torts prof at iu named dworkin. he'd often end the class by saying "ah none of this matters. procedure is everything"

name dropping coh i've had lunch with tommy lee a few times. my old boss represented him on some stuff and they played on the same polo team
I grew up with a kid named Tom Jones. Must be a different guy. He doesn’t play polo.

I grew up with a kid named Tom Jones. Must be a different guy. He doesn’t play polo.
lol. tommy lee jones owned land and fields in wellington fla. he and my boss played on the same team as the founder of outback who sponsored the team. i was right out of law school and the firm's bitch for all these obscenely wealthy people

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
lol. tommy lee jones owned land and fields in wellington fla. he and my boss played on the same team as the founder of outback who sponsored the team. i was right out of law school and the firm's bitch for all these obscenely wealthy people

Outback is out back in Florida? Who knew?

Yep. it’s everything. we had a neat torts prof at iu named dworkin. he'd often end the class by saying "ah none of this matters. procedure is everything"

My torts prof threw an eraser hard off the back wall. Of course people near the impact jumped and said WTF? He used that to begin the discussion on zone of danger and proximate cause.

Outback is out back in Florida? Who knew?
lol. who knew. the founder of outback, tim gannon, was so fat he couldn't tie his own boots so he'd have the argentines (the guys who could actually play) tie them for him. the busch's had a team. they'd all go to the bars after the matches and billy would ask to see the owner of the bar and hand him a check for ten grand and say "we're gonna get pretty shitty here tonight." another world.

Was his name Randy Dworkin?
DKw2SBZVwAAubdV.jpg

I love Jack McCoy the hardass, but Randy Dworkin was a formidable opponent...twice.

Reactions: UncleMark
I have seen the movie version (of A Civil Action, not Prosser on Torts, because I sometimes feel I need to be clear with you). Have you seen it, and what did you think?

Was his name Randy Dworkin?
DKw2SBZVwAAubdV.jpg

I love Jack McCoy the hardass, but Randy Dworkin was a formidable opponent...twice.
Lol never seen that show. My favorite courtroom scene by a long shot was this fantastic few minutes where the viewer has the vantage point of the judge watching jimmy from better call Saul blow through about ten defendants while pacing and gesturing his way through crazy arguments. It’s fantastic

Lol never seen that show. My favorite courtroom scene by a long shot was this fantastic few minutes where the viewer has the vantage point of the judge watching jimmy from better call Saul blow through about ten defendants while pacing and gesturing his way through crazy arguments. It’s fantastic

Never saw that. A Few Good Men is #1 courtroom scene for me. I also liked Jimmy Stewart in Anatomy of a Murder, but it’s been years since I’ve seen it.

I have seen the movie version (of A Civil Action, not Prosser on Torts, because I sometimes feel I need to be clear with you). Have you seen it, and what did you think?

I have the DVD and watch it occasionally. The movie is a good attempt at the book, but Like most movies, it can’t film the entire book. I liked the book mostly because the emotional part of trial work for the client and the attorney really came through. The movie just didn’t capture the significant tension that accompanies every decision a lawyer must make in a case like that.

When is the Harvey Weinstein biopic coming out?

Edit: They got the Roger Ailes movie out in what seemed like a week.

A movie based on Hawkins vs. McGee is long overdue.

A movie I mentioned here before and one of my favorites is A Man For All Seasons. While not strictly a courtroom drama, it does provoke a discussion about the role of law in society. It was released while I was in law school and we spent more than a little time talking about it in the student lounge. Even the faculty would join in.

A movie I mentioned here before and one of my favorites is A Man For All Seasons. While not strictly a courtroom drama, it does provoke a discussion about the role of law in society. It was released while I was in law school and we spent more than a little time talking about it in the student lounge. Even the faculty would join in.
Not even a lawyerly courtesy chuckle for referencing the "Hairy Hand" case?

Sutherland is 85, so he looks good for his age.
I have never like Sutherland. Even disliked him in a play I saw years ago. Not sure what it is - might be his voice and manner of speaking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT