ADVERTISEMENT

McSwain

Andy06

Freshman
Apr 23, 2017
Honest question for those of you who have more football knowledge than me (likely many of you).

With the large number of tight ends in the NFL that were basketball players first, and turned into very good players (Antonio Gates, Marcus Pollard, and I think Tony Gonzalez...could be wrong on him). Why doesn't coach Allen offer McSwain a scholarship for next year to see what he can do.

He has the size and athleticism, and is built like a house. Years ago Greg Paulus took advantage of his fifth year of eligibility and played QB at Syracuse.

I think he would be a good hugh risk high reward if there's a spot open.

Honest question for those of you who have more football knowledge than me (likely many of you).

With the large number of tight ends in the NFL that were basketball players first, and turned into very good players (Antonio Gates, Marcus Pollard, and I think Tony Gonzalez...could be wrong on him). Why doesn't coach Allen offer McSwain a scholarship for next year to see what he can do.

He has the size and athleticism, and is built like a house. Years ago Greg Paulus took advantage of his fifth year of eligibility and played QB at Syracuse.

Has he ever played football? Greg Paulus was a highly rated QB out of HS. We don’t have a million scholarships to throw around for one year projects.

If Coaches wanted him (and willing to burn a scholly) it would be worth it because you can't teach athleticism at his size. Clearly think they could work him out enough to know if it's worth it. If he were really good, like the other BBall players who've gone pro he could just start working this summer and get a tryout at the NFL level. But if he's legit but there's a way (& he's willing) to do a year at IUFB, it would be a great move for him and the program. I bet he could do it, he is tough under the boards!

Has he ever played football? Greg Paulus was a highly rated QB out of HS. We don’t have a million scholarships to throw around for one year projects.

According to an old Indy Star article he played football and basketball in high school.

I understand there are a limited number of scholarships available. I also mentioned it was high risk high reward. I just think his size and athleticism would be worth a shot.

It is less of a risk giving him one of 88 scholarships for one year than it was for Crean giving Priller one of 13 for 4 years.

Reactions: HoosierFB
I think so...you have five years to compete from your matriculation date. He played two years of JUCO and two years at IU.

I believe he has one year of elligibility in another sport. If the rules have changed since Paulus did this I am not aware of it. Doesn't mean it hasn't been changed.

Side note, you don't have to be a dick.

NFL teams have much tighter roster restrictions and take chances like this all the time. Recently the Colts have kept roster spots open for projects like Erik Swope and Daniel Adango.

Usually one of the best assets a basketball player has in making the transition to football TE is having great hands. McSwain has hands of stone - it’s one of his biggest weaknesses. If he hasn’t developed good hands by now, I doubt he ever will

Reactions: Walt542
I think so...you have five years to compete from your matriculation date. He played two years of JUCO and two years at IU.

I believe he has one year of elligibility in another sport. If the rules have changed since Paulus did this I am not aware of it. Doesn't mean it hasn't been changed.

Personally, I'd give him a shot at TE in a heartbeat...

I lost track a long time ago as to how many scholarships we actually have left to give though, so that could be a serious sticking point.

I'm sure if it's doable and he'd like to give it a try the staff would attempt to find a way...

Should be interesting to see how it works out for him. I really like his hustle and toughness...

Usually one of the best assets a basketball player has in making the transition to football TE is having great hands. McSwain has hands of stone - it’s one of his biggest weaknesses. If he hasn’t developed good hands by now, I doubt he ever will

Valid point.

From what I saw he did a pretty good job grabbing rebounds the last few games.

Have our sports science doctor work on his hand eye coordination for a couple of months, and away we go... ;)

Personally, I'd just love to see a guy out there with his toughness run block.

He may or may not have time to pick up the technique he needs to play against an M$U but it seems worth a try...

Reactions: Andy06
You have never been more wrong. He has great hands. Very few times has he ever bobbled a ball. He gets a great handle on hard inlet passes as well as rebounds. No idea what you have been looking at.

That's why I think he would make a good DE.

Reactions: 82hoosier

My first initial thought was that he had "glass hands" but essentially the same thing. No way as a TE.

Side note, you don't have to be a dick.

NFL teams have much tighter roster restrictions and take chances like this all the time. Recently the Colts have kept roster spots open for projects like Erik Swope and Daniel Adango.
Yeah I agree. And both of those guys at least played some and were on the active roster. I could see mcswain translating to football. Appears to be a better athlete than even Jordan Fuchs, who would be his closest comparison (football/basketball). I think it’d be worth giving him a look.

Reactions: 76-1
One thing is basketball is a sport where you don’t really work on your hands. That’s fixable with practice and concentration. Get him on the jugs machine. The muscle memory can come into affect. I played with a lot of guys who couldn’t catch a basketball to save their lives, but when they trained and transitioned to baseball or football, they developed hands. The key would be would he be willing to get on the jugs for 1 hour a day and carry a tennis ball around to work on his hands? It’s 100% doable, and can be done in a short span (a few months), but requires practice EVERY DAY.

Reactions: 76-1
Why would IUFB need to use a scholarship? I believe the IU student/athlete bill of rights gives him tuition until he completes his degree.

Reactions: Chriselli
Why would IUFB need to use a scholarship? I believe the IU student/athlete bill of rights gives him tuition until he completes his degree.
That could get tricky. From my understanding, that’s if a player leaves the school, and later comes back to finish. The circumstances for leaving are iffy. So Cody latimer could totally come back due to the bill of rights and finish his degree because he went to the NFL early for example. But if a player with eligibility left just decided to play another sport, I don’t know if that’s covered.

Reactions: ESalum86
though the decades, at all schools, no doubt the fball coaches have drooled over some of the guys on the bball squad.

as a kid i recall reading that the Van Arsdales didn't exactly go unnoticed by the IU fball staff.

others who come to mind that one would think could play fball at a high level.

Ken Johnson, (went on to start on the Bengals D line for several yrs after playing only bball at IU).

McGinnis, (probably could have gone wherever he wanted on a fball scholly).

Buckner, Scott May, Harris Muzinivitch, (or whatever his last name was).

can't recall his name, but i recall a Mike Davis recruit from Alabama that the fball coaches must have noticed.

was it Trent Smock who played football 1 yr after he exhausted his bball eligibility. (or was it the other way around).

of course Cam Cameron and ARE played a little bball as well.

Hardy is another who comes to mind.

since high level bball players generally have good quicks, i suppose flat out speed is the one thing we can't gauge from watching them play bball.

McSwain seems to have really good quicks, so hard to think he's gone unnoticed by the football staff. (DE maybe if he doesn't have TE speed or hands).

i wonder how much being in the north or south, influences whether some go bball or fball.

Reactions: vesuvius13
though the decades, at all schools, no doubt the fball coaches have drooled over some of the guys on the bball squad.

as a kid i recall reading that the Van Arsdales didn't exactly go unnoticed by the IU fball staff.

others who come to mind that one would think could play fball at a high level.

Ken Johnson, (went on to start on the Bengals D line for several yrs after playing only bball at IU).

McGinnis, (probably could have gone wherever he wanted on a fball scholly).

Buckner, Scott May, Harris Muzinivitch, (or whatever his last name was).

can't recall his name, but i recall a Mike Davis recruit from Alabama that the fball coaches must have noticed.

was it Trent Smock who played football 1 yr after he exhausted his bball eligibility. (or was it the other way around).

of course Cam Cameron and ARE played a little bball as well.

Hardy is another who comes to mind.

since high level bball players generally have good quicks, i suppose flat out speed is the one thing we can't gauge from watching them play bball.

McSwain seems to have really good quicks, so hard to think he's gone unnoticed by the football staff. (DE maybe if he doesn't have TE speed or hands).

i wonder how much being in the north or south, influences whether some go bball or fball.
Interesting question. I know that Antonio Gates was from Kent State. Tony Gonzalez was a surfer b ball player from Huntington Beach. Fuchs was from NY. Those basketball guys who transition to TE come from everywhere. Ball State had a forward last year get a Bears undrafted free agent contract. Kids last name was House. He played high school football at Concord with spriggs I believe. So there’s a lot of potential with these kind of guys. Mcswain has what you’re looking for.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
The ncaa rules dictate that IU use a scholarship if any grant in aid is given. He could walk on but then he’d have to pay his own way. Can you imagine how those football factories would abuse a rule like this if they were able?

Its not high risk high reward. It’s low risk because it’s one year. Every year there are typically 4-6 scholarships spots left that get handed out to walk ons in the form of one year renewable scholarships. While this is a nice gesture, the walk on has already demonstrated they will play for nothing, plus we no longer use these for our ST studs since TA is giving them rides now.

My first initial thought was that he had "glass hands" but essentially the same thing. No way as a TE.

Freddie McSwain played WR throughout his high school career. He was a 6’5” 200lb senior in 2014 at Hinesville Liberty H.S. in Georgia with no offers. You can see a few fleeting clips of him on Max Preps. By that time, his focus had shifted to basketball. He wasn’t likely receiving offers for football as most coaches knew that he was not going forward with that sport.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/default.aspx?careerid=61bb2053-eef4-e211-99e4-002655e6c126

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Freddie McSwain played WR throughout his high school career. He was a 6’5” 200lb senior in 2014 at Hinesville Liberty H.S. in Georgia with no offers. You can see a few fleeting clips of him on Max Preps. By that time, his focus had shifted to basketball. He wasn’t likely receiving offers for football as most coaches knew that he was not going forward with that sport.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/default.aspx?careerid=61bb2053-eef4-e211-99e4-002655e6c126

Personally, I'd love to see him give it a shot.

McSwain doesn't have the hands to play football. He's big and fast enough but he his hands fail him a lot. His hand are pretty small. However, he did say in a recent interview that he gets asked all the time about playing FBall, but claims he has no interest.

McSwain doesn't have the hands to play football. He's big and fast enough but he his hands fail him a lot. His hand are pretty small. However, he did say in a recent interview that he gets asked all the time about playing FBall, but claims he has no interest.

Thanks for the info.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT