ADVERTISEMENT

More Censorship

Hypocrisy? Hypocrisy might apply if "cancel culture" really were somehow an invention of the Left. However, HISTORY tells us otherwise...

The "hypocrisy" is the people who had no problem with Country Radio stations and DJs joining together and boycotting the playing of Dixie Chick albums. If "private censorship" exists as some want to claim then THIS is Censorship because NO radio stations were playing any Chick albums to the Chicks target market- Country music...

On the other hand, Amazon is making a decision for THEIR Marketplace space, and is not trying to keep anyone from READING the book or being able to purchase it from ANYONE else. THAT is NOT Censorship, just like Joe Blow's Christian bookstore deciding to refuse to carry what it deems objectionable material is also NOT censorship.

Now for the yabuuttt crowd... Isn't that basically your way of deflecting from examining your own hypocrisy? I mean the policy had to originate SOMEWHERE,and I remember consumer boycotts basically originating as early as the 60s against people like Jim Morrison and The Beatles. In other words from folks on the RIGHT of the political spectrum...

Along with examples like those and what happened to the Chicks, I think it would be pretty hard for any of you to REALISTICALLY try and claim "cancel culture" is an invention of the Left. Anybody remember anyone on the Left in 1960-66 influential enough to "cancel" anyone, as relates to the population as a whole?

Yet the usual suspects seem to want to pretend they are only reflecting both sides, to try and hide their hypocritical claims that the Left is somehow to blame for engaging in the same sort of mass-market influence/ boycotts that the Right in this country wrote the book on...I guess that sort of twisted logical fallacy will work if you are posting to appeal to VanPastor Man or Mas... Congrats???
The Lennon boycott.

Reactions: cosmickid
Hypocrisy? Hypocrisy might apply if "cancel culture" really were somehow an invention of the Left. However, HISTORY tells us otherwise...

The "hypocrisy" is the people who had no problem with Country Radio stations and DJs joining together and boycotting the playing of Dixie Chick albums. If "private censorship" exists as some want to claim then THIS is Censorship because NO radio stations were playing any Chick albums to the Chicks target market- Country music...

On the other hand, Amazon is making a decision for THEIR Marketplace space, and is not trying to keep anyone from READING the book or being able to purchase it from ANYONE else. THAT is NOT Censorship, just like Joe Blow's Christian bookstore deciding to refuse to carry what it deems objectionable material is also NOT censorship.

Now for the yabuuttt crowd... Isn't that basically your way of deflecting from examining your own hypocrisy? I mean the policy had to originate SOMEWHERE,and I remember consumer boycotts basically originating as early as the 60s against people like Jim Morrison and The Beatles. In other words from folks on the RIGHT of the political spectrum...

Along with examples like those and what happened to the Chicks, I think it would be pretty hard for any of you to REALISTICALLY try and claim "cancel culture" is an invention of the Left. Anybody remember anyone on the Left in 1960-66 influential enough to "cancel" anyone, as relates to the population as a whole?

Yet the usual suspects seem to want to pretend they are only reflecting both sides, to try and hide their hypocritical claims that the Left is somehow to blame for engaging in the same sort of mass-market influence/ boycotts that the Right in this country wrote the book on...I guess that sort of twisted logical fallacy will work if you are posting to appeal to VanPastor Man or Mas... Congrats???
You can be wrong far more economically than this...geez. And fyi Hoops, Bilk, Stiffshit, & others that can’t read a dictionary, economically can be used in contexts other than money...

I think so.

Looking it up, circa 1970 it started in the building where Uptown is, then it moved over by The Tap's location before its final location.
Thank you. I kept thinking it was on Walnut, but now I realize I was thinking of Caveat Emptor.

My book buying binge was essentially the 90s. I got to know Joie then, and we've remain good friends ever since. By the end of the decade I'd gotten into home computing and the Internet and that all fell by the wayside.

You can be wrong far more economically than this...geez. And fyi Hoops, Bilk, Stiffshit, & others that can’t read a dictionary, economically can be used in contexts other than money...
So, I think I was very cordial in posts with you in this thread. We just disagreed, slightly, and most of my posts to you were phrased as respectful questions. And yet, you refer to me as "Bilk", and imply that I can't read? I can only assume that's the level of discourse you want?

So, I think I was very cordial in posts with you in this thread. We just disagreed, slightly, and most of my posts to you were phrased as respectful questions. And yet, you refer to me as "Bilk", and imply that I can't read? I can only assume that's the level of discourse you want?

He may just have issues with learning how to spell.

It's amazing how much braver the conservatives got after losing a Presidential election.

In my attempts to reason it quickly became apparent that with some of you it’s just not possible. Its one thing when people have disagreements in matters of opinion, but when people refuse to accept that a word means what is stated in every dictionary because of their politics, there is no honest discussion to be had. In addition to this, in the posts prior to this you used the words dumbass, butthurt, & suggested someone can only read well enough to consume Dr. Seuss books because they disagreed with you. It’s only a matter of time before you revert to those tactics with me. You have months of being a douche to me & everyone who thinks differently than you, yet you make a couple of civil posts & suddenly don’t understand why you get no respect.🙄. Prove me wrong...

It's amazing how much braver the conservatives got after losing a Presidential election.
1. Check my posting history, your statement is bs.
2. The only Republican I voted for was Holcomb, my guys won the election, your statement is bs.

It seems your willing to post pointless, inaccurate lies , & you think it makes me look bad?😂😂😂

Wedding cakes are on their menu. They refused to make one for a non-traditional couple.

Masterpiece's owner Jack Phillips, who is a Christian, declined their cake request, informing the couple that he did not create wedding cakes for marriages of gay couples owing to his Christian religious beliefs, although the couple could purchase other baked goods in the store.

If you don't want to sell wedding cakes for everyone having a wedding then you shouldn't be in the business of making wedding cakes. I wouldn't have issue if they took wedding cakes off their menu.

So no, still wacko.
I was reading further and he did offer to sell these wedding cakes, but they refused.
iu
2e6d8b89fdd78e3fd5283a286d873fae.jpg

Reactions: IU_Hickory
In my attempts to reason it quickly became apparent that with some of you it’s just not possible. Its one thing when people have disagreements in matters of opinion, but when people refuse to accept that a word means what is stated in every dictionary because of their politics, there is no honest discussion to be had. In addition to this, in the posts prior to this you used the words dumbass, butthurt, & suggested someone can only read well enough to consume Dr. Seuss books because they disagreed with you. It’s only a matter of time before you revert to those tactics with me. You have months of being a douche to me & everyone who thinks differently than you, yet you make a couple of civil posts & suddenly don’t understand why you get no respect.🙄. Prove me wrong...
Fair enough.
I do apologize for one thing...giving the impression that I was seeking your respect. I was just asking for your motivation, and you have made it clear. I will view all your subsequent posts, to everyone you disagree with, through a more informed set of lenses.
Carry on.

Last edited:
Fair enough.
I do apologize for one thing...giving the impression that I was seeking your respect. I was just asking for your motivation, and you have made it clear. I will view all your subsequent posts, to everyone you disagree with, through a more informed set of lenses.
Carry on.
Blue tinted, no doubt...

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Yes. All this shit about censorship is f*****g stupid. And, of course, it’s all from the cons. The party bitching about cancel culture while simultaneously doing everything they can to cancel people’s ability to vote.

It's delusional how they want to call dems being hypocrites when all they really need is a good mirror to find hypocrites.

The old Book Nook in Bloomington, on Kirkwood, just before Indiana, was the best bookstore ever.
Across from the Von Lee Theater and the parking lot at Kirkwood and Indiana. Close to the law school.
I knew all that. I'm just trying to remember if the Book Corner was Howard's before it was the Book Corner.

I do not think so. I think Book Corner and Howard's were both around when I arrived in 79.

Howard's was 1 space east of where Uptown is.

Book Nook was at one time in the space on Indiana Av that became The Gables, and that space was The Book Nook when Hoagy used the piano there to write Stardust.

believe it maybe was though across from the Von Lee at some point.

Caveat Emptor made it's way to Walnut at some time, but was originally, (or at one time pre Walnut anyway), on Indiana Ave, just north of The Gables/Garcia's Pizza space, and a few doors up from Karma. (don't really recall it as a "bookstore" per se though).

Yes. All this shit about censorship is f*****g stupid. And, of course, it’s all from the cons. The party bitching about cancel culture while simultaneously doing everything they can to cancel people’s ability to vote.
And, it's coming from the party that cancels any Republican that dares to criticize Trump or even just gives him something less than 100% unbridled support.

Ridiculous. You refer to concerns over the chipping away at the childhood common culture and digital self censorship as “stupid”.

While embracing radical HR-1 legislation that would undermine all remaining confidence in our election process if passed.

You’re a fool, but from you’re posting history you’ll likely never admit to as much.

Last edited:
Ridiculous. You refer to concerns over the chipping away at the childhood common culture and digital self censorship as “stupid”.

While embracing radical HR-1 legislation that would undermine all remaining confidence in our election process if passed.

You’re a fool, but from you’re posting history you’ll likely never admit to as much.
Lol

When you go home and think about this tonight, you should take comfort in all the reasons the Republicans have given us to think that the 2020 election was more secure and credible than any election in memory.

Just think about it -- more than 60 lawsuits were filed all around the country to challenge numerous aspects of the election, using a wide varety of legal theories, many of them unusual and never previously attempted. What previous election has been tested in court so many times and in so many places?

These lawsuits were championed by Donald Trump, who tells us he is one of the world's foremost strategists. He was assisted by a powerhouse team of lawyers, including Rudy Giuliani, Lin Wood and Sydney Powell. What previous election challenges were conducted by such legal talent?

The challengers were supported by virtually unlimited funds for legal fees, including Trump's own, limitless (though undocumented) personal fortune and several fine-printed PAC's that gave him control over hundreds of millions of dollars to spend on election challenges. What previous election challenges were so well funded?

And, the drumbeat of claims of "election fraud" were so loud that they began echoing about two months before the election. No potential witness to later "election fraud" could ever have been unaware that his/her sworn testimony was going to be needed to resolve any possible uncertainties whatsoever about our election. Surely, all those Republican election witnesses knew they needed to keep their eyes open and, doubtless, they were watchful.

Yet, despite all these advantages, the Republicans thankfully failed to prove even one, single instance of "election fraud" anywhere in the whole country. All their lawsuits were thrown out of court for lack of evidence.

I am eminently thankful that the Republicans proved the 2020 election was credible, given their diligence and extensive review of the facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT