ADVERTISEMENT

Mayor Pete

Do you think that's partially to explain why the rich tend to stay rich...​

Those are the job creators.

...and the poor tend to stay poor?
Only the lazy ones.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/12/2020-candidate-pete-buttigieg-on-taxing-the-rich-future-of-us-capitalism.html

Great interview with Buttigieg here on his vision for the future of the economy and American capitalism.

CNBC said:
John Harwood: You have an unusually broad set of peer groups, angles of vision on the American economy as a mayor, as a veteran, as a McKinsey management consultant. What's right about American capitalism?

Pete Buttigieg: Well, American capitalism is one of the most productive forces ever known to man, and there's so much that this country has been able to unlock, especially in the last century, in terms of technology, in terms of prosperity. Now where it goes wrong is when it's only being experienced in certain parts of the country or by certain kinds of people, and I think it goes to show just how important it is for capitalism to work that it be backed by all of the other pieces that business alone can't solve. But when it's working right, there's nothing like it. It's extraordinary.

You think about the changes that have happened, the advancements in health, in communications in every field that had been led by our country. What frightens me is it's no longer obvious that our country will be the most important driver of advancements of humankind in the 21st century. Not unless we do some things differently.

John Harwood: Is that because you think the system is in some way rigged?

Pete Buttigieg: Yeah. It's pretty typical human behavior for people to try to make sure the rules work to their benefit. That's why the U.S. is based on the idea of a robust legal system and constraints on the excesses of anybody, especially concentrated wealth. And yet we're at this moment where concentrated wealth has begun to turn into concentrated power. More than begun. It's well underway. The thing that makes capitalism capitalism is competition. But as you have more and more corporate agglomerations of power, you're going to see less and less competition.

John Harwood: Is that the reason why you think we have expanding income inequality?

Pete Buttigieg: I think it's a vicious cycle. This didn't just happen. The economy is not some creature that just lumbers along on its own. It's an interaction between private sector and public sector. And public sector policies, for basically as long as I've been alive, have been skewed in a direction that's increasing inequality.

And a lot of this is the consequence of what you might call the Reagan consensus. There was a period where even Democrats seemed to operate in this framework that assumes that the only thing you'd ever do with a tax is cut it. That those tax cuts were assumed to pay for themselves. The empirical collapse of that supply side consensus, I think, is one of the defining moments of this period that we're living through.

Reactions: hoot1
Thursday polls: Mayor Pete 3rd in both Iowa and New Hampshire.
th

I'm dreaming of him vs. Trump in a debate. The dude is smart, unflappable, genuine, sincere, and quick on his feet. I think he'd eat Trump alive.

He’s been in the minor leagues

Debating the sitting POTUS on the national stage a little different yes?

Depends on the POTUS...so...you know. We all found out it didn’t matter that Trump looked like the impatient, immature idiot that he is during the debates with Hillary. Incompetence and ignorance are appealing to a large number of voters.

Reactions: MaxCoke

Trump had never been in any political league at all before the 2016 election. He looked and acted like a crass, obnoxious, mostly clueless buffoon in every debate. He didn’t win any debate on substance, not even against HRC, and I have very little sympathy for most of her substance.

In the end it didn’t matter. He won the GOP nomination to my extreme displeasure, and then he beat HRC who will forever be the worst candidate in history after losing to the most cartoonish and unfit candidate in history (at least in my lifetime - not counting some of the clowns that ran third party campaigns).

I’d guess he’d lose every debate with Buttigieg, but it might not matter.

Reactions: zeke4ahs and MrBing
Trump had never been in any political league at all before the 2016 election. He looked and acted like a crass, obnoxious, mostly clueless buffoon in every debate. He didn’t win any debate on substance, not even against HRC, and I have very little sympathy for most of her substance.

In the end it didn’t matter. He won the GOP nomination to my extreme displeasure, and then he beat HRC who will forever be the worst candidate in history after losing to the most cartoonish and unfit candidate in history (at least in my lifetime - not counting some of the clowns that ran third party campaigns).

Trump could say the earth was square and the sun rose in the West and some would cheer him for sticking it to the media.

Reactions: MaxCoke and RBB89
Depends on the POTUS...so...you know. We all found out it didn’t matter that Trump looked like the impatient, immature idiot that he is during the debates with Hillary. Incompetence and ignorance are appealing to a large number of voters.
I wasn't a fan, but I never could understand the visceral hatred of the Anybody But Hillary crowd. Especially when the Anybody was Trump.

That being the case, we may see the reverse in 2020, as long as the Dems nominate a decent candidate. And then I suppose there will be people who won't understand the visceral hatred of the Anybody But Trump crowd. But that's because they're stoopid.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I wasn't a fan, but I never could understand the visceral hatred of the Anybody But Hillary crowd. Especially when the Anybody was Trump.

That being the case, we may see the reverse in 2020, as long as the Dems nominate a decent candidate. And then I suppose there will be people who won't understand the visceral hatred of the Anybody But Trump crowd. But that's because they're stoopid.

Let’s say for a second that in 2016 the dems did nominate the absolute worst candidate they could’ve ever dreamed up. Like, if the dems has access to Frankenstein’s lab, they couldn’t have created a worse candidate than Hillary. She still won the popular vote by 3 million votes and, if not for 0.5% here and 1% there in three states, would’ve won the EC as well.

She was a bad candidate but she still won 3 million more votes!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT