ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Coyle awfully disappointing today

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
This morning Jim Coyle' show played a tape of a statement made at the coaches show last night where a guy got up and said something to the effect that he was a huge fan, that he loved Tom Allen, that he played seven years of semi-pro football and that everybody in his section very disappointed in the play calling. And the he reminded Tom Allen that this was a business.

Jim Coyle was literally trembling and he wouldn't even read the statement. He wouldn't even comment on the statement. One of his assistants just said let's play the tape. Coyle was so scared that he didn't want to take responsibility for playing the tape on his own show. No exaggeration

Coyle mumbled about he or other sports broadcasters being unable to make that statement. It said there would be negative consequences for anyone who asked such a question. I am paraphrasing here. It was incredibly embarrassing.

If I had not seen it I would not have believed it. But it explains a lot why Indiana sports journalism has a history of accepting mediocrity or worse without any type of a challenge.

It is linked on this website's homepage. I encourage everyone to take a look at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Is the bottom line take away that Allen and the team are really bad? And that the media is afraid to write or say anything negative?
I might be missing your point.
I encourage you to watch it enjoy your own conclusions.

For what it's worth, it doesn't matter who the Hoosiers play I start out watching each game with Jim Carrey's optimism in Dumb and Dumber: there is a chance!

Last edited:
This morning Jim Coyle' show played a tape of a statement made at the coaches show last night where a guy got up and said something to the effect that he was a huge fan, that he loved Tom Allen, that he played seven years of semi-pro football and that everybody in his section very disappointed in the play calling. And the he reminded Tom Allen that this was a business.

Jim Coyle was literally trembling and he wouldn't even read the statement. He wouldn't even comment on the statement. One of his assistants just said let's play the tape. Coyle was so scared that he didn't want to take responsibility for playing the tape on his own show. No exaggeration

Coyle mumbled about he or other sports broadcasters being unable to make that statement. It said there would be negative consequences for anyone who asked such a question. I am paraphrasing here. It was incredibly embarrassing.

If I had not seen it I would not have believed it. But it explains a lot why Indiana sports journalism has a history of accepting mediocrity or worse without any type of a challenge.

It is linked on this website's homepage. I encourage everyone to take a look at it.
I’ll have to watch it and judge for myself. If it played out the way you’re describing it here it sounds pretty disgraceful on Coyle’s part.

Possibly it was two days ago but on his show he said something to the effect that the coaches were not truthful in their responses about the offense performance. In addition something to the effect there was not going to be any significant ownership to change with their responses. So maybe he felt he had already said what he was going to?

Reactions: nichlee

Fanbois(commerce division)exist on a thread of forbearance from the Powers That Be...any semblance of dissent can ruin the relationship and result in 'negative consequences'..as Coyle mentioned.

And yet he went on to say that DeBoer should have been made the head coach, among other less than complimentary things about the current coaching.

You're reading way to much into this.

Fanbois(commerce division)exist on a thread of forbearance from the Powers That Be...any semblance of dissent can ruin the relationship and result in 'negative consequences'..as Coyle mentioned.
Yep, I think Jim is caught between a rock and a hard place. It would be great if he could get some sponsorship that had some independence. But this is Indiana. I have recollections of Bobby Knight swearing a blue streak tat the reporting pool and kicking people out of the room not to mention the outrageous insults. As Jack Nicholson said: you can't handle the truth!

Jim Coyle has two or three guests on every day and he puts his heart and soul into his show as do his assistants. But I could definitely see scenarios where somebody gets upset and contacts a journalist or a broadcaster and says I don't want you appearing on that Jim Coyle show ever again. Otherwise you've had your last interview with me. I'm not saying the Tom Allen would do that. I'm just saying that the whole broadcast community seems to be constantly walking around like they're on thin ice afraid to say the wrong thing at the wrong time even if it is obvious as the nose on their face.

Last edited:
And yet he went on to say that DeBoer should have been made the head coach, among other less than complimentary things about the current coaching.

You're reading way to much into this.
If Deboer were head coach of this team, they win a truckload of games. Deboer's coaching prowess would beat quite a few of these mediocre BT teams coming up on the schedule.

At some point in time, Indiana has to make a QUALITY football hire. The excuse jig is up!! The money that's streaming in from the TV deal is big $$$.

To sit here and think the season could possibly be down the drain after 4 weeks is offensive, it offends me.

Just watched it. I didn’t see it the way you did at all. Jim addressed it head-on.

I heard nothing wrong with what Coyle said, or how he approached it.... why any member of the media should be afraid of repurcussions has always blown me away. As long as they're saying the truth, there's nothing to fear.

He made a comment about repurcusions... for what?... merely doing your job?... Sorry, but any member of the media who is afraid to ask the hard questions will always lose...

As a member of the sports media for four decades my advice is to live by a mantra that a famous magazine publisher told me years ago...

If you feel threatened by someone because they don't like hearing the truth... think to yourself... (yea, it's an old saying from Ben Franklin, but it still applies...)

"It's not wise to fight with a man who buys his ink by the barrel..."

Last edited:
If Deboer were head coach of this team, they win a truckload of games. Deboer's coaching prowess would beat quite a few of these mediocre BT teams coming up on the schedule.

At some point in time, Indiana has to make a QUALITY football hire. The excuse jig is up!! The money that's streaming in from the TV deal is big $$$.

To sit here and think the season could possibly be down the drain after 4 weeks is offensive, it offends me.

There are coaches out there at the G5 and probably FCS levels who are basically DeBoer clones. You just have to find them.

Think about it: DeBoer was killing it at Sioux Falls for 9 years. He had the chops back then.
Same thing with the guy at K-State, Kielman, from North Dakota State U.

Doesn’t matter if it was FCS. If you can coach, you can coach.
If IU were to go after someone, get a previous head coach. No more coordinator hires. Too much learning on the job and that’s a terrible fit for IU. My one exception- I’d go after Jim Leonhard in a heartbeat. He actually coached a Big Ten power program for 1/2 a season. Not a long time but he’s ready to be a head coach. It’s why guys like Luke Fickell were successful at Cincy. They spent time in the HCchair previously. Dantonio, Kelly - these are guys that were successful HCs at previous stops.
The question is: is IU leadership savvy enough to recognize it?

They haven’t shown they can do their homework.

Paul Chryst, Ken Niumatalolo, Clay Helton, Kane Womack, Trent Lewis, Dan Mullen. Jamey Chadwell. A few good options, and I’m sure I missed a bunch.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
There are coaches out there at the G5 and probably FCS levels who are basically DeBoer clones. You just have to find them.

Think about it: DeBoer was killing it at Sioux Falls for 9 years. He had the chops back then.
Same thing with the guy at K-State, Kielman, from North Dakota State U.

Doesn’t matter if it was FCS. If you can coach, you can coach.
If IU were to go after someone, get a previous head coach. No more coordinator hires. Too much learning on the job and that’s a terrible fit for IU. My one exception- I’d go after Jim Leonhard in a heartbeat. He actually coached a Big Ten power program for 1/2 a season. Not a long time but he’s ready to be a head coach. It’s why guys like Luke Fickell were successful at Cincy. They spent time in the HCchair previously. Dantonio, Kelly - these are guys that were successful HCs at previous stops.
The question is: is IU leadership savvy enough to recognize it?

They haven’t shown they can do their homework.
YES! This what I preach, find a guy who has won and won big at a lower level -- like DeBoer. He won three Nat'l Championships at Div 2 or is it Div 3. Coaching is coaching, if you can win consistently at Div 2 or MAC you can do it at power 5.

YES! This what I preach, find a guy who has won and won big at a lower level -- like DeBoer. He won three Nat'l Championships at Div 2 or is it Div 3. Coaching is coaching, if you can win consistently at Div 2 or MAC you can do it at power 5.
I know it’s basketball but Archie Miller won big at a smaller school and wasn’t able to pan out at IU. Winning at a lower level is a good indicator but it’s no guarantee. Still have to do your homework on the entire range of success factors. We have not proven the ability to do that very well over the last 100 years.

Coaching is coaching, that is true, but at this level in today’s environment, it takes more than that. Unless , and until, our university decides to “really” commit to playing big boy football (and that means committing a lot of $$$$$$) we will always struggle. We have spent like $100 million over the last 10 years ( didn’t honestly look up the numbers, but I believe it is somewhere in that ballpark) and our administration is thumping their chests, lol. That isn’t near enough if you really want to compete. See Nebraska just announced a $450M investment, Kansas, yes Kansas $350M, and on and on, that is the type of investment needed if we want to really compete.
I defended Scott Dolson on here last week to those that say he doesn’t care about football, I know that isn’t true, however, what I’m not sure about is if he just doesn’t know how to fix it, or if his hands are tied. I believe it’s the latter. I do know we don’t have large donors stepping up to donate to football ( see the Ryan family just donated $480M to Northwestern toward their new stadium) Facilities, and NIL, and it only takes money, question is , where does it come from ?

Coaching is coaching, that is true, but at this level in today’s environment, it takes more than that. Unless , and until, our university decides to “really” commit to playing big boy football (and that means committing a lot of $$$$$$) we will always struggle. We have spent like $100 million over the last 10 years ( didn’t honestly look up the numbers, but I believe it is somewhere in that ballpark) and our administration is thumping their chests, lol. That isn’t near enough if you really want to compete. See Nebraska just announced a $450M investment, Kansas, yes Kansas $350M, and on and on, that is the type of investment needed if we want to really compete.
I defended Scott Dolson on here last week to those that say he doesn’t care about football, I know that isn’t true, however, what I’m not sure about is if he just doesn’t know how to fix it, or if his hands are tied. I believe it’s the latter. I do know we don’t have large donors stepping up to donate to football ( see the Ryan family just donated $480M to Northwestern toward their new stadium) Facilities, and NIL, and it only takes money, question is , where does it come from ?

If you cannot live in the high rent district, you have to find a neighborhood more suitable to your economics.
This kind of thing won’t go on forever. The Big 18 won’t continue to subsidize IU’s welfare “handout” mentality if it cannot keep up.
The money is there. If IU chooses not to follow the other schools to the deep end of the pool….swim at your own risk.

#Mayberry U
#MomandPopShop
#Amatuer Hour

if Allen goes Dolson needs to be right behind him. that 20 mil buyout is justification enough.

Paul Chryst, Ken Niumatalolo, Clay Helton, Kane Womack, Trent Lewis, Dan Mullen. Jamey Chadwell. A few good options, and I’m sure I missed a bunch.
Florida sure didn't think Mullen was a good one.

I don't care if they are playing in the Taj Mahal of football
2 & 3 star players are not going to beat 4 & 5 star players
very often if ever, recruiting is everything. The SEC figured
that out a long time ago, that is why when an SEC school
hires a coach the only question the fans ask is can he
recruit?

Instead of spending time and money on concrete IU needs
to figure out a way to make the NIL pot much bigger, a legal
way of course. As someone once said, you pay them
they will come.

recruit?

they will come.
You are right about the NIL but Dolson has shown he doesn't care about football because coach Allen had to pay Sheridan for firing him and Bell to hire him. I hope at the end of this year, the end of his contract, he fires Bell. I don't think it is true he didn't have money he just doesn't like football. His BS at his interviews was bogus and I would fire him if I was the one that hired him. Making coach pay to fire and hire is ridiculous.

You are right about the NIL but Dolson has shown he doesn't care about football because coach Allen had to pay Sheridan for firing him and Bell to hire him. I hope at the end of this year, the end of his contract, he fires Bell. I don't think it is true he didn't have money he just doesn't like football. His BS at his interviews was bogus and I would fire him if I was the one that hired him. Making coach pay to fire and hire is ridiculous.

When Dolson was hired on the heels of his mentor, Fred Glass, I just shook my head thinking that if you were intent on an IU guy, why not make a hard play for the IU guy who had actually been an AD at 2 other schools outside of IU (Pat Kraft) and was our own associate AD for 2 years?
Instead, they went back to their tried and true formula of picking someone not qualified residing in the department. Absolutely terrible judgment.

#Keystone Cops

Remember . . . with Jim Coyle you get what you pay for. I still think he provides value.

If you cannot live in the high rent district, you have to find a neighborhood more suitable to your economics.
This kind of thing won’t go on forever. The Big 18 won’t continue to subsidize IU’s welfare “handout” mentality if it cannot keep up.
The money is there. If IU chooses not to follow the other schools to the deep end of the pool….swim at your own risk.

#Mayberry U
#MomandPopShop
#Amatuer Hour
When you say the “money is there” , you prove you haven’t a clue. Could the money be raised, I’m sure, but it will require institutional change In thought. One thing you are correct about, we need to decide whether we “want” to live in the “high rent district”, if not fine. If we do, it’s time to find and spend some money, otherwise the decision will be made for us. IU basketball only fans don’t think it will happen, but football pulls the monetary wagon, and we will be out if we choose not to compete.

recruit?

they will come.
Which is why I said , facilities and NIL, all it takes is money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT