ADVERTISEMENT

Mitt Romney

The Kid Down the Hall is the attorney. The Liberal Princess used the campaign gig to land an on-air correspondent spot with CNN. Then went into political/communications consulting and worked with Howard Schultz, John Hickenlooper and Bloomberg on their short presidential runs (we call her Campaign Killer), followed by her current gig at Meta. Also half-way+ through getting her MBA at MIT.
She single?

She's too old for McMurt, but I'm scouting second wives. I have a combine coming up, so . . .

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and Morrison
But what if one or both of your two parties are the extremists? And the third party is the middle? What then?
Unlikely to stay that way for long. There are center left and center right parties, but a middle party whose principles are what? Compromise? Splitting the difference? You still need some sort sort of political ideology to stand on and coalesce behind.

She single?

She's too old for McMurt, but I'm scouting second wives. I have a combine coming up, so . . .
Run.

Monstrously high maintenance.

Had a bad breakup with a lobbyist/lawyer in DC, with whom she bought a house. The immature ass missed his apartment close to the Hill, where he could roll out of bed and bike to work or to get coffee.

There’s a contract out.

Run.

Had a bad breakup with a lobbyist/lawyer in DC, with whom she bought a house. The immature ass missed his apartment close to the Hill, where he could roll out of bed and bike to work or to get coffee.

There’s a contract out.
Sounds like just the kind of woman who I will end up with.

I better let her age a little more so she's more desperate though.

Run.

There’s a contract out.
She likes soccer, doesn't she?

Kinda agree, except to ask, How do we know for sure a Mitt or a Hillary would have been a good president ?

Also being either a good or bad presidents can be the result of simply being in office at the right time. Finally, good or bad can be just a matter of opinion.
I suspect a Romney administration would have resulted in much the same effects as the second Obama administration.

All that is true. In addition, I like presidents, governors etc who have accomplishments outside of being elected or appointed to some office.
Yep, a well rounded president or governor should have experiences outside of just serving in elected office.

Past presidents with such a background include some twenty five who were lawyers Other fields include military, haberdashery, peanut farming, movie acting, engineering, and real estate developing.

CoH, do you have any thoughts about why so many lawyers are attracted to politics ?

Yep, a well rounded president or governor should have experiences outside of just serving in elected office.

Past presidents with such a background include some twenty five who were lawyers Other fields include military, haberdashery, peanut farming, movie acting, engineering, and real estate developing.

CoH, do you have any thoughts about why so many lawyers are attracted to politics ?
Flies to shit?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

interesting question.

First of all, most of the politicians to whom you refer are not really lawyers. They are just people with a law degree. They never made a career of practicing law. Biden and Obama are examples.

But your larger point is important in that lawyers deal with the results of government and law making daily. They are familiar with the problems and probably think they can do it better.

interesting question.

First of all, most of the politicians to whom you refer are not really lawyers. They are just people with a law degree. They never made a career of practicing law. Biden and Obama are examples.

But your larger point is important in that lawyers deal with the results of government and law making daily. They are familiar with the problems and probably think they can do it better.
For partly the same reasons as you posted, I think we generally have better Presidents if they either come from Congress or have served as governor. To me, it's important that a President accept that he's not king-of-the-world and needs to work with people to get things done when acting in a government role. It doesn't matter so much if Presidents are actually trained as lawyers or not.

FDR, Carter, Reagan, Clinton and Bush Jr. were all Governors. As Governors (and as Presidents), they did not always get their way and had to adapt accordingly. Some of them were good and some were not so good.

The only recent Presidents I can think of who were not Governors or from Congress were Eisenhower and Trump. However, General Eisenhower previously dealt for at least 6-7 years with politics (think Roosevelt and Marshall) and getting along with competing interests of powerful pricks (think Patton, McArthur, Montgomery and Churchill), plus operating on a limited budget and limited supplies coming to him from 3500 miles away.

That leaves you-know-who, who never worked in government, who inherited a non-corporate family business that never required him to learn how to bargain with adverse opponents (like boards of directors or shareholders) and whose signature negotiating tactic is to threaten to walk away from the negotiation if he doesn't get his way.

His paramount campaign promise in 2016 was that, on his first day in office, he would demand he be presented with legislation to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare with something better.

He never came close, because he never accepted that Congress can't act that fast, that a President has no power to enact laws and that walking away from negotiation doesn't do a President any good.

Love him if you want to. But Trump doesn't know how to give you the government his supporters say they you want.

For partly the same reasons as you posted, I think we generally have better Presidents if they either come from Congress or have served as governor. To me, it's important that a President accept that he's not king-of-the-world and needs to work with people to get things done when acting in a government role. It doesn't matter so much if Presidents are actually trained as lawyers or not.

FDR, Carter, Reagan, Clinton and Bush Jr. were all Governors. As Governors (and as Presidents), they did not always get their way and had to adapt accordingly. Some of them were good and some were not so good.

The only recent Presidents I can think of who were not Governors or from Congress were Eisenhower and Trump. However, General Eisenhower previously dealt for at least 6-7 years with politics (think Roosevelt and Marshall) and getting along with competing interests of powerful pricks (think Patton, McArthur, Montgomery and Churchill), plus operating on a limited budget and limited supplies coming to him from 3500 miles away.

That leaves you-know-who, who never worked in government, who inherited a non-corporate family business that never required him to learn how to bargain with adverse opponents (like boards of directors or shareholders) and whose signature negotiating tactic is to threaten to walk away from the negotiation if he doesn't get his way.

His paramount campaign promise in 2016 was that, on his first day in office, he would demand he be presented with legislation to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare with something better.

He never came close, because he never accepted that Congress can't act that fast, that a President has no power to enact laws and that walking away from negotiation doesn't do a President any good.

Love him if you want to. But Trump doesn't know how to give you the government his supporters say they you want.
Obama wasn't a Governor. His resume was probably the thinnest of any President in my lifetime.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

No one would be less relatable to every day Americans than a man who has spent 50 years in gov. No one. The less gov gets done and the more it leaves people alone the better. I’ll add no one is as gross having watch that romney doc as a lifelong politician. And finally no one has more fed gov experience than Biden and he’s been the worst president in my lifetime

Last edited:
All that is true. In addition, I like presidents, governors etc who have accomplishments outside of being elected or appointed to some office.
CoH, if you like presidential candidates who have accomplishments in addition to having been elected and appointed to office, you have to love Gavin Newsom :rolleyes: as per this Wiki link.

According to the link, Newsom's accomplishments include creating a business venture called PlumpJack Associates with more than 700 employees

Newsom sold this share of his San Francisco businesses when he became mayor in 2004.

In terms of appointments Newsom was supervisor of the San Francisco Health Department

Elective offices include Mayor of San Francisco (2004–2011). Lieutenant governor of California (2011–2019). Governor of California (2019–present)

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
CoH, if you like presidential candidates who have accomplishments in addition to having been elected and appointed to office, you have to love Gavin Newsom :rolleyes: as per this Wiki link.

According to the link, Newsom's accomplishments include creating a business venture called PlumpJack Associates with more than 700 employees

Newsom sold this share of his San Francisco businesses when he became mayor in 2004.

In terms of appointments Newsom was supervisor of the San Francisco Health Department

Elective offices include Mayor of San Francisco (2004–2011). Lieutenant governor of California (2011–2019). Governor of California (2019–present)
Isn't he related to some DC politician?

A few points:

The skills needed to be an effective legislator are not the skills needed to be an effective executive.

Walking away from negotiations or making the other side believe you will walk away is a very effective negotiating strategy. The more the other side wants you to give or do “X” the more leverage you have.

I think Trump knows how to make government better. He has no patience for government administrative bloat. One who has spent a career in government doesn’t see what is plain to see. We are all familiar with the bureaucratic burdens government places on all of us. The burdens government places on itself are worse. Trump began to slice and dice that and the swamp didn’t like it.

A few points:

The skills needed to be an effective legislator are not the skills needed to be an effective executive.

Walking away from negotiations or making the other side believe you will walk away is a very effective negotiating strategy. The more the other side wants you to give or do “X” the more leverage you have.

I think Trump knows how to make government better. He has no patience for government administrative bloat. One who has spent a career in government doesn’t see what is plain to see. We are all familiar with the bureaucratic burdens government places on all of us. The burdens government places on itself are worse. Trump began to slice and dice that and the swamp didn’t like it.
Art of the Deal son. I’m convinced a successful executive can be dropped in damn near any environment and thrive. It’s a skill set that I suspect just translates. You could drop that cocksucker Marcus lemonis in Biden’s chair and he’d get the gov working inside of a month.

Given two democrats with the same ideology, one with Obama’s resume and one with Newsom’s I’ll take Newsom any day.

Art of the Deal son. I’m convinced a successful executive can be dropped in damn near any environment and thrive. It’s a skill set that I suspect just translates. You could drop that cocksucker Marcus lemonis in Biden’s chair and he’d get the gov working inside of a month.
M66, trust neither you or I would be excited to have Elon Musk as president in site of his success in several fields with owning and running companies such as PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla Motors, Neuralink, and Boring Company as per this link,

M66, trust neither you or I would be excited to have Elon Musk as president in site of his success in several fields with owning and running companies such as PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla Motors, Neuralink, and Boring Company as per this link,
He’s a douche bag but I don’t know. I’d rather have than trump or Biden

Can't agree here Murt Tsu..

Guy out of Finance in NJ isn't going to shine in West Texas Petro , or Valley Tech, or Ag..

Regional social/other barriers..

Obama wasn't a Governor. His resume was probably the thinnest of any President in my lifetime.
Actually, Obama was both a U.S. Senator and an Illinois State Senator before President. So, he was a President with prior experience in Congress, which does fit the pattern my post discussed.

From memory, Truman, Nixon, Kennedy, Johnson, Ford, Bush Sr. were all former members of Congress. I may have left out a recent President or two. I still believe Eisenhower and Trump are the only Presidents since 1950 who were never in Congress and never served as Governor either.

Government experience matters. I don't think business experience has much relevance to serving in public office. Things like charging people $100 to reserve a picnic table in a city park in the summer is offensive -- the purpose of government is not to make a profit and I have no respect for a candidate that says he intends to run his offce "like a business." Privatization of prisons and highways is also offensive.

Reactions: UncleMark
Actually, Obama was both a U.S. Senator and an Illinois State Senator before President. So, he was a President with prior experience in Congress, which does fit the pattern my post discussed.

From memory, Truman, Nixon, Kennedy, Johnson, Ford, Bush Sr. were all former members of Congress. I may have left out a recent President or two. I still believe Eisenhower and Trump are the only Presidents since 1950 who were never in Congress and never served as Governor either.

Government experience matters. I don't think business experience has much relevance to serving in public office. Things like charging people $100 to reserve a picnic table in a city park in the summer is offensive -- the purpose of government is not to make a profit and I have no respect for a candidate that says he intends to run his offce "like a business." Privatization of prisons and highways is also offensive.
People in a cube on the general schedule getting colas are serving. “Serving in public office” for politicians is serving themselves

The public has more faith in crooked as hell trump to run the economy than 50 year gov ee Biden. Any argument of benefit of years in gov is thrown right out the window with the patent ineptitude Biden has demonstrated on all fronts

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT