ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

I have youtubetv and netflix (and HBO max for free), and share them with family members who have Disney, Hulu, and Amazon.
Works for me.
I have the exact same if sub fubo for YouTube tv. I think it was youtubetv didn’t have history or weather.

The Pete Souza documentary The Way I See it. Saw it on MSNBC last night. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be offered on any streaming platforms as yet. Keep your eyes peeled, though, it's really worthwhile.
Oh just finished this and was way too emotional for the intelligence, humor, and decency of that man. Really good.

so ridiculous. hbo MAX. so now the hbo we pay for isn't enough. not to hijack this thread but to provide a bit of a psa in chasing the ever changing broadcasts of champions league, la liga, and the epl i've gotten pretty good at gauging services. i have to say that at this point fubo provides the best product: local channels; history channel; discovery; the weather channel, etc
Now, they've gone too far!

Has anyone read Caste? I’m listening to it on my trip. It examines the caste system in India, Nazi Germany and US Interesting, but it’s a lot to digest.

Book recommendation, for those interested in this stuff.

SIAP

@Marvin the Martian
are you familiar with these guys?

Rogue Heroes

History of the British SAS in WW2. It reads like a fiction because many Hollywood Spec Ops movie tropes are borrowed from these actual events. Rag tag, undisciplined special ops outfit created and led by an eccentric, using nontraditional hit and run raiding tactics.

Examples ...
When they started out the SAS didn't have a camp or equipment and had very low priority in the supply chain. No uniforms, tents, cooking supplies, blankets, food etc. So when a nearby Kiwi outfit was being supplied, the SAS' first unofficial mission was to steal the New Zealanders camp and equipment.

The supply problem was eventually solved when the leader of the group, Stirling, asked for and received the autographs of Churchill and iirc Alexander(?) on the bottom of a blank piece of paper. Stirling used the autographed paper to forge orders giving the SAS anything they needed at the highest of priority.

It's an entertaining read ..

Book recommendation, for those interested in this stuff.

SIAP

@Marvin the Martian
are you familiar with these guys?

Rogue Heroes

History of the British SAS in WW2. It reads like a fiction because many Hollywood Spec Ops movie tropes are borrowed from these actual events. Rag tag, undisciplined special ops outfit created and led by an eccentric, using nontraditional hit and run raiding tactics.

Examples ...
When they started out the SAS didn't have a camp or equipment and had very low priority in the supply chain. No uniforms, tents, cooking supplies, blankets, food etc. So when a nearby Kiwi outfit was being supplied, the SAS' first unofficial mission was to steal the New Zealanders camp and equipment.

The supply problem was eventually solved when the leader of the group, Stirling, asked for and received the autographs of Churchill and iirc Alexander(?) on the bottom of a blank piece of paper. Stirling used the autographed paper to forge orders giving the SAS anything they needed at the highest of priority.

It's an entertaining read ..

I will have to read that. I am not familiar with the details of the SAS founding. Wasn't one of their first combats at Tobruk where they were forced to fight as infantry and suffered high casualties?

The stories you list are funny, but fit the rogue nature of many commando units.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I will have to read that. I am not familiar with the details of the SAS founding. Wasn't one of their first combats at Tobruk where they were forced to fight as infantry and suffered high casualties?

The stories you list are funny, but fit the rogue nature of many commando units.
It's been a bit, I don't remember exactly if it was Tobruk or on an airdrop or if that was the same mission, but their first mission(s) were disasters. It wasn't until they souped up the jeeps and started doing drive bys they were effective. The Germans had enough of them when one asked to stop during a shoot em up mission, breaking with unit protocol and with a Thompson (I believe, though it may have been Sten) entered a barracks containing multiple pilots of a luftwaffe squadron. Pure butchery. From that point on the Nazis hunted them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Queen's Gambit on Netflix is really, really good. One of the best things I have seen in a long time and I am only through the first two episodes. This series is going to win a lot of awards.

Agree. Very well done. Every beginner falls for the scholar's mate at least once.

I love the cars.

You'll love the last episode and ending.
Watched it. Fantastic. Loved it!!! So great with all the American players coming together.

Bummer today. My kid and I were going to lay out all the Halloween candy and have a mandalorian marathon tonight. Disney pulled the rug out on us and are releasing them weekly.

Has anyone seen The Queen’s Gambit yet? Very good and would be especially enjoyable for chess aficionados.
You really don't need to know anything about chess in order to enjoy that great series. A series that good doesn't come along very often.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You really don't need to know anything about chess in order to enjoy that great series. A series that good doesn't come along very often.

As near as I could tell, she played the Queen’s Gambit for the first and only time in the final game.

Reactions: Bill4411
Two episodes to go. Really enjoying it.
I wish I was in your shoes. I have watched the series twice and will probably watch it again but the first time is always the best. Anya Taylor-Joy is going to be a major star. She is slated to play Furiosa in the new Mad Max movie.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT