ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe we should become a pressing team

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
with how bad our half court defense is maybe we should go full court like we did the last 3 minutes last night because it couldn't be any worse than what we see from the half court defense. With how CTC wants to play up tempo maybe we should just go to the old Loyla Marymount system of pressing and running and gunning.

Maybe. Can they stay out of foul trouble.

Robinson has the ability to help this team at some point but he is struggling now. Maybe the press would do it because he does excel taking the ball to the basket when it he isn't trying to do it over a 7 footer. Maybe in the open court off of turnovers.

I know that April is supposedly not ready but I'd be more than happy to see him get a chance to defend in the paint. It can't be worse than having SFs trying to defend the paint even if he racks up fouls preventing easy buckets. Certainly he can mix in some blocks and alter some shots. Would he mess up the offense that much as compared to Stan in the half court offense.

It is a pretty reasonable and sound idea which is certainly worth trying. I don't think we can really play any type of sustained halfcourt defense with our current options inside. At least pressing would play more to our strengths. If it is successful, we can still do it even when HMP returns.

Re: Sounds good...

Not sure on how to get CTC to try it, but he's got to try something. Our half court D is terrible. He wants to play fast, so why not double down and speed up the game by pressing? Maybe get some steals or TOs, maybe get the other team to shoot too fast for their personnel, get us off and running? I like it. And, as has been said, IT CANNOT BE ANY WORSE THAN WE'RE DOING NOW. We can go at least 10 deep from the bench to give our runners some breathers if necessary. Now would be a great time to throw in a wrinkle like that in the B1G.

I said the same thing on here about five or six weeks ago

and a bunch of people disagreed with me.

Re: I said the same thing on here about five or six weeks ago

Maybe CTC has been secretly holding this strategy back, waiting for the calendar to turn to February? Or, I am the king of wishful thinking.

Yes, because giving up wide open layups would help us

somehow? Teams can't just implement a press 1/2 way through the season and expect to be competent. Teams that press well have been pressing well since November. Teams that press well recruit players to play in that press..

My gawd...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT