ADVERTISEMENT

Mitt Romney

A few points:

The skills needed to be an effective legislator are not the skills needed to be an effective executive.

Walking away from negotiations or making the other side believe you will walk away is a very effective negotiating strategy. The more the other side wants you to give or do “X” the more leverage you have.

I think Trump knows how to make government better. He has no patience for government administrative bloat. One who has spent a career in government doesn’t see what is plain to see. We are all familiar with the bureaucratic burdens government places on all of us. The burdens government places on itself are worse. Trump began to slice and dice that and the swamp didn’t like it.
Trump was more than agreeable to "government administrative bloat" when it came to things like blocking appointments of federal judges by the prior administration. He relished the support of that part of the "swamp" named "McConnell." Trump didn't try to "slice and dice" McConnell's part of the "swamp."

Trump was so willing to "walk away" from negotiations to improve the healthcare system that he never walked back. Trump lost the vote on his healthcare bill in 2017 and never tried again, even though he still had at least 14 months with Republican control of both the House and Senate to submit an alternate healthcare bill that might have passed.

Kevin McCarthy and Jimmy Jordan also found out that walking away while saying take-or-leave-it doesn't accomplish very much in government.

Trump was more than agreeable to "government administrative bloat" when it came to things like blocking appointments of federal judges by the prior administration. He relished the support of that part of the "swamp" named "McConnell." Trump didn't try to "slice and dice" McConnell's part of the "swamp."

Trump was so willing to "walk away" from negotiations to improve the healthcare system that he never walked back. Trump lost the vote on his healthcare bill in 2017 and never tried again, even though he still had at least 14 months with Republican control of both the House and Senate to submit an alternate healthcare bill that might have passed.

Kevin McCarthy and Jimmy Jordan also found out that walking away while saying take-or-leave-it doesn't accomplish very much in government.
Don’t confuse the legislative process with what it takes to be an executive with the responsibility to make decisions on your own.

Don't forget -- Musk's societal upbringing comes from being raised by a wealthy family in South Africa and Canada. That hardly makes him "relatable to every day Americans" as you wrote in an earlier post.

Don't forget -- Musk's societal upbringing comes from being raised by a wealthy family in South Africa and Canada. That hardly makes him "relatable to every day Americans" as you wrote in an earlier post.
Musk’s family is pretty incredible. They are all like he is with their engineering and start ups

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
The public has more faith in crooked as hell trump to run the economy than 50 year gov ee Biden. Any argument of benefit of years in gov is thrown right out the window with the patent ineptitude Biden has demonstrated on all fronts
What are you talking about? Trump lost his last election by a significant electoral margin and is losing financial and political support every day.

Biden is no All-Star, but it's clear he's going to leave us with a country when he leaves office.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Don’t confuse the legislative process with what it takes to be an executive with the responsibility to make decisions on your own.

No kidding. That's the point. It's becoming damn near impossible for Presidents of either party to accomplish much more than putting out lame Executive Orders and threatening political retribution unless there is one party government.

What are you talking about? Trump lost his last election by a significant electoral margin and is losing financial and political support every day.

Biden is no All-Star, but it's clear he's going to leave us with a country when he leaves office.
Today!!!! You don’t think opinions have changed since vapid dumbass Biden took office.

Wake up man. Biden is a clown. An absolute clown. Anyone who votes for Biden at this point ought to have his head examined. Economy foreign policy and immigration. A man with 50 years of gov experience is less appealing than a narcissist crook

Reactions: DANC
Actually, Obama was both a U.S. Senator and an Illinois State Senator before President. So, he was a President with prior experience in Congress, which does fit the pattern my post discussed.

From memory, Truman, Nixon, Kennedy, Johnson, Ford, Bush Sr. were all former members of Congress. I may have left out a recent President or two. I still believe Eisenhower and Trump are the only Presidents since 1950 who were never in Congress and never served as Governor either.

Government experience matters. I don't think business experience has much relevance to serving in public office. Things like charging people $100 to reserve a picnic table in a city park in the summer is offensive -- the purpose of government is not to make a profit and I have no respect for a candidate that says he intends to run his offce "like a business." Privatization of prisons and highways is also offensive.
Obama had a couple years in the Illinois state legislature and two years in the US Senate. That’s a very weak resume. Eisenhower was Supreme Allied Commander in. WWII. There is hardly any job that would provide greater executive experience. Same with George Washington. Probably the perfect guy to be our first President.

I didn't confuse anything -- an effective President needs to be competent in both the legislative and executive functions.

Trump barricaded himself in his White House fortress pontificating with his outlier advisors about how he thought the world should be (particularly the electoral system) but was ineffective getting his legislation passed (with the exeption of the TCJA, which many in Congress already supported anyway).

Compared to FDR, LBJ or Reagan, Trump has the legislative skills of a dry stick. In fact, Biden himself has had more success getting his legislation enacted with only the thinnest of party support. That takes legislative skills that Trump doesn't even know about.

A President has to be good at both.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
No kidding. That's the point. It's becoming damn near impossible for Presidents of either party to accomplish much more than putting out lame Executive Orders and threatening political retribution unless there is one party government.
First, Obama presumed to give congress a todo list, then some years later, Speaker Pelosi said congress had a duty to give the president the spending he wanted. Both comments are abhorrent to Democracy as the founders intended. Congress is separate and co-equal. It’s high time it acts like it. FWIW, I think Speaker Johnson is that way, maybe to a fault. We’ll see.

Obama had a couple years in the Illinois state legislature and two years in the US Senate. That’s a very weak resume. Eisenhower was Supreme Allied Commander in. WWII. There is hardly any job that would provide greater executive experience. Same with George Washington. Probably the perfect guy to be our first President.
I agree about the value of Eisenhower's experience.. By your criteria, Bush Sr. probably has a weak resume too.

I agree about the value of Eisenhower's experience.. By your criteria, Bush Sr. probably has a weak resume too.
No. He had a strong resume. Military Officer. Cabinet level experience. VP. Very strong resume.

SOAB if soneone would have shown me that 17 years ago...
It wouldn't have changed anything, but got damn I would have known what my male progeny was leading me into!

The 5th grader though......... Ok once you reach 50, a 32 year old isn't that much of a reach ! Well not really if you think about it.
It's not dammit !
no it's not.

I was 39, she 24 when we met

67 and 52 now

You're safe then.
Oh really good one. Think you’re in pretty good shape too. Unless they are looking for people who are Putin and Hitler apologists, and actually seems as if too many Republicans are.

Yes, someone should point that out to him. I doubt he thought twice about saying that. Not a gaffe at all.
He said that’s what you Trumpsters think of all elected Republican Governors and Senators. This isn’t hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT