ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Canada's Offense

Dantonio must've listened, he held Canada to a field goal in a 24-3 blitzkrieg. You're right, Allen needs a STRONG defensive showing and W against Maryland!!

Interesting to see how many of those guys on both teams have connections via area (in one case even more then that! Joshua Browns brother plays for MD)...

Maryland looks like a faster version of Iowa on offense. Let's hope we've learned to wrap up and put the guy on the ground during the bye week...

Last edited:
Reactions: IUCol
We will undoubtedly make Canada look like a candidate for Big Ten Coach of the Year on Saturday.

Maryland has been up an down...but compared to us, more up than down. They have some talent and speed on that team. Truth is they just look better than us...and have played better than us. What is the line? I would be surprised if we were picked over them...

We will undoubtedly make Canada look like a candidate for Big Ten Coach of the Year on Saturday.
Thank you for your ever positive posts. You just aren't going to be happy until everyone here is as miserable as you. GO away. People here want too have some hope. Who the hell are you to take that away...just because baby is hurting. Grow up...grow up...grow up...or get the hell out and leave us alone to support IU FB...

You know what...you sound just like a PU fan...aren't you proud?

Reactions: NatHillIV
Canada is considered by many to be one of the best offensive minds in college football.

If we hold them under 31 points and get a Take Away or two I think we'll have a shot at them...

Problem is, of course, in that scenario we have to score at least 32 for the W...

I'm looking for our guys to show up this weekend on both sides of the ball...

Reactions: ESalum86 and IUCol
Love to see Matt return as our OC...but he is headed for HC territory imo...

Reactions: 76-1

I remember him as a GA... He lived and breathed Football.

I recall being in the old "underground bunker" offices speaking with Coach Muehling and in the next office you could hear Matt Canada earnestly quizzing the other GA's with down and distance scenarios and "the school solution" versus his solution.

He's earned his way up the ladder. Coach Mallory chose well...

If IU wins and plays well, will you come back and say "I was mad, but I was wrong." Or just let it go that you trash the team you claim to want to see do well, even when they do?

If IU wins and plays well, will you come back and say "I was mad, but I was wrong." Or just let it go that you trash the team you claim to want to see do well, even when they do?

As I said before: I want to see IU thrash their remaining opponents. Why would I not?

But I am grounded in reality, have seen this movie too many times and know the ending. Plus, I have no faith in the staff to do any motivation with what is on the line. We’ll shoot ourselves in the foot a half-dozen times during the game and lose, likely big.

And, if by some miracle, they prove me wrong. I will return and eat crow gladly.

Maryland has been up an down...but compared to us, more up than down. They have some talent and speed on that team. Truth is they just look better than us...and have played better than us. What is the line? I would be surprised if we were picked over them...

Last I looked the line had them (Maryland) as 1.5 pt underdogs (which in my unscientific, backed by nothing but experience, analysis means the tout card guys expect us to lose by 9 [my system says if you aren't a 10 pt pick at home they've got you penciled in for an L])... And no I'm not willing to attempt to defend this hypothesis...;)

The refs could well be the variable that makes this a tough W but if we play well enough, long enough, we can beat them too.

I figure Delaney wants MD Bowl eligible, but the bookies can probably eat this one (to maintain some semblance of the mark being occasionally able to win one)..., so we may only be working against one ref versus three...:cool:

Last edited:
But I am grounded in reality, have seen this movie too many times and know the ending.

There are a number of us here who are "grounded in reality" and understand it will be an uphill battle to find two wins in the next three games. Like every true fan, I die a little inside when IU loses a game that is winnable. I've been following them seriously since I was 11. I've had 44 years comprised mostly of disappointment. I can assure you I am quite as unhappy with this season as you, but what I won't do is constantly spam the board with basically the same post over and over and over again shouting my opinion of the current staff. I won't do this for a couple of reasons:

1) While I've likely watched as much college football as most folks and consider myself of at least average intelligence, I simply am not qualified to make that judgment. I have a fan's opinion and one thing I know is the judgement of fans is usually worth a bucket of warm spit. I believe the school finally understands the importance of football and will eventually get it right if they haven't already. Jobs can be on the line if they don't which means they've got a lot more skin in the game that I do.

2) Most importantly, I learned a long time ago my self worth is not wrapped up with the performance of any of my sports teams. I will root for my Hoosiers with all my heart and soul each week, but should they lose, I still have an amazing family, wonderful friends and a job I enjoy. I will heal myself with their company and return for the next game.

I do not doubt your sincerity as a Hoosier fan in the least. I do fear, however, you may not be going about it in the most healthy way.

Canada is considered by many to be one of the best offensive minds in college football.

If we hold them under 31 points and get a Take Away or two I think we'll have a shot at them...

Problem is, of course, in that scenario we have to score at least 32 for the W...

Maryland is a completely 1 dimensional offense, and if you can contain the rush, you can completely shut down them down, if not they can score a ton of points. They are putting up 290+ yds on the ground in their wins (with the exception of Texas in game 1) and 130 or less in their losses. They have only passed for more than 125 yds in 2 games so far, and have been held under 85 yds passing in all their losses. Outside of triple option teams, Maryland is the worst passing offense in the country.

We will either hold them to 20 pts or less, or they score 35+. I think there is less than a 5% chance they score between 20 and 35, so I think its actually the 20 pt barrier that we need to be looking at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
My Lord, when did you start taking downers? Did fpaugh take over your sign on?

I do understand your frustration...I sat through the rain, cold, and misery of the Minnesota game and wanted to throw a few grenades on to the IU sideline to wake their @$$es up. That game was a joke - there shouldn't have been a need for a valiant comeback. I'm still pi$$ed about it.

But, patience is needed to shed years and years of crap from this program. I think we'll get there with this crew in charge.

Reactions: 76-1

He was an outsider on the Maryland staff and might have been in position to take over as HC there, until he came across as very tone deaf in interviews after taking over as interim HC. Let's just say he didn't demonstrate the requisite sensitivity concerning the situation. He may be a football genius but he's certainly not very media savvy. And I believe he's had a history of disagreements with HCs. To me, he looks like a Kevin Wilson-type personality. I don't think he'll get a high profile HC position, but he may be a candidate for less desirable D1 positions ala IU/Glass/Wilson.

Maryland is a completely 1 dimensional offense, and if you can contain the rush, you can completely shut down them down, if not they can score a ton of points. They are putting up 290+ yds on the ground in their wins (with the exception of Texas in game 1) and 130 or less in their losses. They have only passed for more than 125 yds in 2 games so far, and have been held under 85 yds passing in all their losses. Outside of triple option teams, Maryland is the worst passing offense in the country.

We will either hold them to 20 pts or less, or they score 35+. I think there is less than a 5% chance they score between 20 and 35, so I think its actually the 20 pt barrier that we need to be looking at.

Hope you are right and ordinarily I'd agree with the 20 points you're speaking of but my 31 has both bad/no calls and poor Free Safety play factored in...

I'd much prefer that Canada has an off day, the Maryland players just decide they want to call it a season, our FS remembers how to play the position and the Refs are ticked that the other crews got paid more under the table this week and just go ahead and call it straight up..., resulting in a runaway shut out for our team...

I'll take the W however anyway we can get it, ugly or beautiful, one point or by 51...

Reactions: ESalum86
My Lord, when did you start taking downers? Did fpaugh take over your sign on?

I do understand your frustration...I sat through the rain, cold, and misery of the Minnesota game and wanted to throw a few grenades on to the IU sideline to wake their @$$es up. That game was a joke - there shouldn't have been a need for a valiant comeback. I'm still pi$$ed about it.

But, patience is needed to shed years and years of crap from this program. I think we'll get there with this crew in charge.

Fpeaugh has not taken over my account but he and others have opened my eyes. In order to get this program on a different level we have to do things differently than we have in the past. Now, the facilities are a start. Lord knows, we didn’t do anything like that in the past. Shame on Floyd and Clancy Donniger for their lack of investment and fundraising. I guess when you have an iconic tyrant across the parking lot, you don’t want to upset the apple cart.
However, with coaching, we repeat the same idiotic patterns and expect different results. We’ve hired 3 coordinators and they haven’t succeeded. We hired a re-tread who was out of coaching and failed at his previous stop. The only two guys that either were on the right track or had a modest amount of success (Mallory and Hep). They both brought their staffs from their previous stops.
Gee - that seemed like the formula to succeed. Why didn’t we try that this last hire? Instead, we revert to our old ways and go back to the same process that has failed before?
I just don’t see promising signs from this group that suggest that things will be different. Fpeaugh, who I argued with tooth and nail, seems to be onto something that many are refusing to acknowledge and there are a lot of young guys out there that would love to coach here and have proven their chops at other programs with less infrastructure in place. Matt Wells comes to mind.

Fpeaugh has not taken over my account but he and others have opened my eyes. In order to get this program on a different level we have to do things differently than we have in the past. Now, the facilities are a start. Lord knows, we didn’t do anything like that in the past. Shame on Floyd and Clancy Donniger for their lack of investment and fundraising. I guess when you have an iconic tyrant across the parking lot, you don’t want to upset the apple cart.
However, with coaching, we repeat the same idiotic patterns and expect different results. We’ve hired 3 coordinators and they haven’t succeeded. We hired a re-tread who was out of coaching and failed at his previous stop. The only two guys that either were on the right track or had a modest amount of success (Mallory and Hep). They both brought their staffs from their previous stops.
Gee - that seemed like the formula to succeed. Why didn’t we try that this last hire? Instead, we revert to our old ways and go back to the same process that has failed before?
I just don’t see promising signs from this group that suggest that things will be different. Fpeaugh, who I argued with tooth and nail, seems to be onto something that many are refusing to acknowledge and there are a lot of young guys out there that would love to coach here and have proven their chops at other programs with less infrastructure in place. Matt Wells comes to mind.

While I loved Hep, and he did a huge service by getting people to care about IU football again, its really unclear if he was on the right track for the long term. He did go 5-7 (3-5) in his last season, but had to squeak by terrible Ball St and Illinois teams and a somewhat bad Iowa team to do so. IU was also absolutely thrashed by any good team they played, and had a significantly more embarrassingly bad loss up in Minneapolis than what happened this year. And no one on the staff that Hep brought with him has even sniffed at a power 5 job since they left IU. Canada has made an name for himself, but he was a DiNardo holdover. So the evidence more likely points to failure for Hep as well.

There is no real formula for success, all are a crapshoot. The 2 longest tenured HCs in the BT were outside the box hires: Ferentz (NFL OL coach) and Fitzgerald (LB coach with 5 total years of coaching experience). Some of the biggest flameout coaching hires in the last 20 years or so of the BT have been HCs coming from smaller schools (Hazell, John L Smith, Tim Beckman, Rich Rod)

Reactions: IUCol and 76-1

Ask Ed Orgeron about Matt Canada.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT