ADVERTISEMENT

More Censorship

That has already been decided, my side lost. Enjoy your win.

Its not a win for me. I told you I try to take care of everyone. Even ones that haven’t paid me in 10 years. The left was outraged over a wedding cake, they don’t give a damn about this subject.

Maybe stop all the name calling and let everyone discriminate as they please. Good idea, you think?

Of course government should have that authority. As I write this the debate rages about what kind of firearms a business can sell. It’s a good debate. Like everything government does, its action flows from a balancing exercise from hearing and considering competing ideas. The real danger is that we are losing the ability to do that as “compromise” has become a dirty word. More and more legislation is rammed through on strictly partisan votes. Now, the left has the upper hand in not only government, but in culture as the forces the left uses to silence opposing ideas are at unprecedented levels. It’s efforts in elementary school are particularly egregious. That is very dangerous and ought to worry all of us.

While comparisons to Nazi Germany are often overstated, I think a comparison here is useful. In the years leading up to WWII the Nazis whipped up Jew hatred by a persuasive propaganda effort that painted Jews as destructive vermin. That propaganda was addressed to children and adults in an unrelenting fashion. That worked. Here and now, the left is painting large segments of society (Trumpists) as evil racists, purveyors of false information, or insurrectionists. Those factors mostly rest on falsehoods and myths. We can’t allow that to work.

The right staged a coup attempt, it is the left filing people up? Limbaugh coined "Feminazi" as well as long ago having a segment cheering gay deaths from AIDS long ago but the left is whipping up people.

The right staged a coup attempt, it is the left filing people up? Limbaugh coined "Feminazi" as well as long ago having a segment cheering gay deaths from AIDS long ago but the left is whipping up people.

exaggeration much. Look at the dem language. The Dems did 4 years of a coup attempt.

It is censorship.
I see your point, thanks to mcm.
I thought, due to your posts, you seemed to be encouraging government intervention, and I interpreted that you were claiming government censorship, which this is not. This is a financial decision, based on societal biases. Like HD said, if Amazon begins to feel negative financial pressure, they will quickly reverse course.
Why do you hate capitalism? 🙁

No. Gov intervention is censorship. Private institutions can censor but in my view while still censorship that’s their capitalistic decision. The former I’m not okay with (regulation) and the latter I am okay with tho I don’t like it.

I hate cancel culture. And I believe it’s real. But as long as it’s private it just impacts our choices re whom we do or don’t do business. It’s perfectly lawful. When the gov intercedes the story changes

People from both sides of the aisle "cancel" each other. I won't stay at a Trump property. I guess that's cancel culture. I want to put my money where my values are. This new buzz phrase is dumb. Everyone does it. The book Stol mentioned is "canceling" transgendered people.

People from both sides of the aisle "cancel" each other. I won't stay at a Trump property. I guess that's cancel culture. I want to put my money where my values are. This new buzz phrase is dumb. Everyone does it. The book Stol mentioned is "canceling" transgendered people.

Ask Cheney or Kinzinger about "cancel culture".

I think it’s sad to see in many instances but I agree. In some ways it creates other offsetting business opportunities.

No it’s censorship. Just private censorship. And I’m so in shock over bale’s performance today that I’m having problems processing but from skimming the facts it looked like censorship. Just permissible censorship imo.

It is NOT censorship. Come on McM. Amazon decided they didn't want to sell the book. Who cares. I linked up a million places you CAN buy it including Barnes and Noble.

Ask Cheney or Kinzinger about "cancel culture".

Don Jr. was "cancel culturing" his entire speech at CPAC. He said anyone who didn't back Trump should be primaried. Apparently Republicans aren't allowed to have an opinion that differs from the Trump family.

Reactions: TommyCracker
It is NOT censorship. Come on McM. Amazon decided they didn't want to sell the book. Who cares. I linked up a million places you CAN buy it including Barnes and Noble.
Doc I haven’t read the facts that closely.
1. Do you acknowledge that there can be private censorship?
2. Why did they decide to stop selling the book?

1. I think you may be trying to stretch the definition of censorship so far that it loses its meaning. But, technically you may be within bounds.
2. Does this matter, especially when it can certainly be boiled down to a financial decision?

JMHO

1. I think you may be trying to stretch the definition of censorship so far that it loses its meaning. But, technically you may be within bounds.
2. Does this matter, especially when it can certainly be boiled down to a financial decision?

JMHO
1. I suspect (could be wrong) some don't understand that censorship can occur privately
2. I don't think it's mutually exclusive. The "why" is informative. It can be censorship and a financial decision

No. I don't. I remember when I used to be on Facebook (I got off of it more than 10 years ago) some nut from high school posted a response to something I posted about W. I said..."Sorry. Not on my page" and deleted her nutty post. She screamed in all caps "FREE SPEECH". I responded that you're free to say whatever you want on your page.

It's no different (but on a vastly different scale than Amazon). They don't want a book that vilifies transgendered people on their site. That's okay. I don't like Fox News' content, but it's not censorship if they're not bringing Bernie Sanders on Hannity every night.

As Amazon said "they have a policy against 'hate speech'", so they won't sell it. The fact that Barnes and Noble sells it may make people "cancel" them too.

It's called business.

Reactions: TommyCracker

JMHO

Or...an ethical decision.

You are ankle biting marv. The issue here is much bigger than Limbaugh.

I used to say on this forum that a good lawyer is more useful than a good gun when fighting government wrongdoing. I won’t say that any more. Lawyers representing Trump have withdrawn because of doxing and the threats and harassment that went along with that. At least one Governor said lawyers representing Trump should be disbarred. This is new. The Democrats and the left are taking a wrecking ball to social and government foundations because they know they are right and all opposition must be canceled. This is scary.

exaggeration much. Look at the dem language. The Dems did 4 years of a coup attempt.
Attempting to remove Trump and then Pence would become President? I think you need to look up the word “coup.” And talk about an exaggeration.

Meanwhile, your guy just literally tried to lie and steal an election. even attempting to intimidate a GA election official into “finding” enough votes to allow him to unlawfully win a the election. Yeah, you’re really on the side of truth and justice. 😂

And I’m so in shock over bale’s performance today that I’m having problems processing

Tough to play golf in the UK during winter. He’s as frustrating to watch struggle as Anthony Martial. Both are semi world class but hardly play like it consistently

Reactions: mcmurtry66

The Trumpsters actually attempted to "cancel" a free and fair American election. And these guys are upset about a book that can be readily bought everywhere but Amazon?

The lack of self awareness is just sad.

1. I suspect (could be wrong) some don't understand that censorship can occur privately
2. I don't think it's mutually exclusive. The "why" is informative. It can be censorship and a financial decision
The use of the word censorship, though, conjures up book burnings, and governmental agents crashing through false walls to arrest people reading forbidden books. The connotation is, at the least, is often used as a diversion.

Does that matter in the least, they are a company. Are you saying the government has the power to tell companies what they can sell.

Amazon makes far far more off govt contracts, than they do off all consumer goods purchases put together.

you wouldn't go home to get a ladder and pull a sidewalk grate, so you could climb down and retrieve a penny you could see through the grate, and neither will Amazon.

that said, when it's about enough money for the mega corps to care about, they tell the govt how it will be, not vice versa.

it's not personal. it's just business.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Tough to play golf in the UK during winter. He’s as frustrating to watch struggle as Anthony Martial. Both are semi world class but hardly play like it consistently
he just seems like such a b*tch! punchable face and all but he's sooooooooooooooooooo good.

Reactions: larsIU
I see your point, thanks to mcm.
I thought, due to your posts, you seemed to be encouraging government intervention, and I interpreted that you were claiming government censorship, which this is not. This is a financial decision, based on societal biases. Like HD said, if Amazon begins to feel negative financial pressure, they will quickly reverse course.
Why do you hate capitalism? 🙁

I wasn’t asking the government to do anything. Only pointing out the continued hypocrisy of the left. They were outraged by a bakery choosing who they did business with. They could give a damn when one of their own are censoring.

We currently have giants in Google, Amazon, FB, Microsoft and others controlled by libs.

If it swings the other way I assume there will be no outrage with isms and phobes. Of course we know that’s pie in the sky.

You are ankle biting marv. The issue here is much bigger than Limbaugh.

I used to say on this forum that a good lawyer is more useful than a good gun when fighting government wrongdoing. I won’t say that any more. Lawyers representing Trump have withdrawn because of doxing and the threats and harassment that went along with that. At least one Governor said lawyers representing Trump should be disbarred. This is new. The Democrats and the left are taking a wrecking ball to social and government foundations because they know they are right and all opposition must be canceled. This is scary.

Read this article and tell me about Trump's legal team.

No. I don't. I remember when I used to be on Facebook (I got off of it more than 10 years ago) some nut from high school posted a response to something I posted about W. I said..."Sorry. Not on my page" and deleted her nutty post. She screamed in all caps "FREE SPEECH". I responded that you're free to say whatever you want on your page.

It's no different (but on a vastly different scale than Amazon). They don't want a book that vilifies transgendered people on their site. That's okay. I don't like Fox News' content, but it's not censorship if they're not bringing Bernie Sanders on Hannity every night.

As Amazon said "they have a policy against 'hate speech'", so they won't sell it. The fact that Barnes and Noble sells it may make people "cancel" them too.

It's called business.
Private entities can absolutely censor. i agree with you the motivation of business is profit but some businesses can perceive censorship as leading to more profits. that doesn't mean it's not censorship

I suggest you look up the definition of censorship...

Why does everyone have to do your work for you? You look it up and explain to all of us why a private company MUST sell a book. You're an incredibly lazy participant here.

Private entities can absolutely censor. i agree with you the motivation of business is profit but some businesses can perceive censorship as leading to more profits. that doesn't mean it's not censorship

So if Ford won't sell Chevys, is that censorship?

So, Amazon should be REQUIRED to sell every book?

Amazon can do as they please. But if their lefty owner wasn’t a massive hypocrite they would be selling this book. If he had any balls he’d quit with “it’s against our policy standards” and say “**** you righties, we ain’t sellin your books”. I can live with that. Just don’t give me bullshit it was within their standards for three years becoming a best seller and now there’s a problem.

I wasn’t asking the government to do anything. Only pointing out the continued hypocrisy of the left. They were outraged by a bakery choosing who they did business with. They could give a damn when one of their own are censoring.

We currently have giants in Google, Amazon, FB, Microsoft and others controlled by libs.

If it swings the other way I assume there will be no outrage with isms and phobes. Of course we know that’s pie in the sky.
I notice that you have the habit of acting like you know what people of different political persuasions are thinking or feeling. Notice how many times you used the third person plural pronoun in your post. "They" seem to upset you. This was a business decision made by a business, but you seem to be hellbent on blaming it on some other "them", who do nefarious shit all the time.
If only we could get rid of "them", this country would be great again. By placing people in that "them" box, they are much easier to hate and blame.

Amazon can do as they please. But if their lefty owner wasn’t a massive hypocrite they would be selling this book. If he had any balls he’d quit with “it’s against our policy standards” and say “**** you righties, we ain’t sellin your books”. I can live with that. Just don’t give me bullshit it was within their standards for three years becoming a best seller and now there’s a problem.

Okay. You have answered your own question. "Amazon can do as they please". Take your book buying business to Barnes & Noble.

So, this is about "Their lefty owner". You're canceling lefties? Isn't that "cancel culture"?

Amazon makes far far more off govt contracts, than they do off all consumer goods purchases put together.

I tried to confirm this with a google sesrch and only found that the top three revenue streams are “online stores”, third party seller servicing and AWS. I suppose AWS contains a ton of government contracts (it alone accounts for 1/3 of the global cloud computing market) but what of #’s 1 & 2?

here’s where I got my info:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/how-amazon-makes-its-money/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT