ADVERTISEMENT

Mitt Romney

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
I watched a Netflix doc on his 2012 run. Very handsome man. Was 65 then. Dream Team I know we knife him as a RINO but the things he supported then are the things we like. I ended the video with mixed feelings. Seemed like a very nice guy. Even funny. And again generally supports what I support. Lots of good stuff. The things he predicted coming down the pike describe Biden’s presidency to the letter. What was yucky was that you just got the vibe that he wanted the position. That getting the position, getting elected, was priority one above all things. Not serving. Not be informed. Etc. Very elite and not relatable and not what we avg joes would want in a rep. And I suspect that is true on both sides with high end politicians. We are not their top concern. Their sating their career desires is their top concern

Last edited:
I watched a Netflix doc on his 2012 run. Very handsome man. Was 65 then. Dream Team I know we knife him as a RINO but the things he supported then are the things we like. I ended the video with mixed feelings. Seemed like a very nice guy. Even funny. And again generally supports what I support. Lots of good stuff. The things he predicted coming down the pike describe Biden’s presidency to the letter. What was yucky was that you just got the vibe that he wanted the position. That getting the position, getting elected, was priority one above all things. Not serving. Not be informed. Etc. Very elite and not relatable and not what we avg joes would want in a rep. And I suspect that is true on both sides with high end politicians. We are not their top concern. Their sating their career desires is their top concern
Phrases like RINO are projections, and now you're left with nothing. You won't vote for a Democrat, likely not even one you deem moderate. You turned your back true conservatism, and you claim not like the whack jobs on the fringe right.

You're out here thinking you're the Dream Team but really it's just Lord of the Flies. The primaries offer you a chance at making yourself feel normal, but by next summer, if Trump isn't on a path to prison, you'll be back toeing the line.

Reactions: vesuvius13

You're about to get knifed by some of your own.

Phrases like RINO are projections, and now you're left with nothing. You won't vote for a Democrat, likely not even one you deem moderate. You turned your back true conservatism, and you claim not like the whack jobs on the fringe right.

You're out here thinking you're the Dream Team but really it's just Lord of the Flies. The primaries offer you a chance at making yourself feel normal, but by next summer, if Trump isn't on a path to prison, you'll be back toeing the line.
Dbm has outlined why he likes trump as compared to Romney types. So has coh. Valid differences. . As for your comments on me I have a Bach in poly sci. A master’s in public admin. Finished the coursework for a phd in public policy and urban planning and have a law degree. Stay in your lane when you respond to me like that. Just like sports you’re out of your league with me

Last edited:
We welcome open debate. And again trump policies are not congruent with traditional conservatives. It’s basically two parties. Telling them to go vote for a bush type makes no sense

If you can find them, tape phone books around yourself.

I saw a doc once and that's what someone did so that the knife wouldn't get all the way through.

I'm just looking out for your safety.

Cannot let the thought of a president waking up each morning concerned about the "we" in We the People go by unnoticed.

We are all different. We have different problems, different ideas about solving them, and different ideas about the roles of those we elect in solving them.

Was never more disappointed in Mitt than when he showed up on the 2012 election campaign wearing blue jeans. Said to myself, "This isn't Mitt, this is some guy trying to get elected".

Along the same lines, when a politician tells me he wants to serve me, I just smile to myself.

By the way, Mitt's time may have come. However, his party is going in a much different direction. Ball caps and long red ties instead of blue jeans.

Cannot let the thought of a president waking up each morning concerned about the "we" in We the People go by unnoticed.

We are all different. We have different problems, different ideas about solving them, and different ideas about the roles of those we elect in solving them.

Was never more disappointed in Mitt than when he showed up on the 2012 election campaign wearing blue jeans. Said to myself, "This isn't Mitt, this is some guy trying to get elected".

Along the same lines, when a politician tells me he wants to serve me, I just smile to myself.

By the way, Mitt's time may have come. However, his party is going in a much different direction. Ball caps and long red ties instead of blue jeans.
That was my take

My daughter was an inbed reporter through a joint agreement between National Journal, for whom she worked at the time, and MSNBC. She was assigned to the Romney campaign in that election cycle.

The Romney campaign was near Cincinnati at one point and we ended up with six of the inbedded reporters, all from different groups (WAPO, NYT, etc), at our home one evening for dinner.

A lively discussion followed as we’re hardly liberal and all six of the reporters admitted to being very liberal. To a person, they liked Romney as an individual and felt he was an honest and honorable man and would make a fine president. But each said they would never vote for him. I don’t know what that really says about Romney but it sure said a lot about the bias of the media, not that that’s news.

I think Romney would have made a great president and really hoped he‘d defeat Obama. He just didn’t have the campaigning chops and I don’t feel he ever had the complete conservative beliefs to dig down and fight the good fight. This is all the base wants. Don’t be so quick to compromise on principles.

My daughter was an inbed reporter through a joint agreement between National Journal, for whom she worked at the time, and MSNBC. She was assigned to the Romney campaign in that election cycle.

The Romney campaign was near Cincinnati at one point and we ended up with six of the inbedded reporters, all from different groups (WAPO, NYT, etc), at our home one evening for dinner.

A lively discussion followed as we’re hardly liberal and all six of the reporters admitted to being very liberal. To a person, they liked Romney as an individual and felt he was an honest and honorable man and would make a fine president. But each said they would never vote for him. I don’t know what that really says about Romney but it sure said a lot about the bias of the media, not that that’s news.

I think Romney would have made a great president and really hoped he‘d defeat Obama. He just didn’t have the campaigning chops and I don’t feel he ever had the complete conservative beliefs to dig down and fight the good fight. This is all the base wants. Don’t be so quick to compromise on principles.
as for campaigning chops he seemed to lack confidence which was odd for such an accomplished guy. if that's the same lawyer daughter she's had a hell of an interesting career

Lol…I saw him speak about some of his policies. Whether you call him a RINO or something else, One thing I wouldn’t call him is fiscally conservative. However, neither is Trump, which is why our government sucks. There isn’t a fiscally Conservative Party. The options are really bad and a little better.
warned against greater gov and entitlements and highlighted the importance of building up small business etc. noted his private sector experience w/ funding businesses and helping them grow. sam fox, former ambassador to belgium i believe appointed by bush sr started the harbour group here that does the same thing. romney and fox are certainly a type that leans heavily conservative and i understand would be a turn off to many. then he went on about how unfair it is to tax the rich and one could infer he's a believer in trickle down which so many of my brethren conservatives believe and i do not. i think the reality is that we aren't going to be congruent with all of a politician's positions so we just have to go with the majority. and if the behavior of a candidate is so unseemly as to make him unfit, ala aloha and bowlmania, i think that's understandable and okay too

Dbm has outlined why he likes trump as compared to Romney types. So has coh. Valid differences. . As for your comments on me I have a Bach in poly sci. A master’s in public admin. Finished the coursework for a phd in public policy and urban planning and have a law degree. Stay in your lane when you respond to me like that. Just like sports you’re out of your league with me
It was about those who've projected RINO onto others. If you identify with that, so be it, but that's on you not me. Impressive resumé. Didn't ask for it, but I look forward to you putting it to use when you have discussions on here.

It was about those who've projected RINO onto others. If you identify with that, so be it, but that's on you not me. Impressive resumé. Didn't ask for it, but I look forward to you putting it to use when you have discussions on here.
You you’re was what you wrote repeatedly not they those

I wouldn't tell anyone who your daughter was in bed with, but that she was embedded with Romney's campaign is cool.

Reactions: UncleMark
I voted for Romney over Obama and I would vote for him over Biden. Outside of that, I am really not much of a fan. I think that Romney is a microcosm of my issue with the GOP as a whole. I think that when you get to the top of the organization that they are mostly interested in two things 1)the trappings of office and 2)the financial well being of their most important ($$$$$) donors.

The latter happens and some of the stuff that comes out of that isn't always bad, but it does lead to tunnel vision. The former is a killer. There are so many other things outside the tax code that are important to the trajectory of the country and if you don't have deeply held core beliefs built around those things, you aren't a reliable standard bearer for the same. That means poor messaging, poor policy construction, and a tendency to capitulate when pressed. So we have a party who is led by people whose primary focus (when you get down to what they really fight for) is tax code and things that tend to benefit larger donors (regulations, crony capitalism, etc.) The majority of the GOP electorate isn't seeing huge amounts of tax relief anymore, many of them pay an extremely low effective rate after credits and such. People don't want to be overtaxed but that isn't animating people now.

Romney was/is milquetoast.

I voted for Romney over Obama and I would vote for him over Biden. Outside of that, I am really not much of a fan. I think that Romney is a microcosm of my issue with the GOP as a whole. I think that when you get to the top of the organization that they are mostly interested in two things 1)the trappings of office and 2)the financial well being of their most important ($$$$$) donors.

The latter happens and some of the stuff that comes out of that isn't always bad, but it does lead to tunnel vision. The former is a killer. There are so many other things outside the tax code that are important to the trajectory of the country and if you don't have deeply held core beliefs built around those things, you aren't a reliable standard bearer for the same. That means poor messaging, poor policy construction, and a tendency to capitulate when pressed. So we have a party who is led by people whose primary focus (when you get down to what they really fight for) is tax code and things that tend to benefit larger donors (regulations, crony capitalism, etc.) The majority of the GOP electorate isn't seeing huge amounts of tax relief anymore, many of them pay an extremely low effective rate after credits and such. People don't want to be overtaxed but that isn't animating people now.

And that disconnect with the working conservative is what trump tapped with maga

You you’re was what you wrote repeatedly not they those
It's the general 'you'. Just because you have a Masters and finished your PhD coursework doesn't alter how the English language is used. You'd have a point if I didn't open with the context of my point.

I got a little more specific in the second paragraph, but the Dream Team is a reference to a group of people.

I'm just over here ducking the landmines of big thinkers.

It's the general 'you'. Just because you have a Masters and finished your PhD coursework doesn't alter how the English language is used. You'd have a point if I didn't open with the context of my point.

I got a little more specific in the second paragraph, but the Dream Team is a reference to a group of people.

I'm just over here ducking the landmines of big thinkers.

Stop

Stop
Yep.

Whatever group you think is the Dream Team. As I said, I drilled down some in the second paragraph.

You'll be OK.

And that disconnect with the working conservative is what trump tapped with maga

He did, but there are a whole bunch of Trump's fan boys that are being just as stupid as the GOP establishment. Political parties are a coalition of people who generally agree on a philosophy to approach governance but who will also ultimately have some disagreements as to where to put the most emphasis.

When the Trump supporters are lashing out at everyone (including people like DeSantis), it really makes this look more and more like a party built around one dude who is pushing 80 and has only one more term left in him even if he can win. That isn't the prescription for a long term party. Whaling away on potential political allies with stupid shit like their choice of footwear? That isn't a serious party.

A bunch of the Trump mouthpieces out there right now are really turning me off. I think some of the stuff they are pushing is as dangerous as what is coming from the left. On certain issues they sound EXACTLY like the leftists we used to be against just a decade or two ago. If it is Biden or Trump it feels like a choice in how you want to tear the country apart because that is the platform of each at the moment. One of them has a vision of what the rebuild would look like (and I REALLY despise their world view) and the other has the rip it down part but not much other than sloganeering (that changes as the whims of its slogan-slinger change) and not much else.

And unfortunately the main third party candidate is a lunatic.

He did, but there are a whole bunch of Trump's fan boys that are being just as stupid as the GOP establishment. Political parties are a coalition of people who generally agree on a philosophy to approach governance but who will also ultimately have some disagreements as to where to put the most emphasis.

When the Trump supporters are lashing out at everyone (including people like DeSantis), it really makes this look more and more like a party built around one dude who is pushing 80 and has only one more term left in him even if he can win. That isn't the prescription for a long term party. Whaling away on potential political allies with stupid shit like their choice of footwear? That isn't a serious party.

A bunch of the Trump mouthpieces out there right now are really turning me off. I think some of the stuff they are pushing is as dangerous as what is coming from the left. On certain issues they sound EXACTLY like the leftists we used to be against just a decade or two ago. If it is Biden or Trump it feels like a choice in how you want to tear the country apart because that is the platform of each at the moment. One of them has a vision of what the rebuild would look like (and I REALLY despise their world view) and the other has the rip it down part but not much other than sloganeering (that changes as the whims of its slogan-slinger change) and not much else.

co-sign. and the sad part is both parties have "normal" viable candidates

Even Average Joes realize that an average tax cut of $1,000-1,500 per family, while nice, is not as beneficial to them as a better healthcare system would be. That's why Trump campaigned on healthcare so much in the 2016 campaign

The average cost of a dental crown is $500 to $3,000. The average cost of a natural birth baby is $5,000 to $11,000 (or more, if there are complications, Caesarian, etc.).

Expenses like that would eat up their share of the 2017 tax cut, and of course, health costs are rising all the time.

Even Average Joes realize that an average tax cut of $1,000-1,500 per family, while nice, is not as beneficial to them as a better healthcare system would be. That's why Trump campaigned on healthcare so much in the 2016 campaign

The average cost of a dental crown is $500 to $3,000. The average cost of a natural birth baby is $5,000 to $11,000 (or more, if there are complications, Caesarian, etc.).

Expenses like that would eat up their share of the 2017 tax cut, and of course, health costs are rising all the time.
$8,000 I paid for my daughter’s braces. And dental coverage is worthless

Yeah but none if them are serious about actually paying for any of that stuff. Every President races to overspend the last.

If you can find them, tape phone books around yourself.

I saw a doc once and that's what someone did so that the knife wouldn't get all the way through.

I'm just looking out for your safety.
They got that from The Wire! 😎

I reject a third party as some kind of panacea for our political problems. Canada has a strong and viable third party. The U.K. does as well. Australia, Brazil. People are going batshit at BiBi because he had to build a coalition with parties In the Knesset that are perceived as extremely far right.

It doesn’t solve anything. You end up having to build coalitions with extremists and give them even more power that if they were just congressional back benchers.

I reject a third party as some kind of panacea for our political problems. Canada has a strong and viable third party. The U.K. does as well. Australia, Brazil. People are going batshit at BiBi because he had to build a coalition with parties In the Knesset that are perceived as extremely far right.

It doesn’t solve anything. You end up having to build coalitions with extremists and give them even more power that if they were just congressional back benchers.

I am not saying I value a third party much, I don't know how well it would work with our system. What I am saying is that our emerging choices appear to be Meh, Yuck, and WTF?.

You won't vote for a Democrat, likely not even one you deem moderate. You turned your back true conservatism, and you claim not like the whack jobs on the fringe right.
I think he'd vote for Shapiro or Beshear.

spies-like-us-doctor.gif

i'm unbreakable
How's the neck again?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

"A bunch of the Trump mouthpieces out there right now are really turning me off. I think some of the stuff they are pushing is as dangerous as what is coming from the left. On certain issues they sound EXACTLY like the leftists we used to be against just a decade or two ago."

What issues would those be, for you?

"A bunch of the Trump mouthpieces out there right now are really turning me off. I think some of the stuff they are pushing is as dangerous as what is coming from the left. On certain issues they sound EXACTLY like the leftists we used to be against just a decade or two ago."

What issues would those be, for you?

Going after DeSantis (most notably) and other people who are the right flank of the GOP for one, they sound like the old school left on foreign policy for two, and for three there is a smattering of content that reminds me of what is coming out of Harvard w.r.t. this whole issue in Israel as well. That is a start.

as for campaigning chops he seemed to lack confidence which was odd for such an accomplished guy. if that's the same lawyer daughter she's had a hell of an interesting career
The Kid Down the Hall is the attorney. The Liberal Princess used the campaign gig to land an on-air correspondent spot with CNN. Then went into political/communications consulting and worked with Howard Schultz, John Hickenlooper and Bloomberg on their short presidential runs (we call her Campaign Killer), followed by her current gig at Meta. Also half-way+ through getting her MBA at MIT.

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
The Kid Down the Hall is the attorney. The Liberal Princess used the campaign gig to land an on-air correspondent spot with CNN. Then went into political/communications consulting and worked with Howard Schultz, John Hickenlooper and Bloomberg on their short presidential runs (we call her Campaign Killer), followed by her current gig at Meta. Also half-way+ through getting her MBA at MIT.
Jesus. Baller kids. At this point my goals are to not have the girl pregnant in high school and for the boy an incident report free friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT