ADVERTISEMENT

Miami vs Texas Officiating

IndyMitchell

Benchwarmer
Apr 29, 2008
They are calling this game so much closer than they did w/ the IU game. I'm not sure it would have mattered but this type of a game would have definitely favored IU much better. They really let them play in the sweet 16 game.

They are calling this game so much closer than they did w/ the IU game. I'm not sure it would have mattered but this type of a game would have definitely favored IU much better. They really let them play in the sweet 16 game.
One of the differences is how teams are playing and it makes a difference in the calls. The biggest problem was IU wasn't ready to play

Reactions: Tscurlo
Teams that advanced are mentally tough and don't give up offensive rebounds. Miami knew they were tougher than us and set out to prove it.
The thing that’s really stood out to me watching all these games is how the good teams make a concerted effort to team rebound. Guards going to the glass like every board is gold. Far too often, I saw 4 guys stand flat-footed and watch Trayce jump. That’s just never gonna cut it against tough teams.

The thing that’s really stood out to me watching all these games is how the good teams make a concerted effort to team rebound. Guards going to the glass like every board is gold. Far too often, I saw 4 guys stand flat-footed and watch Trayce jump. That’s just never gonna cut it against tough teams.
I think a lot of fans were oversold on our talent level, but I absolutely agree that the coaching staff failed when it came to rebounding. It was a huge problem all year and a major issue in most of our losses. That has to be corrected or we will never be elite. Rebounding is nothing more than concentration and effort and it has to be demanded. Sometimes you get teams that just won't do it consistently, but my players always clearly understood that practice was going to be hell for a couple of days if we gave up a bunch of offensive rebounds. You can't just talk about it as a coach, you have to work at it and demand it. It;s especially critical if you tend to give up perimeter drives (which we did) and if you have an elite shot blocker (which we did as well). Those things force guys to have to rotate and screen out from tough positions. You're going to give up some offensive rebounds because of that, but not to the extent we did. That wasn't the only issue this team had, but IMO it was the most glaring and one that should have been possible for the coaching staff to fix.

I think a lot of fans were oversold on our talent level, but I absolutely agree that the coaching staff failed when it came to rebounding. It was a huge problem all year and a major issue in most of our losses. That has to be corrected or we will never be elite. Rebounding is nothing more than concentration and effort and it has to be demanded. Sometimes you get teams that just won't do it consistently, but my players always clearly understood that practice was going to be hell for a couple of days if we gave up a bunch of offensive rebounds. You can't just talk about it as a coach, you have to work at it and demand it. It;s especially critical if you tend to give up perimeter drives (which we did) and if you have an elite shot blocker (which we did as well). Those things force guys to have to rotate and screen out from tough positions. You're going to give up some offensive rebounds because of that, but not to the extent we did. That wasn't the only issue this team had, but IMO it was the most glaring and one that should have been possible for the coaching staff to fix.
I have heard Woodson comment on the rebounding effort after games when it was poor. I have to think that he just didn't feel he had the bench strength to sit guys for poor effort (unless he was just going to lose games to make a point, something that RMK would occasionally do but we weren't in a position to take any extra losses this season). Maybe since we lost many of those games anyway, he should have.

Reactions: oldcougar77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT