ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Stadium

Mar 10, 2024
Man, Memorial Stadium is not setup for a sellout crowd. The East concourse was gridlock the entire game. If you need to piss or a beer or food, plan on missing over half a quarter.

However, I’m not gonna complain. It is awesome to see the crowd. Just drink something besides beer before the game so you don’t have to use the bathroom.

Man, Memorial Stadium is not setup for a sellout crowd. The East concourse was gridlock the entire game. If you need to piss or a beer or food, plan on missing over half a quarter.

However, I’m not gonna complain. It is awesome to see the crowd. Just drink something besides beer before the game so you don’t have to use the bathroom.
The IU administration has no idea how to handle being successful. They weren’t expecting a season like this. Maybe they will wake up and put on big boy pants.

They’re definitely figuring things out as they go.

It took them til the 4th home game to get the Thunderstruck entrance down.

They’re still trying to figure out their big gimmick between the 3rd & 4th. They tried “Jump Around” yesterday. It did NOT get over with the crowd. They tested “Livin on a Prayer” which didn’t get too big of a reaction. The biggest reaction so far has been “We Will Rock You,” which is passe, but I guess we get what we get.

it’s slow, but what about “Turn the Page?” Probably Metallica version. Seems fairly appropriate

They’re still trying to figure out their big gimmick between the 3rd & 4th. They tried “Jump Around” yesterday. It did NOT get over with the crowd. They tested “Livin on a Prayer” which didn’t get too big of a reaction. The biggest reaction so far has been “We Will Rock You,” which is passe, but I guess we get what we get.

it’s slow, but what about “Turn the Page?” Probably Metallica version. Seems fairly appropriate
The right 4th quarter song/gimmick is quite the mystery.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yeah, crowds were pretty heavy. Wish the stadium music and IU band could get on the same page on who is doing what. They keep stepping on one another. And the whole jump around thing was stupid. Everyone knows that’s Wisconsin’s thing, why would we do that. Are we going to do Rocky Top or Dixieland delight next?

I like the We will Rock You with the connection to Heps Rock. I liked playing Small Town by Mellencamp. I like the song we play after a touchdown. I appreciate the efforts to improve the gameday experience but we still have work to do.

That’s totally normal for most places. Iowa was 100 times worse then IU on the concourses.

I kinda like the clapping song. It got one of the biggest reaction. Sounded cool with just the students doing it mostly, but would sound great with everyone,

I did fine with restrooms and food. Got there 45 minutes early and got food and two drinks at the walk through ones where you check yourself out. Went to the restroom twice when NE had the ball. I am on the aisle close to exit, but got in and out in minutes. Why can’t we have people come through the aisles with drinks like they do at pros?

It's gotta be DJ Kool!

It worked great vs Maryland, and they ditched it yesterday. BIG mistake!

I agree!! They scrapped everything good they had going on with the between plays/TV breaks experience at the MD game. The worst of which is bringing back Mr Loudmouth. Please please please get rid of that dude and figure something else out for marketing that doesn't embrass us and is enjoyable. Ranks right up there with the braces dude "What's a Hoosier" commercial for colossal embarrassing failures.

Try UGA stadium some time. can't move in te concourse and 9,000 smelly Ports Johns.
Yep. Stadiums are used 6-8x year and they're almost all old. UGA is a zoo, Penn State is so tightly packed you literally cannot get down the aisle, you're totally stuck, I swear it's flat out dangerous.

IU will make some adjustments as the larger crowds start to expose some issues that weren't noticeable before. People just need to figure out their own little strategy for bathroom and food.

Watching from home here in FL yesterday my wife and I commented on seeing the Hundred on the field and hearing the same ole Wipeout being played again. We graduated IU in the 90's and they were playing that on the field back then. Its a football game; time to let go of the "were a music school so we must keep it professional" and go out there and have some fun. Years ago IU hosted a team at Memorial Stadium for a football game (a small school team from Georgia, maybe Georgia Southern) and their small band was kick'in it and the IU fans were all on their feet. If that band was being adjudicated for tone quality, degree of difficulty, etc., they might have failed but in terms of getting fans amped up and entertained during a football game . . . A+.

Last edited:
The IU administration has no idea how to handle being successful. They weren’t expecting a season like this. Maybe they will wake up and put on big boy pants.

You take almost any chance to take a shot at IU and the administration.
And what's funny is how many posters told you how bad other stadiums are. Maybe their administration sucks too! :rolleyes:
Also, it was the administration that got us CCC in the first place!

We got there early and bought three waters, a hotdog, popcorn and a bag of peanuts. We drank the water by halftime and wanted more water but the lines sucked and I'm not a person to wait in a line. It was parchy the second half for my bunch...

Another thing they should consider is putting porta pots throughout the stadium. Waiting in line 20 minutes to pee in a trough sucks...

Reactions: IUgradman
You take almost any chance to take a shot at IU and the administration.
And what's funny is how many posters told you how bad other stadiums are. Maybe their administration sucks too! :rolleyes:
Also, it was the administration that got us CCC in the first place!
I blocked him long long ago for the same reasons.

Reactions: muubell
No one except the coaches and the team saw this coming. I heard that on other parts of the stadium concession and bathroom lines were reasonable.
But I have not seen a game there since 1971.

Watching from home here in FL yesterday my wife and I commented on seeing the Hundred on the field and hearing the same ole Wipeout being played again. We graduated IU in the 90's and they were playing that on the field back then. Its a football game; time to let go of the "were a music school so we must keep it professional" and go out there and have some fun. Years ago IU hosted a team at Memorial Stadium for a football game (a small school team from Georgia, maybe Georgia Southern) and there small band was kick'in it and the IU fans were all on their feet. If that band was being adjudicated for tone quality, degree of difficulty, etc., they might have failed but in terms of getting fans amped up and entertained during a football game . . . A+.
Hoosier wipeout was added in 2006. You’re misremembering in a big way.

There is a spot in the stadium where there is a very small line for both food and restrooms on the concourse…but I refuse to tell where. Ha. I got in and out from both in about 2 minutes yesterday at halftime.

Reactions: muubell and 76-1
Remember when I asked if anyone here wanted to go in on a suite in the SEZ? Pretty sure I posted it twice. No one here took me up on it. After reading the issues you all experienced yesterday, I am realizing how spoiled my crew is. Shelter, heated and/or cooled, private bar, private restrooms, free food with a different menu each week. No fuss at all regardless how big the crowd gets. 🙌

Florida sings a song by hometown hero Tom Petty. IU needs to sing something from Mellencamp. I suggest “Jack and Diane.”
It would have to be a catchy tune like Small Town. The band would probably have to play it in the stands for complete season first. Also pipe it in during pre-game warm ups.

Won’t back down tradition originated with Tom Petty’s death. Traditions generally take time and effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT